Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:03:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Reality of Masternode Centralization  (Read 7866 times)
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 10:15:09 PM

So you believe LEAs won't subpoena, coerce, or just ask hosting companies to provide billing information? How many instamine recipients own the nodes in Germany, or France, or the USA? If you had only those three countries supplying node intel, you'd have over 80% of all masternode traffic.

So what ? They can probably get that just by reading bitcointalk.

It's not the machine that hosts the masternode that matters strategically, it's the anonymous address that hosts its collateral. Blockchain daemons can disappear and pop-up anywhere, hosters can have open access to masternodes for all anyone cares - it's decentralised remember ?

The "Evil NSA" doesn't need to hack into any hosting company's virtualised servers to get access to a masternode daemon, they can just download one from here and run it themselves.

P.S. Notice something about that page by the way ? It contains the official Dash client, complete with hash's so you can conclusively verify your download is not(a hacked-to-peices wallet that's showing you a JPEG of a phony balance from a blockchain that has no support for public consensus to endorse its veracity or otherwise)  Wink

Thats because in crypto, to any self respecting developer, the meer idea of "third party wallets" is synonymous with third party "please-help-yourself-to-my-money" tech, so an official, native, clean, verified, GUI client is usually the first order of business, not the last.

Dashers learn to make private nodes and how to obfuscate your IPs--too hard? Then give up the anonymity game--you already lost.

Sorry, but in crypto (unlike fiat) preventing people from seeing and verifying the anonymous addresses at each end of a transaction is not anonymity - it's monetary clownery.

Nice subject title though - "The reality of masternode centralisation". That sure took some creativity. Your next assignment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(public_relations)

Read again. I showed how masternodes could be compromised by using gleaned information from the hosting company, not by compromising the servers themselves.

If you compromise a masternode, you can trace part of the mixing. And the more masternodes you compromise the more you can trace. The rest of your argument is the spin you are accusing me of. Even if LEA owned all of the Monero nodes they wouldn't be able to trace a transaction any better than if they were watching the blockchain--if you don't get why this is better anonymity, I feel sorry for you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BlockaFett

Activity: 392
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 10:36:10 PM

So you believe LEAs won't subpoena, coerce, or just ask hosting companies to provide billing information? How many instamine recipients own the nodes in Germany, or France, or the USA? If you had only those three countries supplying node intel, you'd have over 80% of all masternode traffic.

It's not the machine that hosts the masternode that matters strategically, it's the anonymous address that hosts its collateral. Blockchain daemons can disappear and pop-up anywhere, hosters can have open access to masternodes for all anyone cares - it's decentralised remember ?

The "Evil NSA" doesn't need to hack into any hosting company's virtualised servers to get access to a masternode daemon, they can just download one from here and run it themselves.

P.S. Notice something about that page by the way ? It contains the official Dash client, complete with hash's so you can conclusively verify your download is not(a hacked-to-peices wallet that's showing you a JPEG of a phony balance from a blockchain that has no support for public consensus to endorse its veracity or otherwise)  Wink

Thats because in crypto, to any self respecting developer, the meer idea of "third party wallets" is synonymous with third party "please-help-yourself-to-my-money" tech, so an official, native, clean, verified, GUI client is usually the first order of business, not the last.

Dashers learn to make private nodes and how to obfuscate your IPs--too hard? Then give up the anonymity game--you already lost.

Sorry, but in crypto (unlike fiat) preventing people from seeing and verifying the anonymous addresses at each end of a transaction is not anonymity - it's monetary clownery.

Nice subject title though - "The reality of masternode centralisation". That sure took some creativity. Your next assignment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(public_relations)

Read again. I showed how masternodes could be compromised by using gleaned information from the hosting company, not by compromising the servers themselves.

If you compromise a masternode, you can trace part of the mixing. And the more masternodes you compromise the more you can trace. The rest of your argument is the spin you are accusing me of. Even if LEA owned all of the Monero nodes they wouldn't be able to trace a transaction any better than if they were watching the blockchain--if you don't get why this is better anonymity, I feel sorry for you.

Kind of laughable to talk about Monero 'anonymity' when you have 50% of users typing Monero transactions into your core-devs website on his closed-source server wired up with Google Analytics,  Generalize.  And sorry I didn't read how you think you can compromise Masternodes, i know from experience what your analysis is like and life is too short Smiley
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 10:39:22 PM

P.S. Notice something about that page by the way ? It contains the official Dash client, complete with hash's so you can conclusively verify your download is not(a hacked-to-peices wallet that's showing you a JPEG of a phony balance from a blockchain that has no support for public consensus to endorse its veracity or otherwise)  Wink

Kind of laughable to talk about Monero 'anonymity' when you have 50% of users typing Monero transactions into your core-devs website on his closed-source server wired up with Google Analytics,  Generalize.  And sorry I didn't read how you think you can compromise Masternodes, i know from experience what your analysis is like and life is too short Smiley

Where are you getting this absurd 50% from? 

celestio

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 10:42:19 PM

Just stop responding to BlockaFett, the guy uses false #'s and wild speculations in every post he makes, which makes him either a troll or a very dumb man.

Edit: BlockaFett is 100% a troll, his level of stupidity cannot possibly be real

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 10:44:30 PM

You're right, if you don't care that your coin is or isn't very anonymous, then why should anyone else care? Sorry you can't be bothered with such details.

BlockaFett

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 10:46:16 PM

That is a number I read on the Monero thread at some point and in my opinion is a conservative estimate.  I don't actually know what the number is because Fluffy refuses to share that information with anyone, but I am guessing it is actually the majority of users judging by how many people complain about the client wallet on the XMR thread, how many times I see people get recommended to just use MyMonero.com, and how new users looking to download the wallet get presented with this:

BlockaFett

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 10:49:10 PM

You're right, if you don't care that your coin is or isn't very anonymous, then why should anyone else care? Sorry you can't be bothered with such details.

More like I know from experience that you are desperate to find something wrong with Dash.  In the last 3 months you have been jumping round a dozen different threads with "Dash is a scam because XYZ" and now you are trying to say a p2p network topology essentially the same as Bitcoin is centralized so excuse me if I don't pay too much attention.
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 10:49:45 PM

That is a number I read on the Monero thread at some point and in my opinion is a conservative estimate.  I don't actually know what the number is because Fluffy refuses to share that information with anyone, but I am guessing it is actually the majority of users judging by how many people complain about the client wallet on the XMR thread, how many times I see people get recommended to just use MyMonero.com, and how new users looking to download the wallet get presented with this:

As I thought, its something you pulled out of your ass.  Just like all your other arguments.

BlockaFett

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 10:50:58 PM

As I thought, its something you pulled out of your ass.  Just like all your other arguments.

So what is the number then, you tell me?  1%, 5%, 10%, 25%, 50%, 75%?  Can you enlighten us?  If not why not?  And in the abscence of the actual number what is the number you are comfortable with using for argument's sake?  For me it's 50% as a conservative estimate, you don't agree?
celestio

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 10:53:40 PM

Are you retarded BlockaFett? Honestly, stop making up false percentages with no basis in fact. At least troll intelligently.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
BlockaFett

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 10:59:19 PM

Are you retarded BlockaFett? Honestly, stop making up false percentages with no basis in fact. At least troll intelligently.

So the first link you get when you try to download a Monero wallet is MyMonero.com, and the second link starts with "If you have enough bandwidth...disk space...and want to run a full node"...and you think there is no basis to say estimate that 50% of people use the first option, MyMonero.com?  I disagree.

So what % do you think then Celestio?  Because at the end of the day, no one knows apart from your core-dev.  Just like no one can see inside the opaque blockchain, apart from the MyMonero.com owners if they so desire.
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 11:00:10 PM

More like I know from experience that you are desperate to find something wrong with Dash.  In the last 3 months you have been jumping round a dozen different threads with "Dash is a scam because XYZ" and now you are trying to say a p2p network topology essentially the same as Bitcoin is centralized so excuse me if I don't pay too much attention.

Wrong, I'm saying that you shouldn't have to trust a node for privacy in a coin that claims it's anonymous--masternodes have no business being in a "anonymous" cryptosystem.

And i never said dash is a scam--the claim that it wasn't instamined and the claim it is any more anonymous than Bitcoin is BS, and now i guess I'll go research instantx and see if it as claimed. Could never get this much research done without dashers like you egging me on--so thanks.  Wink

BlockaFett

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:01:48 PM

Wrong, I'm saying that you shouldn't have to trust a node for privacy in a coin that claims it's anonymous--masternodes have no business being in a "anonymous" cryptosystem.

And i never said dash is a scam--the claim that it wasn't instamined and the claim it is any more anonymous than Bitcoin is BS, and now i guess I'll go research instantx and see if it as claimed. Could never get this much research done without dashers like you egging me on--so thanks.  Wink

lol if it makes you happy Generalize, maybe you can tear-down InstantX just like you just busted the centralized decentralized P2P network....i'm sure the market is literally holding it's breath.....
BlockaFett

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:04:33 PM

from the first page of the thread:

Things to watch out for:
3. All Trollero replies to non-believers must start with "are you stupid?" and maintain the fact that everyone is stupid who doesn't "get" Monero (not any other Cryptonote clone though, even the ones with active developers and GUIs - Monero is special and the next bitcoin - FACT.

predictable...
TheDasher

Activity: 346

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:07:04 PM

DASH is a huge instamine-circlejerk-multi-scam.  Stay away but if you choose to get involved make sure you wear a rubber body suit so you dont get covered by seamen from head to toe as a result of the biggest circle-jerk in crypto history.
celestio

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:09:51 PM

Things to watch out for:
3. All Trollero replies to non-believers must start with "are you stupid?" and maintain the fact that everyone is stupid who doesn't "get" Monero (not any other Cryptonote clone though, even the ones with active developers and GUIs - Monero is special and the next bitcoin - FACT.

predictable...

Ok...

Interesting logic, so anyone that responds with an insult because of sheer annoyance to your biased, opinionated posts that hold no factual information or have no basis in fact, is what you call a "Trollero"? K, then many celebrities, billionaires, and CEO's are Monero lovers then.

BlockaFett

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:10:02 PM

DASH is a huge instamine-circlejerk-multi-scam.  Stay away but if you choose to get involved make sure you wear a rubber body suit so you dont get covered by seamen from head to toe as a result of the biggest circle-jerk in crypto history.

can't deny that's funny. good job Cheesy
TheDasher

Activity: 346

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:11:01 PM

not for the poor bastards buying into it now...
BlockaFett

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:11:13 PM

Things to watch out for:

predictable...

Ok...

Interesting logic, so anyone that responds with an insult because of sheer annoyance to your biased, opinionated posts that hold no factual information or have no basis in fact, is what you call a "Trollero"? K, then many celebrities, billionaires, and CEO's are Monero lovers then.

Ok...

the result of your dismissal is that we now can't talk about MyMonero being any kind of a problem because no one (outside the core team) knows the actual number of users and for some reason in the absence of such you won't allow anyone to use an estimate either.  

That's great....
BlockaFett

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:11:50 PM

not for the poor bastards buying into it now...

sad face Sad
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: