Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:25:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How is bitcoin better than litecoin?  (Read 11702 times)
Hollingsworth

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 12:44:28 AM

Bitcoin is the recognizable face of cryptocurrency.

Litecoin, not so much.  Litecoin serves now as a low entry price point for investing in the crypto world.

GregH37
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1037

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 12:58:58 AM

Bitcoin is supported by a larger group of people.Bitcoin has more usage than Litecoin. Litecoin doesn't have any real-world  adoption and bitcoin is more familiar than litecoin. Bitcoin is known by most of the people.
monsanto
Legendary

Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005

..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 06:16:29 PM

People are actually taking the time to stress test bitcoin, unlike litecoin. I think the first btc stress test was supposed to cost $5000. I'm curious how much it would cost to stress test litecoin in a similar way.
LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 12:21:05 PM

People are actually taking the time to stress test bitcoin, unlike litecoin. I think the first btc stress test was supposed to cost $5000. I'm curious how much it would cost to stress test litecoin in a similar way.

Litecoin was stress tested very early in it's life. A fix was developed that makes it very expensive to stress the ledger now. This fix was also passed on to the bitcoin core developers and they dismissed it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3ci25k/the_current_spam_attack_on_bitcoin_is_not/
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/1536
doublemore

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 01:04:42 PM

Litecoin, not so much.  Litecoin serves now as a low entry price point for investing in the crypto world.

And bitcoin is priced 50x the price of litecoin because of being the #1.  It seems like quite a gap in pricing though it wouldn't take that much for litecoin to become equally used.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 01:51:54 PM

Litecoin, not so much.  Litecoin serves now as a low entry price point for investing in the crypto world.

And bitcoin is priced 50x the price of litecoin because of being the #1.  It seems like quite a gap in pricing though it wouldn't take that much for litecoin to become equally used.

litecoin needs 500x more effort to be accepted as much as bitcoin is accepted and then it's price might increase to bitcoin levels.
besides as long as litecoin price is controlled by pump and dumps, like what has been happening in the last month, nobody is going to think of litecoin more than an altcoin which is being pumped.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
BrianM

Activity: 546
Merit: 510

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 06:23:32 PM

And bitcoin is priced 50x the price of litecoin because of being the #1.  It seems like quite a gap in pricing though it wouldn't take that much for litecoin to become equally used.

litecoin needs 500x more effort to be accepted as much as bitcoin is accepted and then it's price might increase to bitcoin levels.
besides as long as litecoin price is controlled by pump and dumps, like what has been happening in the last month, nobody is going to think of litecoin more than an altcoin which is being pumped.

Yes, I know this one is hard for someone to swallow. But it is the truth.
Litecoin is just another altcoin.
gripflierGO

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 06:27:49 PM

Bitcoin is supported by a larger group of people. The more people working on the project and running nodes makes it a strong decentralized system.
Also litecoin doesn't have any real-world adoption. It's been hard enough to get people to accept bitcoin, litecoin would have a lot of catching up to do.

Yeah, the users of bitcoin are far more as compared to litecoin, and there are many online merchants who have started to accept bitcoins as a mode of payment, but the same doesn't goes with litecoin.

And the other major thing is People have heard about the bitcoins but yet they hesitate in investing in bitcoins, and it would not be easy for people to trust litecoins when there is presence of bitcoins.
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 06:38:16 PM

Yes, I know this one is hard for someone to swallow. But it is the truth.
Litecoin is just another altcoin.

True, but on the back of everyone's mind it will always have that special place as THE altcoin, the original altcoin. So I can see why Litecoin may disappear and always have a relative value to Bitcoin, and maybe be used as a tool when people is paranoid about Bitcoins future even tho there's nothing to fear (example, when we had the blockchain splits crisis).
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 06:54:19 PM

Market acceptance.

Nothing else matters if very few or no merchants will accept it.

Bitcoin appears to have more market acceptance than ALL OTHER CRYPTOCOINS COMBINED by a fairly wide margin.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
foxbitcoin

Activity: 593
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 07:39:17 PM

bitcoin was there first, has the largest push behind it, has all the peripheral businesses, and has the tech on it's side.
umaOuma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 09:25:09 PM

Market acceptance.

Nothing else matters if very few or no merchants will accept it.

Bitcoin appears to have more market acceptance than ALL OTHER CRYPTOCOINS COMBINED by a fairly wide margin.

Daddy is Daddy.

Bitcoin is introduced first and is more popular then any other digital currencies, and people have more faith in bitcoins as compared to any other crypto. And majority of merchants accepts bitcoins as a mode of payment. I have rarely seen any accepting litecoin as a mode of payment. And it will keep on increasing in the coming future.
baby222

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 09:32:49 PM

bitcoin was there first, has the largest push behind it, has all the peripheral businesses, and has the tech on it's side.

what would happen if a few corporations decide to buy up litecoin just because is cheaper and is second to bitcoin, would large part of the bitcoin backers turn into litecoin backers has well if litecoin reaches 150 usd or so?
b-trading

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 12:05:23 AM

Simple answer bitcoin is more famous than litecoin
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 12:38:34 AM

what would happen if a few corporations decide to buy up litecoin just because is cheaper and is second to bitcoin, would large part of the bitcoin backers turn into litecoin backers has well if litecoin reaches 150 usd or so?

I don't think that kind of forced push would be sustainable.  The Bitcoin ecosystem of investors, merchants, and miners is hard to duplicate, and personally I don't think it will be without major new innovations.

Electric Money

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 12:45:32 AM

That's like comparing the VCR to the Betamax.  Ba-da-boom, ba-da bing!
Eastfist

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2015, 12:46:00 AM

Bitcoin is the real deal. Litecoin is the imitator. Says so right in the name. Branding is everything.
stromma44

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 01:02:36 AM

Bitcoin is the real deal. Litecoin is the imitator. Says so right in the name. Branding is everything.

That's true and people have just started to believe in bitcoins as a currency, so it is difficult that very soon they switch over to such a currency which is comparatively very new. And as there are many people who still doesn't have faith in bitcoins so for them litecoin is far away, As the users of bitcoin itself would think twice before investing in litecoins.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 04:30:28 AM

Anybody who has heard of litecoin has definitely heard of Bitcoin.
The converse isn't true.
Bitcoin is truly the gold standard in cryptocurrencies.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 07:28:04 AM

Betamax was a type of VCR.
 You'r probably thinking of the VHS vs. Betamax war, which isn't really comparable (the higher quality Betamax format LOST the war due to better marketing of "good enough" on the part of the VHS side).
 Eventually, BOTH sides of that war lost out to recordable DVD....

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: