Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:32:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How is bitcoin better than litecoin?  (Read 11702 times)
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2015, 09:25:21 AM

I know Bitcoin is better than Litecoin with bigger market cap, network and all that. But there are few things bitcoin should learn from Litecoin.

https://99bitcoins.com/this-is-why-bitcoin-should-learn-from-litecoin/

tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 11:51:08 AM

Betamax was a type of VCR.
 You'r probably thinking of the VHS vs. Betamax war, which isn't really comparable (the higher quality Betamax format LOST the war due to better marketing of "good enough" on the part of the VHS side).
 Eventually, BOTH sides of that war lost out to recordable DVD....

DVD recorders didn't exist until 20 years after the Betamax vs VHS format war was decided. You can say recordable DVD lost out to recordable BluRay which lost out to hard disk recording which lost out to cloud recording. These changes happened much faster than the change from VCR's to DVD recorders.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 03:47:16 PM

More like 15 years or so, but that's just a pointer to how much faster technology has been progressing over the last couple of centuries, with a usually-increasing RATE of change as well.

I also question that "cloud" has supplanted anything yet - it's trying, but there are still a LOT of minuses to it and a lot of us that flat out don't TRUST the cloud due to those minuses.

But back to the original question - when Litecoin manages even HALF of the adoption rate of Bitcoin by real-world merchants (I do count net merchants in that, given how much I've bought from Newegg and others over the last decade) THEN it might be a viable competator. Even one TENTH might be enough to make it viable for the long term, but iffy.

Right now I don't know of ANY major merchant that accepts Litecoin - as long as that continues, Litecoin (like ALL of the other altcoins) has no chance of long-term survival, much less turning out to be competition to Bitcoin.

It's not that I don't LIKE Litecoin - I paid for several video cards back when GPU mining was viable through mining income from it, and even managed to ROI 2 of my 3 Gridseed blades (the third was at the $1600ish level, I doubt that one will EVER ROI though it's still marginally profitable).
 It's that Litecoin is .... well, not a joke compared to Bitcoin, but not far away from being one.

I just don't see the long-term market having much use for more than 1 cryptocurrency unless the competators provide REAL WORLD advantages in different ways to each other. So far, I don't see that out of ANY of the current altcoins - they all seem at best to a destiny of a "small niche" alternative.
 Fancy "technological better" points tend to mean NOTHING to most of the public, which is WHY the better technology but greatly inferior marketing of Betamax LOST the VCR wars to the "good enough" VHS.
 That is also why Windows remains the dominant desktop OS, even though several "technologically better" alternatives exist and have existed in the past - Windows is "good enough" and VERY VERY well marketed.

This is not to say that Bitcoin will REMAIN the 800 pound gorilla - it's got some issues of it's own that are starting to get some serious notice, that will eventually limit it's ABILITY for wider adoption if they are not corrected. The "number of transactions" issue has already been getting some active attention (and fights about fixing it), the insane SIZE of the blockchain is a major issue (with some workarounds, but those workarounds have issues themselves), the long time to confirm a transaction (makes it bloody close to USELESS in a non-online retail environment), the eventual elimination of block rewards that will probably kill mining and make confirmations take forever, make me inclined that BitCoin is open to losing out to someone creating a TRUE better answer.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
itsjohnny

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 08:16:22 PM

There is a movie called bitcoin
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 08:23:39 PM

wiki leaks now accepting litecoin so score one for them

7bestone7

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 200+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 08:40:40 PM

first of all bitcoin has a lot more users secondly more companies accept it thirdly the price of it is much bigger and can easier grow as more and more people use it

Borisz

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 08:51:53 PM

Simple answer bitcoin is more famous than litecoin

This is pretty much it. Bitcoin was first and it is more publicly known. The average people get scared to learn about more than one cryptocurrency, they are happy to have "understood" how the first one worked.
Bitcoin could use a different algorithm, different block size, everything else could be different until it was the first one. If it came second, it would be the other way around.
LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 06:36:12 PM

maokoto

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2015, 07:07:26 PM

Yes, the main advantage is the greater popularity and support for Bitcoin. Once you get this type of cryptocurrency, any additions (more security, faster confirmations etc.) are not likely to add that much providing than the first cryptocurrency is already functional. And it is.

Love litecoin, though, and other cryptos Cheesy

misterycoins

Activity: 249

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 09:44:06 PM

Bitcoin is better than Litecoin because has great potential especially compared to generic clones, which most of alt coins are. more stable and supported by larger community
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 12:24:19 AM

in brief, marketing. BTC have more hipsters using it than Litecoin Smiley
Andy4.4

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 04:54:42 AM

Most secure network and block chain.
flock123

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 05:08:23 AM

I think bitcoin better than litecoin because bitcoin has the highest price  Grin
monsanto
Legendary

Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005

..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 06:10:55 AM

in brief, marketing. BTC have more hipsters using it than Litecoin Smiley

More than nothing isn't saying much  Wink
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 06:18:09 AM

Also, Bitcoin has faster confirmations than Litecoin.

You may think it's the other way round, with Litecoin having 4 times shorter block mining time. But those blocks deliver way more than 4 times less certainty. Consider the computer power you'd need to "reverse" a Bitcoin or a Litecoin transaction, after 1 minute, 5 minute, 20 minutes, etc. It should become increasingly harder (computationally more intensive) in time. Bitcoin clearly wins in that aspect.

After x minutes of time, a Bitcoin transaction is typically more "confirmed" (can be trusted to never be reversed) than a Litecoin transaction.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Abbey_j

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 06:29:46 AM

Is there much differences between litecoin and bitcoin? People so far knows Bitcoin instead of litecoin or Bitcoin-related program likes Ethereum, why Bitcoin is better than litecoin or Ethereum, that's the reason, Most people knows only Bitcoin and most people use Bitcoin only.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 06:37:09 AM

Is there much differences between litecoin and bitcoin? People so far knows Bitcoin instead of litecoin or Bitcoin-related program likes Ethereum, why Bitcoin is better than litecoin or Ethereum, that's the reason, Most people knows only Bitcoin and most people use Bitcoin only.

in my opinion any sort of cryptocurrency that is created after bitcoin no matter what its name, is irrelevant and can not come near the popularity of bitcoin as long as they are not introducing something new and useful.

litecoin is just a copy of bitcoin with minor differences that doesn't matter to the end user, so it is never going to matter much.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Josef27

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 06:44:06 AM

More widely known is the most important thing in my opinion since that's mean more people using it mean bitcoin can be spend more easily, while litecoin are just copy from bitcoin with some modification.
momore

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 06:46:46 AM

Well? Let's hear it.
I use bitcoin for two years already, but never use litecoin yet.
monsanto
Legendary

Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005

..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 06:49:47 AM

wiki leaks now accepting litecoin so score one for them

Nice!!!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: