Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 11:45:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "THE LIST"  (Read 27336 times)
macsga (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 10:58:32 PM

Newbie jail won't help, they just make 50 accounts at a time and rotate them out, making new ones as the old ones are banned, and aging them as they use the already created ones. It would only be effective for the first few days. It affects legitimate users more than them.

What would really help is if people would stop responding to the trolling and giving them the attention they want, that's pretty much the sole reason they keep coming back.

Some of them are really funny. Do you ever question their motivation?

@Badbear: Unfortunately; you're right... Sad

Funny trolling is fine by me. I did it in the past by posting trains, CCMF, funny pics etc. The sad thing is that these guys tend to head it to a level that is mentally unacceptable! I mean direct accusations of drug usage, or homosexual & pedo comments on a public forum is simply out of the question for me. He (they) has about 50+ accounts so far promoting just that! This thing is getting really out of hand even for a dedicated and full-time working admin...  Undecided

Motivation? I can't say for sure. Is he after cheap coins? I've pointed out an older strategy that has been followed by elder members in the previous declining prices period on Wall Observer. Is he backed up by a whale? Is he a whale himself? Who knows? One thing's for sure. He has plenty of time in his hands and probably he has to receive for what he's doing. Or he's a mental. Or both... Undecided

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
macsga (OP)
Legendary

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 09:47:34 AM

^NLC is most of your 'list' whether you know it or nawt.

Oh; can you imagine...! I didn't know... thank you for this, it never crossed my mind. Tongue

erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 10:22:44 AM

I have no users in my ignore list but I choose to what post is worth reading and what post is not. I have seen newbies creating threads and themselves replying to that thread. The Wall Observer thread is the best example for the number of spam posts made that the OP has lost track of which posts to delete and which should be retained. I just get irritated with abusive and nonsense comments and report it and the worst thing is that, the comments aren't deleted.  Undecided

Regarding the 99% signature spammers: Count me as one of the 99% then as I prefer being part of the majority than the HIGHLY INTELLIGENT MINORITY MEMBERS. I am not related to NEWTON. I am a Software Engineer myself and even I code but yes, for money as my company pays me for the same.

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 11:11:58 AM

I am a Software Engineer myself and even I code but yes, for money as my company pays me for the same.

And yet you seriously need to "sell your sig space" for some tiny fractions of BTC?

Anyway - the whole point is not the "ad sigs" themselves but the "stupid pointless posts" that are being made in order to "earn that tiny amount of BTC". If you are not making stupid pointless posts then you should have nothing to be concerned about (and no-one is forcing you to ignore anyone).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 11:17:23 AM

I am a Software Engineer myself and even I code but yes, for money as my company pays me for the same.

And yet you seriously need to "sell your sig space" for some tiny fractions of BTC?

Anyway - the whole point is not the "ad sigs" themselves but the "stupid pointless posts" that are being made in order to "earn that tiny amount of BTC".

I can agree with your point of view but remember that not all the users here are programmer or computer scientist. So it is normal that the "posts" are low of knowledge .... this is a forum when the people share their ideas and learn from the talent users. I can also agree with you for the quantity of posts but also the forum gain from this "spammy posts" through the visits and waves of the new users every day.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 11:54:22 AM

.... this is a forum when the people share their ideas and learn from the talent users.

Except once the "talent" gets so sick of reading all the useless posts that they leave in which case the likely result will be just newbies posting to newbies with each side only doing so to get paid for their ad sigs (with a total of zero knowledge being disseminated as neither those newbies asking questions or answering them actually care about the content of the posts but just that they get paid for posting).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

erikalui
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 12:29:36 PM

Anyway - the whole point is not the "ad sigs" themselves but the "stupid pointless posts" that are being made in order to "earn that tiny amount of BTC". If you are not making stupid pointless posts then you should have nothing to be concerned about (and no-one is forcing you to ignore anyone).

I do it as a pass time and I am not obliged to answer anyone what I do and what I don't as being a part of a sig campaign isn't a crime. I don't earn my living being a part of a signature campaign as I have a full time job.

Being a part of bitcoins is in itself not a good thing as it isn't a recognized currency and considered ILLEGAL. I would rather argue about how to make bitcoins worth talking about and LEGAL rather than Sig campaign spammers. But unfortunately, I don't find anyone interested in making bitcoins a LEGAL currency or working on it as some people are happy about using it for gambling, money laundering, selling illegal goods and hence they don't want bitcoins to be regulated.

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1353

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 03:56:36 PM

I do it as a pass time and I am not obliged to answer anyone what I do and what I don't as being a part of a sig campaign isn't a crime. I don't earn my living being a part of a signature campaign as I have a full time job.

Being a part of bitcoins is in itself not a good thing as it isn't a recognized currency and considered ILLEGAL. I would rather argue about how to make bitcoins worth talking about and LEGAL rather than Sig campaign spammers. But unfortunately, I don't find anyone interested in making bitcoins a LEGAL currency or working on it as some people are happy about using it for gambling, money laundering, selling illegal goods and hence they don't want bitcoins to be regulated.

Errm, you do realize that there are only few countries who consider bitcoins as "illegal" right? And if you say that being a part of bitcoin is not good, then why the hell did you even involve yourself and joined this forum in the first place? Also, what do you mean when you say "legal"? Under some regulations and authority?
macsga (OP)
Legendary

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 04:05:18 PM

Software Engineer here as well (among other things...). That "tiny fraction of BTC" is (in my case) 0.14 per month for 60 posts. I rarely count, cause I'm posting far more than 100 per month, but let me point out that I do have 3 miners at the moment that earn LESS than what the sig campaign is giving. So it's pretty significant in my case. Plus, that "tiny fraction" is used (in my case) strictly for donations & support to btc projects. The canon you're claiming is not without its exceptions.

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 04:17:44 PM

The canon you're claiming is not without its exceptions.

I have never claimed that *all posts made by ad sig users are crap* but simply that *most are*.

Although it can always be said to be subjective (in terms of what is "crap") I think that the majority of accounts being banned in the last six months are from ad sig posters which would support my claim (any mods who have the actual stats about which accounts have been banned in the last 6 months please correct me if I am wrong by posting the actual figures).

macsga (OP)
Legendary

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 04:39:55 PM

I have never claimed that *all posts made by ad sig users are crap* but simply that *most are*.

Although it can always be said to be subjective (in terms of what is "crap") I think that the majority of accounts being banned in the last six months are from ad sig posters which would support my claim (any mods who have the actual stats about which accounts have been banned in the last 6 months please correct me if I am wrong by posting the actual figures).

Fair point. I agree.

That would be an interesting datasheet to review. Nevertheless, I suspect you're right. Just for the story though, most "serious" ad campaigns check every participant about the "constructive" posts they make and in many cases they reject the members if they fall into the "crap" post category. Again, it's pretty subjective to be honest.

dothebeats
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 04:54:58 PM

Fair point. I agree.

That would be an interesting datasheet to review. Nevertheless, I suspect you're right. Just for the story though, most "serious" ad campaigns check every participant about the "constructive" posts they make and in many cases they reject the members if they fall into the "crap" post category. Again, it's pretty subjective to be honest.

Indeed. The quality of posts in this forum drastically dropped due to the "spamfest" done by the users who are enrolled in a signature campaign. I'll admit that I once spammed my way to those btc, but seeing that other users are affected by what I was doing, I just reply and follow a thread in which I think I can participate to. Also, there is no problem in the number of posts a user makes; it's the content that really matters after all. Was it helpful in the discussion? Did the comment shed light in some darkened points? Was it knowledgeable enough for other users? Subjective, and it should be like that.
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 04:58:56 PM

Personally, I don't like generalizations.
I use sig campaigns because it is a great way to earn some extra bitcoin. I post responsibly and do not spam to get my post count up. In fact, I even remember helping you, CIYAM, when you had a question about blockchain.info API not long ago. Was my post less valuable because I had an ad in my sig? Sorry, I don't want it to seem like I'm attacking you, but I think moderation is the best approach, if people are caught spamming or abusing the sig campaign they should be banned.

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 05:02:35 PM

Sorry, I don't want it to seem like I'm attacking you, but I think moderation is the best approach, if people are caught spamming or abusing the sig campaign they should be banned.

I don't take that personally and your help was appreciated (I believe I did thank you for that) so I haven't just "ignored all ad sig posters" (as sometimes I feel l'd like to).

If it was policed better then for sure the overall quality of posts would be better but this seems to be basically "too hard" as there are simply not enough mods and too much crap posts.

redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 05:03:14 PM

.... this is a forum when the people share their ideas and learn from the talent users.

Except once the "talent" gets so sick of reading all the useless posts that they leave in which case the likely result will be just newbies posting to newbies with each side only doing so to get paid for their ad sigs (with a total of zero knowledge being disseminated as neither those newbies asking questions or answering them actually care about the content of the posts but just that they get paid for posting).

So what is your solution for all who are wearing a signature ad?  Are you using the grue scrypt (through a browser extension)? Again it's a forum for all the type of people, not only for who has some knowledge (or maybe 'high knowledge in bitcoin').
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 05:08:28 PM

So what is your solution for all who are wearing a signature ad?  Are you using the grue scrypt (through a browser extension)? Again it's a forum for all the type of people, not only for who has some knowledge (or maybe 'high knowledge in bitcoin').

The script won't stop the topics being bumped or hide the crap content (just hides the sigs) - how many times do I have to repeat it is the "crap content" not the "actual ad sig" that is the problem.

I'd happily see my own sig go and ban sigs altogether from the forum.

dothebeats
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 05:09:43 PM

I agree on the "freedom of speech" that you're reiterating in here, but sometimes crap posts overshadow posts that are meaningful and relevant. Sure we can pass a day with spams, crap posts and whatnot, but sometimes it is too much for the forum and for the users too. It's hard to participate in a discussion wherein a user will randomly comment without simply reading the whole thread. It isn't going to bear any fruitful discussions, but I sure know that spamming will bear fruitful of bans and ignores.
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 05:11:57 PM

The script won't stop the topics being bumped or hide the crap content (just hides the sigs) - how many times do I have to repeat it is the "crap content" not the "actual ad sig" that is the problem.

Ok, so the sig ad generate crap posts. Is this your thought? Then the real problem are the various signature ad campaign and the crap posts are generated by users that don't know what write in their  'posts'. This, I think is the problem... but I don't know how to resolve it at all.
dothebeats
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 05:28:16 PM

Ok, so the sig ad generate crap posts. Is this your thought? Then the real problem are the various signature ad campaign and the crap posts are generated by users that don't know what write in their  'posts'. This, I think is the problem... but I don't know how to resolve it at all.

The signature campaigns aren't the problem; the users enrolled in such campaigns are. I mean, come on, you don't want to spend your time reading crap posts and other spammy content. You came here to view relevant discussions that may be of help to bitcoin and to the community as well. I think the best solution--if people still want the signature campaigns to be present--is to limit the number of users entering these campaigns and set up some standards before accepting users and considering them "eligible" in joining one. Doing so may decrease users who most of the time posts crap and other spammy content just to boost their post count.
erikalui
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 05:58:01 PM

Errm, you do realize that there are only few countries who consider bitcoins as "illegal" right? And if you say that being a part of bitcoin is not good, then why the hell did you even involve yourself and joined this forum in the first place? Also, what do you mean when you say "legal"? Under some regulations and authority?

What's the need to be so rude? I dint reply to you so if you don't agree, just IGNORE my comment. I know that Bitcoin is not legal in my country and sooner the time will come when I will stop using it. I am surprised that sometime back I had sent you a PM explaining you about DDos attack when you had asked me about the same and this is the reply I get that "why the hell have I joined this forum." Thanks and I feel honored now.

Anyways, this post was about ignoring newbies and I need to stick to that only. I hope that newbie jail is implemented soon as they not only spam the forum but also misuse the trust rating.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: