Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:40:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can bitcoin really save Greece?  (Read 10368 times)
dblink

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 06:33:05 AM

Bitcoin has been invented in 2008 and started to be operational in 2009, within these span of years, how can one to be expect Bitcoin as a Savior for Greece Crisis at the moment. Greece has it's own problem for their default, Fortunately bitcoin came into handy for them to invest on it due to the uncertainty in Greece economy, If Greeks put their hard effort and sincerity they will definitely come out of this financial problems in a few years.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 07:11:30 AM

Question is: how will they buy Bitcoins with such severe capital controls?

And if they are able to buy and sell BTC easily, how long until Bitcoin gets banned from Greece once it turns out to be popular, and then what?

why it should be banned? if there is a small chance that buying bitcoin will help their economic condition, than a don't think it will be banned at all, also last time i checked they are pro bitcoin and not agianst it

otherwise why they installed an atm there
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 08:00:30 AM

There is a lot jealousy in the bitcoin rich or just a every one for their own right now, some of then might be looking just to even get richer in bitcoin amounts and don't want the general public to begin paying attention to bitcoin, some of them are into regulating bitcoin and lobbying for bitcoin, some of then just dont give a crap about letting countries on distress know what bitcoin could offer them.
Well then, such people shouldn't call themselves real supporters. What you gave me are good examples of excuses.
I guess the majority are very greedy. This is just one of the flaw that humans have, and I do not know how to help those with it? We could argue that this trait is the very reason why Greece is in this situation but that deserves a thread for its own.

Question is: how will they buy Bitcoins with such severe capital controls?

And if they are able to buy and sell BTC easily, how long until Bitcoin gets banned from Greece once it turns out to be popular, and then what?
Whoever withdrew a good sum before the controls can. For those who did not, it might be too late now.
I doubt that Greece would ban Bitcoin. That would probably be their last mistake.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
oiul

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 10:23:43 AM

The only way it can help greeks are if some of them already own a big enough amount of Bitcoin to start over in another country.
Borisz

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 11:53:22 AM

Bitcoin cannot save Greece, they are too deep into debt to be saved by Bitcoin. If the people could extract enough euro's from the banks, and convert it into Bitcoin, before they go back to the Drachma, they might protect the value of their money.

I'm not sure I understand you, why would they need to convert all their Euros to Bitcoin?

If you are saying that only they should change their Euros, what difference would it make for them? 1 € will be 1€ after/if the country goes completely bankrupt. So assuming they can withdraw their money (which is also needed if they want to buy Bitcoins), what difference does it make if I have 1 BTC in my wallet or 230€ cash?

If you are implying that they would be able to use Bitcoins better than Euros, then I think you have to reflect again on the scale of bitcoin in the everyday life.
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 12:10:02 PM

Bitcoin has surpassed that point where it could have been saved and rescued, right after they made the default. The shit has hit the fans now.
Bitcoin cannot help Greece now, it could have helped smart ass Greeks who saw this coming and invested/transferred their money to bitcoins rather than let it get trapped in the bank and be screwed like this. Bitcoin cannot help Greece in any way now, not in a way to escape their doom.
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Thug for life!

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 01:50:06 PM

It would be epic to see the bitcoin community raise money for a Greece bailout but is way too much 1.7b euro is pretty much half of the bitcoin market cap,
i would ratter see more bitcoin education and support on Greece.
kOLElEVI

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 02:31:18 PM

converting to bitcoin would not save greece as whole. maybe the money of some residents at most. (hiding the money from vicious eyes of government)
Greece by it self is so deep in shit i cant even imagine how they are gonna dig out of it.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 02:35:14 PM

Probably not right now after the control that the banks have put in place. I can imagine if these were done (bitcoin as the alternative currency) much earlier, things would have been different. I can see bitcoin can benefit in a lot of ways where no one can actually exert a control to the extent of telling you what you can or cannot do with your money.

AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 03:12:40 PM

Bitcoin cannot save Greece, they are too deep into debt to be saved by Bitcoin. If the people could extract enough euro's from the banks, and convert it into Bitcoin, before they go back to the Drachma, they might protect the value of their money.

I'm not sure I understand you, why would they need to convert all their Euros to Bitcoin?

If you are saying that only they should change their Euros, what difference would it make for them? 1 € will be 1€ after/if the country goes completely bankrupt. So assuming they can withdraw their money (which is also needed if they want to buy Bitcoins), what difference does it make if I have 1 BTC in my wallet or 230€ cash?

If you are implying that they would be able to use Bitcoins better than Euros, then I think you have to reflect again on the scale of bitcoin in the everyday life.

Volatility is volatility. By having your money in Bitcoin you are still taking a risk, your purchasing power is volatile. This, specially for old people is off putting. It's not for us since we understand the current context of Bitcoin, the technology etc, but for a totally clueless person, I understand the reticence. We are ahead of the 99% by at least 10 years by owning BTC alone.
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Thug for life!

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 04:22:35 PM

Volatility is volatility. By having your money in Bitcoin you are still taking a risk, your purchasing power is volatile. This, specially for old people is off putting. It's not for us since we understand the current context of Bitcoin, the technology etc, but for a totally clueless person, I understand the reticence. We are ahead of the 99% by at least 10 years by owning BTC alone.

I wonder whats gonna happen to the Greece economy once the government start printing their local currency, how would it stack up agaisnt the euro or btc alone, will the government take the peoples euro and just swap them by force that could be pretty volatile.
greBit

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 04:32:09 PM

Bitcoin has surpassed that point where it could have been saved and rescued, right after they made the default. The shit has hit the fans now.
Bitcoin cannot help Greece now, it could have helped smart ass Greeks who saw this coming and invested/transferred their money to bitcoins rather than let it get trapped in the bank and be screwed like this. Bitcoin cannot help Greece in any way now, not in a way to escape their doom.

HAHAHAHA, yes! PRECISELY! THE SHIT HAS HIT THE FANS! How the fuck can bitcoin help Greece? By helping citizens by bitcoins to keep their money with themselves? Boofuckinghoo. Their money is stuck in the banks, it can't be fucked with now. Most of the Greeks don't even know what the hell is bitcoin, they don't even care so all the fake media news saying Greeks are running to buy btc is all false marketing but yay, good for bitcoin Tongue Its in the news Wink
Borisz

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 05:58:18 PM

I wonder whats gonna happen to the Greece economy once the government start printing their local currency, how would it stack up agaisnt the euro or btc alone, will the government take the peoples euro and just swap them by force that could be pretty volatile.

I am not sure it can come to that. A government forcefully exchanging its peoples money to another currency? That would be....rude.

Regarding volatility, what do you think is more volatile, Euro or Bitcoins? Frankly, if I had to chose right now between a monetary system that has been running for centuries and one that was there for 6 years, I'd go for fiat and keep my savings in Euros. Considering the Greek crisis only, of course. A life's earnings cannot be gambled to see bitcoin whales cashing out big fat money if/when half Greece bought in.
needFREElunch

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Hi

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 06:18:18 AM

naaah! Bitcoins can give them some hope but not save Greece. The fiat money has already damaged the economy so much that I dont think a virtual currency like bitcoin can save Greece from its misery. Plus, you cannot get bitcoins by doing nothing, and the problem with Greece is that people are doing nothing..

HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 07:44:42 AM

naaah! Bitcoins can give them some hope but not save Greece. The fiat money has already damaged the economy so much that I dont think a virtual currency like bitcoin can save Greece from its misery. Plus, you cannot get bitcoins by doing nothing, and the problem with Greece is that people are doing nothing..

The problem with Greece is that people aren't able to do nothing. I think its time they take control in their own hands because their government has obviously screwed them over. I think there should be an economic revolt in Greece ad things should change dramatically for them, although it might take years to come for proper implementation. The change starts from within, and the change must start now.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 07:48:46 AM

There are serious capital controls implemented in Greece right now:

You can only withdraw €60 from your bank account in one day, and no overseas transfers.
That's insane!

If they'd switch to btc - then there would be no problems with protecting their savings.
I mean, blockchain can't just close and say 'oh no, we aren't working today - come tomorrow' like banks in Greece currently do.

No.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
moneyflow

Activity: 281

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 01:36:17 PM

Bitcoins will not be able to save greece. greece has gotten into a pit from which a virtual currency cannot pull it up. bitcoins are giving the greece public a sign of hope and rescue but i don't think that alone bitcoin will be able to heal the damage caused by the failed fiat money and the overall economy. the government needs to look for solutions. the only reason that people are relying so much on bitcoins there is that they don't have many options to choose from!
oxiyusuf

Activity: 462

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 02:31:50 PM

Might be able to save some people who have known bitcoin before this crisis.
this is because it is very difficult  to convert  the Greek currency to bitcoin.
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 02:42:13 PM

I think this is the right time for the bitcoin foundation to step in and offer more information support in Greece,
educating the Greeks at this point would be crucial for a larger greek crow to take bitcoin has an investment o a way to have financial freedom.

Borisz

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 06:36:19 PM

Might be able to save some people who have known bitcoin before this crisis.
this is because it is very difficult  to convert  the Greek currency to bitcoin.

The Greeks ave Euros as well, hence for them it would have been the same for them to convert as for anyone else in the Euro zone.

I think this is the right time for the bitcoin foundation to step in and offer more information support in Greece,
educating the Greeks at this point would be crucial for a larger greek crow to take bitcoin has an investment o a way to have financial freedom.

I think it would just mix things up. Bitcoin is not stable enough and the foundation couldn't make a promise that it was safe and that their funds were completely safe. By safe I mean as storage of value.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: