Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 08:25:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PAPERBACK - Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies  (Read 27190 times)
elianite (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1137

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2016, 06:24:52 PM

I have hired a freelance graphic designer to re-format the entire guide to fit these specifications.

This task will be completed for Tuesday, as per latest update I recived. Final version can begin to be put together at that time and the final page count will be known soon after.

It took a little longer then anticipated. Now the correct format is set, and it looks MUCH better and sharper.

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
cyclops
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 09:24:32 PM

I have hired a freelance graphic designer to re-format the entire guide to fit these specifications.

This task will be completed for Tuesday, as per latest update I recived. Final version can begin to be put together at that time and the final page count will be known soon after.

It took a little longer then anticipated. Now the correct format is set, and it looks MUCH better and sharper.

Any new Sneak peek?
elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2016, 10:00:45 PM

Any new Sneak peek?

Sure thing. This page is an example where two coins are depicted on a page.
The changes have made the design very clean and simple. i havve not yet decided what colors should be on the pages, so it is just white with grey tables for now. I did note that the bottom right photo is a little off-format; that will all be fixed. As for naming, I am using mainly the names provided by the manufacturer. Please also ignore the small '27ozt' and 'copper'; looks like they were mixed up in the formatting. That will all be fixed as the pages are checked against my database.

Feedback is welcome!

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 10:59:55 PM

Expect to see a cover design teaser in the next day or two!

Pistachio
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 04:31:46 PM

Have you thought about producing a companion collector's guide with pricing info for this comprehensive list of coins? Even if you just listed the original price they sold for, it would be a useful reference.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2016, 07:33:22 PM

I'll take number 44.  Smiley

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2016, 08:33:15 PM

Expect to see a cover design teaser in the next day or two!

elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2016, 08:34:42 PM

Have you thought about producing a companion collector's guide with pricing info for this comprehensive list of coins? Even if you just listed the original price they sold for, it would be a useful reference.

Some of the original prices are mentioned i the book, but not comprehensively. Perhaps this might be something for a later edition or as online content. At this point im polishing up the book and adding some missing parts.

monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 08:36:59 PM

Does it state anywhere on the cover, or inside page that this is the first edition ..... ?
elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 02:49:32 AM

Does it state anywhere on the cover, or inside page that this is the first edition ..... ?

Good question. I did some reading on the subject:

"According to the definition of edition above, a book printed today, by the same publisher, and from the same type as when it was first published, is still the first edition of that book to a bibliographer. However, book collectors generally use the term first edition to mean specifically the first print run of the first edition (aka "first edition, first impression"). Since World War II, books often include a number line (printer's key) that indicates the print run."

"Many book collectors place maximum value on the earliest bound copies of a book—promotional advance copies, bound galleys, uncorrected proofs, and advance reading copies sent by publishers to book reviewers and booksellers."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edition_(book)

As this is a sort of advance offering, I think that the definition we are working with is that of the 'first run'.
It would be problematic for me to write '1st Edition' on the cover for two reasons. First, it would be misleading in that it is one of many books. Second, It may need its own ISBN number, which is easier said than done. I will be printing through the distributor company, which means that any book that I have printed via them would also need to be offered for sale by them. Obviously, I want to limit the '1st Edition' to 100. Assuming things go to plan, the book will be offered for sale through a distributor sometime in the future, though those would obviously not be signed or be the '1st printing'.

I think the best approach is for me to print up to 100 copies for myself, which I will then number, sign, and ship. I can use a stamp, and possibly a sticker on the front saying something like 'Special First Edition - Numbered".

monkeynuts
Legendary

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 12:50:13 PM

Like that idea !
Pistachio
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 12:54:47 PM

What about some kind of bitcoin themed security hologram on the front to signify the first 100 copies??

thanks

You could turn the book into another physical storage of bitcoin by adding a hologram inside the cover with a private key and your signature over it. If you do this and post a public address list. I will donate 0.05btc to a random address.
bithalo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1017

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 01:29:33 PM
Last edit: February 04, 2016, 02:47:48 PM by bithalo

What about some kind of bitcoin themed security hologram on the front to signify the first 100 copies??

thanks

You could turn the book into another physical storage of bitcoin by adding a hologram inside the cover with a private key and your signature over it. If you do this and post a public address list. I will donate 0.05btc to a random address.

Interesting idea.  The book itself becomes a paper wallet.  I imagine to save cost it would have to be a generic holo as I doubt Elianite wants to incur added expense of a custom holo, and we don't wish to add delays to the project.  But I'll let him decide if it's something worth doing.

The benefit is that it makes a printed bound version more special than a pdf which wouldn't have the physical wallet attached.

Here is one example that I've purchased from before to make paper wallets.  

https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/#purchase

The encyclopedia isn't covering paper wallets in this edition due to time constraints.  However we are including almost every different coin and bar (wallets and non wallets) made to date.  It's a huge list.

Co-author to the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  More details can be found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2767515.0
Pistachio
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 01:53:36 PM

How about something like the NFC sticker? used by Papersafe wallets??
It could be covered by the hologram....
I would donate for this extra feature Wink

+1
I would donate some BTC to any of the following to help cover the costs of supplying holograms for this project: BG4, gravitate, Technomage, SHIBANU, or Blazed/silver wallets. Maybe one of them would offer a special price on their holograms to help out this project and some shameless self-promotion. Wink
monkeynuts
Legendary

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 01:57:34 PM

I too would pay for this to happen.

I also like the idea to fund. Just a nominal amount, even a single satoshi, the amount isnt important. But it time and date stamps the release of the book, and the date of issue. A description could be placed on the Blockchain ... "The Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoin and Crypto-Currencies copy X/100"

This is too perfect not to be done. A book about physical wallets, being a physical wallet itself - GENIUS
monkeynuts
Legendary

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 01:59:36 PM

Numbered holograms, to match the X / 100 number ... ?

How expensive would that be (and how long would it take)
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 02:06:52 PM

+1
I would donate some BTC to any of the following to help cover the costs of supplying holograms for this project: BG4, gravitate, Technomage, SHIBANU, or Blazed/silver wallets. Maybe one of them would offer a special price on their holograms to help out this project and some shameless self-promotion. Wink

How many are needed? I would be willing to donate some for sure.
monkeynuts
Legendary

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 02:33:14 PM

+1

How many are needed? I would be willing to donate some for sure.

Unsure a maker of assembled coins would want their holo stickers out in the wild. Blazed / Silver Wallets is a good shout, as the silver wallets are issued DIY, and the stickers are available as separates already.
bithalo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1017

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 02:37:51 PM

I don't want to jump the gun before Elianite can confirm if this is something to move ahead with, but thinking out loud, perhaps 100 holos or a few more just in case of mistakes in applying them.  But since fewer are currently reserved perhaps less would be needed now.

I wonder if applying a holo to a glossy front cover would come off too easy, so the inside page would be better to affix to?

Co-author to the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  More details can be found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2767515.0
Pistachio
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 02:53:06 PM

I don't want to jump the gun before Elianite can confirm if this is something to move ahead with, but thinking out loud, perhaps 100 holos or a few more just in case of mistakes in applying them.  But since fewer are currently reserved perhaps less would be needed now.

I wonder if applying a holo to a glossy front cover would come off too easy, so the inside page would be better to affix to?

Agreed, the inside cover should attach better and having an original signature with an embossing seal would be even better. It will take another week or two to order and cost another $40-$60. At least that is what it cost back when I was a notary in a previous life. I don't know if Elianite will want to mess with it, but it would look sharp. USA customers could funded their own wallets with the 0.001btc in order to avoid any legal issues or maybe a third party could handle any USA shipping to avoid selling directly to USA customs. I am guessing there are only a handful of us.   
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: