Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:48:50 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which crypto would you be interested in seeing a physical representation of?
DASH
MadeSafeCoin
BitShares
Bytecoin
Counterparty
Ripple
NONE!
Bitcoin Bar

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gauging demand for next line(s) of physical coins - please vote!  (Read 1107 times)
FiniteByDesign (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1397
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2015, 01:19:38 PM

I would like to continue to expand f*D physical crypto lines and would like some feedback from the community on which crypto's you would like to see represented in the physical form. Please vote for to help me gauge community interest. Thanks!

bithalo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1017

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 01:45:52 PM

I'm assuming these will be similar to your DOGE, DARK, and ETHER coins regarding materials.

Hasn't DASH sort of been done with DARK?

Have you considered Ripple?  It appears to be #2 on coinmarketcap.   I'm not endorsing them, but just throwing it out there.

Co-author to the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  More details can be found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2767515.0
FiniteByDesign (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2015, 01:57:10 PM

I'm assuming these will be similar to your DOGE, DARK, and ETHER coins regarding materials.

Hasn't DASH sort of been done with DARK?

Have you considered Ripple?  It appears to be #2 on coinmarketcap.   I'm not endorsing them, but just throwing it out there.

Well DOGE are actually pure copper or nickel which is a bit more expensive to manufacture than the DRK and Ether which are copper/brass alloy that is plated. I am really pleased with the end result of each but the DRK and Ether construct allow for running smaller batches and being able to offer at a reasonable price point. The finished product is beautiful as well so I will be sticking with that construct for the next lines.

DASH has sort of been done with DRK, but I would like to offer this if the interest is there - I for one would love to have them in my personal collection.

I have considered Ripple and even Stellar but they are very polarizing within the community. I suppose all coins are though if you think about it. I do hope to make at least the top 10 if not 20 market cap coins in the future.

edit: added Ripple Smiley

miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 02:36:26 PM

Something a little different. A bitcoin bar. Casascius was the only one to make these, I'm sure you could up the game!

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
FiniteByDesign (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2015, 02:39:41 PM

Something a little different. A bitcoin bar. Casascius was the only one to make these, I'm sure you could up the game!

Ok, added to the poll. Thank you for the suggestion Smiley

bithalo
Legendary

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 02:40:36 PM

Technically, F*D made a bar with their Cryptogenic Bullion.  But perhaps a bar in a different form...more Casascius-looking in that its longer, and gold plated

Co-author to the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  More details can be found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2767515.0
ThEmporium

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 02:41:08 PM

I think we have enough physical coins for now.
bithalo
Legendary

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 02:43:31 PM

I think we have enough physical coins for now.

While I agree there's a lot of them out there, if someone doesn't want one, they don't have to buy it.   But for those like myself that collect, I welcome more.  As long as they sell, and have a fresh look and/or holo, makers should be welcome to continue making them.

miffman
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 03:26:58 PM

Technically, F*D made a bar with their Cryptogenic Bullion.  But perhaps a bar in a different form...more Casascius-looking in that its longer, and gold plated

Longer, bigger, heavier with a nice big bitcoin sign. Glit silver would be pretty nice I think.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1348

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 03:58:23 PM

If the price is right and the design appealing enough, I'd be interested in a Bitcoin bar.
FiniteByDesign (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2015, 04:08:55 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2015, 04:20:06 PM by FiniteByDesign

Dash, (I hate ripple) I do like the Drk but don't want to buy 10, hopefully the next series will have singles.

Thanks! FYI - There are some singles from DRK line available in this forum.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1041987.0

bithalo
Legendary

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 04:30:09 PM

Longer, bigger, heavier with a nice big bitcoin sign. Glit silver would be pretty nice I think.

+1

I would also go for that. 

ThEmporium

Activity: 196

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 05:04:54 PM

I'm thinking a bar would be something new, because like I said, I feel there is too many coins. Maybe a silver version and gold version. 1 oz silver, 1 gram, 5 gram, and 10 gram gold. That would be neat.

All of BTC though
fvs114

Activity: 170

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 05:13:36 PM

I would go for silver bar Wink
ezeminer
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1118

Lie down. Have a cookie

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 05:16:49 PM

Gold bars are pretty hard to trade around here. I know cryptoimperator was trying to get a 10 coin 1m doge gold coin funded. he has sold 6/10 so far.

FiniteByDesign (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2015, 06:07:43 PM

Gold bars are pretty hard to trade around here. I know cryptoimperator was trying to get a 10 coin 1m doge gold coin funded. he has sold 6/10 so far.

Yes, very few collectors in this space are interested in purchasing gold pieces so tough to justify that at this time. Silver has interest but people want to pay little over spot which is only doable via production of very large batches which a) require large capital and b) require market demand which is not currently there.

I am looking into a BTC bar option now but it would be copper/brass alloy that is plated in either gold or silver like the Ether and DRK pieces. Size would be 2" in diameter. This does not exactly match the described ideal that I have seen in this thread so far so please let me know if this is of interest or not. I will elaborate on price point as I work out more details but shouldn't be too much more than the Ether and DRK lines (will be a bit more due to larger size and shape).

miffman
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 06:19:28 PM

I am looking into a BTC bar option now but it would be copper/brass alloy that is plated in either gold or silver like the Ether and DRK pieces. Size would be 2" in diameter. This does not exactly match the described ideal that I have seen in this thread so far so please let me know if this is of interest or not. I will elaborate on price point as I work out more details but shouldn't be too much more than the Ether and DRK lines (will be a bit more due to larger size and shape).

Just my 2 bits. A gold plated copper alloy bar doesn't sound bad, but 2" is pretty small. A 6" by 1.5" sort of shape/size is good. thoughts?

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
bithalo
Legendary

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 06:51:13 PM

Just my 2 bits. A gold plated copper alloy bar doesn't sound bad, but 2" is pretty small. A 6" by 1.5" sort of shape/size is good. thoughts?

I think a Casascius bar was 80mm or a little over 3" in length.  Even these looked a little small.  I think 2" is way too small and too similar to the CGB bars made by F*D.  I'm fine with any material, but prefer a polished silver or gold, or gilt silver plate.  I'd like to keep the edition size to 100 or less to keep these limited.

FiniteByDesign (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2015, 07:56:29 PM

Not sure if you guys realize but running a small batch of 50 pure silver bars would be pretty expensive. The end price point for each would be around $250 for a 5 oz bar or $500 each for a 10 oz bar.

If this revelation didn't kill 99% of the interest in such a product I would be shocked - but this is why you do not see such a product in the market at this time. I am as always willing to do this but would have to go the preorder route as I would not be willing to devote this much capital into such a project - plus my wife would kill me lol.

miffman
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 08:13:12 PM

Not sure if you guys realize but running a small batch of 50 pure silver bars would be pretty expensive. The end price point for each would be around $250 for a 5 oz bar or $500 each for a 10 oz bar.

If this revelation didn't kill 99% of the interest in such a product I would be shocked - but this is why you do not see such a product in the market at this time. I am as always willing to do this but would have to go the preorder route as I would not be willing to devote this much capital into such a project - plus my wife would kill me lol.

Well Ognasty is selling 5oz silver rounds for 400$ each. At 250$ for a 5oz bar, that still sounds like a reasonable deal.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender