Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:51:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is a PoS  (Read 10001 times)
finnthecelt

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 05:43:17 PM

Well so far for me I've figured out how to start mining.

The security piece is another matter. It appears my account was hacked because of a mistake I made.

I know it was this morning and can see the payout transaction in my account and the wallet address it's going to however I'm confused about something.

Under the "Ledger" section it states....... "Every time a transaction is sent, some bitcoins are usually sent back to yourself at a new address"...

What does this mean? When I logged into my account (with slush) someone had changed my wallet address and the payment threshold. They also unchecked the box to have an email notification sent to me when a payout is made.

I notice in the ledger that the payment hasn't been made yet. I can see the block and the wallet address that someone put in my account.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Thx

the first thing you do is change your password.  then you put your own wallet address back into slush's information.

then change the payment threshold back to the way you'd like it, and re-check the e-mail notification box.

then go here:  www.dictionary.com

and look up the difference between "hacked", and stolen.

throwing words like 'hacked' around is not useful.  people like slush depend on all of us trusting their security - and they do a pretty damn fine job of it.  i'm almost sure that what you meant was you screwed up, and either gave your password to somebody you should not have trusted, or you wrote it down in the clear and somebody lifted it.  yes?

"...because of a mistake I made."

so really, your account wasn't hacked, was it?

Correct. I put it out in the clear not knowing it was visible so it was all my fault.

I see you take it quite personally when it comes to semantics. I will certainly be more careful with my verbage.

I don't see where you can change your password but it looks like you can change your username. I've since just created a new account with new user name and new password and used different usernames and passwords for my registered workers.

Thanks and didn't mean to offend.  Undecided

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cloud9

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:04:53 PM

3 steps for US:

- Get mybitcoin.com bitcoin address to send your bitcoins to and store it online or on your mobile phone
- Get dwolla.com account to fund
- Get mtgox.com account and fund with dwolla.com account and exchange for bitcoins, voilla!

jjVon

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:46:29 PM

I got in on the last 15 min of ebay auction, then had to go. I thought I would get a great deal, but it went for market value.  Oh well, I'll try again.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 07:14:21 PM

So, wait a minute.  I thought Paypal was blocking Bitcoin purchases?  It looks like there are Linden Dollars regularly for sale on E-Bay as well.  Why aren't more people selling Bitcoins on E-Bay?

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
hunk

Activity: 15

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 07:26:23 PM

So, wait a minute.  I thought Paypal was blocking Bitcoin purchases?  It looks like there are Linden Dollars regularly for sale on E-Bay as well.  Why aren't more people selling Bitcoins on E-Bay?

I think the main reason is the price...If you put up an auction,you don't know what the final price will be,and it might end up being less than the exchange rate...
If you put up a buy it now option,at the current exchange rate,the rate might go up and you'll end up selling your coin for less..If the price goes down,no one will want to buy from you..
Furthermore,those bitcoins have to come from somewhere..unless the seller is mining to get his bitcoins he will need to get them from MtGox or similar.And to do that he needs to pay fees which he will then have to pass on to the buyer on ebay...Thus making them cost more...And finally he might only have a certain amount of bitcoins that he might want to sell over a large period of time,to keep an eye on the rate...
That been said,I would love to see more bitcoins on ebay...
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2011, 07:30:53 PM

They blocked a site that bought and sold coins for PP and a guy who did a lot of transfers publicly. I don't think their policy is to hunt down individuals who trade bitcoins. And if you aren't advertising then it's hard to figure that out anyway. Well, except maybe statistically when the community is small.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 07:32:52 PM

Well, when you make an ebay auction, you are feeding the paypal/ebay monster. It's not very seller friendly. The buyer probably won't pay more than the current exchange rate, and you will receive much less than the current exchange rate because of paypal/ebay fees. I suppose it's marginally useful if you know how to protect yourself as a seller on ebay, but if you can do that, you are better off selling elsewhere.

The auctions are great for the buyer though, you can bid as much as you want, the seller eats the fees, and you get ebay bucks for your next purchase.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 10:57:32 PM

You can try linking your bank account to dwolla and deposit to mt gox from there. https://www.dwolla.com/default.aspx

Mt Gox also has a chase bank account and if you try Keefe on #bitcoin-otc he will also help you.

How do you deposit using this account?

I assume you send him an email.

Paxum is another easy way to get money into mt gox.

MtGox, not Keefe (unless they are the same person).

Seriously, I felt much like the guy who started this thread did initially. You need to treat his feedback respectfully as it will help you tailor your products better for the end user. IT guys are often rude because they can get away with it- demand for their services is greater than supply. Businessmen (you know, your bosses) don't have that luxury. The customer is always right.  The consumer is king in the free market.

When was the last time you showed up looking to buy a financial asset and said to those using it

"How do I buy this piece of shit?"

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2011, 01:40:43 AM

You can try linking your bank account to dwolla and deposit to mt gox from there. https://www.dwolla.com/default.aspx

Mt Gox also has a chase bank account and if you try Keefe on #bitcoin-otc he will also help you.

Seriously, I felt much like the guy who started this thread did initially. You need to treat his feedback respectfully as it will help you tailor your products better for the end user. IT guys are often rude because they can get away with it- demand for their services is greater than supply. Businessmen (you know, your bosses) don't have that luxury. The customer is always right.  The consumer is king in the free market.

When was the last time you showed up looking to buy a financial asset and said to those using it

The technology is great. it's the implementation that concerns us. You need to seriously grow up and quit getting your wittle feewings hurt.  Guys like this are our future.  They can make us wealthy if we learn to cooperate. 

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
Dhomochevsky

Activity: 242
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 01:41:34 AM

I am a person of higher-than-average intelligence and I am an IT professional.

No, you're not. Trust me, if you have to say it, you're not.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 01:45:23 AM

+1

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 01:45:52 AM

The technology is great. it's the implementation that concerns us. You need to seriously grow up and quit getting your wittle feewings hurt.  Guys like this are our future.  They can make us wealthy if we learn to cooperate. 

Guys like this doofus are definitely not "our future". He thinks he intelligent and IT savvy and got his "wittle feelings" handed to him on a plate, it sounds like ... has he posted again? he was probably just a troll anyway.

The implementation is at exactly the level you would expect for a beta open source project, your concern is touching. Put up or shut on that front is all I can say. File a bug report;

"The implementation concerns us"

we'll get back to you.

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2011, 02:03:32 AM

2 words
mtgox
dwolla

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 02:19:26 AM

2 words
mtgox
dwolla

I think it is probably better if we direct him towards nanaimo-gold for the full bitcoin customer experience.

tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 02:19:52 AM

I do not mean to be hateful in any way, but this system just stinks. I am totally on board with the idea that government-issued currency has got to go, and I hope Bitcoin does well.

I downloaded and installed the Bitcoin program. I then looked for a way to acquire Bitcoins.

I have spent over an hour just trying find a way to acquire Bitcoins and I have given up. I get it that the Bitcoin "first-tryers" are a knowledgeable and tech-savvy demographic, but you have made this thing too hard to figure out how to use!

I live in the United States. I have a bank account consisting of US Dollars. I want to get Bitcoins with my US Dollars. I am trying to exchange the world's most popular currency for a currency that's less than five years old, and I have yet to find any website out there that wants to make it easy for me.

I am a person of higher-than-average intelligence and I am an IT professional. I know how computers and the internet work. And, I sympathize with the goal of abolishing government money. If I cannot figure out how this system is supposed to work, then I have to wonder how many other people out there are not willing (or able) to get into the world of Bitcoins. If you're going to try to get people to accept something new (like the Bitcoin) you have to make it easy to use! I appreciate all of the hard work that has gone into setting Bitcoin up, but you have to make it digestible to the common person.

If I wanna go buy something on newegg.com, for example, I just go to the checkout, enter my debit card number and that's it! I don't have to do research in order to find out how to buy a flipping USB cable.

If anyone can address my concerns now that would be great, but otherwise, I'll come back in about 6 or 7 years, when someone has figured out a way to make getting Bitcoins easy.

If you want some Bitcoins, go buy a MoneyPak, I will sell you some.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2011, 03:30:51 AM

I love people who say they are "IT Professionals". Like plugging in an ethernet cable is as hard as programming.

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2011, 03:38:05 AM

The implementation is at exactly the level you would expect for a beta open source project, your concern is touching. Put up or shut on that front is all I can say. File a bug report;

That's what he did, numbnuts- just not in the form you wanted. Bug reports come in all colors, shapes and sizes.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 03:40:17 AM

nice one!

-
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 05:16:22 AM

Well so far for me I've figured out how to start mining.

The security piece is another matter. It appears my account was hacked because of a mistake I made.

I know it was this morning and can see the payout transaction in my account and the wallet address it's going to however I'm confused about something.

Under the "Ledger" section it states....... "Every time a transaction is sent, some bitcoins are usually sent back to yourself at a new address"...

What does this mean? When I logged into my account (with slush) someone had changed my wallet address and the payment threshold. They also unchecked the box to have an email notification sent to me when a payout is made.

I notice in the ledger that the payment hasn't been made yet. I can see the block and the wallet address that someone put in my account.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Thx

the first thing you do is change your password.  then you put your own wallet address back into slush's information.

then change the payment threshold back to the way you'd like it, and re-check the e-mail notification box.

then go here:  www.dictionary.com

and look up the difference between "hacked", and stolen.

throwing words like 'hacked' around is not useful.  people like slush depend on all of us trusting their security - and they do a pretty damn fine job of it.  i'm almost sure that what you meant was you screwed up, and either gave your password to somebody you should not have trusted, or you wrote it down in the clear and somebody lifted it.  yes?

"...because of a mistake I made."

so really, your account wasn't hacked, was it?

Correct. I put it out in the clear not knowing it was visible so it was all my fault.

I see you take it quite personally when it comes to semantics. I will certainly be more careful with my verbage.

I don't see where you can change your password but it looks like you can change your username. I've since just created a new account with new user name and new password and used different usernames and passwords for my registered workers.

Thanks and didn't mean to offend.  Undecided

no offense taken.  i have concern for the image of the major players in this project.  they're important to all of us.
cvramen (OP)

Activity: 4

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 04:28:17 AM
Last edit: June 12, 2011, 04:43:54 AM by cvramen

I am a person of higher-than-average intelligence and I am an IT professional. I know how computers and the internet work.
And yet you didn't think to Google for your answer.
Ahem...
I have spent over an hour just trying find a way to acquire Bitcoins and I have given up
This "over an hour" also includes searches on google Tongue
-------------------

I am a person of higher-than-average intelligence

I bet everyone thinks that of themselves.  Roll Eyes
LOL

I am a person of higher-than-average intelligence

I bet everyone thinks that of themselves.  Roll Eyes

Depends on the view of intelligence, and in my book, intelligence is definitely not about being above, better than others in any way- quite the opposite, and even less about saying it loud.
Yeah, well there's this thing called an IQ test....

I knew before I posted, that some people were gonna come up with some unsympathetic posts or otherwise say some not constructive things. I think the point of saying "person of higher than average intelligence" was to emphasize the problem here. I did not come to show off or anything like that (why do *I* care what a bunch of people I don't know on some internet forum think about me?). The point I was trying to make was...

1. I know how to download a program and install it on my computer
2. I have sufficient wealth in order to be willing to take the risk of investing some of it in a new currency.
3. I sympathize with the goal of abolishing government-issued currency.

There are so many people out there that have do not even fall into *one* of the above categories. In order to get this bitcoin thing off the ground they gotta get people to want to participate. Eventually, they have to make this thing useable for a wide variety of people. I LIKE Bitcoin. I WANT Bitcoin to work.

Sorry if my original post did not make sense, but I don't know what to do other than to go to the Bitcoin forum and bring up the fact there is (or at least, there appears to be) a problem. Just remember, we want Bitcoin to succeed, and therefore, we are all on the same side. Grin
--------

I downloaded and installed the Bitcoin program. I then looked for a way to acquire Bitcoins.

Bitcoins aren't acquired, they are earned.

How do you earn them?
1. Mine. (Boring.)
2. Sell something useful to someone for bitcoin.
3. Exchange. (mtgox.com et al.)

Just because the internet is all about instant gratification, doen't mean bitcoin is. Unfortunately for we humans we need to earn money by participating in an economy, just is in real life.
(Dont know about you, but when I was born, some stranger didn't just walk up and hand me a fiver, it took a while.)
Well same is true for me. I'm 24 and I've been employed for the past 7 years. I've been working at jobs where I've earned money (in the form of US Dollars)  I'm just trying to exchange some of them. And yes, I know that currency exchange is a service, and that whatever the exchange fees are, I'm willing to pay. The exchanger is doing something for somebody and deserves to be compensated. I certainly *do* want to engage in exchanges that benefit both sides and the people who do business with me should earn something for whatever they're doing for me.

As a matter of fact, I just bought some Shire Silver a few days ago. I gave the company some US Dollars, and they gave me gold and silver that fits in my wallet. The amount of US Dollars I gave them was more than the actual US Dollar value of gold and silver, because I'm paying not only for the gold/silver, but the service of cutting and packaging the gold/silver into a specific form, shipping it to me, and any other costs associated with that business.
-----------

I am an unemployed person of lower than average intelligence.
I managed to buy bitcoins after 20ms research.
Good to know you're having a better first experience than me.

IF the world ran on bitcoin, exchanges would be faster than ever before. No waiting for funds to be deposited into your bank account, then to your online account, then to pay someone else. No overdrafts, no fees. If I was paid with bitcoins I could send money overseas to family in need within minutes of receiving my paycheck, without having to wait for a bank transfer or an outrageous Western Union fee. You know the advantages...

Furthermore if bitcoin does come to reach further popularity, and some of your family/friends/neighbors had bitcoins, well you could just trade with them. Once we reach that level, exchange won't be a problem. If I could simply step into Walmart and hand them some cash for bitcoins, things would be easy. It's still a long path to get there, though, and the ones who are willing to go through the murky grounds now will reap the benefits later.
That is reassuring. Smiley I wanna make that world happen. Grin

Darnit, I got excited for a moment. I thought someone created a Point of Sale terminal for Bitcoin.
Ya know, after I created this thread, I was afraid someone would think I was posting something like that Cheesy
---------

For those of you who made some constructive posts, thank you. And thank you to those who posted advice on what to do. I *did* go to the "official" FAQ page and looked at Mt Gox prior to posting this thread. I guess I'll try it again. And I'll take a look at some of the other websites people recommended.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: