Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:07:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Miner... possible functionality  (Read 17861 times)
johncarl (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 04:43:49 PM

Ive been working on a miner and I have some questions around what people would like to see.

Would multiple cards working in tandem be attractive?  As in, multiple cards working on the same work request.  I am not sure if this would prove to be a faster way to mine, but it is an alternative to running separate miners on separate work requests per gpu.  In addition to this, I have the option of running 1 miner to handle multiple gpus in parallel.

I'm also looking to get some beta testers involved in my miner.  I'm not quite ready for a beta yet, but please ping me if you're interested.

Are there any features that are lacking in the current offering of mining software?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zagitta

Activity: 302
Merit: 100

Presale is live!

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 01:02:11 AM

I think a GUI would go a long way with a lot of windows people Smiley

I don't think making all cards work in tandem is a very good idea because it probably only would result in more trouble than it's worth, much like crossfire/sli did in the beginning when both cards were working on the same frame... It's quite a different senario yes but i still doubt it would be faster :3

trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 01:08:42 AM

What are you writing in? What platform are you targeting?
martok

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 01:35:46 AM

Realistically, the only thing that really matters is speed. Personally, I'd love to see a good fast miner written in C/C++ but that's just because I could hack on it. Python makes my brain cramp.
johncarl (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 08:57:28 PM

I don't think making all cards work in tandem is a very good idea because it probably only would result in more trouble than it's worth, much like crossfire/sli did in the beginning when both cards were working on the same frame... It's quite a different senario yes but i still doubt it would be faster :3

Agreed, a GUI would be nice.. I wonder if I could throw one on.  I know that there is a python based miner with a GUI out there.. haven't tried it though.

I wonder if I could handle the data differently than a crossfire/sli would... certainly at a higher level and simply divide the work chunks (what a gpu mines at a time) between the cards.  Potentially the overhead would be much less than fully integrating the cards together.  Unfortunately I don't have multiple GPUs, so im a little handycap writing this sort of code.  I think I may try it, as an option, but I think the default will simply give each card their own work.

I'm writing a Java based miner.  Target platforms are Linux and Windows... Ive heard Mac/OSX doesn't support opencl very well, but I guess it's a target as well.  I use basically the same opencl kernel that poclbm, phoenix and Diablo use.

Realistically, the only thing that really matters is speed. Personally, I'd love to see a good fast miner written in C/C++ but that's just because I could hack on it. Python makes my brain cramp.

Python makes my brain hurt too ;-)

Glad to see some responses to my post.. thought no one was interested ;-)  I'm planning on posting my code on github.. you guys interested in beta testing?
KnuttyD

Activity: 109
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 08:59:52 PM

Agreed, a GUI would be nice.. I wonder if I could throw one on.  I know that there is a python based miner with a GUI out there.. haven't tried it though.

I wonder if I could handle the data differently than a crossfire/sli would... certainly at a higher level and simply divide the work chunks (what a gpu mines at a time) between the cards.  Potentially the overhead would be much less than fully integrating the cards together.  Unfortunately I don't have multiple GPUs, so im a little handycap writing this sort of code.  I think I may try it, as an option, but I think the default will simply give each card their own work.

I'm writing a Java based miner.  Target platforms are Linux and Windows... Ive heard Mac/OSX doesn't support opencl very well, but I guess it's a target as well.  I use basically the same opencl kernel that poclbm, phoenix and Diablo use.

Python makes my brain hurt too ;-)

Glad to see some responses to my post.. thought no one was interested ;-)  I'm planning on posting my code on github.. you guys interested in beta testing?

I would love to see a C/C++ miner published!
If you need a beta tester, I can be one.

If I helped you in some way, and you feel obligated to do so, you can tip me some coin!
1KVadqbELY3KuJhkm9rDtcwxZknhRsfPHY
timmmay

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 12:35:54 PM

I'm keen to beta test.   I have some multi GPU rigs setup which I can test out for you.  If it means finder a more efficient way to mine then all the better for us all Smiley

dikidera

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 12:47:23 PM

And a -threads option to specify how many threads we want the GPU to use. It's for fine-tuning the hash output.
Dobrodav

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 10:31:04 PM

Be sure, that you put anough attention to network code. Miner shouldnt loss data sended to pool.
Miner shouldnt overload pooll with requests, if it did not get answer immediatly.

fasti

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 10:37:33 PM

Combining all GPU's to work like 1 big GPU would give advantage for quick rounds for sure, if there is no performance hit for combining them.

1QCcAR3e3wdxr7CcJ8ND1NmWuvLttCJScH
johncarl (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 03:15:42 AM

Quick update:

Just about ready for this beta with some good results on my end.  I will probably be contacting people that responded in the coming days to set up some trials.

Here are the features I have included so far:

gpu and cpu mining
multiple gpu support
long poll
multiple theads per gpu
various timeout parameters: getwork timeout, error timeout
tandem mining.

There is also no perceived performance difference when mining in tandem vs mining in parallel... at least with my 1 gpu and multiple cpu miners

Ive also put some work into unit / integration testing and archetecting the application, which I think has some merit.

All that being said, I would say my mining speed is comparable with all the other top miners.

Also, I have not focused on some of the more gpu / kernel specific compilation parameters (LOOPS, BFI_INT, etc), but im sure those will be easy to add.

Again, if you're interested in beta testing, contact me.
[Tycho]

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 03:17:12 AM

You may also include this.
https://deepbit.net/failover.php

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
johncarl (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 03:20:14 AM
Last edit: June 03, 2011, 03:34:28 AM by johncarl

That should be pretty easy to add... I'll get on that immediately.  Is this a new feature for deepbit and do the other pools implement this protocol?
licutis

Activity: 38

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 01:18:25 PM

Have you looked into adding MMP support? http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=5210.0

I am also interested in getting in on the beta for this. Have many boxes for the testing.
[Tycho]

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 01:35:50 PM

That should be pretty easy to add... I'll get on that immediately.  Is this a new feature for deepbit and do the other pools implement this protocol?
Currently it's a new feature, but other pools may follow too just like it happened with Long Polling.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
johncarl (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 02:53:12 PM

Maybe a possibility to specify a fallback pool, in case the primary pool goes down.

Thats not a bad idea too and may go hand in hand with Tycho's suggestion.  I'll see about adding that too.
Zagitta

Presale is live!

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 03:13:30 PM

You can sign me up for beta  Grin got a 4850X2 (dual gpu card) im willing to throw at it Smiley

Also i have another suggestion: Add different logging capabilities like logging the mhash/s every x second, temperatur and fan speed logging would be nice too but it might be a hassle if you want to support Nvidia and AMD...

If you follow up on the GUI request it might be nice to add graphs for the logs that opens in a new windo aswell but the primary idea was to log them to a txt file so they could be read by a seperate program if need be

johncarl (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 03:39:59 PM

You can sign me up for beta  Grin got a 4850X2 (dual gpu card) im willing to throw at it Smiley

Also i have another suggestion: Add different logging capabilities like logging the mhash/s every x second, temperatur and fan speed logging would be nice too but it might be a hassle if you want to support Nvidia and AMD...

If you follow up on the GUI request it might be nice to add graphs for the logs that opens in a new windo aswell but the primary idea was to log them to a txt file so they could be read by a seperate program if need be

Im pretty sure temperature and fan output would be very hard to make portable across gpu / os.  I think we're going to have to use a separate monitor for those.

Thanks for the input, ill add you to the beta.
johncarl (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 10:24:25 PM

Just read this post:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11723.0

I will be providing my code along with the beta, in case anyone would like to inspect for shenanigans :-).  This is one reason I gravitate towards open source.
Zagitta

Presale is live!

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 10:29:22 PM

Just read this post:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11723.0

I will be providing my code along with the beta, in case anyone would like to inspect for shenanigans :-).  This is one reason I gravitate towards open source.

Thumbs up for your effort in proving your innocense! And for not having me waste my time on decompiling more shit Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: