Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:27:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why BTC hasn't and wont hit the mainstream:  (Read 7724 times)
duffmanhb (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 10:04:19 AM

The whole system is nerd freindly only.

Seriously, if we want to go mainstream, there has to be some sort of user friendly program that can manage everything in a way our grandmother can understand it. Until then, BTC will be used for money laundering and illegal transactions until then.

My paraphrased thoughts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 10:05:26 AM

The Internet was a nerd freindly only system one day too.

-
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 10:06:34 AM

1. Buy Bitcoins
2. Make friendly software and sites
3. Huh?
4. Profit?

Maybe people are doing this. If you look around and think so, try this:

1. Buy Bitcoins
2. Huh?
3. Profit?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 10:06:58 AM

Hmm, maybe making it norm friendly is a mistake.

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 10:27:16 AM

If it involves idiots crying about early adopters and deflation, indeed...

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 10:41:59 AM

+ 21 000 000

da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 10:53:52 AM

Bitcoin doesn't need to be user friendly in the short term: remember how many people used torrents before Azureus was stable.

Sometimes it is good to have a geeky edge.  What is important is making sure our systems are much more secure than our competition.

One off NP-Hard.
wumpus

Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 12:04:49 PM

Compared to investor tools such as Interactive Brokers it's pretty user friendly. At least the client doesn't have blinking red and green stuff everywhere. It really has only a few buttons, "send coins" "address book". How much less complicated can it be?

Also, the really tech savy should probably be using a webbased BTC wallet instead of the program.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 12:13:06 PM

Compared to investor tools such as Interactive Brokers it's pretty user friendly. At least the client doesn't have blinking red and green stuff everywhere. It really has only a few buttons, "send coins" "address book". How much less complicated can it be?

Also, the really tech savy should probably be using a webbased BTC wallet instead of the program.

Yeah, it isn't that bad. I'd like more features actually. Like choosing coins and importing/exporting keys.

Why would the more tech savvy use a web wallet?

wumpus

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 12:25:49 PM

Sorry, I meant the opposite (less tech savvy). I'm not native English so I get confused with the terms sometimes Smiley

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 12:26:27 PM

Sorry, I meant the opposite (less tech savvy). I'm not native English so I get confused with the terms sometimes Smiley

Ah yes, this is probably true until there is reliable protection from viruses etc.

stic.man

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 12:29:04 PM

I'm technologically bereft but even I can figure out the basics of how to acquire and use this stuff. 

Once there are android/iphone apps it shouldn't be too difficult to mainstream it. Remember this is still in its infancy.

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 12:33:02 PM

The only deterrent technological aspect to Bitcoin is the mining/proof of work concept that secures the block chain. Thankfully, you don't have to know a single thing about it to use Bitcoin to your heart's content.

stic.man

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 12:38:24 PM

The only deterrent technological aspect to Bitcoin is the mining/proof of work concept that secures the block chain. Thankfully, you don't have to know a single thing about it to use Bitcoin to your heart's content.

I don't and I do.

I mean does everyone know what every part in their car is doing at any moment?  You still drive right?
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 01:03:01 PM

I mean does everyone know what every part in their car is doing at any moment?  You still drive right?

Unless you're bitching at the manufacturer cuz the car won't move when you press both pedals at the same time, in which case I call PEBCAC

Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 01:16:14 PM

The only thing that needs to be made perhaps more "average user" friendly is the way bitcoins is stored and spend.

The mining aspect will allways be for a select few, we do however need a huge influx of users who intend to make bitcoins their primary currency(lets hope) oneday to pay for products(online at first) and not specificly to play the market(mining,mtgox etc) and profiting from bitcoins.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 01:25:24 PM

WTF the main Bitcoin client (the GUI) is SUPER easy and simple.  It's only the "how it works" part that's nerdy.  You can use it without knowing anything.

wumpus

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 02:10:32 PM

The only thing that needs to be made perhaps more "average user" friendly is the way bitcoins is stored and spend.
Which is probably solved by using a site instead of a wallet on their PCs. After all, storing in the cloud makes much more sense for average users.
The mining aspect will allways be for a select few, we do however need a huge influx of users who intend to make bitcoins their primary currency(lets hope) oneday to pay for products(online at first) and not specificly to play the market(mining,mtgox etc) and profiting from bitcoins.
Yes, mining is specifically off-limits to new users. They shouldn't even be thinking about it. There's a good reason why it was removed from the original client  Cheesy

And indeed, why would they have to understand how the currency works under the hood? Rarely anyone understands how it works with money printing/federal banks in their own country.

kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 02:17:53 PM

Why-o-why do i have the feeling that OP is just another troll...
The amount of trolls/anti-bitcoin-fanatics seems to be growing equally exponential aswell...
Just google for bitcoin scam and bitcoin ponzi and things like that, you get a LOT of websites telling how stupid and bad, complicated and illegal bitcoin is...
Not sure what we can do to clear things up for those people...

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 06:22:18 PM

Why-o-why do i have the feeling that OP is just another troll...
The amount of trolls/anti-bitcoin-fanatics seems to be growing equally exponential aswell...
Just google for bitcoin scam and bitcoin ponzi and things like that, you get a LOT of websites telling how stupid and bad, complicated and illegal bitcoin is...
Not sure what we can do to clear things up for those people...

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: