Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:29:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A microscopic view of Casacius physical bitcoins  (Read 5514 times)
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 03:24:38 PM

I have seen photos lose their color fidelity over the years, but have you ever seen old documents turn into blank paper? Me neither. Smiley

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 03:37:05 PM

I have seen photos lose their color fidelity over the years, but have you ever seen old documents turn into blank paper? Me neither. Smiley

casascius,

I have some of your coins and I was really wondering how long I can expect to be able to read them.

I was not trying to scare anyone.

Do you print them or do you write them by hand? What kind of ink do you use?

spiccioli
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 04:22:40 PM

They are inkjet-printed, and I processed the private keys entirely myself.  Inkjet was deliberately chosen over several potential other possibilities including laser printing, thermal printing, dye sublimation, and laser engraving (all of which are available to me), with security and longevity being primary concerns.

The inkjet used to print the private keys is different from the inkjet on the outside of the series 1 coins.

If somehow the inkjet began to fade over time, we'd start to discover this as people opened their coins for redemption, long before the blacks would fade to white (assuming such was possible).

As for whether I'd write them by hand, no way - that would be egregious both in terms of difficulty and possibility for transcription mistakes.  However, I did inspect every single sheet of keys (330/sheet) by hand to ensure complete and legible printing, proper alignment, proper front-to-back registration and key correlation (public/private), as well as completeness of the print job without any duplications.  They are then laser-cut into circles.  So I am totally confident that every single key circle is good, and have no shivers about sending (for example) 1000 BTC to one of them when one goes in a gold coin.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 11:16:48 AM

They are inkjet-printed, and I processed the private keys entirely myself.  Inkjet was deliberately chosen over several potential other possibilities including laser printing, thermal printing, dye sublimation, and laser engraving (all of which are available to me), with security and longevity being primary concerns.

The inkjet used to print the private keys is different from the inkjet on the outside of the series 1 coins.

If somehow the inkjet began to fade over time, we'd start to discover this as people opened their coins for redemption, long before the blacks would fade to white (assuming such was possible).

As for whether I'd write them by hand, no way - that would be egregious both in terms of difficulty and possibility for transcription mistakes.  However, I did inspect every single sheet of keys (330/sheet) by hand to ensure complete and legible printing, proper alignment, proper front-to-back registration and key correlation (public/private), as well as completeness of the print job without any duplications.  They are then laser-cut into circles.  So I am totally confident that every single key circle is good, and have no shivers about sending (for example) 1000 BTC to one of them when one goes in a gold coin.

casascius,

thanks for the explanation!

spiccioli
JMAHH

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 11:41:39 AM

+1
squid

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 11:50:44 AM

As a graduate student with access to high resolution microscopes and an SEM I am tempted to buy one of these just to examine it.
JMAHH

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 12:04:01 PM

As a graduate student with access to high resolution microscopes and an SEM I am tempted to buy one of these just to examine it.

DO IT
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 03:35:14 PM

If you examine one and post your findings I will reimburse the cost of one coin plus shipping.

squid

Activity: 112

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 05:26:36 PM

If you examine one and post your findings I will reimburse the cost of one coin plus shipping.

Do you have a coin denomination in particular you'd like examined? Otherwise I will just look at the gen2 1 btc coin
Michael_S

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

Bitcoin-Note-and-Voucher-Printing-Empowerer

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 03:20:09 AM

I read about these physical bitcoins only now - I think it is a nice concept to make bitcoin a bit more tangible and spread it further, and of course it could be used in offline transactions for small amounts.

Two question to Mike, both not crucially important, I am just asking for curiosity:

First, the Casascius 10 BTC Silver Round (http://casascius.appspot.com/group?type=5) has 3 circles of seemingly random 0s and 1s around it (visible even w/o microscope ;-) ). Is it really random, or does this sequence of bits carry any hidden message/meaning (byte code, morse code or whatever)? It would surprise me if these carefully and well-designed coins did not carry any meaning in this bit sequence...

Secondly, what does the nickname "casascius" stand for? At least it is not easy to remember, I always have to concentrate to avoid mistyping it.

quasarbtc

Activity: 70

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 03:59:07 AM

Nice images. Not bad for the money.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 08:35:55 AM

First, the Casascius 10 BTC Silver Round (http://casascius.appspot.com/group?type=5) has 3 circles of seemingly random 0s and 1s around it (visible even w/o microscope ;-) ). Is it really random, or does this sequence of bits carry any hidden message/meaning (byte code, morse code or whatever)? It would surprise me if these carefully and well-designed coins did not carry any meaning in this bit sequence...
It's ASCII for "Bitcoin: an idea too big to fail". The BTC25 coin has a similar message that reads "You asked for change, we gave you coins".

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Domrada

Activity: 254

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2013, 12:45:40 AM

given the recent renewed interest in casascius coins, i thought this thread deserved a bump... yw.

DataTrading
TRADE FORECASTING BY ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
¦
PRE-SALE SPECIAL  30%  BONUS   
Pre sale starts on 11.20.2017 9:00 UTC
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: