Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:38:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I change my password if it's like a brick wall?  (Read 1448 times)
BrickWall (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 03:58:34 PM

My password is like a brick wall reinforced with steel bars. I have written it down manually and type it in manually every time I use it. It's over 100 characters long. Special characters, capitals letters and numbers are all included. Its a randomly generated password.

Am I in risk of losing more data? my understanding they would need to still bruteforce the password because its not stored in plain text in the database. Which being realistic is almost impossible and would take hundreds of years.

Should I change my password?
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 03:59:51 PM

Yes. build another brick wall. The attacker(s) have a salted copy of your password and it ain't made of brick.  Smiley

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 04:01:01 PM

imho is just good practice to change password. even they were somehow crypted and you are using this big ass long phrase, it takes few minutes and better safe then sorry..

you are writing down manually over 100 characters every time you used it? such paranoia..
X7
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 04:03:32 PM

My password is like a brick wall reinforced with steel bars. I have written it down manually and type it in manually every time I use it. It's over 100 characters long. Special characters, capitals letters and numbers are all included. Its a randomly generated password.

Am I in risk of losing more data? my understanding they would need to still bruteforce the password because its not stored in plain text in the database. Which being realistic is almost impossible and would take hundreds of years.

Username checks out

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul?
Athertle

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Go figure! | I'm nearing 1337 posts...

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2015, 04:19:03 PM

Yes. Especially if you use the password for other sites as well.

Which being realistic is almost impossible and would take hundreds of years.

Realistically speaking? It would take quadrillions on quadrillions of years for the average bruteforcer.

botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 04:27:53 PM

It's over 100 characters long. Special characters, capitals letters and numbers are all included. Its a randomly generated password.

Why?
If what you say is true, your password should be safe.

Code:
Estimated time (conservative) for an attacker to break randomly-constructed
bitcointalk.org passwords with current technology

s=second; m=minute; h=hour; d=day; y=year; ky=1000 years; My=1 million years

Password length  a-z  a-zA-Z  a-zA-Z0-9  <all standard>
              8    0      3s        12s              2m
              9    0      2m        13m              3h
             10   8s      2h        13h             13d
             11   3m      5d        34d              1y
             12   1h    261d         3y            260y
             13   1d     37y       366y            22ky
             14  43d   1938y       22ky             1My
             15   1y   100ky        1My           160My
-------------------------------------------------------
         1 word  0
        2 words  0
        3 words  0
        4 words  3m
        5 words  19d
        6 words  405y
        7 words  3My
emelac

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 08:40:13 PM

How did you ensure it's random? If you used software then it might not be properly random. You need to use dice or a random number generator to make it properly random.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2015, 10:40:49 PM

Get a password generator then you'll never have to remember or type it in. And can change it as often as you like with no consequences on your end.

expert4knowledge

Activity: 826

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 06:14:00 AM

Get a password generator then you'll never have to remember or type it in. And can change it as often as you like with no consequences on your end.
Can you tell more details about the password generator you are taking about?

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
              ▄███▌ █
             ▀▀▀██▄  █
           ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
          █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄██ ███▄    █
        ▐███▀   ▀█   █
        ████     █   █
       ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
       ▀▄▄███▌      █
   ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
 ▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
               █  ▄▀
               ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
  ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
   ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄  ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
    ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
   ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
     ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
     ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████  ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
     █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
     ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                                ▄█████
                                                                            ▄███████▀
                                                                            ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
  LIGHTPAPER...
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
dsattler
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 06:28:58 AM

You could use the free password manager keepass2, it has a built-in password generator:
http://keepass.info

Bitcointalk member since 2013! Smiley
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2015, 07:02:24 AM

You could use the free password manager keepass2, it has a built-in password generator:

Last pass is a good one as thery never store your master pass.

sdp

Activity: 469
Merit: 281

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2015, 01:58:11 PM
Last edit: May 29, 2015, 02:54:00 PM by sdp

What if keypass goes down?  I added one of my passwords to a password manager site and then later I couldn't log in.  A trojan in your computer could read a passwords.txt file and then upload it to a command and control server.  If you put it into the browser, it really is the same problem.   Ultimately, a trojan could keylog your password in.  I had a ten character password and according to grc's password haystack's page that was two weeks of super computer hacking.  Now, considering everytime you add an interesting character you multiply the time it takes by the key space, one hundred should be more than enough.

I copied the 63 random ASCII printable characters at the password generator at www.grc.com and put it into the password haystack's page at the same domain and got this for a massive offline super computer scenario:

1.27 hundred thousand trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion centuries

P.S.: The reason for changing frequently though is so in case your plain text password gets out, the attacker will lose control of your account as soon as you change your password.

Coinsbank: Left money in their costodial wallet for my signature.  Then they kept the money.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2015, 02:07:29 PM

What if keypass goes down?  I added one of my passwords to a password manager site and then later I couldn't log in.  A trojan in your computer could read a passwords.txt file and then upload it to a command and control server.  If you put it into the browser, it really is the same problem.   Ultimately, a trojan could keylog your password in.  I had a ten character password and according to grc's password haystack's page that was two weeks of super computer hacking.  Now, considering everytime you add an interesting character you multiply the time it takes by the key space, one hundred should be more than enough.

I copied the 63 random ASCII printable characters at the password generator at www.grc.com and put it into the password haystack's page at the same domain and got this for a massive offline super computer scenario:

1.27 hundred thousand trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion centuries

You should read up on the security on some of the password managers, it's pretty impressive, but nothing is perfect. The entire database is encrypted, typing the master password supports Secure Desktop, and the autotype functionality also fools most keyloggers with Two Channel AutoType. Also supports two factor with a master file, which can be on a USB stick or wherever else.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 02:10:58 PM

What if keypass goes down? 
By default Keepass is kept locally.
dsattler
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 06:04:40 PM

What if keypass goes down?  I added one of my passwords to a password manager site and then later I couldn't log in.  A trojan in your computer could read a passwords.txt file and then upload it to a command and control server.  If you put it into the browser, it really is the same problem.   Ultimately, a trojan could keylog your password in.  I had a ten character password and according to grc's password haystack's page that was two weeks of super computer hacking.  Now, considering everytime you add an interesting character you multiply the time it takes by the key space, one hundred should be more than enough.

You should read up on the security on some of the password managers, it's pretty impressive, but nothing is perfect. The entire database is encrypted, typing the master password supports Secure Desktop, and the autotype functionality also fools most keyloggers with Two Channel AutoType. Also supports two factor with a master file, which can be on a USB stick or wherever else.

This.

And: don't forget that keepass is open source. You can fetch the source files, inspect the code and build your own keepass.exe!

Bitcointalk member since 2013! Smiley
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2015, 09:23:40 PM

You'll need to make sure to be careful of cheeky gecko squad members trying to DDoS your password, really you should be preparing your password security about 36-48 months before conception if you want any real chance of being able to have a secure password. Based on that, I think you have to change your password unfortunately.

In all seriousness in case someone tries to mug me for having a joke, no.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 10:00:18 PM

whoa thanks dude, never know this software exist before
finally i don't need to remember all of my password now  Grin
DropsOfJupiter

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2015, 11:08:29 PM

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread, but I need some opinions.

I store my passwords in a text file (over three hundred passwords) in a non-OS drive on my PC.
I usually just copy paste when logging at any site, so I don't think I should worry about keyloggers, right?
My password is a random 8-15 characters alphanumeric+symbol combo, so that's pretty secure, right?
Trojans typical only focuses on OS drives, right?

The most amazing graphic designer in the universe
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 12:39:04 AM

I store my passwords in a text file (over three hundred passwords) in a non-OS drive on my PC.
I usually just copy paste when logging at any site, so I don't think I should worry about keyloggers, right?
My password is a random 8-15 characters alphanumeric+symbol combo, so that's pretty secure, right?

Some keyloggers can read the information in your clipboard. If you want to reduce the effectiveness of some  of these keyloggers, you should probably opt in for using a password manager. Keepass has a Two Channel AutoType feature, which can avoid some problems with keyloggers, however not all. It's a much better approach than your current method.
DropsOfJupiter

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 02:57:35 AM

Some keyloggers can read the information in your clipboard. If you want to reduce the effectiveness of some  of these keyloggers, you should probably opt in for using a password manager. Keepass has a Two Channel AutoType feature, which can avoid some problems with keyloggers, however not all. It's a much better approach than your current method.

Thank you Welsh.
One follow up question. How easy is it to compromise Keepass? Are there, and would there be, trojans capable of extracting data from Keepass, and does it communicate/send saved passwords to a server somewhere?
Sometimes I wish retinal scanning tech or something along that lines becomes widely adopted and we can completely dispense with passwords. Smiley

The most amazing graphic designer in the universe
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: