Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:01:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New York Times identifies Nick Szabo as Satoshi Nakamoto  (Read 14217 times)
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 03:45:05 AM

http://www.quora.com/Startups-in-2014/Why-would-you-invest-in-a-Bitcoin-related-company-instead-of-Bitcoins

Tim Draper: Son, I have something for you.
Adam Draper: What, dad?
Time Draper: Vaurum.
Adam Draper: You want me to...
Tim Draper: Wink!
Adam Draper: If only we could get...
Tim Draper: Whose your daddy?
NY Times: Nick Szabo...
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
crazywack
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 04:37:46 AM

@Gleb

Looked on Google maps at those addresses. Seems to be a business park or complex. But why would they have so many addresses in that park? Wouldn't it be adventitious to have 1? Also why register in Cali? Taxes are insain.... Sure they are crypto friendly but why not Nevada?

I found your research on this intreaging.

Do they all have the same lawyer who advised them to register here? Same person? I'm so what lost and need more to feed my curiosity.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4473

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 05:22:09 AM

so it seems my theory that its just a dead drop site for mail, was correct.  340 lemon is the address of the company called "virtualpostmail" who act as a mail forwarding service

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
crazywack
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 05:38:05 AM

so it seems my theory that its just a dead drop site for mail, was correct.  340 lemon is the address of the company called "virtualpostmail" who act as a mail forwarding service

Makes sense. . . Was ganna say a or domain/hosting service maybe. Cuz I looked at some their Whois.domain and saw they had differing area codes.

monsanto
Legendary

Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005

..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 06:24:42 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/business/decoding-the-enigma-of-satoshi-nakamoto-and-the-birth-of-bitcoin.html

I met Mr. Szabo, a large bearded man, in March 2014 at a Bitcoin event at the Lake Tahoe vacation home of Dan Morehead, a former Goldman Sachs executive who now runs a Bitcoin-focused investment firm, Pantera Capital.

coinmaster222

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 06:30:12 AM

worked wth him on bigold the fore runner to bitcoin have said this all a long

nizamcc
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 06:32:22 AM

This can't be Satoshi.
The guy who started this technology to anonymize everything won't let anyone reveal himself.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 06:36:35 AM

Here we go again. Why would anyone take this seriously?
They are just doing this for publicity. The chances of Nick Szabo being Satoshi are the same as me being Satoshi and not even knowing about it.

As with every thread: please stop searching for Satoshi. Don't you have something better to do in your own life?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
PenguinFire

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

That Darn Cat

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 06:37:23 AM

Sweet article.  I would have probably been unlikely to have read this unless lots of other sites also wrote articles about this. Smiley

bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 06:53:43 AM

Just because it is the new york times, doesn't mean that we will have to put a head to everything it writes in. I still believe satoshi is a name of a group. But whether that group is a independent agency or a govt. project, that is still a mystery.

monsanto
Legendary

Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005

..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 07:04:15 AM

Mr. Szabo himself has continued to be quietly involved in the work. In the beginning of 2014, Mr. Szabo joined Vaurum, a Bitcoin start-up based in Palo Alto, Calif., that was operating in stealth mode and that aimed to build a better Bitcoin exchange. After his arrival, Mr. Szabo helped reorient the company to take advantage of the Bitcoin software’s capability for so-called smart contracts, which enable self-executing financial transactions, according to people briefed on the company’s operations who spoke on condition of anonymity.

After Mr. Szabo led the company in a new direction, it was renamed Mirror, and it recently raised $12.5 million from several prominent venture capitalists, these people said. The company declined to comment for this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/business/decoding-the-enigma-of-satoshi-nakamoto-and-the-birth-of-bitcoin.html

N S (nick szabo) is S N (satoshi nakamoto) in a mirror.

And that old anonymous blog post claiming textual analysis determined Szabo was Satoshi:

https://likeinamirror.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/satoshi-nakamoto-is-probably-nick-szabo

https://likeinamirror.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/satoshi-nakamoto-is-probably-nick-szabo/
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 08:02:43 AM

This can't be Satoshi.
The guy who started this technology to anonymize everything won't let anyone reveal himself.

Who was on the 2008 list of academics passionate about cryptocurrencies and who wrote like Nick Szabo? Nick Szabo.

The scenario in which Szabo goes to a technically-minded computer scientist to get help turning bit gold into a reality is strongly backed by the fact that in April 2008, just a few months before the announcement of Bitcoin, Nick was actively looking for collaborators on the bit gold project. He asks on his blog [5] :

“[bit gold] would greatly benefit from a demonstration, an experimental market (with e.g. a trusted third party substituted for the complex security that would be needed for a real system). Anybody want to help me code one up?”

http://web.archive.org/web/20120117011806/http://vaurum.com/

http://themonetaryfuture.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html

The most successful of the current crop of microcurrencies is GoldMoney, a 21st-century take on the oldest financial trick in the book.

When a retired Florida oncologist named Douglas Jackson launched the world’s first digital-gold currency in 1996—an online payment system fully backed by precious metal reserves and marketed under the brand name e-gold—he did not appear to be on the winning side of monetary history. Once upon a time, nearly a hundred years before, the gold standard reigned supreme: A dollar bill or a pound note or any other major currency was in those days just a marker for a fixed amount of government gold, redeemable at any time. But by the onset of the Depression, the economist John Maynard Keynes had declared the gold standard a “barbarous relic,” too crudely physical a form of money for the complex demands of modern economies. And by the century’s end, the multitrillion-dollar global money supply had long since shed its ties to gold or any other tangible asset in particular and now resided almost wholly in the digital circuitry of financial networks. Money had gone virtual, and reattaching it to gold made as much historical sense, it seemed, as instant-messaging by pigeon post.
sherbyspark

Activity: 910

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 08:25:17 AM

This can't be Satoshi.
He obviously didn't reveal himself. The newspapers and some study done in a university , claimed that he is probable satoshi because his writing style matched to that of the original paper by satoshi , and his writing style.
And we have had people do a bit of stupid things before  , like DPR using his real name to ask a programming question.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 08:29:04 AM

Nick Szabo has as much chance of being Satoshi as the NYT has of being a relevant news source. Did I just say that out loud?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 08:43:49 AM

Well I read through the so-called statement and I would say it's not that convincing. It could be mere coincidence as we all know and in fact, it offered nothing new. Maybe more like an attempt to generate hype with some hidden agenda. Oh and they did mention that you have to buy the book to get more details right?

Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 08:44:30 AM

Mr. Szabo himself has continued to be quietly involved in the work. In the beginning of 2014, Mr. Szabo joined Vaurum, a Bitcoin start-up based in Palo Alto, Calif., that was operating in stealth mode and that aimed to build a better Bitcoin exchange. After his arrival, Mr. Szabo helped reorient the company to take advantage of the Bitcoin software’s capability for so-called smart contracts, which enable self-executing financial transactions, according to people briefed on the company’s operations who spoke on condition of anonymity.

After Mr. Szabo led the company in a new direction, it was renamed Mirror, and it recently raised $12.5 million from several prominent venture capitalists, these people said. The company declined to comment for this article.

N S (nick szabo) is S N (satoshi nakamoto) in a mirror.

And that old anonymous blog post claiming textual analysis determined Szabo was Satoshi:

https://likeinamirror.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/satoshi-nakamoto-is-probably-nick-szabo

https://likeinamirror.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/satoshi-nakamoto-is-probably-nick-szabo/

http://www.expatgomalaysia.com/2014/03/09/satoshi-nakamoto-bitcoin-creator-identified/?utm_source=leapingpost.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=2014/03/09/satoshi-nakamoto-bitcoin-creator-identified/&utm_campaign=leapingpostredirects

Who was the man (or woman) behind the pseudonym ‘Satoshi Nakamoto’? Never has a question caught the imagination of so many people around the world since the debate on the identity of the woman in Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa.

https://books.google.com/books?id=dRl1tkAh9P4C&pg=PA17&lpg=PA17&dq=mona+lisa+mirror&source=bl&ots=fXNExyeh5F&sig=K1-Ne2sTpILmPXTjTa4HrPRsbEo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=SQJXVeuqEouYsAXnxYGwBg&ved=0CEAQ6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q=mona%20lisa%20mirror&f=false

Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 08:46:28 AM

Well I read through the so-called statement and I would say it's not that convincing. It could be mere coincidence as we all know and in fact, it offered nothing new. Maybe more like an attempt to generate hype with some hidden agenda. Oh and they did mention that you have to buy the book to get more details right?

There's more than enough details here: https://likeinamirror.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/satoshi-nakamoto-is-probably-nick-szabo/
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 09:18:08 AM

Would somebody be so kind and let me know if Sean Lavine and Adam B. Levine are related.
Krang

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 09:49:05 AM

it could be one of satoshi's friends who has done all those things, just to misdirect traces

i think it is not him, and i'm still with the theory that satoshi nakamoto is a mere pseudo name that identify a group of coders, like skydrow or r.g.mechanics ecc...
I agree with you this man can not be Satoshi.There are two possibilities one what you said and the other one is someone wants to be famous and that's why let the NYT to claim about his identity.Satoshi will never come in front nor will be recognized by anyone.

Why can he not be satoshi? There are lots of similarities and if you do a bit of reading on Nick Szabo (another pseudonym) you will see it could very well be him

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/344omz/nick_szabo_google_search_image

Quote from: 'Szabo'

In my limited experience creating Internet pseudonyms, I've been quite distracted by the continual need to avoid leaving pointers to my True Name lying around -- excess mail to/from my True Name, shared files, common peculiarities (eg misspellings in written text), traceable logins, etc. The penet.fi site explicitly maintains a list of pointers to the original address. All kinds of security controls -- crypto, access, information, inference -- have to be continually on my mind when using pseudonymous accounts. The hazards are everywhere. With our current tools it's practically impossible to maintain an active pseudonym for a long period of time against a sufficiently determined opponent, and quite a hassle to maintain even a modicum of decent security. Pointers to info and/or tools to enable the establishment and maintenance of a net.nym, beyond the standard cypherpunks PGP/remailer fare with which I'm now familiar, greatly appreciated. Especially nice would be a list of commercial net providers that allow pseudonymous accounts.

and

Quote from: 'Szabo'

I've had several years to establish a net.reputation for "Nick Szabo", and it might take a long time for any of my pseudonyms to catch up. Altruistic sponsorship requires trusted friends knowing the True Name, but that public sponsorship itself provides important clues pointing to that Name.
Dajve

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 09:58:01 AM

the overwhelming evidence that satoshi is british ( british spellings and grammer, plus british newspaper reference in genesis) always gets ignored when they try to convince people that satoshi is american.....

That's not really evidence. How do you know it's not just what he wants you to believe? If I was going to try conceal my identity I would try throw people off using different spellings or grammar or logging in at a different timezone etc and I'm not even half as smart as satoshi.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: