Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 02:26:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: In your opinion, which military rifle is the very best?
AK-47 - 30 (45.5%)
M-14 - 4 (6.1%)
M-16, M-4 or variant - 17 (25.8%)
SKS - 3 (4.5%)
FN-FAL - 0 (0%)
M-1 Garand (30-06) - 2 (3%)
HK G3 - 3 (4.5%)
Sg 550 - 1 (1.5%)
Galil - 1 (1.5%)
1886 Winchester - 1 (1.5%)
Mosin Nagant - 4 (6.1%)
AK-74 - 0 (0%)
M1918 BAR - 0 (0%)
HK G36 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 65

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which is the BEST military rifle?  (Read 13430 times)
bitcoinbear (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:02:16 PM

This is why Travon Martin is facing felony charges in Florida, because that ongoing threat is under question.  If you shoot the guy in the back, it all but implies that he was running away, thus no further threat exists.

I tought Travon Martin was dead?  You must mean Zimmerman is being charged.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:25:18 PM

This is why Travon Martin is facing felony charges in Florida, because that ongoing threat is under question.  If you shoot the guy in the back, it all but implies that he was running away, thus no further threat exists.

I tought Travon Martin was dead?  You must mean Zimmerman is being charged.

Yeah, that's it.

I'm old, just accept it.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
bitcoinbear (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:30:43 PM

To be honest, I am now convinced to purchase a .22 handgun, Should i ever buy a handgun (i live in canada its kinda hard to legaly carry a handgun)
I just NEVER even Thought about it! I always had the "i dont want to fucking kill a guy who stole my wallet, I want to Stop him, So im gonna aim for the leg"
Well, Thats kinda hard... Swap to a less lethal bullet, And i should beable to hit the guy in the stomach or back without lethal consequences.

A 22lr can be lethal if you hit the right spot. There is a thread around here somehwere about a 92 year old man who killed an intruder in his house. He used a 22lr rifle. The guy apparently got a couple blocks away before dying, 22lr definately won't knock somebody down and keep them down like a bigger round, but you can still kill people with it.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:47:57 PM

>AK-47 or AK-74
Reliable, never has to be cleaned, can't hit shit. But still a great SHTF rifle.

>M-14
You mean M1A? Have fun getting your hands on an actual M14.

>M-16, M-4 or variant
Would you like some toast with that jam? Only fudds seriously use the AR-15 platform. Enjoy your barbie doll gun.

>SKS
See Kalashnikov's above.

>FN-FAL
Solid, dependable, and a fantastic choice. Great for SHTF.

>M-1 Garand
Why, when you can get an FAL?

>HK G3
Exactly like the FAL, expect costs more and will eat your brass.   

>Mosin Nagant
If you need to arm five men, and only have $400, this is your rifle! This is the oldest rifle that is still used in combat today. It has a longer service history then any other rifle in the world. It's caliber, 7.62x54r, also has the longest service history as a caliber. Whoops, you missed the enemy? No problem! The shockwave from the bullet passing him knocked him clean out by shattering every bone in his body. Need to clear a room? Might I suggest an Obrez (sawed off Nagant)? Simply stick the muzzle in the room then fire. The muzzle flash produces a glorious russian fire that is thought to be that of a legendary dragon. It will clear out the entire room in one blast. This has been proven to work better then conventional flame throwers. Fact!

>tl;dr
Get a Nagant.

inb4 fudds get butthurt.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 06:05:16 PM

To be honest, I am now convinced to purchase a .22 handgun, Should i ever buy a handgun (i live in canada its kinda hard to legaly carry a handgun)
I just NEVER even Thought about it! I always had the "i dont want to fucking kill a guy who stole my wallet, I want to Stop him, So im gonna aim for the leg"
Well, Thats kinda hard... Swap to a less lethal bullet, And i should beable to hit the guy in the stomach or back without lethal consequences.

A 22lr can be lethal if you hit the right spot. There is a thread around here somehwere about a 92 year old man who killed an intruder in his house. He used a 22lr rifle. The guy apparently got a couple blocks away before dying, 22lr definately won't knock somebody down and keep them down like a bigger round, but you can still kill people with it.

Put five of them in a man in under 3 seconds, and he is as likely to drop as with a 45 to the gut.  Might even still cost less.  In the past, I've thought about the idea of a PDW that uses three 22lr barrels arranged in an equalateral triangle, wherein each of the three fires one round simulaniously.  I imagine, though I can't know because I've never actually tried it, the perfect shot group pattern of impact would create a prettly large trauma zone.  I can't know if the ATF would consider it a machine gun or not.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

mufa23
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 06:28:13 PM

...22lr definately won't knock somebody down and keep them down like a bigger round...
I'm going to guess you've never heard of the attempted Reagan assassination...

In the past, I've thought about the idea of a PDW that uses three 22lr barrels arranged in an equalateral triangle, wherein each of the three fires one round simulaniously.  I imagine, though I can't know because I've never actually tried it, the perfect shot group pattern of impact would create a prettly large trauma zone.
You know about Beehives, right?

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 06:32:47 PM

...22lr definately won't knock somebody down and keep them down like a bigger round...
I'm going to guess you've never heard of the attempted Reagan assassination...

In the past, I've thought about the idea of a PDW that uses three 22lr barrels arranged in an equalateral triangle, wherein each of the three fires one round simulaniously.  I imagine, though I can't know because I've never actually tried it, the perfect shot group pattern of impact would create a prettly large trauma zone.
You know about Beehives, right?

Holy Crap!  I do now!  A shotgun shell would work as well, but do these things come as a shotgun shell?

swissmate

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 06:34:01 PM

Although a bullpup rifle is horrible in form, I must say that a reliable bullpup gun would be the way to go for me.

You can have a relatively small sized gun with a long barrel, and when design is right made, it won't be that bad to reload the gun.

Some models of bullpup are a real pain in the ass when reloading due to their bad design.

Also the standard sights from the most known bullpups are awful (at least for me) for example the one in the STEYR AUG and on the SA80.
mufa23
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 06:35:51 PM

Holy Crap!  I do now!  A shotgun shell would work as well, but do these things come as a shotgun shell?
Already tried looking, but couldn't find much. If it could, I'd imagine a max of 3 or 4 rounds could fit into a beehived 12ga shell.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 06:38:45 PM

Already tried looking, but couldn't find much. If it could, I'd imagine a max of 3 or 4 rounds could fit into a beehived 12ga shell.

Makes sense.  If you've got the shotgun, you've already got the multiple round impact issue resolved. 

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 02:36:06 PM

A thread ending order arrived over the weekend! Best mil spec rifle? Mine!  Cheesy

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
bitcoinbear (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 02:51:22 PM

A thread ending order arrived over the weekend! Best mil spec rifle? Mine!  Cheesy

Looks nice. What caliber is it?

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 03:15:38 PM

Looks nice. What caliber is it?
It's 5.56 or .223 and has the new 1 in 8 twist 5R barrel. I ordered it a few weeks ago and I was ready to wait two years for it. S&W is behind over 100k rifles/carbines. Somehow my dealer got to the front of the line.
This will be my build base, but I'm not going to junk it up with rail lights and can openers, etc.
I am interested in anyone who will trade your OD or foliage color magpul fixed sights for my black ones. same for a set of three ladder rail guards. I will eventually go with all colored furniture. 
SPECS BELOW:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786010_-1_757784_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
HDSolar

Activity: 386

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 03:55:41 PM

Ok, so here is my thoughts:

AK-47 is considered the best but keep in mind that is because it has been made for so long and sure it does not jam but its effective range is limited due to its relaxed design.  It is a stamped metal product that is cheap to make and easy to maintain because the engineering focused on reliability and easy of production.  This is the weapon to have if your in Europe, Asia, or Africa.

AR-4/15 is probably the next best choice because it is growing in use around the world and is very accurate.  Now as for jamming I will put it to you this way, if you are lazy and in a mud puddle waiting to shoot then yes you will have problems.  But if you maintain the weapon and try to avoid tossing it in the mud your weapon should work.  I have had both the standard issue and the custom solutions and yes the custom solution is better but both works when it counted.  Now people who don't monitor their weapon while in use tend to have issues and I just put that in the natural selection category of life.  The AR models are more popular in the US, Mexico and other South American countries.

So I would have both, I like my AR because I know it and I also like to reach out and touch someone but if I am in a mud puddle waiting on the enemy so I can see the whites of their eyes then AK all the way with a bayonet just to be safe.  Also since I am in the US I feel like finding parts and other things will be easier but AK are selling well here too so its a toss up in my mind which takes me back to distance.  Now if I was in Europe then AK just be safe I mean what didn't Russia make two for each person on the planet at this point or don't you get one with a bottle of vodka?  (By the way never understood why you would want the bayonet on the AR due to the weight but also if you need it you must be a bad shot or the s*#t really hit the fan.)

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
CJGoodings

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 04:06:24 PM

Depends at the task at hand, for jungle/Guerrilla warfare the ak47 would be your best bet. Its reliability is unmatched by none, (will not jam, very important in hostile environments) cheap & easy to make, excellent stopping power with rounds that ricochet. Also its ability for quick repair, due to its manufacturing.

For everything else, including conflicts that include long ranges and open spaces, the m-16 (or variants) would be your best bet. It does need to be maintained more often, and didn't exactly have the best of luck in history during vietnam with its first revision having jamming issues, but this day in age it has been refined over to become the perfect all-around type weapon, effective enough for most situations. Also to note is its light weight and abundance of ammunition of its type, and compatibility with a multitude of attachments.

As for older trustier weapons, the top of that list would include both the m-1 garand(.30 cal) & m-14(7.62x51 nato).
ladida

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 09:51:11 PM

my vote goes to the ak-47 too Smiley
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 01:47:54 AM

The AK, for all the reasons stated, is what you carry when you are zombie hunting, or don't want to stand out from the oppos.

If cost was no object, and I could drive to pick it up at the dealer in one of those Lambo jeeps... I would go with an HK416, with an M203 under-mounted, that way I can reach out and touch someone, or clear a room as needed.
HDSolar

Activity: 386

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 03:16:58 AM

The AK, for all the reasons stated, is what you carry when you are zombie hunting, or don't want to stand out from the oppos.

If cost was no object, and I could drive to pick it up at the dealer in one of those Lambo jeeps... I would go with an HK416, with an M203 under-mounted, that way I can reach out and touch someone, or clear a room as needed.

Oh ya if cost was no object I agree.  On a kind of side note has anyone seen that KRISS vector, I am sure that is is more fancy then function but I am going to try to find a store that has one to shoot in Las Vegas. 

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 04:58:44 PM

Gas piston .223's interest me. Maybe one of these days I'll get to play with one.
miln40

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 12:23:29 AM

Just for entertainment value:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAHXosoNlvo

can't believe no one has posted this

My primary BTC address:
1M5oZcUzHGT3mzNeA73opLUdSPSpKL5NE3
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print