Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:17:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Project: custom 19in rack passive cooling system  (Read 14409 times)
JinTu (OP)

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 09:27:20 AM

I made a bit more progress porting aerotools to the Aquaero 5 over the past week and thus far can read the temperature sensors and fan stats (RPM, duty cycle, VRM temperature and current). I haven't yet figured out how to get to the device names or some of the other sensor stats (that I don't yet have myself).

If there are any Aquaero 5 owners out there who are interested in a Linux utility like aerotools, check out this thread, and hit me up on the overclock.net forums, I could use your help.

Here are a few pics of the radiator modules attached to be rack in better lighting:

And here is a closeup of the Aquaero 5XT controller. The face plate plastic cover is removed and there is a fan installed further back on the shelf:
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JinTu (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 06:53:42 PM
Last edit: December 27, 2012, 07:41:01 PM by JinTu

I'm still chugging along on this, but have been putting my available time into coding. My latest efforts have been put into enhancements to aerotools-ng (for the Aquaero 5) which I discovered this past weekend. The original aerotools (for the Aquaero 4) author lynix created this new project on github last month, but hadn't made any updates since the initial commit yet. I sent the first pull request from my development fork a few days ago, but haven't heard back yet likely due to the holiday.

I ordered the next batch of Aquacomputer parts (tubemeter, PowerAdjust 2, flow meter) which should be in hand some time next week and should help shed some more light on the remaining unknown areas of the Aquaero 5's 659 byte payload. I'm still looking for Aquaero 5 owners running Linux that can help do some testing. Just PM me here, or on the Overclock.net forums.

Edit: lynix merged in my changes earlier this morning.
JinTu (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 02:18:55 AM

Thanks to the time off I was able to get a lot done on aerotools-ng over the holiday, and put in another pull request for the following enhancements:
  • Added support for up to 14 flow sensors.
  • Added support for 8 CPU temperatures
  • Added support for current time, uptime and total time
  • Fixed issue with fan VRM current was being read from the previous fan, and fan 1 never changed

I also did some playing with HID and udev code on Linux and was able to get the report descriptor and all the feature and input reports. Thus far I haven't deciphered most of the other reports, but I have some theories.

My next set of parts came in this week

I started putting things together, but noticed one of the screws for the PowerAdjust2 5.25" bay mount had no threads on it. Come on Aquacomputer... I was able to get the screw installed, but only after tapping it myself.

The assembled 3 PA2s

Cabling everything up

Preparing for testing

After installing the tubemeter, I was able to find the offset in the Aquaero 5's HID input 1 report, and checked the changes to support it into my devel branch on github.
JinTu (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 10:29:29 PM

I know, it's not specifically related to the rack cooling project, but after begging the wife for years for a drill press, I was finally able to get one  Grin

I have spent the last couple weeks building and calibrating the drill press but should be able to get back to building the rack shortly. This will help to make short work of any further drilling or milling needed.

Next up for the 19" rack project is:
  • Remove all the modules from the rack
  • Install the upper perf side panels to both sides and checking the measurements
  • Measure, cut and install the lower perf side panels
  • Remove all the segments from modules
  • Mill out additional slop for some of the countersink holes on the mounts (some are too close to fit with the insulator in place or would allow the screw to touch the side)
  • Expand the ID of the remaining radiator-facing insulating washers
  • Cut and drill the pump mounts
  • Test fit all the pumps on the pump mounts
  • Finish and clean the mounts
  • Re-assemble everything with the washers+insulators in place and confirm the radiator segments are electrically isolated
  • Leak check the modules
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 01:23:51 AM

Nice press.  I have one from harbor freight now for a few years and it still works great.  Smiley

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
JinTu (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 02:08:54 AM

Nice press.  I have one from harbor freight now for a few years and it still works great.  Smiley

I had a few of the typical Harbor Freight tool issues (excessive packing oil, belts on backward, set screws needed to be re-tightened) but so far like the fit finish and capabilities of the press.

It's working pretty well, but I'm still having an issue with excessive runout (bit vibration) on mine that I'm still working to correct. The belts, main drive pulley, spindle, arbor and the external portion of the chuck all appear to be ok, but bits seem to be moving more than I would like. I have an indicator and magnetic base arriving next week that should help to isolate the issue. I'm hoping a little gentle encouragement will help get it into alignment but haven't ruled out the possibility of replacing the stock chuck with a Jacobs super chuck...
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: