Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:40:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Who will ship their ASIC products first?  (Voting closed: November 03, 2012, 01:17:48 AM)
BTCfpga's bASIC - 44 (29.9%)
BFL' SC product line. - 79 (53.7%)
OpenBitASIC - 6 (4.1%)
Other? - 18 (12.2%)
Total Voters: 147

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Whose ASIC will ship first?  (Read 4012 times)
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 04:51:54 PM

Seems to be a hint to availability/function
BFGMiner is the one that works best so far, but I'm sure CGMiner will work just as well when the code is added.
From BFL_Josh

Good find, thanks for posting that.

Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
quasarbtc

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 05:28:07 AM

Has anyone seen any information on initial shipment quantities? Or how any of these companies will decide initial shipment sizes?
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:17:06 PM

whichever company has produced the asic first would be stupid not to wait with shipping until another company has finished it's asic.
mining in the meantime will make a fortune...
So company A creates ASICs, and starts mining on them. The difficulty triples (at least), and the entire network hates them. Company B comes out with an ASIC, and starts shipping, so Company A stops mining, and starts shipping?

I can guarantee you, no one would ever buy from Company A again, and there would be many returns.

Agreed. It's one thing to test out the hardware a bit here and there to make sure it meets specs, but if it turns out Company A was mining on the hardware to make some quick cash I'd be super pissed...mainly because they're now selling me a used product.

Even "testing ASICs a bit here and there" on the main net when product is not available to customers hurts existing GPU and FPGA miners - it directly takes away their profits under the pretense of "testing". There is testnet-in-a-box available, and any manufacturer testing on the main net is simply dishonest: it's not about testing, it's about taking away profits from miners.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: