Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:50:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: "Avalon" ASIC, announcement & pre-order. pre-order over. project started.  (Read 98407 times)
ngzhang (OP)

Activity: 592
Merit: 501

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 10:46:53 AM

So, do I need to mail you guys if I'm interested in a couple of units and I'll get notified? Or being subscribed to the newsletter is sufficient to be notified?

do either of the two is ok.
Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2012, 01:54:14 PM
Last edit: September 24, 2012, 02:27:38 PM by Isokivi

How does any of what you've said address the problem of this being an oversubscribed lottery, where the wealthy and fortunate get preferential treatment? How will it stop people who already have 50, ordering another 50?

Can you stop? Bitcoin will not solve your problems. Nor will losing (most probably) money on ASIC.

So? What's your point?

World is bad and everything is against me?

welcome ot the way the world works. bitcoin is a currency, not a commune. the security is distributed, not the wealth.

There is a chanse that this product will be the first available asic, giving a single entity the controll of 2,6 or more TH/s in the first wave shipping out is irresponsible in that case.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
libertybuck

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 10:40:40 PM

How does any of what you've said address the problem of this being an oversubscribed lottery, where the wealthy and fortunate get preferential treatment? How will it stop people who already have 50, ordering another 50?

Can you stop? Bitcoin will not solve your problems. Nor will losing (most probably) money on ASIC.

So? What's your point?

World is bad and everything is against me?

welcome ot the way the world works. bitcoin is a currency, not a commune. the security is distributed, not the wealth.

There is a chanse that this product will be the first available asic, giving a single entity the controll of 2,6 or more TH/s in the first wave shipping out is irresponsible in that case.

有点意思. 一个人花费自己的时间和精力替49个朋友连同他自己一共买了50个面包, 在某些人眼里看来就是不公平和不负责任.

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 11:15:54 PM

The hashing strength of the entire network now exceeds 20TH/s.  One entity controlling 2.6TH/s is of no great concern to me.  (should it be?)

Even if one entity got all 300 units, that's still only 18TH/s.   Not quite enough to make up 51% of the network hashing strength.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 11:30:47 PM

The hashing strength of the entire network now exceeds 20TH/s.  One entity controlling 2.6TH/s is of no great concern to me.  (should it be?)

Even if one entity got all 300 units, that's still only 18TH/s.   Not quite enough to make up 51% of the network hashing strength.

This is definitely enough to be afraid, as less than 51% is required to disrupt the network. With some luck less than that will be enough, e.g. 40% of total hashing power would allow an individual to perform double-spends if he was lucky enough to mine more than half of the blocks (+25% luckier than avg. miner).

Signature space available for rent.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:36:49 AM

If a single entity has enough money to purchase all 300 orders, I'd say it's also possible they can put some spare change toward existing FPGA products to overcome that last 4% they need for a 51% takeover.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4522
Merit: 1844

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 02:24:44 AM

If someone wanted to do a 51%, why would they pay retail?

We are talking about purchasing every order here...
 Why would they bother? Why wouldn't they just take that loot and have their own asic made.
Save money and be stealth until the hashes hit.
I still wonder why the 51% attack even comes up in any of these ASIC discussions.
How would anyone profit from that?
Seriously - think about.

Suddenly one day every miner (but 1) is unable to mine bitcoins coz some miner with >50% network power has modified their bitcoind to reject all external blocks and having >50% they might even be able to force that on the blockchain.
Then they can put whatever they like in the blockchain and cause havoc.

So what happens next?
That's the end of BTC - move on to BTC2.0 based on the blockchain before the moron who did the 51% attack
The person who did the 51% attack will very shortly have worthless BTC ...
Yeah I can see someone making a fortune out of spending a small fortune on ASIC ... NOT!

You really think any exchange is going to support a 51% attacked network and allow people to buy and sell until it's resolved?

The only reason someone would want to do a 51% attack would be to kill bitcoin,
but in reality that would only be for a short period of time - until BTC2.0 came out.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 02:35:48 AM

Seriously - think about.

Suddenly one day every miner (but 1) is unable to mine bitcoins coz some miner with >50% network power has modified their bitcoind to reject all external blocks and having >50% they might even be able to force that on the blockchain.
Then they can put whatever they like in the blockchain and cause havoc.

So what happens next?
That's the end of BTC - move on to BTC2.0 based on the blockchain before the moron who did the 51% attack
The person who did the 51% attack will very shortly have worthless BTC ...
Yeah I can see someone making a fortune out of spending a small fortune on ASIC ... NOT!

You really think any exchange is going to support a 51% attacked network and allow people to buy and sell until it's resolved?

but in reality that would only be for a short period of time - until BTC2.0 came out.

They wouldn't necessarily have to 'destroy' Bitcoin, they could just profit from their power (albeit probably for a very short time) by double-spending (they could withdraw same bitcoins in other currencies on multiple exchanges).

Signature space available for rent.
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 05:42:20 AM

Why would they bother? Why wouldn't they just take that loot and have their own asic made.
I still wonder why the 51% attack even comes up in any of these ASIC discussions.
Seriously - think about.

Stuff

Highly unlikely for same reasons as existed the past two years or so. Btc2.0 already is out. It's called Ltc, only it makes transactions much faster than Btc.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 06:11:44 AM

Seriously - think about.

Stuff

Highly unlikely for same reasons as existed the past two years or so. Btc2.0 already is out. It's called Ltc, only it makes transactions much faster than Btc.
Lulz - reality please.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 10:39:41 AM

Lulz - reality please.

Just wait and see when so called reality virtually hits the floor ;-). Everything is possible in the crypto universe. There are no ground rules. It is utterly possible that bitcoin goes down and/or altcoins may be worth as much as bitcoin, or as little as Btc. Bitcoin reputation hasn't been at its best lately, for various and justified reasons. Sorry for off-topic. Will shut up now. Good luck with sales.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 12:04:40 PM

Lulz - reality please.

Just wait and see when so called reality virtually hits the floor ;-). Everything is possible in the crypto universe. There are no ground rules. It is utterly possible that bitcoin goes down and/or altcoins may be worth as much as bitcoin, or as little as Btc. Bitcoin reputation hasn't been at its best lately, for various and justified reasons. Sorry for off-topic. Will shut up now. Good luck with sales.
I do permanently run an LTC litcoind and I even came 2nd in the logo competition for LTC when it first started Smiley
(actually I came 1st but they redid it coz someone didn't want my logo Smiley )
But, no, I really think it's a complete lack of reality to think that LTC will ever be more than a footnote to BTC
The risk is simply: will BTC survive or not - a secondary crypto is not gonna take over if BTC dies ... IMO Smiley

VeeMiner

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 12:11:00 PM

I do permanently run an LTC litcoind and I even came 2nd in the logo competition for LTC when it first started Smiley
(actually I came 1st but they redid it coz someone didn't want my logo Smiley )
But, no, I really think it's a complete lack of reality to think that LTC will ever be more than a footnote to BTC
The risk is simply: will BTC survive or not - a secondary crypto is not gonna take over if BTC dies ... IMO Smiley

I agree with that. If BTC fails then people won't trust another currency, which is more or less the same. LTC was made only for mining, it doesn't have any practical use ATM and I don't think that it will be too interesting in the future. That said, I have 3 CPUs mining LTC, just for "what if" reason.
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:34:59 PM

Guy’s
Have somebody received email (or other) instructions about wire transfer? I am planning a short vacation. I want to sort this out before that.
Thank you very much

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
Xfinity

Activity: 127

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:44:19 PM

Guy’s
Have somebody received email (or other) instructions about wire transfer? I am planning a short vacation. I want to sort this out before that.
Thank you very much

I have not recieved any mail yet...

Donations (BTC): 1L8EcGAuaDNK4kNxAbEBawo8ZaeFZvibgj
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:59:21 PM

Guy’s
Thank you very much

I have not recieved any mail yet...

Ditto here... I'm a bit surprised, as they want to have the wire transfers confirmed before they can do the second round to get rid of the other 100 reserved units. Wire transfers to China take sometimes up to a week, that leaves not much time until October the 8th.

Their FAQ states:

Wire Transfers - We are currently overwhelmed with keeping the site operational, once the order have calm down a bit we will begin the process the wire transfers, once you have received the appropriate information for the wire transfer you have 7 days(swift / proof of wire transfer) to complete said wire until the order is canceled.

http://forum.bitsyn.com/viewtopic.php?id=6
ngzhang (OP)

Activity: 592
Merit: 501

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 02:14:10 PM

relax, wiretransfer is not started yet. I think we will finish the per-works in a few days.

Then send the mails, then start the second launch.

Working with our ASIC team these days, a little (写作一点,读作非常) busy.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 05:19:54 PM

I am still concerned about the shopping cart software not updating my shipping address properly.
You change your addresses, delete the old, and the old still remains in some parts of the shopping
software account area.

chrcoe01

Activity: 147

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 05:28:30 PM

good to know, I'll have to make sure that I don't type in the wrong one first time through in case I can't change it later

"You may delay, but time will not, and lost time is never found again." -Benjamin Franklin
irritant

Activity: 473
Merit: 250

Sodium hypochlorite, acetone, ethanol

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 05:59:04 PM

what kind of power plug will it have? Type C?

http://users.telenet.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: