Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:38:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BYE BYE  (Read 4675 times)
GREEDYJOHN (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 11:58:56 AM

Hi all,

Would any of you consider using a paintball marker for home defence, in a riot situation to ward off violent people from approaching your home?

NB: Paintball marker loaded with paintballs or hard balls, but shooting within the legal power limits of state.

would prefer a baseball bat or golf club, sadly in my country we cant have any weapons else i'd have a real gun for sure.

Where is that? Does that mean you can't have blunt and bladed weapons as well? I'm fairly sure there aren't countries where you can't own guns, only the regulations differ and as far as the bladed/blunt weapons you can have them anywhere in the world, same as air rifles, slingshots and paintball guns.

Some country's laws are worded so that citizens are unable to use weapons for self defence, or the victim risks being charged with pre-meditated crime.
That is why I suggest paintball for "home defence" only.
In a public place, my self defence weapon must be something that turned up accidentally, such as: water-bottle, broom stick (this is very popular), shoe, fists, apple and any non-bladed object. Even a screw-driver at a crime scene is viewed as pre-meditated crime.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 02:26:00 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2015, 02:48:06 PM by Spendulus

Hi all,

Would any of you consider using a paintball marker for home defence, in a riot situation to ward off violent people from approaching your home?

NB: Paintball marker loaded with paintballs or hard balls, but shooting within the legal power limits of state.

would prefer a baseball bat or golf club, sadly in my country we cant have any weapons else i'd have a real gun for sure.

Where is that? Does that mean you can't have blunt and bladed weapons as well? I'm fairly sure there aren't countries where you can't own guns, only the regulations differ and as far as the bladed/blunt weapons you can have them anywhere in the world, same as air rifles, slingshots and paintball guns.

Some country's laws are worded so that citizens are unable to use weapons for self defence, or the victim risks being charged with pre-meditated crime.
In a public place, my self defence weapon must be something that turned up accidentally, such as: water-bottle, broom stick (this is very popular), shoe, fists, apple and any non-bladed object. Even a screw-driver at a crime scene is viewed as pre-meditated crime.

Of course this is how the famed Irish Blackthrone "walking stick" came into existence, and also certain innocent looking British umbrellas.

They take some practice and also attention to clear space in the vicinity of the scuffle.  It's not unreasonable to think that one guy could take on three, he having the stick and they being unarmed.  A stick is also defense against a knife, since it can keep you out of reach of the blade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV7tb1Y6fAg

In the USA where I live this sort of stuff is pretty much totally useless, since it's assumed the Bad Guy always has a gun, whether he's showing it or not.  Your scenario was "home invasion", somewhat different than a street mugging.  Almost all home invaders are burglars who do not want a fight, they just want some easy money from a quick theft.  Faced with fighting or running, they should run.  But then there are some crazy ones.

It's always worthwhile to actually read the law.   Here are two radically different examples.  One has to do with what is on your person when you are out walking or driving, the other has to do with possession.

Texas - § 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.

New York -  A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree when: (1) He possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles, chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type slingshot or slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or (2) He possesses any dagger, dangerous knife, dirk, razor, stiletto, imitation pistol, or any other dangerous or deadly instrument or weapon with intent to use the same unlawfully against another

Obviously in Texas, all kinds of deadly things could be around your home, but in New York, they could not (within the letter of the law).
GREEDYJOHN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 09:21:01 PM

Even if it is not the best option, a paintball marker, tuned to fire at 25 - 30 Joules muzzle energy, is still a useful utility, especially with hard nylon balls.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 12:58:42 AM

Even if it is not the best option, a paintball marker, tuned to fire at 25 - 30 Joules muzzle energy, is still a useful utility, especially with hard nylon balls.
What would the rate of fire be?
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 04:11:15 AM

Hi all,

This is the real reason why I suggest paintball marker - it is a toy that can pack a punch if you add a few solid nylon balls to your ammo

I personally don't think a paintball marker is the best solution.   Depending on local laws this could be considered firing a projectile.   So you could possibly still have some of the same legal trouble just as firing a gun.  

And depending on if you have young kids it could be a bad idea.  Paintball markers are not really the most safe thing to leave loaded as there is not really near as many safety devices to make it safe as a gun would have.   For example a handgun can go in a nice small safe.  Paintball marker with hopper, and co2 is just a pretty long item.

So will it work... chances are yes.  But would I ever want to count on it no... I just think especially if you use hard nylon balls it opens you up to some of the same laws as firearms depending on where you are.
GREEDYJOHN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 04:54:51 AM

What would the rate of fire be?
As fast as you can pull the trigger. Some countries BAN full auto

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 07:30:12 AM

I compared my thoughts earlier about why I personally would not legally choose a marker.  But below is more of a factual reason I would not shoot nylon balls.

Lets say you do use a market as home defense.  You have no idea what the other person is using.  I realize it is different for all countries some cannot have firearms near as easy.  But i would hate to shoot a nylon ball that would not make it through plastic when they could be using green tips that go through steel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dGxRw8Jq70

I'm sure the ammo is not legal everywhere.  But it is a lot of places in US.  If you enjoy firearms you will enjoy seeing what the green tip ammo can do.
GREEDYJOHN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 08:37:24 AM

I compared my thoughts earlier about why I personally would not legally choose a marker.  But below is more of a factual reason I would not shoot nylon balls.

Lets say you do use a market as home defense.  You have no idea what the other person is using.  I realize it is different for all countries some cannot have firearms near as easy.  But i would hate to shoot a nylon ball that would not make it through plastic when they could be using green tips that go through steel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dGxRw8Jq70

I'm sure the ammo is not legal everywhere.  But it is a lot of places in US.  If you enjoy firearms you will enjoy seeing what the green tip ammo can do.
I am talking about home defence to scare or incapacitate an intruder with blunt force - I am not talking about war or murder. USA is terrible!

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 09:53:11 AM

I am talking about home defence to scare or incapacitate an intruder with blunt force - I am not talking about war or murder. USA is terrible!

I'm talking about home defense aswell.  I personally like USA but I will admit I am not fair opinion with living in it. I do like other counties aswell Smiley I am not closed minded.

But back to topic you can get a AR-15 pistol that is more compact then the paintball marker.  And can hold 30 of those green tips in it's magazine.

With a marker almost so much could be used to stop the projectile.  I don't care how hard the nylon it will bounce off walls, furniture, etc.  A bullet goes through these obstacles.   

Just my thoughts but I could be wrong.   
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 10:29:07 AM

In a public place? Does that mean you want to carry the marker wit you? I thought it was only for home use.
I'm sorry but I don't get how using any weapon to defend yourself at home could be viewed as pre-meditated. The guy jumped your fence, broke the window or picked the lock and got stabbed with a screwdriver or a kitchen knife while going through your stuff - obviously you must have planned that Cheesy

I didn't think about it but stargazer you have a great point.  Paintball marker is just as much pre-mediated. A paintball marker with special projectiles to make it hurt worse means you put in quite a bit of thought.  Also I know I stored my tanks long ago in a fridge.  Having tanks hooked up to marker and all set up shows again you planned it.

If you hurt someone with it, your just as liable for action no matter what item is used.
GREEDYJOHN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 11:44:23 AM

In a public place? Does that mean you want to carry the marker wit you? I thought it was only for home use.
I'm sorry but I don't get how using any weapon to defend yourself at home could be viewed as pre-meditated. The guy jumped your fence, broke the window or picked the lock and got stabbed with a screwdriver or a kitchen knife while going through your stuff - obviously you must have planned that Cheesy

I didn't think about it but stargazer you have a great point.  Paintball marker is just as much pre-mediated. A paintball marker with special projectiles to make it hurt worse means you put in quite a bit of thought.  Also I know I stored my tanks long ago in a fridge.  Having tanks hooked up to marker and all set up shows again you planned it.

If you hurt someone with it, your just as liable for action no matter what item is used.
The thing is, paintball marker is regarded as a TOY, yet it can still serve some defence purposes.
I understand that people need lethal self defence.
I need to satisfy some demands of people who live in NON-GUN countries:
Your paintball marker is a TOY under normal circumstances, so it will not draw suspicion even if your house was searched by police, even though it becomes a NON-LETHAL weapon under home defence situations.

GREEDYJOHN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 11:49:07 AM

I do not plan to use paintball marker outside my home, this is why I call it "HOME DEFENCE".
A paintball marker in a public place for no good reason (other than going or coming from paintball game) is regarded as an offensive weapon in a public place.
Everything is deemed pre-meditated in some countries (I have warned you Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy), because their laws are screwed. It just enables the courts to punish both victim and attacker.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 11:53:12 AM

The thing is, paintball marker is regarded as a TOY, yet it can still serve some defence purposes.
Your paintball marker is a TOY under normal circumstances, so it will not draw suspicion even if your house was searched by police, even though it becomes a NON-LETHAL weapon under home defence situations.
Are antique guns considered firearms in your country?

Here anything made before 1892 is not considered a gun legally.
GREEDYJOHN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 11:56:22 AM

Are you in the UK? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 05:16:50 PM

Are you in the UK? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
No, USA.  Most states here have this interpretation here about the old stuff, virtually any of the replicas of cowboy guns are not "firearms."  That includes those which used brass shells with black powder.  Just curious.

One antique musket is worth fifty paintball guns, lol...
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 05:23:32 PM

Where country do you live in?

I'm not sure it's regarded everywhere as a toy.  I know in US you have to be 18 to purchase a marker.   Some places are cautious on CO2 aswell and make it 18, but not all places seem to follow that.
GREEDYJOHN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 06:05:57 PM

I'm not sure it's regarded everywhere as a toy.  I know in US you have to be 18 to purchase a marker.   Some places are cautious on CO2 aswell and make it 18, but not all places seem to follow that.
OK, paintball marker is not a toy - it is even written on paintball markers that "this is not a toy" Wink
However, it is not looked upon as a lethal weapon, because it normally shoots water soluble paint filled projectiles that burst on impact.
They are used in games for people as young as 13.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 07:08:50 PM

OK, paintball marker is not a toy - it is even written on paintball markers that "this is not a toy" Wink
However, it is not looked upon as a lethal weapon, because it normally shoots water soluble paint filled projectiles that burst on impact.

Of course this suggestion is insidiously evil, but if you were using nitrous oxide propellant instead of CO2, and thin walled balls that burst on impact, they would be saturated with laughing gas and soon completely lose their thieving and robbing capabilities.

Must be something illegal about that.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 07:12:27 PM

With you looking so hard into markers as a option.  Can you say what country you are from?  I'm just curious on your laws.
GREEDYJOHN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 07:30:01 PM

With you looking so hard into markers as a option.  Can you say what country you are from?  I'm just curious on your laws.
I live in Europe, you can guess the country yourself.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: