Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 05:37:44 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Genstake [GEN] [QT WALLET UPDATE] [STAKE-MINE] [SCRYPT] [FULL POW/POS]  (Read 37072 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
ThinkingOutLoud (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 01:25:39 PM

Thank you for the new hosting @ThinkingOutLoud. Now hope does not fail Grin

Lol, it wont. And if it does have any issues I'll be able to deal with it immediately instead of having to send a message and cross my fingers it gets resolved quickly.
That was a good move!

We have to convince all POS-enthusiasts (and i know, there are a lot of em) to have a look at GEN.

@Thinkingoutloud: Could you pls implement  "Staking for charity"? This way everyone is able to send x% of his stake to an other address like friends, exchanges or whatever.

I'll take a look at how HBN has it implemented. I certainly don't mind implementing any feature that the community wants as long as it doesn't 'overcomplicate' the coin. My goal is ultimately for simplicity and practical, user friendly design, as I think the single worst problem in crypto is how cryptic and user-unfriendly it is when compared with other common transaction mediums.

*side ramble - no need to read.*

It kind of reminds me of Linux vs. Windows back in the day. Linux was technologically superior and far more stable than Windows, but Windows was simple and everyone and their brother had it on their computer and knew how to use it. If Linux had focused more on a simple, elegant user experience then it might have a comparable market share to OS X, maybe even more. But Linux distros were a convoluted mess that catered to the indie Linux community and not average Joe and the same is true of Crypto today.

Nobody outside of crypto-nerds understands the need for such long random addresses, or even why you should see them because they can't be typed accurately, just copied and pasted.  Check youtube for people checking out and trying to use Bitcoin - even in the best case it looks shamefully awkward while they claim it was easy. Spending coins online MUST BE easier AND more secure than using a credit or debit card. Spending coins at brick and mortar businesses MUST BE easier AND more secure than using a credit or debit card, once again. Getting over the more secure hurdle is easy enough, but in the ease of use department we're slacking hard, and that's all average Joe really cares about - that his money is safe and that he can spend it easily. Obviously there also needs to be work on a cyclic economy as well - there needs to be an economic chain where everyone that gets paid in a coin also has someone that they can pay with the coin, that way they never have to 'cash out' into some other currency.

Once we have a cryptocurrency that's easy to use, that average Joe can buy things with and wants to be paid in, then we have something. But until we have some sort of economy where average Joe can pay his rent in crypto, pay his bills in crypto, buy his groceries in crypto, buy his clothes and furnish his home with crypto, he's not really ever going to want to get paid in crypto. Of course when average Joe does want to get paid in crypto, the grocery store is going to want to start accepting crypto, landlords are going to want to start getting paid in crypto, department stores and malls will start taking crypto, etc. etc. etc. It's a cycle, and sooner or later that sort of a network is going to have to be put together - even if we have to start a small community that is dedicated to trading only in coins, and we grow things from there. If we can do that, then we have something.

And that's really where I want to go with Genstake. Not running out and trying to pump the market, or trying to convince everyone we're going to take out bitcoin and we're gonna replace fiat, blah blah blah. Grassroots. Start small. Let's just do it, get the economic blood pumping on a small scale, and just build on that. That's where I want to go with this. But first I need to run through everything I can think of in the coin to make it so simple that anybody could use it, and would be happy to use it.

I don't think we can beat cash, but I'm certain crypto, done properly, can beat cards into the second Tuesday of never.

Now some people have messaged me about getting added to various places that accept crypto. I'm not completely against that, but I'm not really for it either. Merchants and services that accept coins almost never actually hold the coins that they accept - they immediately convert out to either BTC, or more often, fiat. That just turns coins into expensive novelties.

Buyer: "I'm going to go buy XYZCoin because I can buy such and such with it."
Seller: "I'm going to sell the XYZCoin I just got paid with so I can pay my bills, employees, and restock my merchandise."

In that scenario the coin is just a ridiculous proxy for the money the buyer bought XYZCoin with and the money the seller sold XYZCoin with. The market goes nowhere, and if existing holders use their coins without rebuying them at an exchange - then the value of the coin drops when the Seller sells off. Want to know why Bitcoin isn't skyrocketing. That's it, right there. Can't pay my rent with it. Can't pay my bills. You can pay me with it, but I have to sell to pay those things. And so it is with everyone. Everyone that accepts Bitcoin has to sell at least some portion of it to pay for things. And that's even more true for Altcoins.

So how do we do it? Well maybe we get some investors together and find a way to make a town somewhere where all services and businesses accept GEN, and all the workers are paid in GEN. Bring in Farmers, Crafters, create a green-energy power plant, etc. Have it's own network hub connected to the internet, and a full online marketplace where people around the world can buy goods and services in GEN, all from this little self sustaining town. Yes it would be expensive to do, but the novelty of it all would draw media attention and tourists. People would be enthralled to see how it all works. And people would always have the option of paying in Fiat as well, and that fiat would be converted into GEN, because that's all anyone in the town would actually want anyway. Maybe in the beginning it starts as a small little off-the-grid community of a dozen families, but as the money flows into the town and stays local then it only grows from there. Anyone that knows the economics of money flowing into a self-sustaining community and not leaving that community, but rather just being traded within that community knows this is a formula for tremendous success.

Ok, I think I can step down from my fantasy soap box. But that's what I see. That's what I want for Crypto, that's what I want for Gen. Reality, not novelty.
freemind1
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 07:30:22 PM

One block in 20 hours... I start to have bad luck.

Where is the people?. Grin
Dexter12

Activity: 433
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 07:52:44 PM

One block in 20 hours... I start to have bad luck.

Where is the people?. Grin
Seems like a lot of ppl like to stake not to write Wink
Just ~60k or roughly 12% of Coinsupply is currently in Bittrexwallets, so about 88% are staking. That is not bad at all.
portice
Legendary

Activity: 999
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 09:19:00 PM

I want to live in this "town"

For real
Snovell

Activity: 76

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 06:49:40 PM

So whats next for Genstake?
freemind1
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 03:53:08 PM

@Snovell the next step is to get everyone on a yacht for a party Tongue. We have to wait for @ThinkingOutLoud and tell us what ideas he have, he must be busy.
badam

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 03:49:32 PM

Nothing new here? 30 connections in my wallet and nobody posting a word here for 3 days?
freemind1
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 03:56:21 PM

Yes @badam unfortunately. it seems the people do not want to talk or give ideas or anything. It 's a shame, i hope are encouraged to come.
badam

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 03:59:48 PM

Yes @badam unfortunately. it seems the people do not want to talk or give ideas or anything. It 's a shame, i hope are encouraged to come.

Yep but it is just strange if i take out from the nodes exchanges, explorer, etc there are still at least 25 Genstake users, who are staking and running the wallet almost 24/24 without showing any support for the coin.
freemind1
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 04:18:08 PM

In staking and running the wallet almost 24/24. I dont know where is the people and why they not support the coin  Undecided
Dexter12

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 05:20:02 PM

By staking the Coin you support the Coin  Wink

As i already pointed it out, we really have to spread the word about GEN...How about implementing themes and do a nice Theme Challenge?
Or a GENsino with slots, roullete, blackjack etc..
Try to get this Coin on cryptsy, poloniex or other exchanges to get more people involved.
I also believe that a blockexplorer hosted and created by presstab (www.presstab.pw) would bring this Coin more attention aswell.

@Thinkingoutloud
Could you pls have a look at repairwallet function, seems not working right, it doesnt clear out the Orphanblocks.

One more thing, how is it coded which blocks halve and which doesn't?
Dexter12

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 11:29:36 PM

Self hosting our explorer now. Smiley

http://explorer.genstake.com/
It is not working anymore...
freemind1
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 09:26:38 AM

I told Dev some days ago  Undecided.

Staking!
Snovell

Activity: 76

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 05:37:33 PM

is there any update here?  upcoming features?
freemind1
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 08:04:30 AM

It seems not @Snovell. We expect the Dev to say something  Wink
ThinkingOutLoud (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 11:01:00 PM

I am so sorry that I've been away. I swore that I recently checked the explorer, but the last week or so has just been a blur of personal issues for me. I'm terribly sorry, but I am back on top of things now and the explorer is back up and running.

If it is any consolation at all, I've been working on this:

badam

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 11:05:36 PM

I am so sorry that I've been away. I swore that I recently checked the explorer, but the last week or so has just been a blur of personal issues for me. I'm terribly sorry, but I am back on top of things now and the explorer is back up and running.

Nice to see you back:)

To be honest i was getting worried already
ThinkingOutLoud (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 11:12:53 PM

I completely understand. I stopped checking in so much after things went quiet after that long winded post I made. I did poke my nose in either Saturday or Sunday (I can't remember) and nothing was really going on. Figures the explorer would go down right after that:\
badam

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 11:20:34 PM

I completely understand. I stopped checking in so much after things went quiet after that long winded post I made. I did poke my nose in either Saturday or Sunday (I can't remember) and nothing was really going on. Figures the explorer would go down right after that:\

Ok i am glad you are back and working on an Android wallet as far as i can see Grin
ThinkingOutLoud (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 11:36:13 PM

Ok i am glad you are back and working on an Android wallet as far as i can see Grin

Yep yep. UI needs to be totally redone but I'm picking up where I left off which is getting qr codes working - both for sending and receiving. Once I get that done I can port the code back to the desktop wallet and get the screengrab qr sender going there, and we'll have the trifecta for inter-wallet sending between the three platforms. Once the mobile UI and QR's are down and bug free I'll work on a plugin so online businesses can seamlessly integrate it into their payment systems, meanwhile port it to IOS as well.

Still working on aliases as well, but after I made headway into android I shifted gears in that direction as I figure mobile support is more likely to generate buzz than aliases. Mind, I'm probably going to call them something different than aliases, just not sure what yet.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: