Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:04:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New York Times identifies Nick Szabo as Satoshi Nakamoto  (Read 14216 times)
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 07:10:04 PM

The New York Times thinks it's identified mysterious bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto

The myth surrounding bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto may be larger than the reality.

The search for Nakamoto's identity has lasted years, with myriad theories, but new evidence suggests that a man who has long been considered a possible Nakamoto may indeed be the inventor behind bitcoin.

The New York Times has published a new longform piece (which features material from a soon-to-be-released book) aimed precisely at this question and this man.

His name is Nick Szabo, whom The Times describes as a "large bearded man." For years people have suspected him of being involved with the original bitcoin project in some capacity. Szabo was behind another digital currency called "bit gold," which was conceived before bitcoin and offered similar services.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-creator-satoshi-nakamoto-identity-2015-5#ixzz3aEguQHHr

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 07:15:48 PM

it could be one of satoshi's friends who has done all those things, just to misdirect traces

i think it is not him, and i'm still with the theory that satoshi nakamoto is a mere pseudo name that identify a group of coders, like skydrow or r.g.mechanics ecc...
newcripto

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 07:38:51 PM

it could be one of satoshi's friends who has done all those things, just to misdirect traces

i think it is not him, and i'm still with the theory that satoshi nakamoto is a mere pseudo name that identify a group of coders, like skydrow or r.g.mechanics ecc...
I agree with you this man can not be Satoshi.There are two possibilities one what you said and the other one is someone wants to be famous and that's why let the NYT to claim about his identity.Satoshi will never come in front nor will be recognized by anyone.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 08:00:07 PM

"...which features material from a soon-to-be-released book..." - This is the only part of this story that you need to read, this "revelation"  is created only
to sell pumped up title, nothing more. Low move from NY Times, i thought they are better than that, but judging by this, they obviously  are not.

cheers
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 08:09:32 PM

"...which features material from a soon-to-be-released book..." - This is the only part of this story that you need to read, this "revelation"  is created only
to sell pumped up title, nothing more. Low move from NY Times, i thought they are better than that, but judging by this, they obviously  are not.

cheers

Kind of destroys the little credibility they had left in my book... Smiley
NyeFe

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 08:29:30 PM

I agree with you this man can not be Satoshi.There are two possibilities one what you said and the other one is someone wants to be famous and that's why let the NYT to claim about his identity.Satoshi will never come in front nor will be recognized by anyone.

Why not let him be Satoshi? Isn't the IRS looking for someone to lynch for the amount of coins stored in his wallets?

MicroDApp.com—Smart Contract developers. Lets build a decentralized future!
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 08:42:02 PM

Why not let him be Satoshi? Isn't the IRS looking for someone to lynch for the amount of coins stored in his wallets?

The first draft of the BitLicense stated that, “controlling, administering, or issuing a Virtual Currency” qualifies as Virtual Currency Business Activity subject to licensing. This remains unchanged in the new draft.

If someone proved he was Satoshi would they go after him for controlling, administering, or issuing a Virtual Currency? Can the BitLicense be applied to things that happened before its release? Probably not, but I haven't read the small print yet.
Studio60

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 08:51:39 PM

Now they'll turn this guy's life upside down and in a couple months we'll have another big news calling someone else The Satoshi Cheesy

As long as he gets a free lunch out of it I guess it's okay Wink
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 08:52:23 PM

The first draft of the BitLicense stated that, “controlling, administering, or issuing a Virtual Currency” qualifies as Virtual Currency Business Activity subject to licensing. This remains unchanged in the new draft.

If someone proved he was Satoshi would they go after him for controlling, administering, or issuing a Virtual Currency? Can the BitLicense be applied to things that happened before its release? Probably not, but I haven't read the small print yet.
I think the IRS could care less about anything except taxes. Besides, they have no grounds to do anything and Satoshi did nothing wrong. Remember you owe money when you cash out coins, not just for owning them. You could have a billion dollars worth and your tax on them is zero. Now if you sell a billion dollars worth you will owe capitol gains on the growth in value.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
sherbyspark

Activity: 910

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 08:55:47 PM

Now they'll turn this guy's life upside down and in a couple months we'll have another big news calling someone else The Satoshi Cheesy

Maybe we will have Satoshi Return and comment "I am not Nick Szabo" , just like he did before. We will atleast know he is still alive .
Also , this does sound fishy as it reads on wikipedia "After the release of Bitcoin, the timestamp of his blog post was changed to appear as if the blog post was published only after the release of Bitcoin."
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 09:11:50 PM

Maybe we will have Satoshi Return and comment "I am not Nick Szabo" , just like he did before. We will atleast know he is still alive .
Also , this does sound fishy as it reads on wikipedia "After the release of Bitcoin, the timestamp of his blog post was changed to appear as if the blog post was published only after the release of Bitcoin."

i guess these people are "the Satoshis" and i like that scenario. of course they will never say that they invented BTC but these guys are alot better than the NSA  Tongue

Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 09:56:03 PM

cheers

Perhaps, they put out this article for feelers on their proposed name change: NY Times Week.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 09:58:54 PM

Not again for fucks sake, do they really think a third rate reporter is going to be able to find Satoshi? It's not like he'd even admit it and now there are several Satoshi Nakamoto's to pick from so no one is going to believe them anyway, their own lies have made it impossible to tell who's telling the truth.
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 10:04:08 PM

If the relevant authorities did find the creator of bitcoin could they make him / her or them destroy bitcoin?

I don't know enough about the technical side but was wondering if it could all come to an end if the people in the know were made to do so?
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 10:29:36 PM

If the relevant authorities did find the creator of bitcoin could they make him / her or them destroy bitcoin?

I don't know enough about the technical side but was wondering if it could all come to an end if the people in the know were made to do so?

There is no chance of that. The creator of Bitcoin has not been an active developer of it for years. Other devs now control the development, and their changes to the code have to be accepted by a massive worldwide network of people who mine Bitcoins. If the miners don't like the dev's changes then they can refuse to upgrade to the new software. The reason Bitcoin cannot be destroyed by a single government is because its a worldwide decentralized system with no single group of people who fully control it.
SpanishSoldier

Activity: 686
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 10:34:50 PM

This is nothing but a marketing move by NYT. Nice to see that they think Bitcoin sales better than babes. The NewsWeek story had more substance than this.

This is also a tactical move by Vaurum, which is backed Tim Draper and recruited Nick Szabo. If they can push that Szabo is Nakamoto, then they'll have a say that Founder of Bitcoin is working with us. So, we are better than others.
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 10:37:04 PM

There is no chance of that. The creator of Bitcoin has not been an active developer of it for years. Other devs now control the development, and their changes to the code have to be accepted by a massive worldwide network of people who mine Bitcoins. If the miners don't like the dev's changes then they can refuse to upgrade to the new software. The reason Bitcoin cannot be destroyed by a single government is because its a worldwide decentralized system with no single group of people who fully control it.

Thank you Smiley.
boomertoo

Activity: 392
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 11:00:47 PM

Who is John Galt  Cool
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 11:06:19 PM

Who is John Galt  Cool

Something of a prick.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 11:08:19 PM

the bitcoin code exists on thousands of users computers. there is no central location..
in short there is no 'off switch' unless authorities could systematically find every single bitcoin-core user and destroy the bitcoin code on everyones computer..

if the government had any monetary destruction agenda.. they would find it far easier to destroy FIAT banks.. to wipe off the trillion dollar world debt

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: