Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:31:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: theft/scamming way more profitable (and riskless) than legal businness  (Read 5757 times)
flower1024 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 07:03:16 AM

what a shame...

as a friend and me decided to offer a new bitcoin service: should we steal the coins?

seems to be more profitable: and i am not able to see any risks.

(btw: no we won't do that. we'll just make sure its impossible to steal us a huge amount. but damn morality... if you would shut up i'll be rich!)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 07:05:29 AM

what a shame...

as a friend and me decided to offer a new bitcoin service: should we steal the coins?

(btw: no we won't do that. we'll just make sure its impossible to steal us a huge amount. but damn morality... if you would shut up i'll be rich!)
Sad but true..

Don't loose faith though. There are many good people in this community who believe in this project and what it truly stands for.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 07:09:23 AM

what a shame...

Its more profitable than any other bitcoin  business for sure.

flower1024 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 07:21:07 AM

i have an idea

whenever i say i use a service you all should leave it immediatly.. i am the perfect scam detector Wink

(sorry... just in a bad mood today...)
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 08:05:38 AM

i have an idea

whenever i say i use a service you all should leave it immediatly.. i am the perfect scam detector Wink

(sorry... just in a bad mood today...)
I feel your pain
If I was an outsider looking in I'd be running in the opposite direction atm
great advertising we haven't been giving out lately :/
* Graet ignores Bitcoin Discussion and Newbies and slinks back to the mining subforum

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:33:20 AM

It is a shame.  But it is also part of the learning process that all economies must go through in order to discover the true rate of growth.  With Bitcoin, this will be especially difficult due to a number of unique factors.  Many of the scams we have seen so far have been shocking.  And it is shocking that people keep falling for them.  But the important thing is that the economy keeps growing regardless.

In fact, one of the unique reasons for so many scams is something that I've been saying for a while, that Bitcoin needs to develop local economies in order to really flourish.  It's much more difficult to steal from customers who know where you live.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
ice_chill

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 09:42:20 AM

What is the scam exactly ? I never encountered any ? maybe because I am not greedy ? Smiley
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

"theft/scamming way more profitable (and riskless) than legal businness"

Wow, it's just like in real life! With dollars and euros... i'm sure that now that's cleared up, bitcoin will flourish!

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:32:28 PM

I disagree - theft (even if you disguise it as a breakin at your service) just puts a blackmark on your reputation and thus limits future legit income.

So apart from the obvious ethics issues (which I hope I don't need to spell out), theft is actually not that profitable.
drrussellshane

Activity: 546

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:37:34 PM

I disagree - theft (even if you disguise it as a breakin at your service) just puts a blackmark on your reputation and thus limits future legit income.

So apart from the obvious ethics issues (which I hope I don't need to spell out), theft is actually not that profitable.

For it to lack profitability, theft sure is a thriving industry.

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:48:18 PM

This is only possible in an environment where you are not a mostly anonymous entity. In an environment like here you just take off that blood soaked nickname, done a new pristine squeaky clean one and you're all set up for the kill of your next juicy victim.
stick_theman

Activity: 372

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:49:45 PM

Too shortsighted.  There are too many risks being a thief.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:51:22 PM

Agreed.

As I recently posted,

Well, I can't say that the most successful bitcoin ventures haven't consisted of hacking, stealing and defrauding people. It's easy, risk free and extremely lucrative. Kind of too good to be true. Grin

If it's true and people don't find a way to make it more risky (find and punish some of the criminals, for instance), I guess Bitcoin would constitute a negative sum game in which all honest participants lose. I wonder how long such a thing could last.

I think I said similar things back when Bitcoinica was hacked. If the winners of a systems are those that destroy value, the system will not last.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:52:52 PM

Not if your customers start demanding minimum verifications. I see often in the bitcoin community, people are too easy to trust someone, without demanding
minimum level of verification. I think you better be putting up your government ID, your name address, and have them verified etc... before anyone would be willing to
do business with you.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:53:15 PM

I agree with this from a theoretical perspective but recent events have shown the existing online reputation systems are wholly insufficient for the task.

The cost-benefit ratio for scamming is skewed at the moment because the cost of obtaining a good reputation is too low so losing it doesn't provide a sufficient deterrent.

I've got a plan for fixing it though.
Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:56:12 PM

This is only possible in an environment where you are not a mostly anonymous entity. In an environment like here you just take off that blood soaked nickname, done a new pristine squeaky clean one and you're all set up for the kill of your next juicy victim.

That only works for the little guys or for the thieves who break into other people's services - if you're well-known and meeting people in-person etc it'd be difficult to get a whole new identity and maintain it at the same level.

So basically, if you're a public figure, theft is more difficult.
greyhawk

Activity: 938

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:56:30 PM

Not if your customers start demanding minimum verifications. I see often in the bitcoin community, people are too easy to trust someone, without demanding
minimum level of verification. I think you better be putting up your government ID, your name address, and have them verified etc... before anyone would be willing to
do business with you.

True enough, although you know that this doesn't happen here.

Here it's:

Smiley : "Hi, i have an offer where..."
 Tongue : "Ya? Who you think you are? Huh?"
 Smiley : ".... where I will give you 7% weekly and...."
 Tongue : "Here's the key to my safebox. Take as much as you need."
moocow1452

Activity: 240

Don't mind me.

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 03:02:06 PM

On a strictly pragmatic view, you can steal coins, get away, and no one would know the wiser, but the exact same thing can happen to you and you can't come back to the community for help. The thing you would want to do is get crowdfunded for something you are absolutely passionate about, since all the money in the world can't really make someone happy unless you're doing something with it. You get a system worked where the Bitcoin is just motivation or icing on the cake, and you can go a lot farther than anything you'd put your mind to on your own.

That, and on an ethical viewpoint, you are a douche-bag if you see your customers as resource to be farmed and nothing else. Don't be a douche-bag, or else three spirits will tie you to your bed and beat the living crap out of you come Christmas Eve. Or something.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 03:04:59 PM

From my EVE experience i know that even after 5 and more years ppl keep falling for scams. Fun fact: everytime they lose more and more money

Same apply for btc  Smiley

evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 03:06:35 PM

This is exactly why people look at bitcoin as a scam. Con artist roam free and their victims run around supporting them, shouting down reasonable discourse with a chorus of "troll".

Even now, obvious scams are operating openly, right on the heels of the pirate fiasco, and very few people are speaking out against it (unsurprisingly,many more are actively supporting the scammers)

Its sad.

I think I need another forum break.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: