Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:45:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DEA Agents in Silk Road Case Face Fraud Charges  (Read 14410 times)
mantaxer (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 04:46:42 PM

Two former federal agents are expected to be arrested on Monday on charges of stealing money while working undercover on an investigation into Silk Road, the once-thriving black market website for drug dealing, a document shows.

Read more: http://www.coinspectator.com/dea-agents-in-silk-road-case-face-fraud-charges/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 05:08:41 PM

any chance this would give ulbricht a window to climb out?

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
mikewirth

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 05:23:23 PM

Yes.  Prosecutorial misconduct.  It can have VERY far reaching implications.  Now, the prosecution is easily shown to have reason to lie.  About this - and other things.  This is VERY good for Ross.  I am pretty sure his attorney will be asking for a retrial by the end of the week.
TheGr33k

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 06:03:13 PM

Yes.  Prosecutorial misconduct.  It can have VERY far reaching implications.  Now, the prosecution is easily shown to have reason to lie.  About this - and other things.  This is VERY good for Ross.  I am pretty sure his attorney will be asking for a retrial by the end of the week.
Do you know how they stole the money? I would think to make their theft worth the risk it would be several hundreds of coins, would that not raise any red flags?
DarknetMarkets

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 06:17:14 PM

Sadly there is about as much chance of Ross seeing freedom in his lifetime as there is Chelsea Manning. Zero percent.   Sad
mikewirth

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 06:20:04 PM

Sadly there is about as much chance of Ross seeing freedom in his lifetime as there is Chelsea Manning. Zero percent.   Sad
Sorry dude - you are wrong.  It fucks the whole case up once you know the prosecutors team is lying.  He might get a walk if this gets too ugly.

Here is the complaint against their own Federal Agents: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/opa/press-releases/attachments/2015/03/30/criminal_complaint_force.pdf

"Carl Mark Force IV" - pretty cool name.  Maybe even cooler than: "Dread Pirate Roberts"
MF Doom

Activity: 560

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 06:40:59 PM

I am amazed any federal agents are being held accountable for this, they really want to set an example of btc users, I think partially to scare people from using it
TheGr33k

Activity: 518

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 06:43:03 PM

Sadly there is about as much chance of Ross seeing freedom in his lifetime as there is Chelsea Manning. Zero percent.   Sad
Usually evidence tampering will get the defendant acquitted. If the agents are found guilty then Ross may have some chance of freedom.
duckydonald

Activity: 378

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 06:48:15 PM

the government should also payback all users funds as well/
deluxeCITY

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 06:51:39 PM

I am amazed any federal agents are being held accountable for this, they really want to set an example of btc users, I think partially to scare people from using it

Me too i am not sure it will stick though, does anyone know the amount supposedly stolen by them? I can get threw to the article until i get on another computer. They steal anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand and get screwed if true and their department steals 100's of thousands and charges ross for crimes, funny old world. That won't set an example of bitcoin users if anything people will want to know what bitcoin is making agents get sticky fingers. So many smoke and mirrors agents stealing from their own site that should read.
elvizzzzzzz

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 06:58:49 PM

"Sadly there is about as much chance of Ross seeing freedom in his lifetime as there is Chelsea Manning. Zero percent."

IIRC, there was no plea bargain, and a jury trial. Now, imagine you are a juror, and the defence
has just demonstrated that the prosecution witnesses are liars, thieves, and felons. Would you
convict on that testimony? In most countries there would be no question, he would walk.

"Bridges allegedly diverted to his personal account over $800,000 in digital currency that he gained control of during the Silk Road investigation.  The complaint alleges that Bridges placed the assets into an account at Mt. Gox, the now-defunct digital currency exchange in Japan.  He then allegedly wired funds into one of his personal investment accounts in the United States mere days before he sought a $2.1 million seizure warrant for Mt. Gox’s accounts."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-03-30/federal-agents-investigating-bitcoin-money-laundering-stole-over-1-million-bitcoin
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 07:00:22 PM

You are absolutely right. There is 0% chance of Ross Ulbricht ever released from the prison. He is one of the prime targets of the bankers. That said, imagine what the bankers will do to Satoshi, if they are able to identify him.  Grin
duckydonald

Activity: 378

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 07:02:16 PM

You are absolutely right. There is 0% chance of Ross Ulbricht ever released from the prison. He is one of the prime targets of the bankers. That said, imagine what the bankers will do to Satoshi, if they are able to identify him.  Grin

Im sure satoshi knew this, Im glad they cant find him
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 07:47:38 PM

"Sadly there is about as much chance of Ross seeing freedom in his lifetime as there is Chelsea Manning. Zero percent."

IIRC, there was no plea bargain, and a jury trial. Now, imagine you are a juror, and the defence
has just demonstrated that the prosecution witnesses are liars, thieves, and felons. Would you
convict on that testimony? In most countries there would be no question, he would walk.

"Bridges allegedly diverted to his personal account over $800,000 in digital currency that he gained control of during the Silk Road investigation.  The complaint alleges that Bridges placed the assets into an account at Mt. Gox, the now-defunct digital currency exchange in Japan.  He then allegedly wired funds into one of his personal investment accounts in the United States mere days before he sought a $2.1 million seizure warrant for Mt. Gox’s accounts."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-03-30/federal-agents-investigating-bitcoin-money-laundering-stole-over-1-million-bitcoin

This is a HUGE HUGE blunder by the prosecution.
If there is ANY precedence here, and I would bet that there is, Ross might very well get off.
Any legal experts?

It is hard to put into words how the prosecution must feel right now, but I'll try with a picture.

And Ross...

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 08:30:27 PM

Has this already been posted?
http://www.dailydot.com/crime/dpr-alpacino-french-maid-silk-road-2015/

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 1240

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2015, 08:36:08 PM

No telling how many Bitcoins they made selling cocaine to the SR folks Undecided

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 08:48:18 PM

The level of profit mongering from these two is quite impressive!
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1068

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 08:51:29 PM

I hope every case they have touched in their entire career falls apart.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 09:03:34 PM

CNN has the story too. http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/30/politics/federal-agents-charged-with-stealing-bitcoin/index.html

HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 09:24:57 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2017, 09:16:51 PM by HI-TEC99

It's nice to hear one of them is also being charged with running a scam exchange after all the scam exchanges we were ripped off in.

According to prosecutors, Force also used his position as an executive at a digital currency exchange called CoinMKT, in which he was an investor, to seize accounts of customers. He transferred $297,000 in illegally-seized digital currency to his personal accounts, prosecutors allege in the criminal complaint.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: