Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:03:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Genstake [GEN] [QT WALLET UPDATE] [STAKE-MINE] [SCRYPT] [FULL POW/POS]  (Read 37062 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
freemind1
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 10:33:25 PM

It is normal if you have the feeling of talking alone, but i assure you there are many people who read what we write. As for what 's to come i love it. Thanks for everything @ThinkingOutLoud Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 12:23:02 AM

It's tough when I feel like I'm the only one tooting our horn out there. People in Genstake seem to be accumulating and staying quiet, people out of it are playing wait and see, and I feel like I'm talking to myself sometimes - which is a little bit frustrating when I see the crazy number of people connected to the nodes and the number of unique visitors hitting the site I just put up.

Anyway, that's the big and small of it. Always looking for talented, trustworthy, and dependable developers, designers, and marketing experts that want to help out with the project;)

There have been a ton of coins that get started and then the dev drops off the face of the earth or they were always meant to be pump and dumps.  Time will tell but this is not the first time a coin has had a fairly good beginning, and this one has been very good so far, but coins that start off well and tank are all too common.  So you may well be the loudest supporter for a bit until people get some confidence in the longer term prospects of this coin.  I am both mining and staking though and there are certainly many others.

I have a question about the staking though and apologies if it was addressed earlier in the thread.  Is it based on coin age?  More specifically, if I restart my wallet will I retain my staking weight?
ThinkingOutLoud (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 01:31:43 AM

It's tough when I feel like I'm the only one tooting our horn out there. People in Genstake seem to be accumulating and staying quiet, people out of it are playing wait and see, and I feel like I'm talking to myself sometimes - which is a little bit frustrating when I see the crazy number of people connected to the nodes and the number of unique visitors hitting the site I just put up.

Anyway, that's the big and small of it. Always looking for talented, trustworthy, and dependable developers, designers, and marketing experts that want to help out with the project;)

There have been a ton of coins that get started and then the dev drops off the face of the earth or they were always meant to be pump and dumps.  Time will tell but this is not the first time a coin has had a fairly good beginning, and this one has been very good so far, but coins that start off well and tank are all too common.  So you may well be the loudest supporter for a bit until people get some confidence in the longer term prospects of this coin.  I am both mining and staking though and there are certainly many others.

I have a question about the staking though and apologies if it was addressed earlier in the thread.  Is it based on coin age?  More specifically, if I restart my wallet will I retain my staking weight?

Yes, the weight is based on age. But the age comes from how long it has been since the last time the coin moved on the blockchain, not from how long your wallet has been open. With that said, there is a limited number of coins released through Proof of Stake every day, so while you don't lose weight from having your wallet coins, you also can't mine coins - and the coins you miss out on staking today can't help you stake tomorrow.
ThinkingOutLoud (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 01:54:14 AM

I dabbled around in crypto a year or so ago. I was intrigued by it, but got putt off by all the badmouthing and inability to comprehend basic reasoning. Basically the people that you might call 'trolls'. I came to the conclusion that almost every coin was so heavily manipulated by pumpers talking about how great they were so you'd buy and trolls attacking the coin so you'd sell that it didn't seem like it was worth trading in a rigged game. I came up with this idea back then and it's just sort of been churning in the back of my head until I decided to do something about it.

But I'm confused. No one here, but me anyway, is screaming 'this is great! Everyone should check this out! Lookee here!', nor are there trolls screaming 'this is awful, garbage that is going to blow up, nobody wants this.' either. From the outside, to me at least, a year ago it would have looked like a stillborn coin scrambling for support when nobody cares - but that just doesn't match what I see on the network, so I'm confused.

Meanwhile I see other much more recently launched coins and there's people shouting from the rooftops all over twitter. It's just, odd. Trying to make heads or tails of it. That's all.
not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 04:35:13 AM

I think a lot of people are just waiting to see what happens with this coin.  The fact that you are still here and still working on improving it and adding features is about the best thing you could say about any coin and it bodes well that you are staying involved.

I am a miner so I will mine whatever is profitable.  Usually that means I trade coins for BTC.  But I am still of the opinion that BTC needs major overhaul to be an "ideal" crypto-currency and there is no way that the necessary changes it needs would ever be implemented because consensus is impossible.  So sooner or later someone will come up with that "ideal" coin (or close enough to ideal anyway) that eventually eclipses BTC because it just works as a currency better.  With that in mind I occasionally hold coins that I mine that seem like they could fit the bill.  The problem usually is that the dev disappears (or just sucks) or in the case of something like dark/dash the premine kills it.  Always something makes it less than it could be.

Personally I also find staking an attractive alternative to POW mining.  POW mining in the long run seems unsustainable for a coin because of the asic race, power consumption, and carbon foot-print.  So staking seems like a good alternative.  But pure POS or a POW start followed by pure POS still winds up being most advantageous to the early adopters which discourages later entry, especially in a market that is saturated with so many alt-coins.  The compromise of genstake is interesting in this regard so I am interested to see how it works in the long term.
ThinkingOutLoud (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 11:52:20 AM

Here's a wallet that has my WIP on 'Encrypted Messages' - though I've renamed them to Private Messages:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ee0x0nxad94owp2/GenStake%20Wip-qt.zip?dl=0

It's not an official release, nor is it necessary by any stretch, but I've made some progress with the P2P in wallet messaging system and it's somewhat practical and useful now - though there's still work to do. Here's how to use it:

First, you'll need a friend's GEN address and their 'PM Key'. Only they can give you their 'PM Key' information. This ensures that they only get messages from people that they want. Anyway. You can get your PM Key by going to your 'Receive Coins' tab and right clicking on the address you want to use for messaging.

There's a new option in the context menu "Copy PM Key". It actually copies more than your PM Key. It formats and copies your Address and PM Key so that it's all ready to paste into an email, chat window, file, etc. to send to whoever you want to have message you.

When you paste, the output will look like this:

Code:
Address: GHwVuSzYkvcATopJbumWJei1JgxAaKFxvV
PM Key:  fkCGFMd3GuLqESk3fQ37mwB5c78zQT6KEU6QXdRE6QZ1

Now once you have your friends PM Key information, just go over to private messages and click the green plus sign at the bottom 'Conversation'. A window will pop up. From there, click the little address book next to the top line to pick what address you'd like to send messages from.

Then copy and paste your friend's Address and PM key into the box below. Set a label to keep track of who you are talking to. Then type your message and click send - they should instantly receive it. As long as you're not sending from a stealth address, they'll also be able to reply to you without any more setup. From there on you're all set, you can chat privately with your friend until the cows come home, and your messages through the network will be as secure and private as your coins are.

Don't have a friend to try it out with? The address and PM Key I pasted up there is fully legit. PM me if you want to try it out and have some fun. I'll reply to everyone that messages me when I wake up tomorrow.

So what got fixed:

1. Default text color was white. I changed it to black. Now you can actually see your messages.
2. The color picker highlighted text, but there was no way to change the color of your text. I got rid of the highlighting since it was buggy anyway and made it so that the color picker changed the color of your text.
3. I added a way to actually get your keys from inside the wallet itself. Originally the only way to get your keys was through the command line.
4. Changed the selection highlighting so it wasn't so dark. Now it's a pale blue instead of dark blue.

What's left:

1. You can't copy or paste messages that have been sent or received. You can select messages, but there's no point. I'll add a right clickable menu to give you some options.
2. You can't edit the label of a chat. The sender of the first message can set a label, but if you're receiving the message, you can't set it from the chat window. That's just annoying. I'll fix that.
3. I don't like that you have to put in a person's address and key in separate boxes. It's kind of annoying. I think in the future I'll combine the whole thing into one line that you can just copy and paste once. Much simpler.

Anyway, that's about it for the moment. Drop me a line if you like it. It's only the windows wallet since it's a WIP, but if there's mac people out there that want to give it a try too just say so and I'll compile a mac wallet for you guys too.

Have fun and I'll check in when I wake up. Gnight!

Edit: The code is in the WIP branch on Github.
MineDumpNextOne

Activity: 278

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 12:52:54 AM

Can somebody upload blockchain please?
ThinkingOutLoud (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 01:06:16 AM

Are you having trouble syncing? Delete everything in your %appdata%/Genstake/ folder except for your wallet.dat file. Then create a file called genstake.conf and put only the following in it:

connect=node1.genstake.com
connect=node2.genstake.com
connect=node3.genstake.com
connect=node4.genstake.com

Should sync right up. The chain isn't that big.

Once you're sync'd up you can delete those lines from your genstake.conf file or delete the file altogether if you want.
MineDumpNextOne

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 01:09:52 AM

Are you having trouble syncing? Delete everything in your %appdata%/Genstake/ folder except for your wallet.dat file. Then create a file called genstake.conf and put only the following in it:

Once you're sync'd up you can delete those lines from your genstake.conf file or delete the file altogether if you want.

I did it several times, stuck at 10000 block.
ThinkingOutLoud (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 01:24:52 AM

What wallet version are you running? Check via help->About Genstake
MineDumpNextOne

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 01:55:26 AM

What wallet version are you running? Check via help->About Genstake

updated my wallet and synced thanks
Dexter12

Activity: 433
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 11:57:39 AM

Great work so far, Dev! Keep it up! Now we need to get more attention, it is such a shame, that GEN is trading at ~6000sat with a Coinsupply of 250.000.
I really don't know why cryptoppl love to invest in obvious Scamcoins with fancy roadmaps instead of for example this, GEN, one, with an active and impressive Dev... once more, keep up your good work! Sooner or later ppl start realizing  Smiley
freemind1
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 12:14:30 PM

Well said @Dexter12, later so many people will regret sell so cheap. They are not able to realize that here's a Dev 100% involved in the project, which helps users and cares about performance and to add more value to the coin.

Greetings!
freemind1
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 06:25:03 PM

How ironic is fate, i just need 3.5 more coins to reach 1000 Grin. Continue staking guys, and come by here from time to time  Wink
ThinkingOutLoud (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 07:17:28 PM

Sorry for the quiet guys. Busting nuts over here working on a UI update + bugfixes.
kampretkabur

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 07:59:58 PM

what is the staking reward now?
freemind1
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 08:04:04 PM

20 Gen each block @kampretkabur
@boutiuqe

Activity: 638
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 08:05:36 PM

The dump is coming.
Nothing news to the table .

Will die in a week or less.
freemind1
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 10:08:58 PM

lol yeah johncassa, the price is 11996 satoshis now Cheesy
badam

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 10:38:53 PM

It seems that there is some willing to keep the price down, i guess somebody is trying to get cheap coins...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: