Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:11:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I trust BTC exchanges?  (Read 21686 times)
uniton

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 09:51:10 AM

I do trust some of them to a certain extent, like poloniex and bittrex

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 10:08:28 AM

If I were you, I would never put even satoshis in my account with any reason.
Just trade, redeem and let your coins sit in your account instead of fearing to lose them all at once, as many exchanges got hacked so never trust them to store your coins there.
taxmanmt5
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 11:05:04 AM

As far as i am concerned i park my funds in 4 exchanges n till date i find it safe..

Polo, bittrex, yobit & C-cex.. i have joined Empo Ex today n hoping for a good ride there too Smiley
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2015, 12:23:18 PM

you cannot trust any centralized exchange. fortunately, some are working on the centralized part. https://bitshares.org/blog/2015/06/16/danish-firm-set-to-revolutionize-cryptocurrency-industry/ Exchange CCEDK for example, they will move to a decentralized model soon

Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 08:39:36 AM

Well you can but it depends on the reputation of the site
Personally I store my btc on a local exchange site, I trust them cuz I've visited once their company
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 02:52:22 PM

It's always a question of faith...
But today you can find trusted digital currency exchanges. I've always used Bitstamp and Kraken and never had any problems.
So... in a way, It is safe to tell you that these 2 exchanges can be trusted.
newflesh

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 03:20:17 PM

Not really, I put minimal trust in exchanges. Even using well established sites like btc-e and cryptsy is risky imho, especially if you're intending to keep substantial amounts of btc on them. I've always exchanged currencies and then immediately withdraw funds to my own wallets.
Nowi

Activity: 140

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 03:55:36 PM

Just buy and sell on good exchanges. I have tried coinomat, and it is really simple and safe, you can get there by my signature.

yummyransom

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 04:48:02 AM

Depends on which exchange you are using. I generally do not trust exchanges. They can be hacked at any time. Your money is not safe there. Do small trades and withdraw all your cryptos to your own wallet as often as possible.
Yes! That's a good advice.Smiley

uniton

Activity: 134

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 11:09:46 AM

Just buy and sell on good exchanges. I have tried coinomat, and it is really simple and safe, you can get there by my signature.
nice,i just wondering about it
Could you make a review for me about coinomat,and may i know do you used the debit card?

smith coins

Activity: 504

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 12:52:40 PM

Exchange what you have to exchange and withdraw all your bitcoin.
But sometimes we want to trade more and more and time by time it gets risky to hold there.
lorylore
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 01:32:42 PM

In February this year there was a huge hack in the bter exchange where were stolen 7,170 BTC around 1.75 Million Dollar

It is always risky to hold your funds in exchange, even if it is large or small amount of BTC Sad

Source: http://www.coindesk.com/bter-bitcoin-stolen-cold-wallet-hack/
wicks

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 01:36:58 PM

Depends on which exchange want to use
worhiper_-_

Activity: 700

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 01:40:26 PM

As of now, large bitcoin exchanges built their business model based on trust. Regardless if they use multisig or technologies of such fashion I think that whenever there's fiat involved in an online transaction you're relying on other parties so trust is vital. However, if the exchange has been handling a lot of trades without issues for a long time then I think they can be trusted. Still, you should leave your funds with them for the minimum period of time.
dre1982

Activity: 770
Merit: 284

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 01:43:57 PM

Maybe you can trust them but for your own safety you shouldnt do that.

Do you remember Mintpal. It was one of the biggest exchange, until this happend:
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/mintpals-3700-stolen-bitcoin-likely-in-hands-of-alleged-scammer-alex-green/

Lot's of people lost a lot of BTC. So just use a exchange to exchange your coins and withdraw them immediately.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
oxiyusuf

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 02:02:23 PM

In February this year there was a huge hack in the bter exchange where were stolen 7,170 BTC around 1.75 Million Dollar

It is always risky to hold your funds in exchange, even if it is large or small amount of BTC Sad

Well this is because we do not have all control over the wallet in the exchanger, but if it wants to keep in the exchangertry intalling 2FA and other security features
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2015, 03:02:55 PM

I know exactly what you mean, I'm never really comfortable leaving my coins on exchanges. However over time, I've come to trust a couple that I feel are safe enough (for me), Bitstamp for Bitcoin and Bittrex for altcoins. It's just too much hassle to have to move coins to and from wallets if you trade everyday. Plus it is possible that you miss price spikes and buying opportunities if you have to wait for coins sent from your wallet to confirm.
Nami

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 06:27:43 PM

I know exactly what you mean, I'm never really comfortable leaving my coins on exchanges. However over time, I've come to trust a couple that I feel are safe enough (for me), Bitstamp for Bitcoin and Bittrex for altcoins. It's just too much hassle to have to move coins to and from wallets if you trade everyday. Plus it is possible that you miss price spikes and buying opportunities if you have to wait for coins sent from your wallet to confirm.

It sounds like a hassle, but its worth it for being safe if you plan to trade everyday.

Good habits, always tends to pay off. But, I dont usually leave coins exchange either, its like expecting your friend to pay you back a hit or miss.
lorylore
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 07:10:28 PM

Well this is because we do not have all control over the wallet in the exchanger, but if it wants to keep in the exchangertry intalling 2FA and other security features

When you send your money in this case bitcoins you will not have control of it?

The 2 factor authentication has nothing to do in this case because doesn't stop the exchange owner to take your money.

But it is a security factor to prevent other users to access your account. Good luck.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 10:41:18 AM

Well for the people trading, this is just considered as an additional risk on the top of the risk of trading, a risk that the exchange can go bust and you can lose all your coins. When you take a look at all of the exchanges that were hacked and where people have lost their coins in the last 2 years, it's hard to dodge a bullet and not get caught in one hack.

So the best is to withdraw your coins or not trade at all. I know it's a hassle and honestly after some time, you get tired of it and stop trading all together, at least I did.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: