Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:10:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Generate power from thermoelectric generator on a miner  (Read 3081 times)
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2015, 12:19:12 AM

Would it be possible to use a Thermoelectric Generator, similar to what is used in space probes but instead on the cooling system of mining rigs, in order to produce electricity to reduce the cost of electricity? How effective would this be and would it have a significant impact on the electric bill?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 07:15:23 AM

Would it be possible to use a Thermoelectric Generator, similar to what is used in space probes but instead on the cooling system of mining rigs, in order to produce electricity to reduce the cost of electricity? How effective would this be and would it have a significant impact on the electric bill?

What is setup cost?  Most forms of generating energy have a high initial cost. 

The initial cost makes it hard if not impossible to compete against those using cheap electricity.   Normally they just don't make sense as an investment.
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2090
Merit: 1396

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 05:09:02 PM

Yes its possible...but the economics makes no sense. Best case you could probably recover 25% of the heat back into electricity. So lets say for an S5 you recover 200 watts, that would end up being roughly $15-20 a month in electric savings. 200 watts worth of thermoelectric generators would cost you about how much an S5 costs now. It would take you 2 years to ROI. Better off putting that money in a new more efficient miner.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 05:39:43 PM

Yes its possible...but the economics makes no sense. Best case you could probably recover 25% of the heat back into electricity. So lets say for an S5 you recover 200 watts, that would end up being roughly $15-20 a month in electric savings. 200 watts worth of thermoelectric generators would cost you about how much an S5 costs now. It would take you 2 years to ROI. Better off putting that money in a new more efficient miner.

It really is hard to justify the cost upfront.  Unless you have a amazing deal and a deal on taxes or something, it does not work out.   Miners just use a lot of electricity so you need a bigger system then you would normally.

If you do it really really long term it might pay off if your able to sell extra to electricity company.  But your talking about a lot of time and money.
SerialLain

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 02:55:35 PM

Thermoelectric generators (TEG) have low conversion efficiency, below 5% at temperature differentials of 80 deg C.

TEGs would recover a tiny fraction of the power used to drive the miners, basically the ROI for the generators would be poor to none.

If you are interested in generating power with TEG then I would recommend using geothermal sources or solar heating solutions, they would have the required temp. differentials and abundance of power.
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 02:19:56 AM

Thermoelectric generators (TEG) have low conversion efficiency, below 5% at temperature differentials of 80 deg C.

some quick reading on wikipedia and youll find this true; typical TEG's have 5-8% efficiency, pretty bad. factor in the "efficiency" of the energy to heat produced by the miner, and you get an even lower value. hard to justify the investment for a TEG setup with these values.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
Firecircle09

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 02:23:07 AM

is there a solar miner availiable?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 06:59:00 AM

you mean a small panel integrated in the miner? like those casio's watchers? would be cool indeed, but i doubt something like this could work, you need al the other stuff, and a battery for that

while casio's watchers, works with a non existing wattage, miners are another different story
BitBlitz

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 03:09:04 AM

Don't do it, man!  That's like plugging an extension cord into itself.  You never know what kind of entropy loop-of-doom could be unleashed...

Grin

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 07:37:19 AM

Very low percentages can be recovered from the waste heat under lab conditions so there is little hope it would working for mining rigs. It would not pay for itself see what Marto74 tried to do at BTCJam people were too smart to invest in that losers of a scam idea.

https://btcjam.com/listings/35145-mining-equipment-heat-to-power-recuperation-project

There are some numbers of people looking at any angle to screw people over. Be very careful of anyone associated with Marto74 like projects.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2015, 08:58:09 PM

Very low percentages can be recovered from the waste heat under lab conditions so there is little hope it would working for mining rigs. It would not pay for itself see what Marto74 tried to do at BTCJam people were too smart to invest in that losers of a scam idea.

https://btcjam.com/listings/35145-mining-equipment-heat-to-power-recuperation-project

There are some numbers of people looking at any angle to screw people over. Be very careful of anyone associated with Marto74 like projects.
This thread was completely theoretical. I just wanted some opinion on the feasibility of this since I don't quite understand electronics and electrical engineering. Hopefully some day TEGs will be efficient enough that this could be feasible. Or miners can be made more efficiently to draw less power and produce less heat.

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 09:44:28 PM

This thread was completely theoretical. I just wanted some opinion on the feasibility of this since I don't quite understand electronics and electrical engineering. Hopefully some day TEGs will be efficient enough that this could be feasible. Or miners can be made more efficiently to draw less power and produce less heat.
No.

This thread is insufficiently theoretical. It is a classic example of preying on the uneducated and undereducated. If I remember correctly the 2nd law of thermodynamics is taught in decent schools around 8-9 grade. So anyone who would fall for it has a mental capacity of approximately 15 years old high-school student.

Since 1824 the theoretical limit of efficiency of any theoretically ideal heat engine is well known:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnot%27s_theorem_(thermodynamics)

So assuming the hot side at the temperature of boiling water (371K) and the cold side at the room temperature (300K) one gets the theoretical unattainable efficiency of about 20%.

The only progress that can really occur is in education.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2015, 10:12:17 PM

No.

This thread is insufficiently theoretical. It is a classic example of preying on the uneducated and undereducated. If I remember correctly the 2nd law of thermodynamics is taught in decent schools around 8-9 grade. So anyone who would fall for it has a mental capacity of approximately 15 years old high-school student.
Theoretical in that I have no plans of implementing such a thing and I am not encouraging nor claiming that this is a good idea at all.

nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 03:41:30 AM

Don't do it, man!  That's like plugging an extension cord into itself.  You never know what kind of entropy loop-of-doom could be unleashed...

Grin
The very fabric of reality could well be torn asunder!! :p

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 06:48:28 AM

some quick reading on wikipedia and youll find this true; typical TEG's have 5-8% efficiency, pretty bad. factor in the "efficiency" of the energy to heat produced by the miner, and you get an even lower value. hard to justify the investment for a TEG setup with these values.

I think you meant efficacy of the miners.  Their heat efficiency is pretty much 100% since they're not generating matter  Grin

In most places, fossil fuels are still the most economical heat source but they're not 100% efficient since the polluted exhaust causes heat loss from the heating system.  For electrical systems this can often be dumped into the ambient air that is being heated.
brioche

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 04:25:48 AM

I don't think there is a solar miner available but you can use certainly buy some panels to install yourself for generating power to partially fuel a rig. I wouldn't suggest going solar only because even MR. Sunshine goes to bed Tongue

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
North Carolina ❖ First in Flight ❖ /   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 11:37:12 PM

Grin
The very fabric of reality could well be torn asunder!! :p

I did the plugging an extension cord into itself once purely by accident. Before I knew what was happening a small black hole began forming and started to pull me in. Due to my quick thinking I was able to reach out and unplug the loop and the black hole instantly vaporized. Except for a few knocked over paint cans and a missing shoe, I was no worse for wear after the incident. It still give me shudders to think I could have destroyed the world had it not been for my quick reflexes. Wink
armedmilitia

Activity: 562
Merit: 506

We're going to need a bigger heatsink.

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 12:53:43 AM

A lot of you guys are doubters, say that its not worth it. Screw the haters. I just placed an order for sidehack's usb miner, and I just placed an order for a fucking peltier device. Cost me 2 bucks on aliexpress.

Game plan:
  • Take off the heatsink
  • Duct tape on a peltier module
  • Let the magic happen

I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to electronics, but next month I will come back to this thread, and I will fucking deliver. With pictures of the miner I probably just destroyed.

Always use escrow. OgNasty is pretty sweet.

Help me out with compiling a list of mining datacenters!
valkir
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 01:43:55 AM

Love that!  Grin I was also planning to do that but on a yellowjackt miner not on the new sidehack stick!  Tongue

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
gallery2000

Activity: 784

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 03:53:37 AM

How about a stationary bike that generates energy as you exercise?  This helps you lose weight and generating energy at the same time?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: