Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 04:47:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PAPERBACK - Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies  (Read 27190 times)
monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 08:48:53 AM

New Coin Naming Convention

I have put together the below standardized format for identifying coins and rounds in the book. IU hope that it becomes standard among physical crypto-currency.

PF - Pre-Funded (coin funded directly by the manufacturer): Casascius, Microsoul, Titan, TGBEX, Crypto Imperator, Alitin, Nasty Fans seat coins

BF - Buyer-Funded (buyer funds coin directly, before it is shipped): Some Lealana coins

UF - Un-Funded
(shipped with private key secured, but without loaded value): Ravenbit, an option for many coins

DIY - Do It Yourself (Hologram Sticker or other affixed by customer): Silver Wallets, SerpCoin DIY,

2FA - 2 FActor (loaded value is not redeemable with the Private Key alone): Some Casascius bars, bhCoins 2-factor coin

Round - (no intention/capability to be used to store crypto-currency; cont considered a 'coin'): Anarcoins, Bitcoinnerd, MJB Monetary Metals,

Arent there 3 kinds on Lealana that woulnt be entirely distinguishable from the PF and BF ?

ie
original smoothie funded, definate Pre Funded PF

later self funded prior to smoothie shipping, not lasered as buyer funded, but not funded by smoothie .... are you classing these  as Buyer funded BF ? They fit your description, but its confusing, as they arent lasered that way (and others are)

later non funded, but lasered with buyer funded .... from your descriptions .... even though they say buyer funded on the coin, they are unfunded UF ?

Could we have a change in terms to avoid the possible confusion ?

Maker Pre funded
Buyer Pre funded
Buyer (Post) funded
Unfunded

Or similar ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bithalo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1017

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 02:08:01 PM

I think in the case with smoothie, you're right...you have:

smoothie pre-funded = Pre-Funded
buyer enforced pre-funded but not lasered = Buyer-Funded
unfunded but lasered Buyer Funded = Unfunded

I agree...it does get confusing because I think we're using the category 'Buyer-Funded' when smoothie uses it to denote something else.

My concern is not trying to have too many unnecessary categories.  IMO, there's already a lot as it is.  I personally don't think we want a Unfunded and Buyer Post Funded, because any Unfunded coin can turn into a Buyer Post Funded.  

Co-author to the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  More details can be found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2767515.0
bithalo
Legendary

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 02:55:15 PM

I think in the case with smoothie, you're right...you have:

smoothie pre-funded = Pre-Funded
buyer enforced pre-funded but not lasered = Buyer-Funded
unfunded but lasered Buyer Funded = Unfunded

I agree...it does get confusing because I think we're using the category 'Buyer-Funded' when smoothie uses it to denote something else.

My concern is not trying to have too many unnecessary categories.  IMO, there's already a lot as it is.  I personally don't think we want a Unfunded and Buyer Post Funded, because any Unfunded coin can turn into a Buyer Post Funded. 

Are the Lealana's the only coins to use this system/naming??

Yes, at least from my point of view, before I hand the complete list over to elianite to review & edit, Lealana's are currently the only coins to use BF.  They should also will have PF and UF as mentioned above.   

Co-author to the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  More details can be found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2767515.0
mrbrt

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 04:21:57 PM

Sneak Peek!

Looks great!! Cheesy

Will there be page numbers??

Also, all except the Satoshi coin from Ravenbit are called "Node xxx"   https://ravenbit.com/coins/   This link also has release dates, not just the year!!!

Thanks Smiley

Page numbers will be inserted before the final copy goes to print. Right now it's just 180 individual pages grouped together by mint, with Matthew having an additional ~20 pages of text that will compose the more academic portion. I have another 30-40 pages to put together, and revamp the Casascius section.
End result will likely be ~250 pages.

One difficulty is the naming. I have taken to naming the coins in a rather generic way, such as '1BTC Brass Coin, 2015', tied to the manufacturer. If multiple coins that would have the same name are made by the same manufacturer in the same year, I've used 'v1, v2' to differentiate. I have also used 'names' of the coins (nicknames or given by manufacturers) in quotation marks after the more 'formal' categorization name.
Perhaps this one will look like this:

Ravenbit
Antique Bronze Coin, 2014 'Node 2.4'

Elianite - Good job - book looks nice.

The coin in question is the "Node Bronze", Series 2.3

The date on the coin is 2014, but it was not released until 2015.

mrbrt

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 04:30:35 PM

I have put together the below standardized format for identifying coins and rounds in the book. IU hope that it becomes standard among physical crypto-currency.

PF - Pre-Funded (coin funded directly by the manufacturer): Casascius, Microsoul, Titan, TGBEX, Crypto Imperator, Alitin, Nasty Fans seat coins

BF - Buyer-Funded (buyer funds coin directly, before it is shipped): Some Lealana coins

UF - Un-Funded
(shipped with private key secured, but without loaded value): Ravenbit, an option for many coins

DIY - Do It Yourself (Hologram Sticker or other affixed by customer): Silver Wallets, SerpCoin DIY,

2FA - 2 FActor (loaded value is not redeemable with the Private Key alone): Some Casascius bars, bhCoins 2-factor coin

Round - (no intention/capability to be used to store crypto-currency; cont considered a 'coin'): Anarcoins, Bitcoinnerd, MJB Monetary Metals,

Ravenbit was one of the first to offer a full DIY kit (I checked some old posts and I think Serpcoin beat me out by 1 week - There may have been a couple of small one-off DIY coins before that) See my Satoshi coin released in 2013, as well as my Node Brass, Node Copper and Node Silver released in 2014.
elianite (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1377
Merit: 1134

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 01:35:53 AM
Last edit: December 11, 2015, 01:47:01 AM by elianite

Sneak Peek!

Looks great!! Cheesy

Will there be page numbers??

Also, all except the Satoshi coin from Ravenbit are called "Node xxx"   https://ravenbit.com/coins/   This link also has release dates, not just the year!!!

Thanks Smiley

Page numbers will be inserted before the final copy goes to print. Right now it's just 180 individual pages grouped together by mint, with Matthew having an additional ~20 pages of text that will compose the more academic portion. I have another 30-40 pages to put together, and revamp the Casascius section.
End result will likely be ~250 pages.

One difficulty is the naming. I have taken to naming the coins in a rather generic way, such as '1BTC Brass Coin, 2015', tied to the manufacturer. If multiple coins that would have the same name are made by the same manufacturer in the same year, I've used 'v1, v2' to differentiate. I have also used 'names' of the coins (nicknames or given by manufacturers) in quotation marks after the more 'formal' categorization name.
Perhaps this one will look like this:

Ravenbit
Antique Bronze Coin, 2014 'Node 2.4'

Elianite - Good job - book looks nice.

The coin in question is the "Node Bronze", Series 2.3

The date on the coin is 2014, but it was not released until 2015.

To be quite honest the naming and years are among the most difficult, especially determining between the year on the coin and the 'release' date. Ideally the 'year' of a coin should always be listed as the release date, regardless of what the coin itself says. It is quite likely that there will be some errors in that area.

Naming is the second question I haven't quite finalized. I will be working with Bithalo to formulate 'official' names (a sort of naming convention according to which all coins can be accurately named) for all coins according to a standardized format. This will likely put 'manufacturer-assigned names' or 'nicknames' is quotes at the end of the assigned name that is meant for categorization purposes.

take the below example:

Ravenbit
Antique Bronze Coin, 2014 (UF) 'Node 2.4'

Cryptolator
1 BTC Silver Coin, 2014 (PF, UF, DIY)

Crypto Imperator
10,000 DOGE Coin, 2014 (PF, DIY)

-Should 'metal' be specified in the name? Should it be specified always, sometimes, or never? what if metal is unckown? I need to decide this.
- Putting 'Node Bronze, Series 2.1' at the end is too much
- Using the word 'bronze' is repetitive, as the metal is already specified n the name
- Frankly, I find the use of the 'series' concept to be extremely confusing, as not all manufacturers designate series. sometimes multiple 'series' are released at the same time. Is it designated based on hologram or production order or design? What about 'grey areas'? That said I do use the concept of 'series' in some descriptions in a more casual way, but want to avoid using them in formal categorization..

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
mrbrt

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 03:32:54 AM

Naming is the second question I haven't quite finalized. I will be working with Bithalo to formulate 'official' names (a sort of naming convention according to which all coins can be accurately named) for all coins according to a standardized format. This will likely put 'manufacturer-assigned names' or 'nicknames' is quotes at the end of the assigned name that is meant for categorization purposes.

Coming up with your own names for coins will likely only further confuse the issue. I understand the urge to "standardize" and "categorize", but it may be difficult given every manufacturer has their own way of doing things.

Ravenbit
Antique Bronze Coin, 2014 (UF) 'Node 2.4'
-Should 'metal' be specified in the name? Should it be specified always, sometimes, or never? what if metal is unckown? I need to decide this.

There is a simple solution: list the composition of the coin separately (not in the name). Listing Antique Bronze as the metal is actually incorrect; it is a brass (85% copper; 15% zinc) coin with an "antique bronze" finish. Bronze is typically copper and tin.

The series is 2.3; the website has not been updated, but the bitcointalk reference page in my signature is pretty much up to date.

- Frankly, I find the use of the 'series' concept to be extremely confusing, as not all manufacturers designate series. sometimes multiple 'series' are released at the same time. Is it designated based on hologram or production order or design? What about 'grey areas'? That said I do use the concept of 'series' in some descriptions in a more casual way, but want to avoid using them in formal categorization..

Ok then don't use it in your book; it's your book after all (I mean you can refer to a coin as Shittyhead fuckface Version 1 if you want! It's your book!) However, the fact of the matter is my reference page and website will be the official reference for all of my coins. I've put together a large amount of info on the thread and website and will be expanding/cleaning it up after the release of my newest design.

I'm not sure I have explained this before, but I use series as an alternate name for the coin. For example the "Node Bronze AT" Series 2.3.1 is broken down as follows:

2 represents the design (the first design "satoshi" is "1" and my next design will be "3")
3 represents the metal/finish
1 represents any special variations (in this case the artifical toning; or in the case of the Node L.E. the special serialized numbers)

The numbers are sequential based on release date.
bithalo
Legendary

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 03:55:20 AM
Last edit: December 11, 2015, 04:30:36 AM by bithalo

In my research, I tried to refer to the maker's announcement or selling threads / website and used whatever they called it.  I also looked for their own explanation of metals, sizes, weights, mintages, etc.  

My preference is to use the naming convention of what each coin is officially called by their maker.

So for example, I may suggest something like the mint name, name of coin, denomination, material if it differentiates vs other coins offered:

Ravenbit Series 2.3 Node Bronze  - I earlier had the word 'Antique'...my mistake
Cryptolator Unchained 1BTC Silver
Crypto Imperator 10,000 Doge

then after, add other properties (type of physical, year, funding type) as needed, if desired.

I'll probably need to do another once-over to ensure I've got the naming correct.

monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 09:00:03 PM

you can refer to a coin as Shittyhead fuckface Version 1 if you want! It's your book

Careful, it could stick ...  Cheesy
elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 11:44:26 PM

you can refer to a coin as Shittyhead fuckface Version 1 if you want! It's your book

Careful, it could stick ...  Cheesy

It's a little tempting, but I wouldn't want to compromise the professionalism of the work Smiley.

I have made great progress with Bithalo, and I am sure that the final names will not cause too much disappointment to anyone

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
BitcoinPenny
aka CJBianco
Legendary

Activity: 2662
Merit: 2203

BitcoinPenny.com

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 11:58:23 PM

UF - Un-Funded

Don't forget to add JPF - Just Plain Fun (No cash value, but the coolness value is pretty darn high.): Bitcoin Penny™ commemorative coins. Wink

Regards,
Christopher

BitcoinPenny.com | "When it comes to bitcoin swag, we make perfect CENTS!"
bithalo
Legendary

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 12:27:29 AM

UF - Un-Funded

Don't forget to add JPF - Just Plain Fun (No cash value, but the coolness value is pretty darn high.): Bitcoin Penny™ commemorative coins. Wink

Regards,
Christopher

We are categorizing those as "Rounds".  Nice coin BTW. 

bithalo
Legendary

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 12:32:48 AM

I went through all the websites and maker' s Bitcointalk forum coin announcements again to use the naming that each maker used.   I also reviewed all the specs for the coins again and took the rest of the photos today.  Sending this over to elianite so we can review it all.  

elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2016, 02:43:50 PM

January 2nd update:

About a week behind schedule (I went on vacation  Cool ), but progressing well.

Current status:
- Only one more major producer to add. Need to add text to about 6-8 pages of more obscure producers. maybe 15 total pages need some significant work
- Casascius Section ALMOST DONE
- Final edits being made on Matthew's academic section today
- Cover still needs to be done, and the other things below that in the above list^.

Latest page estimates:
Academic section: ~16 pages
Encyclopedia section (coins and mint bios): ~200-205
Other sections include Glossary, Special Thanks, Counterfeits & Imitations, Citations / References, Author Bios, and more
It's fair to say we will come out in the ~240 page range

There are some rather obscure coins that have almost no data available for them. In these few cases, I might leave them out as to avoid writing something of very low quality, along with low quality photos. Thoughts?

I have opened up additional numbers for reservations.

TEASER: There will be some new, never-before-seen images of the Casascius 1,000 BTC gold coin!

Pistachio
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 03:26:26 PM

Are you still offering a 10% discount if you order two or more? If so, add one more to my order and PM me the remaining BTC balance to be paid. Thanks.
elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2016, 04:33:57 PM

Are you still offering a 10% discount if you order two or more? If so, add one more to my order and PM me the remaining BTC balance to be paid. Thanks.

Yes, 10% discount applies, and it applies to the whole order. That means that anyone who has already purchased a copy, can effectively get a 2nd copy for 20% off!

Sent you a PM.

elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2016, 08:52:27 PM

Update:

The guide was originally designed in 100 PPI (pixels per inch) and an 6x8 aspect ratio. The standard for high quality printing is 300 PPI and the aspect ratio should be 6x9. I have hired a freelance graphic designer to re-format the entire guide to fit these specifications.

An issue here is that some photos which were previously 'good' may actually not be of a high enough quality. I will be addressing these issues as soon as re reformatted version is ready for me in about 5 days. I may specifically be needing some photos of Casascius and Lealana coins.

That said, everything is well on track for February delivery!

bithalo
Legendary

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 09:28:42 PM

I can take more Lealana if needed, and I have all the major varieties.  All my Casascius are in slabs, so those wouldn't be good subjects to photograph.

OgNasty
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 4718
Merit: 4234

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2016, 09:39:09 PM

Update:

The guide was originally designed in 100 PPI (pixels per inch) and an 6x8 aspect ratio. The standard for high quality printing is 300 PPI and the aspect ratio should be 6x9. I have hired a freelance graphic designer to re-format the entire guide to fit these specifications.

An issue here is that some photos which were previously 'good' may actually not be of a high enough quality. I will be addressing these issues as soon as re reformatted version is ready for me in about 5 days. I may specifically be needing some photos of Casascius and Lealana coins.

That said, everything is well on track for February delivery!

Once my 2oz coins arrive next week I will see if I can capture hi-res photos of all the different NastyFans Minted Seats for you.  Hoping to get a look at the final draft as well.   Smiley

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 07:58:38 PM

I have hired a freelance graphic designer to re-format the entire guide to fit these specifications.

This task will be completed for Tuesday, as per latest update I recived. Final version can begin to be put together at that time and the final page count will be known soon after.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: