Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:45:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Project will be making a major announcement in September  (Read 53353 times)
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 10:59:05 PM

I have no idea what Gavin is talking about, but why would multi-sig or any other known Bitcoin client improvement proposals qualify as a 'major announcement'?  Huh

Soon...

sorry, could not resist

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ninjarobot

Activity: 761
Merit: 500

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 11:15:02 PM

Perhaps blockchain related improvements? (better pruning, compression, standard client does not have to download the entire chain, etc.)
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 11:22:47 PM

Perhaps blockchain related improvements? (better pruning, compression, standard client does not have to download the entire chain, etc.)

this would be very good news indeed!

i liked this part.
"I still call Bitcoin ‘experimental,' and still tell people to only invest time or money that they can afford to lose... but every month that goes by both the core system and the supporting infrastructure (exchanges, e-wallets,merchant solutions, storage solutions, etc.) become less experimental and more reliable.

sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 11:44:45 PM

It's probably multisig.  Gavin seems to view multisig as a security feature to protect against hacks.  Fewer hacks means less bad press and more consistent growth in adoption.

The single largest problem I see for any reasonable corporation to not adopt Bitcoin is the lack of corporate governance when it comes to private keys and the segregation of duties. There must be proper corporate governance and segregation of duties or the board of directors or management will be liable for breach of fiduciary duty. They will not allow Bitcoin to be accepted if it is going to result in a breach of fiduciary duty. Multi-sig could be implemented in such a way that this hindrance would be completely eliminated.

If Bitcoin can have proper corporate governance and segregation of duty abilities then corporations can adopt it. If corporations can adopt and use Bitcoin then larger capital flows will happen. If larger capital flows happen then there will be greater stability in the price.

jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 11:56:50 PM

It's probably multisig.  Gavin seems to view multisig as a security feature to protect against hacks.  Fewer hacks means less bad press and more consistent growth in adoption.

The single largest problem I see for any reasonable corporation to not adopt Bitcoin is the lack of corporate governance when it comes to private keys and the segregation of duties. There must be proper corporate governance and segregation of duties or the board of directors or management will be liable for breach of fiduciary duty. They will not allow Bitcoin to be accepted if it is going to result in a breach of fiduciary duty. Multi-sig could be implemented in such a way that this hindrance would be completely eliminated.

If Bitcoin can have proper corporate governance and segregation of duty abilities then corporations can adopt it. If corporations can adopt and use Bitcoin then larger capital flows will happen. If larger capital flows happen then there will be greater stability in the price.

In the meantime you can use Armory to separate private and public keys.  Armory allows watch-only wallets where transactions can be logged, but not signed until it is signed on the full-wallet.  This allows, for example, you to hire people to process bitcoin transactions without access to the full wallet.

Multisig is waaaaay better though.
mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 12:11:47 AM

my guesses:

- Satoshi revealed as purely fictional. This was a 20% project from google that management knew was too disruptive to let continue....but devs knew it was too disruptive to not release.
- experiment is now over....thanks everybody....btc are now convertible to Google Play credits...but no longer mine-able.

Once enough people realize their need of peer-to-peer software like bitcoin and diaspora, they will start demanding it. Ideas are breakproof, with Google or without.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 01:08:09 AM

I'm not gonna say what the announcement is....but I will say that you are all wrong and no one is even close lol (Well...some of you were kinda close)

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1461
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 01:18:35 AM

I'm not gonna say what the announcement is....but I will say that you are all wrong and no one is even close lol (Well...some of you were kinda close)

-Charlie

Dang it!  Now I have to read it all carefully again...after finally agreeing with the multisig camp...

At least it's fun though Smiley

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 01:19:12 AM

(Well...some of you were kinda close)
So someone other than Assange is going to be digitized and smuggled out of the UK?
drakahn

Activity: 504

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 01:20:41 AM

-Charlie
You mentioned something once before I think, about a surprise that will change what people think the government thinks of bitcoins... so I'll guess its some sort of basis for bitcoin being protected legally

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 01:24:24 AM

-Charlie
You mentioned something once before I think, about a surprise that will change what people think the government thinks of bitcoins... so I'll guess its some sort of basis for bitcoin being protected legally

Ok, I take it back. Your the closest. Nuff said, Im gonna get shot for saying this much.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 01:25:11 AM

-Charlie

So you are in on the big secret?  Is that itself a clue?  
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:14:38 AM

I know! I know! We're all going to Pattaya!!!!!
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 02:16:51 AM

-Charlie

Ok, I take it back. Your the closest. Nuff said, Im gonna get shot for saying this much.

You'd think a government would announce something like that. And any change in the law would require an act of congress or the supreme court...I doubt Uncle Sam is ever going to be happy about Bitcoin unless they can control it. Will we see a fork for UncleSamCoins? I doubt that too. Is Uncle Sam gonna allow banks to hold Bitcoin as currency for meeting reserve requirements? I doubt it.

But now I really am curious...

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 02:20:10 AM

The Bitcoin Project will be making a major announcement in September that should contribute some stability, he said.

Stability in price? That surely can't be the case whether it's at $10, $15, $20, etc., for down the road, after Bitcoin becomes mainstream, the exchange rate should be in the triple digits due mainly to the volume of people using Bitcoin as a utility.

To maintain a pricing stability, the Bitcoin Project would need to be stifled.

~Bruno~
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:20:35 AM

-Charlie

You'd think a government would announce something like that. And any change in the law would require an act of congress or the supreme court...I doubt Uncle Sam is ever going to be happy about Bitcoin unless they can control it. Will we see a fork for UncleSamCoins? I doubt that too. Is Uncle Sam gonna allow banks to hold Bitcoin as currency for meeting reserve requirements? I doubt it.

You know there are governments other than the US government, right?
drakahn

Activity: 504

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:21:08 AM

-Charlie

... I assume it'd just be "Bitcoins are seen as X" and from then on Bitcoins would have the existing laws of X

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 02:25:17 AM

-Charlie

You know there are governments other than the US government, right?
Uhhh....yes.

Coinoisseur

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:30:32 AM
Last edit: August 17, 2012, 03:24:25 AM by Coinoisseur

Well, I'm comforted that the news sounds positive. Should rule out direct regulation, I would hope.

Hmm, going to put out a guess here. Introduction of multisig to the client and we will see someone launch a licensed bitcoin financial institution with direct client integration. No idea which country it would be based in.

If so I hope client integration will be an open process.

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:46:32 AM

Greece or some other sovereign nation is adopting Bitcoin as legal tender. Bitcoin will trade on FOREX.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: