Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 02:11:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I trust BTC exchanges?  (Read 21686 times)
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 01:15:25 PM

The point is why should you ? Right now, there are exchanges that allows you to trade without having the requirement of a site wallet at all. Try www.100bit.co.in. There exchange commission is extremely competitive too. The only problem you'll face is lack of volume, but I have seen, at least my region people are coming on board. So, why Trust, if you can Trade in a Trustless environment ?

never heard of this exchange before, but the domain is not really enviting to be honest. especially exchanges should have a solid domain extension.
Victor Beckham

Activity: 243
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:25:34 PM

The point is why should you ? Right now, there are exchanges that allows you to trade without having the requirement of a site wallet at all. Try www.100bit.co.in. There exchange commission is extremely competitive too. The only problem you'll face is lack of volume, but I have seen, at least my region people are coming on board. So, why Trust, if you can Trade in a Trustless environment ?

never heard of this exchange before, but the domain is not really enviting to be honest. especially exchanges should have a solid domain extension.

.co.in is a country level domain similar to .co.uk. Even Google runs one of its version on this... www.google.co.in.

randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:45:42 PM

.co.in is a country level domain similar to .co.uk. Even Google runs one of its version on this... www.google.co.in.

i know it's a country level domain. i meant to say it's not really professional as it is a domain hack. for an exchange i would expect it to use a solid domain.
SpanishSoldier

Activity: 686
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 11:01:39 PM

-If you are asking for keeping your coins for a long time , you cannot absolutely trust any exchange currently. There is no insurance mechanism for hacked/stolen coins at the exchanges.

Actually Xapo and Coinbase are insured and your coins are fully covered if you put them in their vaults. Maybe there are more insured exchanges - those are just the ones I know.

I have read the terms of CoinBase insurance. They are as good as having no insurance. They have got a provision in their term to turn the responsibility of any loss on to the user. Regarding storage, I prefer paper wallet and for regular use blockchain.info. For trading, only direct trading exchanges are the way to go. Those are fast & secured.
rio3232

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 02:26:50 AM

Depend which exchanges you choose, you can try search google is he recommended or not.
Or you can try to check here. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=53.0
There's many recommended exchanges here.
Troonetpt

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 02:53:25 AM

Do you have other choice, if you want to trade in the exchange, you have to trust it temporary, may be in the near future, the decentralized exchange will not need your trust.
silverolivia

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 10:28:14 AM

Howdy,
I've been using one for a couple months now and it's given no reason to mistrust it. But it seems weird to me sending my money to an intermediary that's neither a wallet nor a bank and is entirely online. Feels like the money is hanging out in some nowhere zone that isn't completely under my control...

Dies any one else feel this way or do I just not understand this stuff well enough yet?

Thanks!

You feel like the money is hanging out in some nowhere zone because it is  Cheesy Never leave you bitcoin on exchanges for longer than you need to it is not safe to not control your own bitcoin there is a saying if you don't control the private key you don't own bitcoin and that is true. Any minute they could up and leave and what could you do?
indeed! Cheesy
but anyways.  there is no other way to exchange coins, except of if you friends r not holding any of it and won't help you with exchange. x) but still. M28MmickT is right xD
okae
Legendary

Activity: 1401
Merit: 1008

northern exposure

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 10:37:02 AM

Howdy,
I've been using one for a couple months now and it's given no reason to mistrust it. But it seems weird to me sending my money to an intermediary that's neither a wallet nor a bank and is entirely online. Feels like the money is hanging out in some nowhere zone that isn't completely under my control...

Dies any one else feel this way or do I just not understand this stuff well enough yet?

Thanks!

never never trust on anything out of your safe wallet, i mean, everything out of your wallet is insecure, hell, even if this is on your wallet will never be 100% secure Tongue

im not saying to dont use his services, but just be carefully with it and never have lot of your money on them, you know...

IMHO #1.b of suspects, Hal Finney is/was S.N.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 10:40:18 AM

Howdy,

Thanks!

never never trust on anything out of your safe wallet, i mean, everything out of your wallet is insecure, hell, even if this is on your wallet will never be 100% secure Tongue

im not saying to dont use his services, but just be carefully with it and never have lot of your money on them, you know...

Use the exchanges to convert/buy coin.  But use a safe wallet for sure something like a cold wallet.

A exchange even the best could possibly one day be hacked worst case they loss a lot of btc, you don't want to be one of those who lose.  Only trust your own cold storage.
Nowi

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 07:36:57 PM

Where are you from ? I thing every country which has a base of people who are interested in bitcoin has few trusty exchanges. Just find them on bitcoin-talk by refferences.

Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 08:04:02 PM

if you want to acquire bitcoin, you need to trust someone, either exchanges or the people you will the coins from.

and exchanges are the only option if you want to trade
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 08:17:27 PM

if you want to acquire bitcoin, you need to trust someone, either exchanges or the people you will the coins from.

There are other options such as using other people like localbitcoin.  But I like exchanges it is safer and lower costs in my mind.  That is assuming you use a good exchange.

Don't keep your BTC on the exchange though.   Move it to a address you control after you get it, this prevents many problems.
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 08:21:27 PM

There are other options such as using other people like localbitcoin.  But I like exchanges it is safer and lower costs in my mind.  That is assuming you use a good exchange.

Don't keep your BTC on the exchange though.   Move it to a address you control after you get it, this prevents many problems.

If you use localbitcoins you have to trust that the other part won't rob you or double spend or try to scam you
b-trading

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 11:08:08 AM

Just use the exchange for trading if you need it or if you have a good time to buy or to sell..after you do the transaction then send your btc to your own wallet not save in the excange it is not secure ( In My Opinion )
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 11:48:03 AM

Just use the exchange for trading if you need it or if you have a good time to buy or to sell..after you do the transaction then send your btc to your own wallet not save in the excange it is not secure ( In My Opinion )

I mention this two posts up Smiley.  Use a secure wallet.  Don't use a exchange as a place to hold BTC as a general rule.

Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 06:19:10 PM

Look, if you don't own your private keys, you don't own your money(BTCs). So use the exchanges only for the trades and then get you money out of there. Trust me, many have gone down. And 2 times I was couple of hours from losing my money on the exchanges, the last time this was with BTER, when I withdrew an evening before they apparently got hacked.
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 10:18:25 PM

My advise is that you shouldn't

look what happened with mtgox, it was the biggest and many people lost their bitcoins, I have lost in exchanges too

So, just avoid having big amounts in exchanges unless it is necessary
Nowi

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 06:54:45 AM

Just buy and sell on good exchanges. I have tried coinomat, and it is really simple and safe, you can get there by my signature.

n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 07:35:08 AM

Howdy,

Thanks!

You're right. The money that are not in your wallet (whatever they are) are not under your control. But the exchanges are necessary to fulfill your needs. Without those your money maybe cannot be used. So the question is not if we need to use those but how we will use those. My advice is to leave the money on those as less as possible. There are exchanges that gives profits to leave money on those. But I will not suggest this. Do the change and take your money. then another way the same thing when you will have need.
g1974ak

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 07:39:41 AM

Howdy,

Thanks!

You're right. The money that are not in your wallet (whatever they are) are not under your control. But the exchanges are necessary to fulfill your needs. Without those your money maybe cannot be used. So the question is not if we need to use those but how we will use those. My advice is to leave the money on those as less as possible. There are exchanges that gives profits to leave money on those. But I will not suggest this. Do the change and take your money. then another way the same thing when you will have need.

Agree in full with this. I can give an example about this suggestion. Time ago I made change at bter. Changed dogecoin with bitcoin. In those times I mine dogecoin with a cloud mining and had big profits in dogecoin everyday. So I changed dogecoin in bitcoin everyday. Bter gave (I don't know now) profits if you leave coins in its site. I never did this. One day bter was hacked. What happened to my coins if I would leaved those at the bter account? The answer is simple. Buy, buy coins....
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: