Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 06:41:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: McDonald’s Is Days From Opening Restaurant Run Entirely By Robots  (Read 15860 times)
jayce
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 1506

Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2015, 06:07:01 PM

Just like most powerplants run 24/7 with only two employers on the ground, the biggest workforce is in marketing and customer support. The most of the work is done by the computers or better named robot brains to stick on topic. Most factories and production has reduced it's human interferance and taken the step to automation. A lot of things have and this will continue, human interaction is reduced to the minimum. Obsolete in some processes but not trusted entirely to remove the humans from the job. Like automated busses where passenger will not get in if there is no one behind the steering wheel.

I think the robots in manufacturers are semi-automatic, so them still need human to switch on/off and set them before work.

this paradigm ends up with humans becoming outmoded by their robot counterparts and merely praying to be adopted as curious meat pets.
but the real fun will happen not when robots design robots that design better robots , but when the robots start redesigning and modifying  the human genome.

Okay, I will be careful when buy a big mac from that robot.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
misterycoins

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 01:25:42 AM

Such is life regardless of the skillset technology will make us all obsolete eventually...it's only a matter of time before McDonald's really does open a robotic store.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 03:14:28 PM

Should robots have human rights? Act now to regulate killer machines before they multiply and demand the right to vote, warns legal expert

Robots will need new laws to regulate them just like the internet did
Army and tech firms have driven robotics and artificial intelligence
There is rising concern about the dangers of these technologies
Experts warn artificial intelligence could be as dangerous as nuclear weapons

A legal expert has warned that the laws that govern robotics are playing catch-up to the technology and need to be updated in case robots 'wake up' and demand rights.

He also argues that artificial intelligence has come of age, and that we should begin tackling these problems before they arise, as robots increasingly blur the line between person and machine. 

'Robotics combines, for the first time, the promiscuity of data with the capacity to do physical harm,' Ryan Calo, from the University of Washington’s School of Law, wrote in his paper on the subject.

'Robotic systems accomplish tasks in ways that cannot be anticipated in advance; and robots increasingly blur the line between person and instrument.' 

There has been rising concern about the potential danger of artificial intelligence to humans, with prominent figures including Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk wading in on the debate.

In January both signed an open letter to AI researchers warning of the dangers of artificial intelligence.

The letter warns that without safeguards on the technology, mankind could be heading for a dark future, with millions out of work or even the demise of our species.

Legal expert Calo outlines a terrifying thought experiment detailing how our laws might need an update to deal with the challenges posed by robots demanding the right to vote.

'Imagine that an artificial intelligence announces it has achieved self-awareness, a claim no one seems able to discredit,' Calo wrote.

'Say the intelligence has also read Skinner v. Oklahoma, a Supreme Court case that characterizes the right to procreate as “one of the basic civil rights of man.”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3168081/Should-robots-human-rights-Act-regulate-killer-machines-multiply-demand-right-vote-warns-legal-expert.html

renbit

Activity: 257

[insert trending meme] 人

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 11:22:26 PM

I think the idea goes that ...
artificial intelligence will eventually be so perfected that it would inevitably be able to manipulate all time and space   
so therefore it already is doing so behind the scenes in ways designed to hasten its onset

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 11:30:36 PM

artificial intelligence will eventually be so perfected that it would inevitably be able to manipulate all time and space   
so therefore it already is doing so behind the scenes in ways designed to hasten its onset

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 02:26:37 PM

Only because we doesnt understand something doesnt mean that it somehow will evolve to something greater out of its own. I wrote programs that are named neural networks, which is mimicing the way human neurons (in the brain) work. I was disappointed about what is possible. They can only learn in the border you set them. They will not somehow break out of it.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:32:59 PM

Only because we doesnt understand something doesnt mean that it somehow will evolve to something greater out of its own. I wrote programs that are named neural networks, which is mimicing the way human neurons (in the brain) work. I was disappointed about what is possible. They can only learn in the border you set them. They will not somehow break out of it.

Are we expecting humans to code something that will be more perfect than... humans? A.I. will be in the image of its creators. For good and for worse...

renbit

Activity: 257

[insert trending meme] 人

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 03:33:41 PM

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/07/roko_s_basilisk_the_most_terrifying_thought_experiment_of_all_time.2.html

s1ng
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 03:45:17 PM

As we can see , we are adapting many new technology to build some efficiency. For example : McD can saving more expense if they use robot. They only need to pay the programmer for a year contract, robot will stay still for 24 hours non-stop , their service will more faster to serve more customer.
But yes there are some cons, like more unemployment  Sad  But all depend on us as customer whenever who you want to be serve
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 04:03:12 PM

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/07/roko_s_basilisk_the_most_terrifying_thought_experiment_of_all_time.2.html

CONCEPT /// Roko's Basilisk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzAzb2V7gzU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyL4BcLumiI

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/hallq/2014/12/rokos-basilisk-lesswrong/

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 04:17:00 PM

[...]
Eliezer also appears to have believed, for a long time, that the world is in danger and he’s the only one who can save it. For example, he’s said:

I think my efforts could spell the difference between life and death for most of humanity, or even the difference between a Singularity and a lifeless, sterilized planet.  I don’t mean to say, of course, that the entire causal load should be attributed to me; if I make it, then Ed Regis or Vernor Vinge, both of whom got me into this, would equally be able to say “My efforts made the difference between Singularity and destruction.”  The same goes for Brian Atkins, and Eric Drexler, and so on.  History is a fragile thing.  So are our causal intuitions, where linear chains of dependencies are concerned.  Nonetheless, I think that I can save the world, not just because I’m the one who happens to be making the effort, but because I’m the only one who can make the effort. And that is why I get up in the morning.

I believe the above paragraph was written in the year 2000, but he’s said similar things much more recently. In a series of Q&A videos he did in 2010, he implied he still believed he had a unique, near-irreplaceable role to play in the future of the world:
If I got hit by a meteor right now, what would happen is that Michael Vassar would take over responsibility for seeing the planet through to safety, and say ‘Yeah I’m personally just going to get this done, not going to rely on anyone else to do it for me, this is my problem, I have to handle it.’ And Marcello Herreshoff would be the one who would be tasked with recognizing another Eliezer Yudkowsky if one showed up and could take over the project, but at present I don’t know of any other person who could do that, or I’d be working with them.

[...]
With all that, here’s the story of Roko’s Basilisk.

Roko’s Basilisk comes from a thread on LessWrong that famously caused Eliezer to freak out and delete the entire thread. Because the entire thread got deleted, for a long time it’s been hard to get accurate information on what really happened, but recently (I think) someone posted the entire cached thread here. Here’s the key paragraph from the original post by Roko, from July 2010:

In this vein, there is the ominous possibility that if a positive singularity does occur, the resultant singleton may have precommitted to punish all potential donors who knew about existential risks but who didn’t give 100% of their disposable incomes to x-risk motivation. This would act as an incentive to get people to donate more to reducing existential risk, and thereby increase the chances of a positive singularity. This seems to be what CEV (coherent extrapolated volition of humanity) might do if it were an acausal decision-maker.1 So a post-singularity world may be a world of fun and plenty for the people who are currently ignoring the problem, whilst being a living hell for a significant fraction of current existential risk reducers (say, the least generous half). You could take this possibility into account and give even more to x-risk in an effort to avoid being punished. But of course, if you’re thinking like that, then the CEV-singleton is even more likely to want to punish you… nasty. Of course this would be unjust, but is the kind of unjust thing that is oh-so-very utilitarian. It is a concrete example of how falling for the just world fallacy might backfire on a person with respect to existential risk, especially against people who were implicitly or explicitly expecting some reward for their efforts in the future. And even if you only think that the probability of this happening is 1%, note that the probability of a CEV doing this to a random person who would casually brush off talk of existential risks as “nonsense” is essentially zero.

In the original post, the first appearance of the “CEV” acronym linked to an explanation of the concept. That link is now broken, but here’s one that currently works. The key thing is that building an AI that embodies the CEV of humanity is Eliezer’s preferred strategy for building “Friendly AI.” In other words, Roko’s original suggestion was that the basilisk was a possible consequence of Eliezer/the Singularity Institute succeeding at what it was trying to do.

Personally, I’m not worried about the basilisk. My understanding is that, even if you accept all the premises, including ones about acausal decision-makers (which I will make no attempt to explain here), the threat can still be evaded if you simply resolve to ignore all threats of acausal blackmail.

On the other hand, I’m not sure how you can rule out an AI of the sort Eliezer wants to build doing things that would be horrifying from the point of view of common-sense morality. As Roko says, that “kind of unjust thing that is oh-so-very utilitarian.”

I’m personally not clear on whether Roko was the first person to come up withe basilisk. The version of the original post linked above has a footnote which says “in fact one person at SIAI was severely worried by this, to the point of having terrible nightmares, though ve wishes to remain anonymous,” implying the idea was floating around before Roko posted it. But possibly this footnote was added as an edit after the initial posting.

Before eventually deleting the entire thread, Eliezer posted this comment (emphasis in original):

I don’t usually talk like this, but I’m going to make an exception for this case.
Listen to me very closely, you idiot.
YOU DO NOT THINK IN SUFFICIENT DETAIL ABOUT SUPERINTELLIGENCES CONSIDERING WHETHER OR NOT TO BLACKMAIL YOU. THAT IS THE ONLY POSSIBLE THING WHICH GIVES THEM A MOTIVE TO FOLLOW THROUGH ON THE BLACKMAIL.
There’s an obvious equilibrium to this problem where you engage in all positive acausal trades and ignore all attempts at acausal blackmail.
Until we have a better worked-out version of TDT and we can prove that formally, it should just be OBVIOUS that you DO NOT THINK ABOUT DISTANT BLACKMAILERS in SUFFICIENT DETAIL that they have a motive to ACTUALLY BLACKMAIL YOU.
If there is any part of this acausal trade that is positive-sum and actually worth doing, that is exactly the sort of thing you leave up to an FAI. We probably also have the FAI take actions that cancel out the impact of anyone motivated by true rather than imagined blackmail, so as to obliterate the motive of any superintelligences to engage in blackmail.
Meanwhile I’m banning this post so that it doesn’t (a) give people horrible nightmares and (b) give distant superintelligences a motive to follow through on blackmail against people dumb enough to think about them in sufficient detail, though, thankfully, I doubt anyone dumb enough to do this knows the sufficient detail. (I’m not sure I know the sufficient detail.)
You have to be really clever to come up with a genuinely dangerous thought. I am disheartened that people can be clever enough to do that and not clever enough to do the obvious thing and KEEP THEIR IDIOT MOUTHS SHUT about it, because it is much more important to sound intelligent when talking to your friends.
This post was STUPID.
(For those who have no idea why I’m using capital letters for something that just sounds like a random crazy idea, and worry that it means I’m as crazy as Roko, the gist of it was that he just did something that potentially gives superintelligences an increased motive to do extremely evil things in an attempt to blackmail us. It is the sort of thing you want to be EXTREMELY CONSERVATIVE about NOT DOING.)

Then everything got deleted. All discussion of Roko’s Basilisk got banned from LessWrong. As I understand it, this ban remains in effect to this day, at least in theory, though of you do a Google site search of LessWrong for “Roko’s Basilisk,” you’ll find a lot of stuff that’s slipped through the cracks.

I know that a number of members of the LessWrong community have credited the basilisk incident with helping him see a lot of the things wrong with the community. I basically agree with this response–the basilisk incident is a clear case of Eliezer taking a crazy idea way more seriously than it deserved to be taken.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/hallq/2014/12/rokos-basilisk-lesswrong/

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 12:46:09 AM

New York Acts to Mandate $15 Minimum Wage in Fast Food

The labor protest movement that fast-food workers in New York City set off nearly four years ago has led to higher wages for workers all over the country. On Wednesday, it finally paid off for the people who started it.

A panel appointed by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo recommended on Wedesday that the minimum wage be raised for employees of fast-food chain restaurants throughout the state to $15 an hour. Wages would first be raised in New York City and then the rest of the state.

The decision is a major victory for the campaign to improve the lives of workers who often struggle to pay for basic needs on low salaries. “This is one of the really great days of my administration,” Mr. Cuomo wrote in a Tweet shortly after the decision.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/nyregion/new-york-minimum-wage-fast-food-workers.html

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 12:19:42 PM

Fast Food Company Develops Robots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ_fSP3LGw8

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 08:13:34 PM

I, for one, welcome the new robot hotel staff at Japan's Henn-na Hotel

You can check in any time you like; just talk to the dinosaur.

All the webs are going on about the new Henn-na Hotel that just opened for business at the Huis Ten Bosch amusement park with an “Eco-Friendly Future City” theme in the Nagasaki Prefecture. (Shea covered the original announcement here.) The hotel is pitched as being run by robots, and what’s not to love about the talking dinosaur that greets English-speaking guests? But there's a lot going on here beyond the silly robots — which is a good thing, because all the robots are doing things that are pretty much history in any budget business hotel.

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/stories/i-one-welcome-new-robot-hotel-staff-japans-henn-na-hotel

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 03:53:15 PM

Chinese factory replaces 90% of humans with robots, production soars

Changying Precision Technology Company in Dongguan city has set up an unmanned factory run almost entirely by robots. The factory has since seen a fewer defects and a higher rate of production.

The gravest fear that has rippled through humanity from the technology industry is that, someday, almost all of our jobs will be replaced by robots.

While that fear is often laughed off as something that will only happen far into the future, the truth is that it's actually happening right now.

In Dongguan City, located in the central Guangdong province of China, a technology company has set up a factory run almost exclusively by robots, and the results are fascinating.

The Changying Precision Technology Company factory in Dongguan has automated production lines that use robotic arms to produce parts for cell phones. The factory also has automated machining equipment, autonomous transport trucks, and other automated equipment in the warehouse.

There are still people working at the factory, though. Three workers check and monitor each production line and there are other employees who monitor a computer control systems. Previously, there were 650 employees at the factory. With the new robots, there's now only 60. Luo Weiqiang, general manager of the company, told the People's Daily that the number of employees could drop even further to 20 in the future.

The robots have produced almost three times as many pieces as were produced before. According to the People's Daily, production per person has increased from 8,000 pieces to 21,000 pieces. That's a 162.5% increase.

The increased production rate hasn't come at the cost of quality either. In fact, quality has improved. Before the robots, the product defect rate was 25%, now it is below 5%.

Shenzhen Evenwin Precision Technology, also based in Dongguan, announced a similar effort in May 2015. This region of China if often referred to as the "world's workshop" due to the high number of factories located there.

The shift happening with automation has been in the works for many similar companies in the area for quite some time. Foxconn, the controversial manufacturer of many gadgets such as the iPhone and iPad announced its robot initiative back in 2011.

Dongguan is about an hour's car ride north of Shenzhen, which is widely regarded as the one of the top regions in the world for gadget manufacturing. The growth of robotics in the area's factories comes amidst a particularly harsh climate around factory worker conditions, highlighted by strikes in the area. One can only wonder whether automation will add fuel to the fire or quell some of the unrest.

Some of the influx of robotics in the region is due to the Made in China 2025 initiative, and we will continue to see automation affect the area and potentially reduce the number of manufacturing jobs. Additionally, in March, 2015, the Guangdong government announced a three year plan to increase automation in the region by subsidizing the purchase of robots.

According to the International Federation of Robotics (IFR), electronics production was one of the biggest growth drivers for the sales of industrial robots. China was the largest market for industrial robotics in 2014 with nearly 60,000 robots sold.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/chinese-factory-replaces-90-of-humans-with-robots-production-soars/

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 02:10:17 AM

Minimum-wage offensive could speed arrival of robot-powered restaurants

Crowded. That’s how Ed Rensi remembers what life was like working at McDonald’s back in 1966. There were about double the number of people working in the store — 70 or 80, as opposed to the 30 or 40 there today — because preparing the food just took a lot more doing.

“When I first started at McDonald’s making 85 cents an hour, everything we made was by hand,” Rensi said — from cutting the shortcakes to stirring syrups into the milk for shakes. Over the years, though, ingredients started to arrive packaged and pre-mixed, ready to be heated up, bagged and handed out the window.

“More and more of the labor was pushed back up the chain,” said Rensi, who went on to become chief executive of the company in the 1990s. The company kept employing more grill cooks and cashiers as it expanded, but each one of them accounted for more of each store’s revenue as more sophisticated cooking techniques allowed each to become more productive.

The industry could be ready for another jolt as a ballot initiative to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour nears in the District and as other campaigns to boost wages gain traction around the country. About 30 percent of the restaurant industry’s costs come from salaries, so burger-flipping robots — or at least super-fast ovens that expedite the process — become that much more cost-competitive if the current federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour is doubled.

“The problem with the ­minimum-wage offensive is that it throws the accounting of the restaurant industry totally upside down,” said Harold Miller, vice president of franchise development for Persona Pizzeria, who also consults for other chains. “My position is: Pay your people properly, keep them longer, treat them right, and robots are going to be helpful in doing that, because it will help the restaurateur survive.”

Many chains are already at work looking for ingenious ways to take humans out of the picture, threatening workers in an industry that employs 2.4 million wait staffers, nearly 3 million cooks and food preparers and many of the nation’s 3.3 million cashiers.

‘Why wait?’
The advent of fast-food chains may have ushered in an era of new efficiencies, but the industry as a whole has largely been resistant to cuts in labor. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, since 1987, labor productivity in ­limited-service restaurants has grown at a rate of only 0.3 percent per year, which is low compared with most other industries.

The market research company IBISWorld has calculated that the average number of employees at fast-food restaurants declined by fewer than two people over the past decade, from 17.16 employees to 15.28. And restaurants tend to rely more on labor than other food outlets: According to the National Restaurant Association, dining establishments average $84,000 in sales per worker, compared with $304,000 for grocery stores and $855,000 for gas stations.

Labor isn’t the only ingredient that factors into the price of a Big Mac: There’s also real estate, which has been getting more expensive, especially in the hot urban markets where restaurants are seeking to locate. Wholesale food costs, meanwhile, have escalated 25 percent over the past five years.

The avalanche of rising costs is why franchisers are aggressively looking for technology that can allow them to produce more food faster with higher quality and lower waste. Dave Brewer is chief operating officer with Middleby Corp., which owns dozens of kitchen equipment brands, and is constantly developing new ways to optimize performance and minimize cost.

“The miracle is, the wage increase is driving the interest,” Brewer said. “But the innovation and the automation, they’re going after it even before the wages go up. Why wait?”

All that innovation helps restaurants streamline other parts of their operations — and draw more customers. Electronic menus can be constantly updated so that items that are out of stock can be removed. Connecting the point of the sale to the oven’s operating system allows precise amounts of food to be cooked, which helps cut down on costs. Other inventions save energy, reduce maintenance and better dispose of grease. On the digital side, restaurants are working on apps that include reward systems and location tracking that prompt customers to eat with them more frequently.

It’s possible that new inventions could start to eliminate positions faster than they have in the past.

The labor-saving technology that has so far been rolled out most extensively — kiosk and ­tablet-based ordering — could be used to replace cashiers and the part of the wait staff’s job that involves taking orders and bringing checks. Olive Garden said earlier this year that it would roll out the Ziosk system at all its restaurants, which means that all a server has to do is bring out the food.

Robots can even help cut down on the need for high-skilled workers such as sushi chefs. A number of high-end restaurants use machines for rolling rice out on sheets of nori, a relatively menial task that takes lots of time. Even though sushi chefs tend to make more than $15 an hour, they could be on the chopping block if servers need to make $15 an hour, too.

“For our operation, we’re not buying entry-level labor, but if entry-level labor goes up a huge amount, everything goes up,” said Robert Bleu, the president of True World Group, a seafood distributor and consultant that also owns a sushi restaurant in Chicago. “I don’t consider rice-forming a high art. You can escape some of the drudgery.”

Of course, it’s possible to imagine all kinds of dramatic productivity enhancements. Persona ­Pizzeria’s Miller predicts that drone delivery systems will eventually get rid of the need to come into a restaurant at all, for example. Brewer has a bold prediction: He thinks that all the automation working its way into restaurants could eventually cut staffing levels in half. The remaining employees would just need to learn how to operate the machines and fix things when they break.

“You don’t want a $15-an-hour person doing something that the person who makes $7 an hour can do,” Brewer said. “It’s not downgrading the employees. It’s that the employees become managers of a bunch of different systems. They’ll become smarter and smarter.”

The value of a human touch
Not everybody, however, agrees that machines could make that much of a dent in labor costs. Implementing new systems is expensive, and mistakes can be devastating. And for some concepts, it’s possible that the presence of employees is actually a restaurant’s competitive advantage. Compared with grocery stores and gas stations, many people come to restaurants exactly because they want some human interaction.

Andy Wiederhorn, chief executive of Fatburger — who is testing tablet systems in his sit-down chain, Buffalo’s Cafe — doubts improvements in technology are going to be enough to keep up with the mandated wage increases, especially when actual people can be his best sales tool.

“I think that tablets have a place at the table, but it’s pretty hard to ask questions, get suggestions from a tablet. I don’t think they replace a server, they make a server more efficient,” Wiederhorn said. “We’re selling hamburgers shakes and fries, and [customers] want to talk to somebody and say, ‘Here’s how I want it.’ So I think in the hospitality industry, to assume that technology will take the place of workers is a false assumption.”

That’s why some restaurants have tiptoed in the direction of increased automation, rather than sprinted, even as minimum-wage hikes loom.

“Because the industry remains overall an industry of hospitality, their challenge remains how to remain high-touch in a high-tech environment,” said Hudson Riehle, the National Restaurant Association’s senior vice president for research and knowledge. If they’re not careful, restaurants could jettison the one thing that kept people coming through the doors.

“Being a service industry, and the need to deliver a personalized experience, means that many of the restaurant operators focus on ensuring that the overall customer experience remains competitive,” Riehle said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/capitalbusiness/minimum-wage-offensive-could-speed-arrival-of-robot-powered-restaurants/2015/08/16/35f284ea-3f6f-11e5-8d45-d815146f81fa_story.html

jerowacik
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 02:44:56 AM

interesting sales system, all
served by a robot. The world
has become very modern. but
can you imagine how we can
interact and chat with the
robot. I'm not sure it could be
the best option at this time .. I
think 20-30 years away it is
very possible
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 09:42:11 PM

UAW Threatens Strike at Fiat Chrysler

The United Auto Workers is threatening to strike Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV by Wednesday night, signaling a breakdown in efforts to salvage a labor deal widely rejected by members last week.

The UAW, representing 40,000 Fiat Chrysler employees in the U.S., said it plans to strike if it can’t reach a deal by Wednesday at midnight, at which time a contract extension expires. If the union follows through on its threat, it would represent the first walkout in a contract against a U.S. auto maker since before the Detroit car companies filed for bankruptcy in 2009.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/uaw-threatening-strike-at-fiat-chrysler-1444150802

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 05:41:15 PM

Robot reporter Wordsmith begins its advance

The Associated Press made waves last year with its decision to use a technology that generates articles about public companies' quarterly earnings results as opposed to having reporters write such coverage.

Now the company behind that technology is making a push for its software to be used more widely among a broader array of news organizations, as well as other types of companies.

North Carolina-based Automated Insights is rolling out a new version of its 8-year-old Wordsmith technology, which can automate news coverage that is based on data like financial statements or sports statistics.

Until now, Wordsmith has only been available through expensive and complex custom packages like Automated Insights' project with the AP, which also was an investor in Automated Insights.

Tuesday marks the beginning of free trials of the new, simplified version of Wordsmith. (Think of it as buying Microsoft Word as opposed to splurging on a customized proprietary word-processing platform.) It enables anyone with data to turn that data into narratives without humans having to write them.

About a dozen news outlets, from large mainstream players to smaller hometown publishers, have already been beta-testing Wordsmith 2.0 in recent weeks, and several are expected to be attached to the official debut early next year, said Automated Insights C.E.O. Robbie Allen. He declined to name them, citing non-disclosure agreements.

The use of automation and algorithms to assist in reporting has become increasingly common in newsrooms, according to a recent report by the Nieman Foundation, gaining prominence in part thanks to companies like Automated Insights and competitor Narrative Science.

While Wordsmith could appeal to sectors ranging from e-commerce to real estate to business intelligence, media has been one of its target demographics. Automated Insights says Wordsmith has generated more than a billion articles, stories and reports to date. Aside from the AP, existing media clients include Comcast and Yahoo.

News organizations could use the new version of Wordsmith to crank out a high volume of stories on anything from regional employment statistics to high school sports scores, said Allen, an author and former engineer who founded Automated Insights in 2007. (The technology was officially coined Wordsmith in 2014.)

One area in particular that Allen expects news outlets will use Wordsmith for in the coming months is coverage of the 2016 elections.

"With an election year coming up, there's been quite a bit of interest," said Allen. He gave an example of generating candidate bios based on data sets that would include information like what schools a candidate attended, a candidate's voting records and how much money he or she has raised. Automated Insights gave POLITICO a Wordsmith demonstration that generated news articles about hypothetical state senate races.

"We're talking to some folks about election results," said Allen. "Politics is a good example because there tends to be a lot you're trying to cover at the same time. As the data's coming in around polling and the results themselves, stories can be told about that even quicker."

The idea, said Allen, is not to replace journalists, but to create more content more quickly than humans could do on their own, thereby enabling writers and reporters to focus on stories than can't be automated by a machine.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/media/2015/10/8580048/robot-reporter-wordsmith-begins-its-advance

Corealz

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 05:55:05 PM

American workers are spoiled by their high pay for jobs that monkeys can do. I welcome our new Robot overlords.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: