Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:01:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: is butterfly labs mining with those ASICs at the moment?  (Read 37505 times)
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 12:28:10 AM

....as his sig says he's mining at 480 GH/s lol.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 01:18:18 AM

...chips to make BTC mining quicker, cheaper, easier, and better for the environment, mining more difficult not funding it with bitcoin mining almost seems...

FTFY

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 01:56:40 AM

....as his sig says he's mining at 480 GH/s

That's the entirety of the pool he operates.

Or is it?
No. EMC is ~ 2TH/s, IIRC.

Edit: When I checked earlier, they were reporting 1.9TH/s on their website. His sig has dropped to 5GH/s, and their pool has dropped to 1.5TH/s. These are all estimates, and can quite easily be way off, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 03:47:50 AM

I'm curious, what's "interesting" about it, exactly?  My hashrate hops off, the pool drops by the same amount and that's interesting?

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 03:56:24 AM

I'm curious, what's "interesting" about it, exactly?  My hashrate hops off, the pool drops by the same amount and that's interesting?

I'm guessing that he's implying you're testing ASICs and that's causing the large swings.

Inaba, can you link to the presentation you gave it the Bitcoin conference? Some forum members have described a demonstration of a working SC prototype, but no one here seems to have any information on it.
Similarly, could you describe where you are in your production process? Specifically, have you actually received prototype silicon and have tested it functionally to ensure that a respin isn't needed?
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 04:11:25 AM

I fully believe you when you say you are not testing ASICs. I just I just never realized you have > 500GH/s. Out of curiosity, why does it come and go?

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 05:03:46 AM

I'm not skirting the question, I simply do not have an answer at this time.  I have *never* had a definitive answer to that, since it's not really high on the priority list of things going on around here.  We're more concerned with actually getting a finished product prepped and shipped at this point. 
Alright, thanks for the response.

....as his sig says he's mining at 480 GH/s lol.  Let me just tell everyone, if I invented a device that mines really fast, fuck y'all, I'm mining with it.  So anything short of that is quite a bit better lol.  I mean have like a room full at least.  What company doesn't use their own product?  Ford, McDonalds, Dyson, everyone!  Even investment bankers invest in their own funds.  If it works, use it.

And once again, if BFL wants to make $XXX amount of money period, then they either make 100% from your purchases of hardware or they go like 90% hardware 10% small mining operation.  Plus, if they're paying big bucks to have a Taiwanese develop custom chips to make BTC mining quicker, cheaper, easier, and better for the environment, not funding it with bitcoin mining almost seems stupid.  So like I said, if they don't buy themselves 1 rig for every rig they sell, I'm fine with most other things than that, lol.
I agree - I don't really care if BFL mines with them on main net, I just want them to be open and admit it if they are.
psilan

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 06:04:33 AM

It's clear you are proud of it  Grin

dip
gyverlb

Activity: 896

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 11:23:04 AM

I didn't realize that Inaba had 400-500GH/s. This triggers one question: with that much hashing power what kind of work does Inaba do?

I mean... last time I checked this kind of power should net him around $60k/month. Wouldn't it make sense to make mining a full time job? I'm not sure what is the deal between BFL and Inaba in his employee contract, but it better be worth it to Inaba.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 01:25:57 PM

I just find it interesting that he passed gigavps without batting an eye. He is pretty much double giga now. I wonder how that happened so fast.........or is it a function of your coloco deals?

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 02:10:10 PM

Everyone concerned about BFL testing on main-net for their own profit should take a look at the last paragraph of this post:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110805.msg1209517#msg1209517

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 03:03:00 PM

Everyone concerned about BFL testing on main-net for their own profit should take a look at the last paragraph of this post:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110805.msg1209517#msg1209517

To quote what he was referring to:
Josh also mentioned that they will do a day when they test the new ASIC rigs out on the real Bitcoin Network, and all the BTC mined for that one day they will give out to the developers. Pretty  cool if you ask me. So, yeah, I'm having trouble believing they are scam. I saw the equipment and they built it with care.

Desolator (OP)

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 03:05:37 PM
Last edit: September 21, 2012, 03:16:04 PM by Desolator

WTF!  I go to the next page to post about your sig changing to 250-ish GH/s and then I go back to get the number accurately and it's in the 400's again.  You just turned off and back on like 200GH/s worth of equipment.  WTF? lol.  But besides variances, I think everyone who replied buried the lead here...you have 400GH/s worth of equipment mining?!?!  WTF IS IT?! lol.  See below for why I want to know WTF it is Tongue

Like I've said 100 times, it would be stupid for a company not to use their own products and if I worked there, I'd have a couple rigs going.  Nothing disruptive but come on people, hedge your bets a little with 2 sources of income (chip sales and mining).

But anyway, your current sig (which just dropped to 250 and back up to the 400s yet again while writing this) would be about 1,467 average GPUs so...it's not that, lol.
It would be 528 current generation singles, so it's not that
It would be 17.4 current generations rigs so it's maybe that but that's 21,825 watts so it's actually probably not that unless you're in an industrial zoned area Tongue
Or it's 11 bitforce singles or a downclocked bitforce mini-rig, neither of which exist yet allegedly.  Btw I heard that BFL doesn't have a working, completed ASIC in their hands yet but they managed to go to some sort of conference and show one off then auction it off...DAFUQ?!  Hmmm...
May I refer you to my post title, lol

P.S. crazyates, what exactly is going on with your sig? lol
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 03:23:55 PM

WTF!  I go to the next page to post about your sig changing to 250-ish GH/s and then I go back to get the number accurately and it's in the 400's again.  You just turned off and back on like 200GH/s worth of equipment.  WTF? lol.  But besides variances, I think everyone who replied buried the lead here...you have 400GH/s worth of equipment mining?!?!  WTF IS IT?! lol.  See below for why I want to know WTF it is Tongue

Like I've said 100 times, it would be stupid for a company not to use their own products and if I worked there, I'd have a couple rigs going.  Nothing disruptive but come on people, hedge your bets a little with 2 sources of income (chip sales and mining).

But anyway, your current sig (which just dropped to 250 and back up to the 400s yet again while writing this) would be about 1,467 average GPUs so...it's not that, lol.
It would be 528 current generation singles, so it's not that
It would be 17.4 current generations rigs so it's maybe that but that's 21,825 watts so it's actually probably not that unless you're in an industrial zoned area Tongue
Or it's 11 bitforce singles or a downclocked bitforce mini-rig, neither of which exist yet allegedly.  Btw I heard that BFL doesn't have a working, completed ASIC in their hands yet but they managed to go to some sort of conference and show one off then auction it off...DAFUQ?!  Hmmm...
May I refer you to my post title, lol

P.S. crazyates, what exactly is going on with your sig? lol

Switching back and forth from EMC != turning on and off equipment.
Desolator (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 03:25:57 PM

okay, besides "why?" what equipment can do that? Tongue

btw, screenshot or cuz it did happen! lol

nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 03:33:13 PM

Let me just tell everyone, if I invented a device that mines really fast, fuck y'all, I'm mining with it.  So anything short of that is quite a bit better lol.  I mean have like a room full at least.  What company doesn't use their own product?  Ford, McDonalds, Dyson, everyone!  Even investment bankers invest in their own funds.  If it works, use it.

+1

nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 03:41:33 PM

Let me just tell everyone, if I invented a device that mines really fast, fuck y'all, I'm mining with it.  So anything short of that is quite a bit better lol.  I mean have like a room full at least.  What company doesn't use their own product?  Ford, McDonalds, Dyson, everyone!  Even investment bankers invest in their own funds.  If it works, use it.

+1

At MSFT, we used to call it "eating our own dog food," and had an internal alpha/beta site called "dogfood" for the purpose of distributing software from different teams.  We hired a new SVP of sales at my new company and he said he prefers "drinking your own champagne."

I agree, break even with the prototypes and first runs and then start selling well-tested units.  Yeah, it sucks for people while there is a hashing power singularity, but it also makes a hardware company more viable.

It also creates a viable 51% attack possibility. *womp womp womp*

reeses
Donator

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

Assholier-than-thou retard magnet

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 03:43:44 PM

It also creates a viable 51% attack possibility. *womp womp womp*

I'm less concerned with this, frankly.  The 51% attack is limited in damage and will be bloody obvious if it comes from a single source.
Desolator (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 06:32:47 PM

They could get their hands on enough mega rigs to do it but why would they steal like $500k-1mil US and then BTC is basically destroyed and they have no more customers? Tongue I'm concerned about someone else doing it.  I outlined how impossible it would be to get money for the BTC you steal (in another post) so it'd have to be someone just attempting to destroy BTC and that's that.  BFL is taking significant steps to ensure that it doesn't sell too much GH/s to 1 person though.
reeses
Donator

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

Assholier-than-thou retard magnet

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 06:47:07 PM

Just in case you were wondering.  Apologies for the mess.  It's iPhone 5 day. :-)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: