Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:48:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Request: Threats of Physical Violence as Grounds for BAN  (Read 1059 times)
cablepair (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 11:08:22 PM

I understand that people get very aggressive when they lose money , feel wronged, scammed or disrespected however I personally think that the direct threat of violence should be grounds for a perm ban.

This has not happened to me recently or anything but I have seen it a lot lately, and it's the kind of thing that once it starts it spreads and it's hard to stop.

I have nothing personal against individuals I have seen do this recently I know that a lof of people have lost a lot of money and are not happy - however I do not think threats of violence should be tolerated in my honest opinion.

What does everyone else think?

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
swissmate

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 11:17:52 PM

Lots of people make threads to everyone daily, for example while driving.
Why couldn't I do it here?

I don't take it as something offensive, it's just people that are nervous.

cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 11:23:14 PM

Lots of people make threads to everyone daily, for example while driving.
Why couldn't I do it here?

I don't take it as something offensive, it's just people that are nervous.

Its all a big joke until someone threatens the wrong person.

People talk a lot of tough guy stuff on the internet, but there are people who will seriously show up at your house ready to fight and there are lots of ways to find out who someone is and where they live.

I just like to think we are all better than that.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 11:23:31 PM

We delete posts which contain threats of physical violence. Remember to use the 'Report to Moderator' option if there's any offending posts. About the banning issue, I personally consider that the offenders should get a  temporary ban if he's been warned a few times. I'll leave the evaluation to theymos though.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 11:23:54 PM

Even though I think it would be supremely stupid for anyone who intended another member harm to state so publicly and it's therefore likely that those threatening harm are just venting, I'd still be happier if explicit threats of violence weren't tolerated.  I'd also like clarification from theymos about the extent to which he'll co-operate with authorities if threats of harm are carried out and law enforcement looks to this community to identify likely suspects.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 12:09:16 AM

Clear threats of violence often do result in bans, especially when the poster is also asking other people to commit violence. I kinda feel like I should leave threats up so the target of the threats can point the police to them.

I'd also like clarification from theymos about the extent to which he'll co-operate with authorities if threats of harm are carried out and law enforcement looks to this community to identify likely suspects.

I'd probably give police whatever info they want on a user who threatened to harm someone who was later actually harmed.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 12:32:53 AM

Clear threats of violence often do result in bans, especially when the poster is also asking other people to commit violence. I kinda feel like I should leave threats up so the target of the threats can point the police to them.

I'd also like clarification from theymos about the extent to which he'll co-operate with authorities if threats of harm are carried out and law enforcement looks to this community to identify likely suspects.

I'd probably give police whatever info they want on a user who threatened to harm someone who was later actually harmed.

thanks for responding to this so quickly Theymos, I just was reading BinaryMaged's post in this same board and got to thinking of some of the stuff I have been reading lately.

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 03:05:23 AM

Very glad to read this. I suppose deleted posts are archived somehow, and still available...?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 03:10:38 AM

Very glad to read this. I suppose deleted posts are archived somehow, and still available...?

Yes.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 05:29:13 AM

Pleased to read this.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: