Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:17:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you fools pathetic - or what?  (Read 3272 times)
fancy_pants

Activity: 663
Merit: 501

quarkchain.io

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2015, 11:20:00 PM

"you CANNOT as a private citizen in the U.S. legally buy or sell over $5000 worth of any type of currency in a single day without a money transmitter license."  <-- bullshit.  Feel free to send link to back up this claim.

Shrem was a compliance officer for his MSB business.  So,  he volunteered in writing that he would proactively report transactions, then he didn't report. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Natalia_AnatolioPAMM

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 11:33:05 PM

So, this is a begging topic...

not thought-provoking or anything. thats sad Huh
seethevalue

Activity: 173

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 11:38:17 PM

Give to people who are not in jail and can use it..
1Fo1atLWjHmkUMVd1vXaqM1Nzn7Y1G6uCQ

as I've been stolen from it's only right, a few £1000 it's only right.
snarlpill

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2015, 11:50:19 PM

C'mon guys - this is just crazy.  The poor guy went to JAIL yesterday.  He has done so much for the community.  His crime was TINY!  

This is all we managed to scrape up for him?  (.6 BTC)  What!?
https://blockchain.info/address/1NEgShr962NMHXet3WTVzwuW2189JRrP93

C'mon you cheap bastards, give the guy a few bucks.  

I challenge you, no, I demand you pick up your damn android and kick down a few bucks.  Just to make his first day feel a little better like someone actually cares.  I am sleeping in nice sheets tonight - he is sleeping with four roommates on canvas.  To answer this challenge, please send .111 bitcoin to 1NEgShr962NMHXet3WTVzwuW2189JRrP93 so we can see who agrees.

It looks like bracek gave him 60 BTC.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=817069.0

I'm glad you brought this up Og. I didn't know Charlie personally but liked the guy from what I did know about him.   .....up until I learned that he had ripped bracek off for 60 BTC, knowingly and intentionally. It was definitely no accident and it seemed like he was using his higher reputation to get away with stealing from a lower rep. member. I'm not saying everything about the guy is bad, but that was definitely wrong.

9kv

Activity: 145

Learning

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 12:03:38 AM

I don't have Android Sad sorry Sad
50ouncebrew

Activity: 459
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 12:40:01 AM

he has enough fuck you

▄▄▄ ▐████▄▄▄▄           
       ▄▄███▀▀ ▐██▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄       
     ▄██▀▀ ▄▄▄████  ██▄▄ ▀▀██▄     
   ▄██▀ ▄███▀▀▀      ▀▀███▄ ▀██▄   
  ██▌ ▄██▀  ▄▄███████▄▄  ▀██▄ ▀██ 
 ██▌ ▄██  ▄██████▌ ▀████▄  ██▄ ▐██
▐██ ▐██  ████▀ ██▌   ▀ ▀██ ██▌ ██▌
██▌ ██▌ ▐█▌    ██▌      ▐█▌ ▐██ ▐██
██▌ ██▌ ▐█▌    ██▌  █▄█ ▐█▌ ▐██ ▐██
▐██ ▐█▀  ██▄   ██▌  ███▄██  ██▌ ██▌
 ██▌  ▄▄  ▀██▄ ██▌  ████▀  ████▄   
  ███████▄  ▀▀███████▀▀  ▄▄▄ ▀███ 
   ▀▀ ▄ ▀███▄▄▄     ▄▄▄███▀ ▄███▀ 
     ▀██▄▄ ▀▀▀███████▀▀▀ ▄▄███▀   
       ▀▀████▄▄▄   ▄▄▄████▀▀       
           ▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
  M A E S T R O         
REVOLUTIONIZING THE DIGITAL MUSIC WORLD

██
   ██    ██
   ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██

██
   ██    ██
   ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██

WHITEPAPER (KO)        WHITEPAPER (EN)     

TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK     TWITTER    ANN THREAD

MEDIUM   YOUTUBE   GITHUB   INSTAGRAM   KAKAOTALK
toytoboy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 05:33:17 AM

Two questions.  Who is that?  Why did he go to jail?
What are you kidding?  It is Charlie Schrem.  Definitely not a pedo.  He sold bitcoin to people who were supplying bitcoin to Silk Road.  It is the smallest crime imaginable after cross the road without permission.

Everyone can anything they are not yet know. You should be polite
vankoovo

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:24:36 AM

Forget it and let's begin your work harder
MF Doom

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 11:31:09 AM

I've seen a video about him once. The guy had his own bar and a downtown apartment in his early 20s, it's not like he's a poor kid in need of some tips.
I don't sympathize with greedy rich boys like him.

Yeah, and now add scammer/thief to that.  Someone on here is out a lot of money.

He doesn't need or deserve anything from anyone on here.  He will be in a fine position to get back to his life when hes out in a few years.  But if you read up he did have to forfeit almost $1 million, so that may have been most of his wealth, then again maybe not!
bracek

Activity: 530

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 11:25:55 PM

I've seen a video about him once. The guy had his own bar and a downtown apartment in his early 20s, it's not like he's a poor kid in need of some tips.
I don't sympathize with greedy rich boys like him.

Yeah, and now add scammer/thief to that.  Someone on here is out a lot of money.

He doesn't need or deserve anything from anyone on here.  He will be in a fine position to get back to his life when hes out in a few years.  But if you read up he did have to forfeit almost $1 million, so that may have been most of his wealth, then again maybe not!

check here :

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=817069.0;all
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 12:44:57 AM

I'm glad you brought this up Og. I didn't know Charlie personally but liked the guy from what I did know about him.   .....up until I learned that he had ripped bracek off for 60 BTC, knowingly and intentionally. It was definitely no accident and it seemed like he was using his higher reputation to get away with stealing from a lower rep. member. I'm not saying everything about the guy is bad, but that was definitely wrong.

35BTC plus interest... which may be very expensive to pay back by the time he gets out of jail. Other than that I don't know much about him except he was instrumental to the community in the early days and probably not a bad guy overall but made some mistakes that he needs to make good on.

How about people donate to bracek on behalf of Shrem's debt instead of giving to Shrem directly?

TheMage

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 03:28:44 AM

the guy was consistently moving a large amount of btc (to drug traffickers) , without a money transmitter license , aka felony money laundering , per the law ... just so anyone else out there is aware - you CANNOT as a private citizen in the U.S. legally buy or sell over $5000 worth of any type of currency in a single day without a money transmitter license ... whether that's btc/pesos/euros/seashells/usd , if you're converting currency , there are legal restrictions on what you can and cannot do ... he broke the law , and now is in jail ... i wonder why nobody wants to give free money to a criminal money launderer ? ? ?

He did have a money transmitter license. He owned Bitinstant which was legally registered in New York. You were only legally allowed to purchase $1k in BTC per day, however he found out that a user with connections to the silk road was bypassing the $1k/day limit. He then got nailed for his relationship to the Silk Road through that intermediary.

There are additional details in the case, but that is the gist. I dont know, I am personally a fan of Charlie Shrem, I am of the opinion that if this was a standard USD business and not a BTC business in question, he would have got a slap on the wrist and a warning that what he was doing could be considered illegal. People are quick to defend him, because this was one of the first cases of pretty openly biass of law enforcement targeting a Bitcoin business to send a message.

Sorry Salty but this is really only half the story and the full truth is much worse. What he did was he deliberately and knowingly told a drug dealer how to avoid triggering AML AFTER said dealer has his account shut down. Here is a full quote quote from another thread I posted in on the "long story short".

Sorry if this was said already (post skipped after page 1), but for those who are crying "Poor Charlie"...

http://www.justice.gov/usao/nys/pressreleases/January14/SchremFaiellaChargesPR/Faiella,%20Robert%20M.%20and%20Charlie%20Shrem%20Complaint.pdf

Long story short, BTCking triggered AML and and email was sent to him by bitinstant (some people CC'ed on the email, Charlie included), and said they were closing his account.

Charlie went behind that email and solicited BTCking to continue using them, and told him how to avoid triggering their AML policy (keep in mind as their AML office in charge of enforcing those policies).

Silk road, drugs, government not getting a cut (taxes), and every other conspiracy here aside, what Charlie did was reckless, stupid, and illegal. Those who are cheering him on as some martyr need a reality check.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
MF Doom

Activity: 560

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 02:05:31 PM

Sorry Salty but this is really only half the story and the full truth is much worse. What he did was he deliberately and knowingly told a drug dealer how to avoid triggering AML AFTER said dealer has his account shut down. Here is a full quote quote from another thread I posted in on the "long story short".

so long story short, he IS a criminal (regardless if he's a "likable guy") and he is serving the time in jail that he no doubt earned.  Moreover he scammed someone on here for a large amount.   So he does not need/deserve sympathy or donations.

Donating to the victim is a much better idea, as someone suggested.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 02:36:18 PM

It's not just a btc crime. Lots of people go to jail for similar money laundering crimes. When you are a compliance officer that helps someone launder drug money you risk spending a long time in prison. He actually got a pretty light sentence considering how much the Feds wanted to attack anyone connected with Silk Road.

EL PASO, TEXAS (AP) -- A West Texas man has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for using his car repair business to launder drug money

Jed Ladin, 67, of Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, pleaded guilty last year to a money-laundering conspiracy charge. He admitted he used his jewelry and precious metals business, Golden Opportunities in Hallandale Beach, to illegally transfer cash to more than 20 people in Mexico. Jed Ladin was sentenced last week to three years in federal prison and must begin serving his time on July 31. U.S. District Judge Beth Bloom also ordered him to perform 500 hours of community service and complete three years of probation.

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- A New York man has pleaded guilty to money-laundering conspiracy . Marc Schulman, 35, who also goes by the names "Marc Loren," "Nicky Loren" and "Nicky Schulman," operated a Manhattan-based business, which was not identified in an indictment filed against the defendant. Schulman faces a possible 33 to 41 months in prison.

A court in Boston (Massachusetts) has sentenced 23-year-old Russian Alexei Shushlyannikov to three years in prison for money laundering. Shushlyannikov entered the US on a student visa in May 2012.

TheMage

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 01:40:39 AM

It's not just a btc crime. Lots of people go to jail for similar money laundering crimes. When you are a compliance officer that helps someone launder drug money you risk spending a long time in prison. He actually got a pretty light sentence considering how much the Feds wanted to attack anyone connected with Silk Road.

This is what I don't get, people around here want to paint this an anti-BTC government when it was clear (for those of us who read the information) what he was doing was illegal outside of BTC.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
Mt. Gox

Activity: 350
Merit: 118

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 10:23:38 AM

...Moreover he scammed someone on here for a large amount.   So he does not need/deserve sympathy or donations.

I'm curious as to why Shrem would do this. He was an early adopter who ran BitInstant right? What use would he have for 60 BTC?

Dear GOD/GODS and/or anyone else who can HELP ME (e.g. MEMBERS OF SUPER-INTELLIGENT ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS): The next time I wake up, please change my physical form to that of FINN MCMILLAN of SOUTH NEW BRIGHTON at 8 YEARS OLD and keep it that way FOREVER. I am so sick of this chubby Asian man body! Thank you! - CHAUL JHIN KIM (a.k.a. A DESPERATE SOUL) P.S. If anyone is reading this then please pray for me! [ www.chauljhin.com ]
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 11:40:07 AM

...Moreover he scammed someone on here for a large amount.   So he does not need/deserve sympathy or donations.

I'm curious as to why Shrem would do this. He was an early adopter who ran BitInstant right? What use would he have for 60 BTC?

60 btc is still a lot of money to be gained for free.
lucullus

Activity: 529

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 11:42:32 AM

This guy is a scum bag
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: