Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:52:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I being scammed by coin mama?  (Read 2251 times)
Itsybitsy42 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 08:54:25 AM

Hi guys any advice is really appreciated! I've been trying to make a test purchase of 0.2 Bitcoin from coin mama which on my searches is a relatively trustworthy site. I've gone through the verification process and submitted to buy the coin but now I have an email saying they want a video of me holding my credit card and reading just the last 4 numbers out. They said I can cover the remaining digits. This sounds so so dodgey to me but I've tried buying coin from 2 other sites now and they all want wire transfer which is nearly impossible for me due to work hours.

Shall I send them the video or is my identity being slowly stolen here!

Thanks!
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2015, 09:02:08 AM

I don't think your identity is being stolen here.

PryptoMontreal

Activity: 588
Merit: 285

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 09:05:56 AM

Hi guys any advice is really appreciated! I've been trying to make a test purchase of 0.2 Bitcoin from coin mama which on my searches is a relatively trustworthy site. I've gone through the verification process and submitted to buy the coin but now I have an email saying they want a video of me holding my credit card and reading just the last 4 numbers out. They said I can cover the remaining digits. This sounds so so dodgey to me but I've tried buying coin from 2 other sites now and they all want wire transfer which is nearly impossible for me due to work hours.

Thanks!

You can go ahead with doing this. Many sites do this as verification process. Freelancer does this too. Your identity isn't stolen by this.
PryptoMontreal

Activity: 588
Merit: 285

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 09:22:08 AM

I don't see anything wrong in here, some other sites do this as a part of their verification process. Nothing on your credentials is being stolen.

If you can see the post above you, you will see its same as yours. Stop spamming with signature on please.
Itsybitsy42 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 10:03:55 AM

Thanks so much everyone!
syuhide

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 02:25:20 PM

Thanks!

dont know about coin mama..i will recommend you to buy via localbitcoin because it sure there..and much safer..

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options and Double Dice  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~720 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, 1% edge double dice] ↑↓
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1073

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 08:00:44 PM

Thanks!

go to another site.

Coin Mama is an unknown one and you can find others that will only require pictures at most, and that are more trustworthy than Coin Mama.

Demanding you to do a video of you for 0.2 BTC is too much, in my opinion

nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 09:25:54 PM

Thanks!

go to another site.

Coin Mama is an unknown one and you can find others that will only require pictures at most, and that are more trustworthy than Coin Mama.

Demanding you to do a video of you for 0.2 BTC is too much, in my opinion

Yeowza...gotta go with jaberwock here.  The site looks nice enough, and that practice (sadly) is becoming more and more common amongst those exchanges wishing to 'comply' with pending US regulatory framework.  That being said, your also paying quite the premium for those coins on coinmama ($59.95/USD for 0.20/BTC)?  I'll give ya that deal all day long :p

Quite a few sites are starting to use a tiered sort of verification process.  In other words, the more your willing to provide them with the greater your daily purchase limit increases (i.e. Coinbase). 
I have to agree that requiring an actual video seems a bit over the top but I guess they are worried about photo doctoring or something along those lines.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
Digitalmocking

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 09:30:03 PM

Get an account on coinbase or one of the other more reputable sites.

Athertle

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Go figure! | I'm nearing 1337 posts...

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2015, 11:46:12 PM

This thread was answered plenty of times. There's no reason to keep on attacking it with pointless answers. OP, please close.

coinmama

Activity: 37
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 10:46:23 AM

Hi! Coinmama admin here.
The request to upload a video of you came from our payment processor(note the email address it came from) and not directly from us. It's a normal procedure they conduct from time to time in order to protect themselves from credit card fraud which is a huge problem in the crypto world, This is not an AML(anti money laundering) demand as some here have suggested.
Coinmama operates for more than 2 years now with a long history of satisfied customers, if you have any doubt about uploading the video or any other questions, feel free to email us or hop on a quick Skype call with our customer support.

Have a good one  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: