Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:52:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [MARKETING]Get ZeroHedge to publish an article about Bitcoin  (Read 11296 times)
unclescrooge (OP)
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 05:45:53 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2012, 06:01:23 PM by unclescrooge

Hello fellow bitcoiners,

I often read the blog ZeroHedge. They have a quite pessimistic but realist view on the economy, and some of the bloggers there often try to sell their "solution" to "protect your capital/wealth against the coming end of the world".

We can all agree that bitcoin is perfectly designed to be a great store of value, being non inflationary, so why not sell our own solution to protect others wealth? I think we can touch a public open to the idea of bitcoin. Plus bitcoin is also perfectly designed to survive a financial meltdown, as it doesn't need banks to operate. Bref, it's perfect for the target audience!

So whose up to write and submit an article to zerohedge? English isn't my primary language so I'm not able to produce a well-writen article?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 05:56:39 PM

GREAT idea.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 06:09:05 PM

Interesting...

I actually referenced a zerohedge article in trying to explain Bitcoin on another forum.

Let me look into that site a bit more...
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 06:12:24 PM

ZH has mentioned Bitcoin once or twice as i recall but certainly no full length article.
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 09:21:05 PM

Okay, I finally got around to completing an article for Zero Hedge. Please let me know any suggestions. Also, does anyone have a ZH account for submission? It looks like it takes 4 to 7 days for new account approval. If nobody has an account I'll create one there and submit. I hereby release this into the public domain. Please feel free to use as you like.

Betting on Bitcoin

Word is getting out on bitcoins, a potentially world changing currency. By now many in tech circles have heard of Bitcoin, but still relatively few really know all about it. There isn't one easy-to-understand all encompassing guide. This results in misconceptions about Bitcoin which is complex, being both a currency and payment network for that currrency. To fully appreciate Bitcoin one really needs a good understanding of math, cryptography, computer networking, programming, economics, and the nature of "money". In light of that it's no wonder this open-source project is sometimes erroneously summed up as a "Ponzi scheme".

Still, many people around the world are betting Bitcoin will be around in the future. The bitcoin/dollar exchange rate has gone from a few cents in 2009 when Bitcoin started to over $10 per coin as of August 2012.

To answer what exactly Bitcoin is it's helpful to know several key things:

1. Bitcoin is not controlled by any central authority; it's completely decentralized
2. Bitcoins come into existence (as defined by the protocol, which everyone agrees to by using) through a process called "mining" which involves using a computer to solve a problem of varying difficulty
3. There will only ever be 21 million bitcoins generated; the problem difficulty is adjusted automatically so bitcoin creation follows a fairly stable and known inflation rate [1]
4. Bitcoins can be subdivided to 8 decimal places
5. Bitcoins obtain a value because people want them for different reasons, and they are scarce (the same way gold obtains value)
6. Bitcoins, if used properly, can provide anonymity for their use
7. Bitcoins can be used to transfer any amount of value around the world, almost instantly, by anyone, with little or no cost
8. The Bitcoin code has been reviewed by many qualified experts (it's open-source) and serious flaws, in terms of bugs, have yet to be found
9. It's unlikely any entity, such as a government, could entirely prevent the use or growth of Bitcoin without shutting down the entire Internet

With those qualities one may begin to understand the potential Bitcoin brings, but who is supposed to use it and how?

Bitcoin draws to it anyone wanting payment freedom. Bitcoin accounts can't be frozen, and anonymous payments are possible if precautions are taken. Bitcoins are also a global currency, so while their legal status is now in a gray area, should they ever be outlawed somewhere it wouldn't mean they were outlawed everywhere; that would put pressure on regimes doing the outlawing. 

More specifically, some Bitcoin users might be described as libertarian minded. Many of Bitcoin's proponents have even been called the digital equivalent of "gold bugs" because bitcoins work similar to gold as currency since they can't be arbitrarily inflated.

While it may not be easy to understand bitcoins, it's straightforward to use them. All that's needed is a standard computer and Internet connection to download freely available "wallet" software from sources like bitcoin.org. Wallets use cryptographic keypairs, consisting of a public and private key, for account addresses (e.g. 175tWpb8K1S7NmH4Zx6rewF9WQrcZv245W) allowing users to send coins to one another almost instantly. Ease of use is compared to sending email.

There are several ways to obtain bitcoins, including buying them, working or trading for them, or "mining" them. Mining is the term used to describe using a computer to solve the computational problem first and winning bitcoins, thereby bringing them into existence. Anyone can mine for bitcoins using software that is also freely available, but competition is now high. For many people it's easiest to buy bitcoins.

Bitcoins are now exchanged 24/7 for all sorts of things as would be expected of any currency. The web page at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade gives an idea of the type and variety of available goods and services there are for bitcoins.

As word continues to spread about bitcoins, and their adoption grows there is a good chance their value will continue to rise - not just compared to fiat currency, but also for the variety of things for which they are accepted. That probably makes bitcoins a very good bet.

[1] https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/File:Total_bitcoins_over_time_graph.png
DutchBrat

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 09:25:00 PM

I have a ZeroHedge account, but have never used it to submit an article

I will look into it

It's worth a shot, but don't be surprised if they don't publish it or shoot it down completely  Cheesy

Edit: it seems I can send it to the site and have them review it and decide to post it, or post it as a forum post, but then it obviously won't come up on their front page
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 09:30:01 PM

I have a ZeroHedge account, but have never used it to submit an article

I will look into it

It's worth a shot, but don't be surprised if they don't publish it or shoot it down completely  Cheesy

Really? Bitcoin seems made for their manifesto:

our mission:

to widen the scope of financial, economic and political information available to the professional investing public.
to skeptically examine and, where necessary, attack the flaccid institution that financial journalism has become.
to liberate oppressed knowledge.
to provide analysis uninhibited by political constraint.
to facilitate information's unending quest for freedom.

Ah, well. It's worth a shot! Thanks Cheesy
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 09:43:13 PM

I think it could be improved before submission. For example include some directions like this:

How to protect your bitcoins:
Rip out the hard drive and network card of an old laptop, boot from a live cd that includes bitaddress.org script, print out a list of numbers that someone would have to break the 2nd law of thermodynamics to guess. Next, print it out onto a transparency and use this acid ink trick to engrave it into a copper plate. Then piss on the plate to form a protective layer and put it in a safe place. You can transfer as many bitcoins there as you feel like. Now you are your own bank.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=100899.0
bitcoinstarter

Activity: 484

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 09:44:52 PM

Good thinking!
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 09:49:43 PM

Thank you for taking the initiative to get Bitcoin on ZeroHedge.  Some thoughts:

A large portion of the audience (or at least the commenters) are cynical goldbugs and preppers.  Although an article introducing Bitcoin might work fine on less ideological audiences, I think that you might be more successful if you do a more ambitious two or three-part offering (or 3-section article)  that, aside from introducing Bitcoin, also addresses up front the two main objections and misconceptions likely to come up from the commenter crowd.

1. Bitcoin vs. Gold
Explaining how they complement each other, why both are necessary under different scenarios like border crossings, confiscation resilience of Bitcoin versus gold, how the stupid objections to gold ('you can't eat it') also apply to Bitcoin and vice versa, pointing to George Selgin's work which correctly classifies Bitcoin as a new type of commodity.

2. Bitcoin in a Mad-Max no-electricity no-Internet scenario.
Check out the article "Bitcoin Under the Worst Possible Conditions" from the first issue of Bitcoin Magazine. The possibility of resilient peer-to-peer mesh networks.  Barter usage via Casascius gold/silver/bitcoin hybrid coins, Bitcoin paper bills, paper wallets, and other no-electricity physical bridges.  Etcetera.

But to be clear about these suggestions, even if you ignore or disagree with them, I'll still be grateful, any article is better than no article!
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 09:58:52 PM

Thank you for taking the initiative to get Bitcoin on ZeroHedge.  Some thoughts:

A large portion of the audience (or at least the commenters) are cynical goldbugs and preppers.  Although an article introducing Bitcoin might work fine on less ideological audiences, I think that you might be more successful if you do a more ambitious two or three-part offering (or 3-section article)  that, aside from introducing Bitcoin, also addresses up front the two main objections and misconceptions likely to come up from the commenter crowd.

1. Bitcoin vs. Gold
Explaining how they complement each other, why both are necessary under different scenarios like border crossings, confiscation resilience of Bitcoin versus gold, how the stupid objections to gold ('you can't eat it') also apply to Bitcoin and vice versa, pointing to George Selgin's work which correctly classifies Bitcoin as a new type of commodity.

Check out the article "Bitcoin Under the Worst Possible Conditions" from the first issue of Bitcoin Magazine. The possibility of resilient peer-to-peer mesh networks.  Barter usage via Casascius gold/silver/bitcoin hybrid coins, Bitcoin paper bills, paper wallets, and other no-electricity physical bridges.  Etcetera.

But to be clear about these suggestions, even if you ignore or disagree with them, I'll still be grateful, any article will be better than no article.

This is good.

I particularly like the "Bitcoin vs. Gold" angle. @DutchBrat and I are discussing sending in a draft to ZH to get their feedback, then possibly sending in a final article next week.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 10:07:43 PM

This is good.

I particularly like the "Bitcoin vs. Gold" angle. @DutchBrat and I are discussing sending in a draft to ZH to get their feedback, then possibly sending in a final article next week.

Great!  There's a lot of good material on the forum on the Bitcoin/Gold relationship, unfortunately it's dispersed across many threads (e.g. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=100065.0), but hopefully it can be used as a starting point.  There's some very sharp Bitcoin-loving gold writers (e.g. Trace Meyer) who might be able to help out as well.  Not sure if Bitcoin Magazine has or is planning an article on the topic also, would be good to see one, and perhaps that could be leveraged onto ZeroHedge or viceversa, possibly whatever you write could also be published on the magazine.

Thank you again for taking the initiative to get something done on the ZeroHedge front!
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 10:26:03 PM
Last edit: August 24, 2012, 10:44:21 PM by acoindr

This is good.

Great!  There's a lot of good material on the forum on the Bitcoin/Gold relationship, unfortunately it's dispersed across many threads (e.g. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=100065.0), but hopefully it can be used as a starting point.  There's some very sharp Bitcoin-loving gold writers (e.g. Trace Meyer) who might be able to help out as well.  Not sure if Bitcoin Magazine has or is planning an article on the topic also, would be good to see one, and perhaps that could be leveraged onto ZeroHedge or viceversa, possibly whatever you write could also be published on the magazine.

Thank you again for taking the initiative to get something done on the ZeroHedge front!

Awesome! Yeah, I think ZH has a great audience to get Bitcoin in front of. Let's see what we can do. It makes no sense not to try!
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 07:09:04 AM

Sweet... Agree that ZeroHedge is a great outlet. Even if they shoot this attempt down, they'll be less likely to shoot the next one down, and after they've heard about it enough, they'll eventually publish. Or they might just be cool with it from the start.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
perlboy

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2012, 08:40:01 AM

Agreed, I know some well capitalized people that read zerohedge as part of their bread and butter.

+1, I'd even write the article if we the group can get to a general consensus as to what should be said. Smiley

Stu

Numis Token - Numismatic Coins attached to the Ethereum network
Biza•io - Blockchain based banking software
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2012, 10:47:45 AM

Agreed, I know some well capitalized people that read zerohedge as part of their bread and butter.

+1, I'd even write the article if we the group can get to a general consensus as to what should be said. Smiley

Stu

Zh has a great audience. A huge number of financial professionals and funds make it a regular read as well as being on the top blog lists of all the major business publication sites.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 03:39:15 PM

1. Bitcoin vs. Gold

But to be clear about these suggestions, even if you ignore or disagree with them, I'll still be grateful, any article is better than no article!

+1
It's Fight Club! I always imagine the commenters to be a roomful of Max Keisers but without morals. One thought I had was making the article into a dialogue -- even a fictional "Bitcoin versus Krugman" shakedown of Fractional Reserve. Where's Matthew N. Wright when you need him??

To the OP acoindr: it's a great start, and don't feel bad when people start ripping the draft to pieces. It's always easier to improve upon something than to lay the foundations yourself.

Yeah, no worries. That's what it's meant to be, a foundation to get things moving. I think there is definitely room for improvement. It's a bit patchwork as I pulled things from different places. I was trying to both introduce bitcoins to newbies and answer unasked questions in a fairly short and concise way. It's just a starting point.
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 05:35:28 PM

you really have to address the "if you don't hold it, you don't own it" idea.

if you alone have the private keys - you hold it. fullstop.

unlike gold certificates. precious metals are substituted with paper very easily because they are hard to use in actual transactions. bitcoin overcomes this barrier because they are made to transact.
unclescrooge (OP)
aka Raphy

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 05:41:52 PM

Thanks acoindr and others for making this. I really like the ideas thrown here!
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 06:00:22 PM

you really have to address the "if you don't hold it, you don't own it" idea.

if you alone have the private keys - you hold it. fullstop.

unlike gold certificates. precious metals are substituted with paper very easily because they are hard to use in actual transactions. bitcoin overcomes this barrier because they are made to transact.

Good point. That could be a concern among traditional gold bugs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: