Question: Do you trust Poloniex?
Yes - 67 (37.2%)
No - 53 (29.4%)
Somewhat - 50 (27.8%)
This poll sucks! - 10 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 180

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you trust Poloniex?  (Read 22334 times)
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 07:44:12 PM

The guy reading your support ticket may have limited powers and have to call someone (who he is waiting for)
I seen this like I said on another exchange and the same problem you mentioned it's not unusual on any of them really.
And don't forget we don't know publicly how they work technically and internally..
for example Mt. Gox ran a custom backend with Bitcoin so things were cut and dry / simple like we would have guessed.
And they are not going to tell you how it works behind the scenes either.. for security reasons for one thing.
Trust ? tough question I think, not black and white.
Many services have gone and started out with good intentions and later ripped us all off with BS excuses and lies and games etc.
So trust needs to be reassessed I think.

I trust Poloniex more than most.
I would watch for patterns I guess, such as if that problem is happening to a lot of guys frequently etc.

If spoetnik can share some positive words on poloniex, it should be fine at the moment Wink

Besides, Poloniex got hacked 2 years or so ago and I think they handled it quite well. Better than most would have done it.

Thanks Smiley
And yes you are 100% correct they did have an incident and they did in fact handle it REALLY well !

FUD first & ask questions later™
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lorenzo

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 10:40:08 AM

Sorry to hear about your issue with them but I have to add they are my most trusted exchange for alts, bittrex not that far behind. With poloniex your funds are safe they do seem to have problems with depositing and withdrawing some coins but you know your funds are safe. I notice the first time I had a problem I wrote multiple messages threw frustration and that was the longest they have ever took. It will get sorted soon enough, probably already is?

They might be safer than other exchanges out there but it's a bit of a stretch to say that funds kept with them are guaranteed to be safe. Many exchanges can and have been hacked in the past, and Poloniex isn't immune to this. The only true safe solution to storing funds IMO is keeping your coins locally on your computer (and preferably in cold storage) or in the form of paper wallets.

Exchanges are more or less a necessary evil though. Despite being a generally unsafe place to store your funds, they are necessary for exchanging between coins. By setting up deposits and withdrawals immediately before and after trading and not keeping your coins stored there for any longer than necessary, you can reduce (but not completely eliminate) your exposure to the risk of them getting hacked or running off with your funds (the second one is probably not a huge risk in Poloniex's case but it's definitely a major problem with shadier exchanges).

Not sure where you got me guaranteeing funds being safe. I simply said your funds are safe. You know why? Because mine have for around a year some quite large deposits and withdrawals not a single satoshi lost that is safe enough in this business. If they was hacked which I doubt because they have good security practices then people will be reimbursed.

Who said storing funds on an exchange? No one said storing funds on an exchange but maybe I should have added while trading your funds are safe, saying that though I probably do have a couple of bitcoins worth of alts on there but that is minor a small %, I never risk what I can't afford to lose as everyone should.

As I said I trust them and I would actually trust them with 50% of my holdings if I needed to but luckily that is not needed.

Point taken, although they were actually hacked (or rather someone managed to exploit a vulnerability in their withdrawal mechanism) a while ago.

From my experience Poloniex is one of the best exchanges in the cryptospace. I would wait a little while longer and see how things turns out.

In general I trust Poloniex on the same parallel as I do Bitstamp.

^ with 95% of Monero volume going through Poloniex, that's what you would say rangedriver.

I think the problems with Poloniex are:

1) It's trollbox driven, with big organized pumps pushed along through hype

2) They like to push coins that aren't traded anywhere else so that the price can be hyper-inflated for what it actually is, e.g. Maid and Monero both have 95% of their volume there.. Maid isn't even released yet but it has $7mil market cap on Polo, Monero is a clone of Bytecoin with zero development / troll devs but they manage to get $3 million marketcap for that currently on Poloniex, Stellar is another one that get's stupid-price pumped there but BTC38 sometimes has high STR vol too so I don't know how much STR price is from real demand.  So the trolls / hypsters can push these coins to ridiculous prices while the rest of the market won't touch them

I see Poloniex as the bridge between real exchanges (like cryptsy, bittrex, bitstamp, finex etc) and sh*tcoin exchanges like C-CEX - Poloniex is the best Trollbox-driven exchange and the worst 'real' exchange if it qualifies for that.

Be careful if you trade there, if you are buying because of what you read in the trollbox, make sure you check out what the volume / demand is on other exchanges (check 'markets' tab on CoinMarketCap coin pages) - if it doesn't add up, it's a troll price and you will likely be dumped on later.

As to trust, IDK, I trust them less than the big exchanges because a lot of noobs gets ripped off due to the troll-driven nature, and they support that.  So it's definately unethical, but as to doing another Moolah / Mintpal, IDK - just DONT KEEP COINS THERE YOU AREN'T TRADING Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

cheers

Lol you have no idea to say tat. Monero and Maid are in fact the only 2 alts worth investing a shitton of money long term, specially Maid. The rest are all shitty pumps and dumps.
I used to like Poloniex, until they forced people to put their real data, then I said bye.

They force people to put their data, but it doesn't have to be real. Unless you happen to be withdrawing very large amounts, they won't check in most cases.

Poloniex, Bitifinex, and Bitstamp are the only exchanges I know of that completely paid out users funds in emergency cases(hacks). A lot of the other exchanges just packed up shop and left. So yes, poloniex is trusted.

To be fair, those hacks were relatively minor hacks and highlight the importance of separating hot and cold wallets. Both Poloniex and Bitstamp lost about 12% of their total coins, while Bitfinex only lost a measly 0.5%.

I am thinking of signing up with Poloniex, for access to certain alt coins and the better volume on others.

Do they require any special verification, KYC stuff?

Thanks in advance!
H.

For withdrawing amounts under $2,000, you will need to provide your full name and country of residence. They usually won't check to see if the details you provide are correct although this will probably change if the amounts involved are very large and/or they seem suspicious.

I trust Poloniex and use it but I use Bittrex way more.

Polo was my favorite exchange until the verification regime...
But it has survived primarily by going all-in on XMR... and a few other creative Asset listings (MAID, STORJ, NXT)...
And that Troll Box Pump Machine.

For most coins Bittrex has better liquidity...
But trading both exchanges is significantly more profitable because you have 2 spreads to capture.

Frankly, I don't expect these exchanges to survive once FinCEN turns the screws on Alts...
Doing about $100,000 to $300,000/day in volume sounds like a lot...
But that's only about $500/day in fees... add listing/trading... maybe $500,000/year in revenue.

If Cryptsy really has 40-50 employees they are probably losing money....
And you can work 24/7 and break-even only for so long... then you must pull the plug like a lot of defunct exchanges.

I don't think FinCEN provides any guidance on how to treat cryptocurrencies yet. In any case, both Poloniex and Cryptsy are already registered with FinCEN as an MSBs (money service businesses) anyway so it's far more likely that they will be able to adapt to the new regulations.

Poloniex is one the most trustful exchange as far as i know. The qora wallet always have some problem in them exchange, it's almost a year. It's never changed. So don't worry about it.

The problems with their Qora wallet were fixed recently. OP's problem seems to have been unrelated to the previous issues:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1077360.msg11508044#msg11508044
freakying99

Activity: 429

Pythagoras and Plato are my brothers.

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 10:51:16 PM

looks like 50% like poloniex. Im surprised to see it that high, but then again, people were still using gox even though they could not withdraw money.
So really im not that surprised.
TheMystic

Activity: 171
Merit: 12

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 02:20:35 AM

looks like 50% like poloniex. Im surprised to see it that high, but then again, people were still using gox even though they could not withdraw money.

I guess any exchange could be compared to MtGox, but what's an alternative? I guess we could stand on the street corner and trade coins, but how do I know you're not going to pull out a gun and Rob me of my coins?

► ClipX ◄ ♦ The World’s first Blockchain E-Learning Platform ♦ ► ClipX ◄
───●♦●───●♦●───●♦●───●♦●───●♦●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●♦●───●♦●───●♦●───●♦●───●♦●───
Website◂ | ▸Twitter◂ | ▸Instagram◂ | ▸Facebook◂ | ▸Telegram◂ | ▸LinkedIn◂ | ▸Youtube◂ | ▸Whitepaper
hendra147

Activity: 644
Merit: 509

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 02:35:02 AM

are you think poloniex will be next gox ?
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 05:48:21 AM

Yes, I trust them, even if they don't like me anymore

tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 09:59:14 AM

You should not trust any decentralized exchange or sites in common. But compared to other exchanges, Polo has made a good job so far.
i don't trust them, but it gives me a better feeling trading on Polo platform than on others. Never hold coins for a longer period on those platforms.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 08:30:56 PM

Yes, I trust them, even if they don't like me anymore

sounds like me and Cryptsy when I mentioned their *points market exploit.
I got a one year chat ban LOL
they did not close my account though.
I used the word "hack" and that really set them off..
I repeated all of what I heard from people on their chat box.. (I was not around when the incident happened)
NOTE:
I got a chat ban for what I said here on the forum, NOT what I said on their chat box.

Every time I see this topic or similar I quickly think of the times when deposits etc get locked at what seems like fishy times / circumstances.
And this goes for ALL exchanges I have used.. for example I have seen guys say it was fishy how when BTC rocketed up..
every big spike that started all of a sudden Cryptsy would have massive withdrawal problems (couple years ago back when BTC was $90 each roughly)
BCX brought this up and the topic(s) are still here on the forum talking about it..
I seen the same thing independently on my own and it got so bad that I started predicting their withdrawal problems on chat
and then I would take my coins out in advance and then warn others.. wait and see guys, and sure enough LOL
I called "fishy" and many others have too..
Not a bash on Cryptsy because I have seen the same type of crap across Crypto on any exchanges.
and THAT is what I think when I think "trust" with exchanges..
Its far too easy for them to freeze markets or withdrawals etc to manipulate things to make huge amounts of money !

FUD first & ask questions later™
moko666

Activity: 635
Merit: 500

BlasterKVs the king of xbox modding

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 08:48:26 PM

yes i do trust poloniex, its one of the best altcoin exchange operating from USA, it recently added margin trading feature
lazi

Activity: 695

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 10:00:27 PM

Trusting a exchange is a bit difficult...
I will never trust a exchange!
Shockaftermoon

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

beatcoin team leader

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2016, 03:18:41 PM

support  beats to be added in poloniex :wink:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1625301.60

AsaroUk

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 07:32:59 PM

I like polo ...... but it doesn't mean automatically that I trust it. I do, however, trust it more than some other smaller exchanges such as ccex.

One problem I have in polo is that there are too many trade bots there. For example, in their LTC market, human usually can't put buy or sell order on the top.

I also use Polo and I think that they are okay and can be trusted sometimes but its stays risky with all these exchangers no doubts about that people.
0day

Activity: 742

Hire me for your campaign management.

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 09:41:03 PM

I have a full trust on poloniex as I did not face any problem from that exchange and I am happy with that trading platform. some amunt of my trade is from that exchange. But still I do not like to store my funds on any exchange so for storing my bitcoins I do not trust on poloniex or any other exchange.

Hire me for your campaign management
RobinHoodster

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 03:37:23 AM

I trust it partly but what people already said is true that its hard to trust an exchange platform because it stays a sort of risky.
I think that we can trust it but you always have to play it safe without any doubts.
OrangeSeller

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 07:56:40 AM

I have a full trust on poloniex as I did not face any problem from that exchange and I am happy with that trading platform. some amunt of my trade is from that exchange. But still I do not like to store my funds on any exchange so for storing my bitcoins I do not trust on poloniex or any other exchange.
Good Point.. never store your coins on a exchanger's wallet.. the exchanger itself is very trusted and reputed.. but they are always in risk to be hacked and if you have coins in that's account. you can loose all your saving it any incident like that happen..
it already happened with bitfinex and thousands of people lost their money.. so being careful is more smarter than regretting latter..
robertkedves

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 11:07:29 AM

I use Poloniex for a very long time. So far, never had problems with them.

But as I saw in other replies, never hold your coins for a long time on polo. You'll never now when they will be hacked or something like that.

"Poloniex is safe, until is not" Smiley)
kanazawa

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 04:30:42 PM

Yes. I trust. In a fact, I use Poloniex since it beggining and at least to me their job seems pretty well. I saw many flaws in other exchange services likd bittrex and bleutrade, but none in Poloniex. Some delays are acceptable because all systems are growing. So, to me it's fine.

]░░░░░░▄▄███████████▄▄
░░░░▄███▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀██▄
░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
░░███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
██░█░░░░░░░█▀▀▀█░░░░░░░░░█░██
█▌░█░░░░░░░█░░░█░░░░░░░░░█░▐█
█▌░░█░░░░░░██▀▀▀░░░░░░░░█░░▐█
█▌░▄▄░░░░░░█░█░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▐█
███▀░░░░░░░█░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░▀███
██▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄██
░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
░░░░▀██▄▄█▄░░░░░░░▄█▄▄██▀
░░░░░░░▀▀███████████▀▀

]░░░░░░▄▄███████████▄▄
░░░░▄███▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀██▄
░░███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
██░█░░░░░░░█▀▀▀█░░░░░░░░░█░██
█▌░█░░░░░░░█░░░█░░░░░░░░░█░▐█
█▌░░█░░░░░░██▀▀▀░░░░░░░░█░░▐█
█▌░▄▄░░░░░░█░█░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▐█
███▀░░░░░░░█░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░▀███
██▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄██
░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
░░░░▀██▄▄█▄░░░░░░░▄█▄▄██▀
░░░░░░░▀▀███████████▀▀

Wandering Soul~

Activity: 406

Wolf

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 05:18:59 PM

My experience in poloniex was the best and I didn't have and problems with it so YES I trust poloniex but not completely cause It will not change the fact that all exchange sites are risky .

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion

▄▄▄▄▄          ▄▄██████▄
 ▄█▀▀▀▀▀█▄      ▄███▀▀   ▀██
 ▀       ▀     ██▀
    ▄███▄          ▄█████▄
   ███████ █      █████████
           █
          █     █▄            ▄█
█▄       █      ▀██▄▄      ▄▄██▀
 ███▄▄▄▀▀█▄▄▄███▀ ▀▀██████████
  ██ ██▄ ▀▀▄███▄    ▄▄▄██  ██
   ██ ▀█████▀ ▀██████▀▀▀  ██
    ██                ▄▄  ██
     ██  ▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀▀    ██
      ██    ███
       ██   ███
        ██   ███
Highly Secure
Instant Confirmations
Secure Wallet
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
morantis

Activity: 868
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 05:24:14 PM

I trust them as much as any other exchange that has been around for a while.  I have used them on and off for a couple trades because when dealing with alt coins, you have to use a handful of sites.  some coins only make it to one exchange and if you want to do anything with that coin, then you need to use that exchange, lol.

i has not had an issue with them in any trade that i have done.  some exchange to exchange withdrawals or deposits can take time, a lot of time, that is the issue with the exchange creating the TX and controlling the wallets.  polo did fine, but one of the sites that i sent coins in from apparently used a very small fee and it took forever. 

polo uses a smaller base of coins than some of the others and often is one of the few forums that will pick up a new coin that is getting popular.  i would recommend using them as much as any other, but yes, any time that someone else is dealing with your money, things can happen, whether intentional or accidental
0day

Activity: 742

Hire me for your campaign management.

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 05:46:38 PM

Good Point.. never store your coins on a exchanger's wallet.. the exchanger itself is very trusted and reputed.. but they are always in risk to be hacked and if you have coins in that's account. you can loose all your saving it any incident like that happen..
it already happened with bitfinex and thousands of people lost their money.. so being careful is more smarter than regretting latter..

Yeah it is after the hack of bitfinex when I decided to remain away from exchanges for to store my bitcoins. before that I had some good amount of bitcoins on different exchanges. and a few days ago I heard from one of my friend that xapo has locked his account and asked him for verification documents to get access to his account. I think t will also be better to stay away from online wallets like that as it is not good for bitcoins bitcoin promise for anonymity.

Hire me for your campaign management
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: