Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:16:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is my bitcoin address?  (Read 1105 times)
viking02 (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

🌟 COMSA ICO: 10/02/17 🌟

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 04:57:00 PM

I used bitcoin many times to send and receive.  However each time i receive, i believe i gave the site a different btc address.  I use Electrum.  Can someone tell me what is the receiving address i should give a site when they ask for my bitcoin address to receive btc in the future?  I believe they probably want to send btc only to that address and dont want to ask me for btc address each time.

In Receiving and Used... i see 3 btc address that was used twice.  I see 5 btc address that hasn't been used.  I see under Change... 4 btc address and one of them has been used once and this address currently holds my btc.  So which btc address should i give?  Also i notice in many users here... they post their btc address in their profile.  So i could choose any of these btc addresses available?  So i could have 10btc at one address and 5 btc in another address in electrum?  Or its best to keep it all in one address?

Thank you.

,,,,╓╖µpp╖╖,,,,
                         ,╓g▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄µ╖          ,╖
                     ,╓@▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓Ñ╖    ,@▓▌
                  ,á▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓µ╫▓▓▓▌
                ╓@▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▀╜╙            '╙▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
              ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▀`                       ╙▀▓▓▓███████▌
             @▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀`            ,,,,,         ,g▓███████▀`
           ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀         ,µ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓▄@, ,@▓███████▀
          ]▓▓▓▓███▓`       ╓▄▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████████████▓╜
         ]▓▓▓▓█▓█╝       ╓▓█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████████████▀╜
         ▓▓▓▓███▌       ╙▓███████▓▒       "▀▓██████▀`
        ╫▓▓▓███▌          "▀████████▄        '▓██▀
        ▓█▓███▓▒            `▀████████▄,       `
       ]▓█████▌                ╙████████▓,
       ]▓█████▌                  ╙▓█▓█▓▓▓█▓╖
       ]▓█████▌                    ╙▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╖
        ▓█████▓[            ,,       `▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
        ▓██████[            ╓@        ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╖
        ╠██████▓          ╓▓▓▓▓m        ╙▓█▓▓▓▓▓█▓@
         ▓█████╜       ,g▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄╖╖,,,╓╖▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓
         └▓█▓╜       ,@▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████████████▓▓█▀
          '"       ╓@▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▓▓▓▓█████████████▀╙        ,
                 ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╜    ╙▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▀▀▀▀╜          ╓▓▓▓╖
               g▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓`                          ,g▓▓▓▓▓▓▓w
            ,g▓██████████▓▄,                    ,╓@▓▓█▓▓▓█▓██╜
            ▓████████████████▓▄▄p╖,,     ,,╓µ▄▄▓██████████▓╜
            ▓█████╜╙▀███████████████████████████████████▀`
            ▓██▓╜     "▀▀███████████████████████████▀╜`
            ▓▀`            ╙▀▀▀███████████████▀▀▀"
. COMSA
ICO: Oct 2 - Nov 6
█████
▄▄▄
███
███
▀▀▀
███
███
███
▀▀▀
███
███
███
█████
█████
▄▄▄▄▄
█████
█████
▀▀▀▀▀
█████
█████
█████
▀▀▀▀▀
█████
█████
█████
█████
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Athertle

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Go figure! | I'm nearing 1337 posts...

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 05:04:28 PM

Would using BlockChain.info be an option? They're a pretty decent online wallet with a static address.

ikydesu

Activity: 686

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 05:28:06 PM

I used bitcoin many times to send and receive.  However each time i receive, i believe i gave the site a different btc address.  I use Electrum.  Can someone tell me what is the receiving address i should give a site when they ask for my bitcoin address to receive btc in the future?  I believe they probably want to send btc only to that address and dont want to ask me for btc address each time.

In Receiving and Used... i see 3 btc address that was used twice.  I see 5 btc address that hasn't been used.  I see under Change... 4 btc address and one of them has been used once and this address currently holds my btc.  So which btc address should i give?  Also i notice in many users here... they post their btc address in their profile.  So i could choose any of these btc addresses available?  So i could have 10btc at one address and 5 btc in another address in electrum?  Or its best to keep it all in one address?

Thank you.

I personally used address in "Receiving" option, also i have 2 addy on "Used" option which i already used, actually you can use an addy which show in "Receiving" option and your balance is still the same, i never use an addy in "Change" option.

~iki
mayflor2

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 05:45:39 PM

Thank you.

Best practice is to create a new receiving address EACH time you receive a payment.  This way you avoid creating long transaction chains and can remain more anonymous. 

ragi

Activity: 686

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 08:31:24 PM

Best practice is to create a new receiving address EACH time you receive a payment.  This way you avoid creating long transaction chains and can remain more anonymous.
A hundred times this! Each payment you receive should be on a new address.

no.
Metadextrous

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 12:08:13 AM

What is the advantage of changing address for each payment (multi-signature) compared to a single address?  Undecided
jeannemadrigal2

Activity: 322

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 01:17:35 AM

What is the advantage of changing address for each payment (multi-signature) compared to a single address?  Undecided

If you have too many linked transactions then it is easy for a would be thief or hacker to target you.  This is a disadvantage of bitcoin.  Anonymity is not just for crooks and tax evaders, it is for everyone.  You wouldn't walk around with a sign on your back advertising how much money is in your pocket would you?  I think for most of us it is not a big deal because we don't have that  much in bitcoins.  However if you have some, even a few k worth of fiat, then it is advisable to switch your address regularly.

Also if you want to dissociate yourself with an address you can use a mixing service.  Its not just for crooks!  I have never used a mixer, and I have heard that some can be scammers so read up on them before you decide.

I think that you are confusing multi-sig and simply changing your address for your wallet.  I believe that electrum does this automatically unless you tell it not to.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 06:19:30 AM

If you have too many linked transactions then it is easy for a would be thief or hacker to target you.  This is a disadvantage of bitcoin.  Anonymity is not just for crooks and tax evaders, it is for everyone.  You wouldn't walk around with a sign on your back advertising how much money is in your pocket would you?  I think for most of us it is not a big deal because we don't have that  much in bitcoins.  However if you have some, even a few k worth of fiat, then it is advisable to switch your address regularly.

this is only true for real life thieves, hacker can do nothing if you store them in a cold wallet, no matter the amoout you are holding
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 06:50:55 AM

So i could choose any of these btc addresses available?
Generating a new address for every incoming transaction is good for privacy reasons. When address is used multiple times, the whole transaction history can be seen on block chain and a block chain analysis can reveal activities you were involved in, like gambling etc.

If you're not much paranoid about privacy, it is completely fine to use single address for multiple incoming transactions.

So i could have 10btc at one address and 5 btc in another address in electrum?  Or its best to keep it all in one address?

Yes, you can have your balance divided in multiple addresses or you can keep them in single address. It does not affect your usage. When you want to send the funds, either Electrum can manage the addresses on its own based on the amount you want to send, or you can tell it to use a specific address.
BitcoinDay

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 06:55:19 AM

I used bitcoin many times to send and receive.  However each time i receive, i believe i gave the site a different btc address.  I use Electrum.  Can someone tell me what is the receiving address i should give a site when they ask for my bitcoin address to receive btc in the future?  I believe they probably want to send btc only to that address and dont want to ask me for btc address each time.

In Receiving and Used... i see 3 btc address that was used twice.  I see 5 btc address that hasn't been used.  I see under Change... 4 btc address and one of them has been used once and this address currently holds my btc.  So which btc address should i give?  Also i notice in many users here... they post their btc address in their profile.  So i could choose any of these btc addresses available?  So i could have 10btc at one address and 5 btc in another address in electrum?  Or its best to keep it all in one address?

Thank you.

You can try use XAPO
that wallet is like electrum, adrress will be change after u use it for 1 time
Anillos2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 04:58:27 PM

Thank you.
Remember that Bitcoin addresses are not like email addresses.

Bitcoin addresses are disposable, you can use them so many times, but it's better to use different addresses for different payments.

I have one for faucets, other for small tasks...

BlackMachine

Activity: 208
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 03:59:42 AM

I used bitcoin many times to send and receive.  However each time i receive, i believe i gave the site a different btc address.  I use Electrum.  Can someone tell me what is the receiving address i should give a site when they ask for my bitcoin address to receive btc in the future?  I believe they probably want to send btc only to that address and dont want to ask me for btc address each time.

In Receiving and Used... i see 3 btc address that was used twice.  I see 5 btc address that hasn't been used.  I see under Change... 4 btc address and one of them has been used once and this address currently holds my btc.  So which btc address should i give?  Also i notice in many users here... they post their btc address in their profile.  So i could choose any of these btc addresses available?  So i could have 10btc at one address and 5 btc in another address in electrum?  Or its best to keep it all in one address?

Thank you.

You can try use XAPO
that wallet is like electrum, adrress will be change after u use it for 1 time
You won't have access to your xapo address. If they decide to run away, all your money will be lost. Changing addresses aren't there to enhance security. They are more for security. You can use any of the addresses you control.

kwaasteniet

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 07:33:51 AM

You can always use a bitcoin mixer for anonimity. Bitmixer for example.
BitcoinDay

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 10:10:58 AM

You can always use a bitcoin mixer for anonimity. Bitmixer for example.

If you want to mix your coin, you can use XAPO wallet that very simple without fee and you can send it anonimity
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: