Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:39:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin confirmations times are taking over 4 EFFING HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 9412 times)
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 09:43:38 AM

What makes a 0 confirm unsafe ? (and no, a 51% attack is not a valid argument)

The transaction could exist just on your computer, never having made it to the blockchain for some technical reason.

You can check that in less than a second though so your point is moot.

Seriously please stop.
Enough with your BS.

You can NOT check that in a second - as Vod said that ONLY exists on YOUR COMPUTER.
Unless you have atleast 1 confirmation from ALL nodes then your transaction DIDN'T go through.

Once again, please stop and do some more reading.
Thank you for your time  Smiley

The dude actually posted a link of his transaction. A place that could be checked in less than a second. That does not exist on HIS COMPUTER.

Do some reading.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 09:45:03 AM

Sorry but confirmation is what makes things rock solid.
In fact 2 confirmations minimum IMO.

Anyone working with 0 confirmations is prone to get ripped off.

Please stop spreading misinformation. 0 confirmations are ok for most things

Please keep your thoughts to your self.

0 confirmations IS NOT OK UNLESS your buying a pack of chewing gum and the shop owner don't mind loosing $1.
When you do REAL trades confirmations are crucial to the success of your trade.

Please go read some more.
Thank you  Smiley

Why would it be ok for a dollar transaction but not larger ones? If it's a problem then it's a problem. Once the payment has been sent and the seller gets acknowledgement of that then it's as good as confirmed, but shops will use payment processors most likely. You can do a 'chargeback' or the card could be stolen and payment processors protect against this.

Personally I think that ALL transactions should have atleast 1 confirmation, but when you work in a place selling, I don't know, chewing gum, you wouldn't worry about it that much.
BUT, if you sold house appliances or video games, you would definetly wait for the confirmations.

Or, like anywhere else, you use a third party that handles that trust for you.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Rampton

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 09:45:51 AM

0 confirmations IS NOT OK UNLESS your buying a pack of chewing gum and the shop owner don't mind loosing $1.

Thank you  Smiley

Why would it be ok for a dollar transaction but not larger ones? If it's a problem then it's a problem. Once the payment has been sent and the seller gets acknowledgement of that then it's as good as confirmed, but shops will use payment processors most likely. You can do a 'chargeback' or the card could be stolen and payment processors protect against this.

Personally I think that ALL transactions should have atleast 1 confirmation, but when you work in a place selling, I don't know, chewing gum, you wouldn't worry about it that much.
BUT, if you sold house appliances or video games, you would definetly wait for the confirmations.

Well like I said previously that's where payment processors will come in and guarantee against any problems, but how often do double spends actually happen? How would someone wanting to buy a pack of chewing gum achieve that? They'd send the money from their phone and the shop would get acknowledgment of that on their client and then what? I'm not sure how a double spend could be achieved in this circumstance.

S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 09:49:46 AM

The transaction could exist just on your computer, never having made it to the blockchain for some technical reason.

Seriously please stop.
Enough with your BS.

You can NOT check that in a second - as Vod said that ONLY exists on YOUR COMPUTER.
Unless you have atleast 1 confirmation from ALL nodes then your transaction DIDN'T go through.

The dude actually posted a link of his transaction. A place that could be checked in less than a second. That does not exist on HIS COMPUTER.

Do some reading.

Will do.

Can I have the link you are reffering to?
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 09:50:34 AM

Seriously please stop.
Enough with your BS.

Do some reading.

Will do.

http://www.google.com

S4VV4S

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 09:50:43 AM

Thank you  Smiley

Right, like Coinbase and Cirlce right?

What about my private keys?

Oh wait, they don't exist with a third party service....
S4VV4S

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 09:52:04 AM

Seriously please stop.
Enough with your BS.

Thank you for your time  Smiley

Do some reading.

Will do.

You serious?
Coz you are not even funny.....

How is that a link to his transaction?

No seriously.......
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 09:52:56 AM

Thank you  Smiley

Most merchants use BitPay. BitPay handles transactions just like Visa handles transactions.

Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 09:54:14 AM

Seriously please stop.
Enough with your BS.

Do some reading.

Will do.

You serious?

No seriously.......

https://blockchain.info/tx/ed451475658e223faa12782abdd73eed08e0ed7f1a34799076cefa0104662aa3

it was posted in this thread... Huh

S4VV4S

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 09:54:40 AM

Thank you  Smiley

Most merchants use BitPay. BitPay handles transactions just like Visa handles transactions.

It also handles my privates keys - which I have no access to - right?
S4VV4S

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 09:55:48 AM

Seriously please stop.
Enough with your BS.

Do some reading.

Will do.

You serious?

No seriously.......

https://blockchain.info/tx/ed451475658e223faa12782abdd73eed08e0ed7f1a34799076cefa0104662aa3

it was posted in this thread... Huh

Thank you for clearing that.

Where does Google come in?

Coz like I said it was not even funny.
S4VV4S

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 09:57:10 AM

Enough with this thread - I have to go

FU guys (as in Fond of U  Wink ) guys.

Catch ya later aligator  Cheesy
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 10:01:41 AM

Thank you  Smiley

BitPay does not hold the private keys of the buyer. It converts bitcoins to fiat for the merchant.

Rampton

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 10:03:57 AM

I don't think this is relevant. You're complaining that you wont control your private keys but you're making a purchase so you're letting go of your private keys any way. Coinbase and Circle are just the medium. You send the coins to them and they send the fiat straight to the merchant. It's no different than using visa or mastercard and I'm afraid even with bitcoin to actually use it to pay for anything you have got to trust someone somewhere whether you're buying something online or in the real world.

S4VV4S

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 10:35:29 AM

Thank you  Smiley

BitPay does not hold the private keys of the buyer. It converts bitcoins to fiat for the merchant.

Thanks for the info, but I never mentioned BitPay  Wink
That being said, are they using multisig?
S4VV4S

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 10:36:30 AM

I don't think this is relevant. You're complaining that you wont control your private keys but you're making a purchase so you're letting go of your private keys any way. Coinbase and Circle are just the medium. You send the coins to them and they send the fiat straight to the merchant. It's no different than using visa or mastercard and I'm afraid even with bitcoin to actually use it to pay for anything you have got to trust someone somewhere whether you're buying something online or in the real world.

Can you explain a bit more about that?
Because what your claiming is a problem within the entire Bitcoin protocol.

Please do explain.
Thanks  Cheesy
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 11:02:00 AM

Thank you  Smiley

Thanks for the info, but I never mentioned BitPay  Wink
That being said, are they using multisig?

I'm done helping you promote your signature campaign.

Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 11:05:04 AM

There is no world-wide money transfer system that settles transaction faster than those 4 hours. Well, Bitcoin and its clones are most of the time much faster. If you are willing to accept the risc of chargebacks, you should accept 0-confirmation transactions.

I send euro from my bank to the person with the same bank in 1-2 hours.
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 11:07:21 AM

This is the second time in 2 days I've moved money and it's taken over 4 FUCKNG HOURS. .0001 BTC Fee. Pardon my french BUT WHAT IN THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE GODDAMN NETWORK that this is occuring? A fucking 300 baud modem could move data faster than this.

This is total unacccepptable epic bullshit on every level. You think bitcoin will go to 0 cents in the future? Well keep up this bullshit.
I've been testing something a while now sending 5460 satoshis frequently to/from the same address using 0.000015 as a fee and I usually got in in the FIRST block.

Maybe your wallet is not in synch and/or the transaction was never sent?

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 11:15:55 AM

This is the second time in 2 days I've moved money and it's taken over 4 FUCKNG HOURS. .0001 BTC Fee. Pardon my french BUT WHAT IN THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE GODDAMN NETWORK that this is occuring? A fucking 300 baud modem could move data faster than this.

This is total unacccepptable epic bullshit on every level. You think bitcoin will go to 0 cents in the future? Well keep up this bullshit.

The quick answer is that innovation stopped when Satoshi ran off with his 1 million bitcoin stash.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: