Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:30:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Project will be making a major announcement in September  (Read 53357 times)
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 09:32:12 AM

Yup, the announcement will probably be that they'll set up a legal organization that will act as an official contact and information center for everything Bitcoin related. Hence all these legal questions. It was already proposed a while ago actually.

"Bitcoin" has no phone number, that confuses the hell out of old world people.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 09:54:33 AM

What's the phone number of "e-mail"?
My parents manage to use it, though.

I'm not sure I'd like to see some "legal organization" claiming to represent Bitcoin... well, let's see.
JDBound

Activity: 150
Merit: 108

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 12:34:34 PM

My tip is public organisation funded to protect and support Bitcoin, its developers and users. (NOT like FinCEN, something like EFF.org. But, wait... BitCEN Tongue)

You mean they'll accept bitcoin for a while and then decide it's too risky because of vague conflict of interest issues and dump them?

Yup, the announcement will probably be that they'll set up a legal organization that will act as an official contact and information center for everything Bitcoin related. Hence all these legal questions. It was already proposed a while ago actually.

www.theclag.org
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 12:35:09 PM

Lol ... "the Interweb tubes bit-money people don't have a phone number, they need to get one so we can call them and complain" ....

Quite frankly, it shouldn't .... I don't know which part of "decentralised" people cannot understand. It is a democratic concept that goes back to the ancient Greeks.

Putting one guy on a phone to answer bitcoin questions from old world people will just give a whole lot of people a biased view as to what it is .... get on-line a read about, that is where it lives, how hard is that?

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 04:46:28 PM

Figured it out:
"Hey, I've got this fantastic idea!"

"Really!  Tell me all about it!"

"We're going to buy one of the islands of Greece and turn it into a libertarian country and use Bitcoin as the currency!"

"Uhh... did you talk to a lawyer about that? That might be illegal."

"Uhh... really? no."

"And where will you get the money to do it?"

"Uhhh... haven't figured that out yet."

"And if I want to participate, what should I do?"

"Uhh... I dunno, we don't really have a process for that yet..."

Idk, maybe my opinion will change after the announcement and it will be obvious why it had to be kept secret.

"Hey, I've got this fantastic idea!"

"Really!  Tell me all about it!"

"We're going to blah blah blah."

"Uhh... did you talk to a lawyer about that? That might be illegal."

"Uhh... really? no."

"And where will you get the money to do it?"

"Uhhh... haven't figured that out yet."

"And if I want to participate, what should I do?"

"Uhh... I dunno, we don't really have a process for that yet..."

I made the mistake of asking a reporter when her deadline was, because if it was far enough away I could tell her about the neat idea. I should have kept my mouth shut or sworn her to secrecy.

Announcing a half-baked idea is counterproductive; you'll just get a gazillion questions that you can't answer, or, even worse, people will assume they know the answers and then be disappointed when it turns out the idea they thought they heard you describe isn't the same idea they thought they heard.

Announcing a fully-baked idea and then modifying it based on what everybody thinks and how it works out in practice is the right way to do things, in my humble opinion.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
camem

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 08:22:27 PM
Last edit: September 06, 2012, 09:56:01 PM by camem

linking an account to an apple id would scale*

*i have no idea whether gavin et al, almost certainly including the CIA, have done a deal with apple to include a bitcoin friendly keypair in every embedded secure element in the iphone 5 out next week, using the well established apple id credentials to access the keypair to transfer funds or make purchases on the app store.**

** no really i haven't, but wouldn't it be a good idea if they had. would save apple a buck or two in fees too. can't say it would add stability to the bitcoin price in the short term tho.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 08:53:42 PM

*i have no idea whether gavin et al, almost certainly including the CIA, have done a deal with apple to include a bitcoin friendly keypair in every embedded secure element in the iphone 5 out next week, using the well established apple id as a credential to access the keypair to transfer funds or make purchases on the app store.**

** no really i haven't, but wouldn't it be a good idea if they had. would save apple a buck or two in fees too. can't say it would add stability to the bitcoin price in the short term tho.

There is absolutely nothing that could possibly add stability to the bitcoin price in the short term because stability won't happen until we get well past $100/BTC.  Anything less is too small a market to be stable in an era of fiat money printing.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
dissipate

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 08:55:00 PM

*i have no idea whether gavin et al, almost certainly including the CIA, have done a deal with apple to include a bitcoin friendly keypair in every embedded secure element in the iphone 5 out next week, using the well established apple id as a credential to access the keypair to transfer funds or make purchases on the app store.**

There is absolutely nothing that could possibly add stability to the bitcoin price in the short term because stability won't happen until we get well past $100/BTC.  Anything less is too small a market to be stable in an era of fiat money printing.

How did you come up with the $100 mark for stability?
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 09:02:53 PM

Emphasis added ^

There is no magical point at $100, but with roughly 10 million BTC out there, $100/BTC would mean $1 billion total (making some wildly inaccurate assumptions about being able to actually sell all the bitcoins for spot price).  That's starting to be significant enough to be a little more stable.  Definitely more stable than the measly $100 million we've been bouncing around near.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
dissipate

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 09:19:03 PM

Emphasis added ^

There is no magical point at $100, but with roughly 10 million BTC out there, $100/BTC would mean $1 billion total (making some wildly inaccurate assumptions about being able to actually sell all the bitcoins for spot price).  That's starting to be significant enough to be a little more stable.  Definitely more stable than the measly $100 million we've been bouncing around near.

I disagree. Even at $100/BTC, speculators would still be trying to figure out the 'true value' of BTC. Their idea of where that true value is could range from less than $100 to thousands of dollars per BTC. That is still a huge range for radical sentiment fluctuations. Plenty of room left for 'panic' buying and selling.
Morblias

Activity: 576
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 11:27:05 PM

Emphasis added ^

I disagree. Even at $100/BTC, speculators would still be trying to figure out the 'true value' of BTC. Their idea of where that true value is could range from less than $100 to thousands of dollars per BTC. That is still a huge range for radical sentiment fluctuations. Plenty of room left for 'panic' buying and selling.

When at higher numbers, such as $100/BTC, going up/down a dollar or 2 isn't a big deal. But when you are at $11 and it drops to $9, that's big. Having it at higher amounts/BTC will cause it to be less volatile. I think that's how it works anyways. I'm no economist, just my opinion.

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 11:55:14 PM
Last edit: September 07, 2012, 01:59:24 AM by benjamindees

Okay, I'm ready to make my official guess:

Bitcoin bonds

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
bullioner

Activity: 166
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 11:56:34 PM

Given that the exchange rate is free-floating (as it should be), changing the block reward from halving every 210,000 blocks to a constant 50 would probably not cause much difference at all.

This is lacking context a bit.  jgarzik: please could you clarify what you believe this wouldn't cause much difference to?  Because if you're talking about the expected value of each coin, then you're worryingly and obviously wrong.
mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 02:24:21 AM

would save apple a buck or two in fees too. can't say it would add stability to the bitcoin price in the short term tho.

Its unlikely that Apple will let anything into their environment that they can not have control over.
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 12:48:37 PM
Last edit: September 07, 2012, 02:36:21 PM by barbarousrelic

There is absolutely nothing that could possibly add stability to the bitcoin price in the short term because stability won't happen until we get well past $100/BTC.  Anything less is too small a market to be stable in an era of fiat money printing.

Emphasis added ^

There is no magical point at $100, but with roughly 10 million BTC out there, $100/BTC would mean $1 billion total (making some wildly inaccurate assumptions about being able to actually sell all the bitcoins for spot price).  That's starting to be significant enough to be a little more stable.  Definitely more stable than the measly $100 million we've been bouncing around near.

When at higher numbers, such as $100/BTC, going up/down a dollar or 2 isn't a big deal. But when you are at $11 and it drops to $9, that's big. Having it at higher amounts/BTC will cause it to be less volatile. I think that's how it works anyways. I'm no economist, just my opinion.

I know of no reason to suspect that Bitcoin at $100/BTC would have greater or smaller percentage swings than it does at $11/BTC. If the price currently swings on average 8% per day ($.88) it will probably continue to swing at 8% per day ($8) at the higher price.

What will reduce volatility is when a greater fraction of people use Bitcoin for buying and selling goods and services and a smaller fraction use Bitcoin for speculation.

edit: Look at the price of gold. Is it particularly more stable at ~$1650 than it was at $400?

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 12:50:21 PM

I know!

Mitt Romney is going to accept bitcoin for his campaign finance  Cheesy

camem

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 09:58:01 PM

would save apple a buck or two in fees too. can't say it would add stability to the bitcoin price in the short term tho.

Its unlikely that Apple will let anything into their environment that they can not have control over.

you mean like 3rd party market forces where they take a cut ?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 02:25:15 AM

My tip is public organisation funded to protect and support Bitcoin, its developers and users. (NOT like FinCEN, something like EFF.org. But, wait... BitCEN Tongue)

You mean they'll accept bitcoin for a while and then decide it's too risky because of vague conflict of interest issues and dump them?

www.theclag.org

For some reason I trust Matthew: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76216.0
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 02:31:42 AM

Okay, I'm ready to make my official guess:

Bitcoin bonds

That did come to mind when talk of bonds started escalating after the Bitfloor hack. Perfect timing, if I may say so myself.

~Bruno~
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 09:44:39 AM

My guess is that its something about Bitcoin Foundation.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: