Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 08:30:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It's Happening .... The secrets of 21 inc revealed, and its what we hoped for.  (Read 11620 times)
BitUsher (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

I wonder how many TH/s it takes to toast bread in 2 minutes  Wink . The idea is good but there aren't enough everyday items we use just for the heat, I can't think of too many.

Yes, but all it takes is one or two products. Personally I think most of the products in the article are non starters including the toaster for ASIC's and the journalists were deliberately misled so they didn't leak the real products which could be competitive in the market.

I can think of a few products that have a chance of working: electric space heaters, coffee/tea warmers, and  hot water heaters are a few examples.

That, you do not know.

You have no idea what are the plans of 21 inc.
maybe they will set up their own pool where these new "miners" will mine.

Agreed. Many scenarios could play out with further competition into appliance creating multiple new pools competing with older pools. A 21 Inc pool, a Samsung pool, a GE mining pool , ect...

... or if our hand is forced we may have to reverse enineer one of their products and create our own crowdfunded ASIC appliances that communicate with p2p pools. Wink

Well, why not hack their appliances (which will be our property since bought) and have them point to any pool that we want?

^^^ That.
What is stopping us from doing that?

Proper design can make chips very difficult to reverse engineer or hack. I am sure they are considering these implications.
BitUsher (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 03:30:20 PM

Yes but is it worth the extra money and time to engineer such blocks when only maybe 2% of the people they give free coffee warmers to even care or know what they're doing?

Yes, because all it takes is a few individuals or one company that offers to buy the free coffee warmer for 10 dollars and to hack and than mine 100% themselves.

Example - It is well known that many console manufacturers subsidize or sell at cost the hardware in hope of recouping profits off the games. When playstation 3 was first released it came with OtherOS which allowed linux to be installed. Hobbyists were buying up consoles in order to get much cheaper hardware and make linux rigs with decent specs. Sony later removed OtherOS support to prevent this from happening and before a few of the hobbyists started a company reselling playstations as cheaper linux desktops.  
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2015, 03:34:19 PM

my favorite lines from that register article:

I've written more than a few business plans in my time and if I'd come up with this one I wouldn't be able to stop giggling long enough to present it. Nor, in fact, stop hugging myself for long enough to type it out. Obviously these people are made of sterner stuff.

Inquiring minds will be able to work out that of course this plan, by definition, loses money for consumers. So the big bet underneath it all is are the general public actually stupid enough to go for it? Here's a free toaster, some bitcoin, and please don't check your electricity meter?

Hmm, toughie really but I'd say probably yes. After all, as the phrase goes, no one has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the American public. By overestimating it, yes, but not under. ®

Re: decentralization, yes and no. ASIC chips will be out in the wild, so sure perhaps. But this doesn't increase full nodes or fix the centralized pooling problem.

And I don't think the idea is to use the waste heat for the appliances purpose. Its just to have an ASIC in there, along with whatever the appliances function is. So your TV? now its burning electricity constantly.

IMO, the waste heat option IS the way to go, and this concept has been presented before, with "data furnaces" etc as someone above probably pointed out.

What 21 Inc is doing, IMO, is just a brilliant scam.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 03:36:04 PM

Anybody that has the knowledge to hack this device has the knowledge to also know that even at 100% income there still losing money after electricity cost.  I don't see this as a issue.  I'm smart enough to know I'm going to buy a $20 toaster rather then a $10 asic toaster that raises my electric bill a few bucks a month.  These products are for people that will never look into how mining works.
acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 04:00:52 PM

I've written more than a few business plans in my time and if I'd come up with this one I wouldn't be able to stop giggling long enough to present it. Nor, in fact, stop hugging myself for long enough to type it out. Obviously these people are made of sterner stuff.

Inquiring minds will be able to work out that of course this plan, by definition, loses money for consumers. So the big bet underneath it all is are the general public actually stupid enough to go for it? Here's a free toaster, some bitcoin, and please don't check your electricity meter?

Hmm, toughie really but I'd say probably yes. After all, as the phrase goes, no one has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the American public. By overestimating it, yes, but not under. ®

Re: decentralization, yes and no. ASIC chips will be out in the wild, so sure perhaps. But this doesn't increase full nodes or fix the centralized pooling problem.

And I don't think the idea is to use the waste heat for the appliances purpose. Its just to have an ASIC in there, along with whatever the appliances function is. So your TV? now its burning electricity constantly.

IMO, the waste heat option IS the way to go, and this concept has been presented before, with "data furnaces" etc as someone above probably pointed out.

Yes, I also agree with you.
Sounds really bad to me.
louise123

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 04:08:03 PM

Sounds really bad to me.

I will agree with that also.
Besides, once the people get informed, I doubt they will go for it.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
             ▄███▌ █
            ▀▀▀██▄  █
          ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
         █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
        ▄██ ███▄    █
       ▐███▀   ▀█   █
       ████     █   █
      ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
      ▀▄▄███▌      █
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
              █  ▄▀
              ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
 ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
  ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄ ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
   ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
  ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
    ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
    ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████ ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
    █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
    ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                               ▄█████
                                                                           ▄███████▀
                                                                           ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
 LIGHTPAPER
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
louise123

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 05:03:49 PM

Sounds really bad to me.

I disagree if you're able to buy a TV with the same specs of another for 20 -30% cheaper because it's running an asic are you really going to care? Even though there might be a few dollar difference in electric use?

Yes, if I know about the extra charges, and let's not forget the potential dangers, then I wont.
I would rather pay that little extra and know that I can sleep more peaceful.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
             ▄███▌ █
            ▀▀▀██▄  █
          ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
         █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
        ▄██ ███▄    █
       ▐███▀   ▀█   █
       ████     █   █
      ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
      ▀▄▄███▌      █
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
              █  ▄▀
              ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
 ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
  ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄ ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
   ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
  ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
    ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
    ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████ ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
    █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
    ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                               ▄█████
                                                                           ▄███████▀
                                                                           ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
 LIGHTPAPER
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 05:22:29 PM

So The Register writes an article about an article from the Financial Times.

One of the opening lines from the FT is "All we do know is that the company, headed by Matthew Pauker, has raised more than $116m worth of venture funding"

There are no facts, no quotes from anyone from 21 or anyone who has a bleeding clue.

Their guesswork sounds like a pretty dumb idea. It's worth calling it a dumb idea if the people they're guessing about actually confirm it.
Kaneki

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 05:23:07 PM

Sounds really bad to me.

I disagree if you're able to buy a TV with the same specs of another for 20 -30% cheaper because it's running an asic are you really going to care? Even though there might be a few dollar difference in electric use?

Yes, if I know about the extra charges, and let's not forget the potential dangers, then I wont.
I would rather pay that little extra and know that I can sleep more peaceful.

if this stupid idea to materialize, it has the potential to worsen the reputation of Bitcoin in people's
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 06:07:50 PM

i see too many assumptions in this thread. Or maybe you guys know something I don't.

1. Are the applicances going to make use of the heat generated by the ASIC, or, are they just bundling an ASIC with a random appliance?

2. Can you turn it off whenever you want?

It seems that people automatically assume that you can't turn it off or something. Which, in a sense is obviously not true since you can just unplug it. But assuming it's something that shouldn't be unplugged often like, I dunno, lights or something, you guys are assuming that it'll run forever costing you electricity.

If you can just turn it off whenever you want, then it's not really costing you electricity, since you would've spent that electricity anyway. Unless, of course, the ASIC uses additional electricity than what the appliance otherwise would use.

Anyway, too many assumptions, too many unknowns.
louise123

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 06:10:01 PM

i see too many assumptions in this thread. Or maybe you guys know something I don't.

1. Are the applicances going to make use of the heat generated by the ASIC, or, are they just bundling an ASIC with a random appliance?

2. Can you turn it off whenever you want?

It seems that people automatically assume that you can't turn it off or something. Which, in a sense is obviously not true since you can just unplug it. But assuming it's something that shouldn't be unplugged often like, I dunno, lights or something, you guys are assuming that it'll run forever costing you electricity.

If you can just turn it off whenever you want, then it's not really costing you electricity, since you would've spent that electricity anyway. Unless, of course, the ASIC uses additional electricity than what the appliance otherwise would use.

Anyway, too many assumptions, too many unknowns.

Well, I suppose you can say that we are speculating based on what we know so far.
Then again, only time will tell what this thing truly is.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
             ▄███▌ █
            ▀▀▀██▄  █
          ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
         █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
        ▄██ ███▄    █
       ▐███▀   ▀█   █
       ████     █   █
      ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
      ▀▄▄███▌      █
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
              █  ▄▀
              ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
 ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
                                                                               ▄█████
                                                                           ▄███████▀
                                                                           ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
 LIGHTPAPER
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 07:08:27 PM

How do they marketing this toaster ?  I have never used any toaster since 10 years ago  Grin

There is a great potential in heating devices at least 2000W or more, but that will raise the difficulty in winter and drop it in summer  Cool

TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 07:21:55 PM

There is a great potential in heating devices at least 2000W or more, but that will raise the difficulty in winter and drop it in summer  Cool
I think you'll find there's miners in South America, Africa, Australia and New Zealand, too Smiley  Not sure about Antarctica.  Could be a nice PR stunt for Bitmain though Wink

ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:53:19 PM

Hard to see how this idea will work for them. It really only makes sense for devices that we _want_ to produce heat (toasters, water heaters, space heaters, hair dryers, etc.) Getting a cheap TV that spews out excess heat during the summer months, driving up AC costs, would be silly.

Now for heat producing appliances, how many are used a high percentage of the time? In my household of six I doubt we average even 3 minutes/day using the toaster since we don't use it that often. Hard to believe that any ASICs packed into it will ever ROI if they are barely ever on (and network difficulty keeps going up).

So that leaves things like space heaters and water heaters. I guess I could conceivably see those making sense, if they can convince the consumer to go through the hassle of setting up the wireless connections or whatever that will be required to run them. I suspect when real world trials start they are going to be _very_ disappointed by the hashrate they get from their big giveaways.

It was a fascinating idea though....

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
SpanishSoldier

Merit: 255

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:56:20 PM

It was a fascinating idea though....

....and the idea has got sold to raise anough money for them. The question is... will we see an execution or see the same fate as of ethereum ? If they come to public to raise more money without the product then I'd doubt their intention.
NattyLiteCoin

Activity: 912
Merit: 1021

If you don’t believe, why are you here?

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:59:52 PM

I don't know why everyone's hung up heating shit is even in the discussion. I doubt the intent is to integrate a 2Th/s miner in a fuckin' toaster, moreso a collection of 20GH/s devices in multiple appliances in households across the world. Imagine living in a world where literally every one of your neighbors and friends is contributing to the security of the BTC network and not even thinking about it.

I'm for this.  I really hope this happens.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
  25X FASTER THAN BITCOIN, LIGHTNING NETWORK & ATOMIC SWAPS  
  TWITTER          TELEGRAM          REDDIT          DISCORD          MEDIUM          LINKEDIN  
          ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 09:00:24 PM

There is a great potential in heating devices at least 2000W or more, but that will raise the difficulty in winter and drop it in summer  Cool
I think you'll find there's miners in South America, Africa, Australia and New Zealand, too Smiley  Not sure about Antarctica.  Could be a nice PR stunt for Bitmain though Wink

I don't think Antarctica has cheap electricity, though.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 09:13:45 PM

What about getting that free TV, or whatever, then rip out the ASIC?

If they gave out free laptops, I'd totally get one.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 09:17:22 PM

Is there any proof that any of this is true? I can't find a shred of it.
TheRealSteve

FUN > ROI

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 09:27:17 PM

Is there any proof that any of this is true? I can't find a shred of it.
Nope.
Then again, this is all still based on an FT blog entry and not hard data.  I'll wait for the Chinese interview to get published.

It was actually discussed before - but I guess this thread gained better traction Smiley  Gotta use clickbaity titles.. "You Won't Believe What 21 Inc. Are Planning For Bitcoin!" Wink

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: