Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:01:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirate wants to settle with individuals for less. Don't let him do it.  (Read 4543 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 03:47:22 PM

You could argue the accounts were automatically closed when he defaulted. If he pays 100% up until the default that would be hard to call Matthews bet lost.

Well you can argue anything doesn't mean it is logical.  Try this.  Call your bank up and tell them you want to close your mortgage.  You will pay it off eventually but since it is closed you want the interest reduced to zero. 

The idea that someone can borrow money at x% then not repay it upon demand and then choose to pay a different interest (or none) doesn't even pass the chuckle test.

Pirate has default and will never pay according to the terms of his contract.  Matt simply can not win the bet.  The only thing which is unknown is will he payout or not (I bet not).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 03:49:30 PM

I don't think PPT operators are even considering such a thing. What we're seeing though is outright -blockage- of client information. Chaang Noi is refusing to allow his own clients to contact Pirate even if they -want- to.

Proof?  Also how exactly would Goat BLOCK other people from contacting Pirate even if Goat wanted to.  Does he have complete control over the internet and all other methods of communication?
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 03:53:55 PM

You could argue the accounts were automatically closed when he defaulted. If he pays 100% up until the default that would be hard to call Matthews bet lost.

Well you can argue anything doesn't mean it is logical.  Try this.  Call your bank up and tell them you want to close your mortgage.  You will pay it off eventually but since it is closed you want the interest reduced to zero.  

The idea that someone can borrow money at x% then not repay it upon demand and then choose to pay a different interest (or none) doesn't even pass the chuckle test.

Pirate has default and will never pay according to the terms of his contract.  Matt simply can not win the bet.  The only thing which is unknown is will he payout or not (I bet not).
I'm not sure which side to take here, but maybe this will help clarify the issue: Matthew offered his bet after Pirate had already defaulted. Only an additional, subsequent default can cause Matthew to lose his bet. If the loss of additional interest was part of the original default, it cannot cause Matthew to lose his bet unless Pirate agreed to pay it back as part of the terms Matthew bet Pirate would stick to.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 06:41:07 PM

I don't think PPT operators are even considering such a thing. What we're seeing though is outright -blockage- of client information. Chaang Noi is refusing to allow his own clients to contact Pirate even if they -want- to.

Proof?  Also how exactly would Goat BLOCK other people from contacting Pirate even if Goat wanted to.  Does he have complete control over the internet and all other methods of communication?

Yes, yes I do!  Cool
The truth comes out... Goat is..... AL GORE!

(Damnit Bruno... where were you on that one?)

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
SysRun

Activity: 616

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 06:47:06 PM

Well you can argue anything doesn't mean it is logical.  Try this.  Call your bank up and tell them you want to close your mortgage.  You will pay it off eventually but since it is closed you want the interest reduced to zero.  

Pirate has default and will never pay according to the terms of his contract.  Matt simply can not win the bet.  The only thing which is unknown is will he payout or not (I bet not).
I'm not sure which side to take here, but maybe this will help clarify the issue: Matthew offered his bet after Pirate had already defaulted. Only an additional, subsequent default can cause Matthew to lose his bet. If the loss of additional interest was part of the original default, it cannot cause Matthew to lose his bet unless Pirate agreed to pay it back as part of the terms Matthew bet Pirate would stick to.

Matthew offered his bet before pirate contractually defaulted. He continued taking bets after the contractual default despite already losing the bet. Check into it.

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 06:50:15 PM

Matthew offered his bet before pirate contractually defaulted. He continued taking bets after the contractual default despite already losing the bet. Check into it.

Each bet is its own bet.  Perhaps they share the same terms, but they were all entered into separately.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
SysRun

Activity: 616

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 06:53:21 PM

... despite already losing the bets

are you checking into it?

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 01:45:15 AM

Pirate defaulted as soon as he didn't process a withdrawal on time. Matthew's bet was offered in response to Pirate's response to his failure to pay. Any defaults prior to or implied by Pirate's agreement wouldn't cause Matthew to lose the bet.

"Post in this thread how much you're committing and I will double that amount you commit (maximum of 10,000BTC in bets allowed in this thread total) if Pirate does not pay out in 3 weeks as he described in his thread."

I can't quite figure out which thread that's referring to. Anyone have a link?

This will probably all become academic anyway once Matthew's deadline passes. I have a feeling we won't need to do any lawyerly parsing of ambiguous terms to figure out who won.

P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 07:21:00 AM

Joel, he was referring pirate BTCST thread here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50822.0

When will I get my coins?
Starting Monday I’ll begin systematically closing and withdrawing accounts as coins are transferred.  I don't expect the entire process to last longer than a week. The moment your account is closed you’ll receive your coins plus any interest accrued up to the hour it was sent.

Since then, and since Matthew posted his bet thread, Pirate announced interest will no longer accrue. There is no way Matthew can win his bet.

JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 07:26:36 AM

Joel, he was referring pirate BTCST thread here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50822.0

When will I get my coins?
Starting Monday I’ll begin systematically closing and withdrawing accounts as coins are transferred.  I don't expect the entire process to last longer than a week. The moment your account is closed you’ll receive your coins plus any interest accrued up to the hour it was sent.

Since then, and since Matthew posted his bet thread, Pirate announced interest will no longer accrue. There is no way Matthew can win his bet.
Thanks for the link. I think you're right.

This is what Pirate said that preceded Matthew's bet:

"Starting Monday I’ll begin systematically closing and withdrawing accounts as coins are transferred.  I don't expect the entire process to last longer than a week. The moment your account is closed you’ll receive your coins plus any interest accrued up to the hour it was sent."

So if he is to pay "as agreed" above, for anyone who doesn't agree to any other terms in place of those above, he must pay all coins plus interest earned up until the hour he makes payment. There is no mention there of any additional terms or conditions, so any such additional conditions would not be "as agreed" unless people choose to accept them.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2012, 07:27:10 AM

Well you can argue anything doesn't mean it is logical.  Try this.  Call your bank up and tell them you want to close your mortgage.  You will pay it off eventually but since it is closed you want the interest reduced to zero. 

Pirate has default and will never pay according to the terms of his contract.  Matt simply can not win the bet.  The only thing which is unknown is will he payout or not (I bet not).

Pirate said he is in default. Matthew can win the bet if pirate's statement is false and he does pay all his lenders with interest up to the hour it was sent on or before September 9th.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 02:53:25 PM

PPT issuers do not know who their bond holders are in GLBSE.
If I recall, PPT or any other security issuer can not get that information from GLBE even if they wanted to, unless Nefario has made some changes to GLBSE and made this information available.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: