Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 11:11:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can bitcoin really save Greece?  (Read 10368 times)
arallmuus
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1406

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2015, 08:31:53 PM

I think this is the right time for the bitcoin foundation to step in and offer more information support in Greece,

This is not a good move because the nature of BTC itself is pretty much unstable . You cant expect BTC foundation to go there and said everything is fine once you convert all your savings into BTC while in fact that putting saving in form of BTC is pretty much "unsafe" as well .
"Unsafe" pretty much is viewed from the volatility issue though because there is no denying that the moment you put your saving into BTC then you would need to endure the fact that your savings could become half of what you put in a night . Once we stood up for this volatility issue then it will be of course a different story if there is some incident like this in the future

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 08:59:45 PM

It is unsure, yes, but I think that if bitcoin were to help greece, it would help both sides gain a bit of stability,
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2015, 10:30:36 PM

Can Greece really save bitcoin?

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 11:43:31 PM

I saw an interesting post on the Bitcoin subreddit recently. The OP was arguing that Bitcoin could not save the people of Greece, but could be used to support the merchants and sellers within the country. The idea is that us Bitcoin users worldwide should be making an attempt to purchase Greek goods with our Bitcoin, as the local currency is, obviously, falling apart. I think this is precisely the role that Bitcoin should be playing in Greece.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2015, 11:49:19 PM

I saw an interesting post on the Bitcoin subreddit recently. The OP was arguing that Bitcoin could not save the people of Greece, but could be used to support the merchants and sellers within the country. The idea is that us Bitcoin users worldwide should be making an attempt to purchase Greek goods with our Bitcoin, as the local currency is, obviously, falling apart. I think this is precisely the role that Bitcoin should be playing in Greece.

On that note... http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/07/03/spartan-route-buying-greek-exports-with-bitcoin/

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 12:16:11 AM

Lol.. that is the question which should be asked. We are discussing about the probability that Greece will be saved by a currency, whose value has declined by 80% in the last 18 months. The Bitcoin adoption is going down considerably, and the number of people who use Bitcoin for their online shopping has also gone down steeply.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2015, 12:23:54 AM

Lol.. that is the question which should be asked. We are discussing about the probability that Greece will be saved by a currency, whose value has declined by 80% in the last 18 months. The Bitcoin adoption is going down considerably, and the number of people who use Bitcoin for their online shopping has also gone down steeply.

I don't sell at a loss, which is why I'm not using BTC for online shopping. But...

I'd like to see metrics on the last two points rather than just Overstock.com's SEC-EDGAR filings.

jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 12:34:43 AM

Obviously I can't speak for the whole community, but I just spent 3~ BTC over at newegg.com a couple of weeks ago, and it seems that more opportunities to spend online are opening up every day, so I wouldn't argue that online shopping through Bitcoin is on the decline.
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 02:56:54 AM

Just look at this crow i wish someone had gone there with a bitcoin flag or with flyers at least and pass them out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNxHc6qMotg a sea of people wonderful watching crows like that gather for one cause.

Borisz

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 08:13:20 AM

Obviously I can't speak for the whole community, but I just spent 3~ BTC over at newegg.com a couple of weeks ago, and it seems that more opportunities to spend online are opening up every day, so I wouldn't argue that online shopping through Bitcoin is on the decline.

I think online shopping is growing, however "offline" purchasing is still an issue. Since bitcoin is a digital asset buying things in the local shop will be problematic for a good while. Also, e.g. newegg.com is a cool site in the USA, but getting stuff to the EU from there is not easy.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2015, 08:44:21 AM

I have close to 200 craigslist ads saying "Bitcoin & cash accepted" and merchant apps ready to rock, but local bitcoiners don't want to pay for my stuff with BTC, only cash. They could even pay in advance of pickup, but nope.

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 08:54:36 AM

Just look at that face! Greece is on the verge of economic destruction and he's posing for cameras with a smile like he won the lottery.
And how much does this referendum cost and who will pay for it ? They are supposed to lead the country, and not waste money to ask common people for answers they should provide themselves.

The point that i'm trying to make here is that there's noone who can save Greece Not until people realize that they need to lock up their leaders, and start acting like a responsible adults.
Bitcoin can help people make transactions under any environment, but it can't cure human stupidity, but just my opinion in the end..

cheers
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 10:16:17 AM

I think online shopping is growing, however "offline" purchasing is still an issue. Since bitcoin is a digital asset buying things in the local shop will be problematic for a good while. Also, e.g. newegg.com is a cool site in the USA, but getting stuff to the EU from there is not easy.

First of all, assuming bitcoin can save Greece, the fact that Greece cannot afford enough bitcoins as their Govt revenue puts a full stop over the debate. Secondly, people cannot buy bitcoins because their money is trapped. Assuming they can buy bitcoin, shop keepers in Greece don't accept bitcoins but cash. Even if that problem is sorted out, what about the increase in price level after Greece adopts bitcoin? The whole point of their debt and economic collapse was that they couldn't afford euro, you think they can afford bitcoin? LOL.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 10:20:07 AM

No, it can't. Bitcoin is not the salvation of any state but it can help some people to save their 'money'....
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 06:44:16 PM

Bitcoin went into bubble mode in late 2013, and bottomed out back in January. Since then it has actually been performing pretty well the last six months, despite the warring factions on the scalability debate. So I think Bitcoin is fundamentally healthy enough.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
larry12

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 07:13:30 PM

Greece says NO to EU at today’s referendum.
All i can say - The most stupid thing they can do......this is the beginning of huge financial collapse.....

I’m in EU too and in a matter of fact i think they didnt deserve any more help.....at the last years the Greeks eat and drink almost 500 billions $ and after that the whole EU must pay the bill..... so..... game over motherfuckers, now u need get some real work.

Please donate here : 1KPp2EVWJMRJpH9d6ZJtQTZPERSBeHCnAg

Lets buy some Lubricants for all Greeks, they will need it......  Grin Grin

#Bitcoin The future is here.
EndTheFed321

Activity: 577

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2015, 07:33:16 PM

It is not the peoples fault it`s the banks who will not give the people money that belongs to them  Wink

Earn Free BTC by using your browser check it  out
https://get.cryptobrowser.site/11117080
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 07:33:42 PM

Well short term it seems that Greece is giving bitcoin a nice boost!
We've been to $275, lets see if we hit 300 in the next day or so.

Who knows, maybe this willl get Greece a better deal from the EU... or maybe Grexit and bitcoin to the moon
larry12

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 07:43:02 PM

It is not the peoples fault it`s the banks who will not give the people money that belongs to them  Wink

nope, the Greeks are faulty....they dont have working economic, the only reason they are not in a collapse already is the EU is giving them a huge loans....loans they cant return  Wink

I have no idea are u ever been in Greece, its beautiful country but the people are lazy, the main reason for their scenario now.

#Bitcoin The future is here.
EndTheFed321

Activity: 577

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2015, 07:46:38 PM

so, all the people who are asking for money did not earn it? Did the people ever work for the money that can`t be taken out of banks?

All the citizens of Greece have been living on loans is that what you are saying larry12?

Help me understand

Earn Free BTC by using your browser check it  out
https://get.cryptobrowser.site/11117080
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: