Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 07:08:41 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Small time miners - What do you do when ASICs hit and you don't upgrade?  (Read 10088 times)
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 06:45:54 AM

why solo mine? just join p2pool Smiley

p2pool is only a way to make sure you get more regular payouts than solo mining.  If you don't care about the payouts and are just mining for fun, then why load the network with more transactions?

People are already complaining that the blockchain is big and hard to download, p2pool is accelerating that because of all the small transactions per block found
im sry but this is total BS (bullshit), first take a look at how p2pool works and after that compare it with other websites/projects. The biggest transaction spammer is still SatoshiDice. 50-100 Transactions per 4-20 hours isnt alot for p2pool...

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 10:18:03 AM

I plan on picking up a few 7970s for dirt cheap either here or on ebay when the market gets flooded with people getting out of GPU mining. Maybe a 2nd for crossfire. Maybe throw one in my brother's computer to replace his 7770. Who knows?!
+1

Basically.

more or less retired.
Odi

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 10:40:00 PM

p2pool is only a way to make sure you get more regular payouts than solo mining.  If you don't care about the payouts and are just mining for fun, then why load the network with more transactions?

People are already complaining that the blockchain is big and hard to download, p2pool is accelerating that because of all the small transactions per block found
im sry but this is total BS (bullshit), first take a look at how p2pool works and after that compare it with other websites/projects. The biggest transaction spammer is still SatoshiDice. 50-100 Transactions per 4-20 hours isnt alot for p2pool...

I did look at how p2pool works.  That's why it took me a day before responding instead of just pulling BS out of nowhere, because p2pool piqued my interest.

There is a key difference between SatoshiDice, which is an application of bitcoin that pays transaction fees, and p2pool, which is a miner that is paid transaction fees and generates coins.  Now granted I did not know about SatoshiDice when posting the above statement, but this is the rationale behind my statement when looking at it purely from a miner perspective:

With p2pool, each block found has an extra set of addresses to distribute the block to the peers.  With a centralized pool or solo miner, there is only one address to reward the block reward and fees to.  So if mining was only done with p2pool and no centralized pools or solo miners, then every block found would have that extra set of addresses, and the blockchain would be much larger.

Granted right now, it could be 50-100 addresses every 4-20 hours (I didn't look into the numbers, but that is what you said).  But my thought process is if p2pool finds every block, difficulty of main-net is 1 block every 10 minutes, difficulty of p2pool-net is 1 block every 10 seconds.  That means average work for a block is 60, and so each main-net block has up to 180 unique addresses to pay to.  That is 3600 bytes just in the addresses compared to 20 bytes, with 1400 more bytes to represent the actual bitcoin amount to send to each versus 8 bytes.  That is over half a megabyte extra every day regardless of any transactions done.

Finally, note I said If you don't care about the payouts and are just mining for fun, then why load the network with more transactions? in my original post.  I like the idea of p2pool much better than centralized pools because it is better for network security.  So I think that half a megabyte every day is worth it for network security considering the size of the rest of the transactions.  But if you don't care about more regular payouts, then solo mining is still better for the network (both in terms of security and blockchain size)

Bitcoin is like a variation of Schrödinger's Cat. Everything about it is both scam and fully legit at the same time until you open the box. - ElectricMucus
K1773R
Legendary

/dev/null

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 11:08:05 PM

I did look at how p2pool works.  That's why it took me a day before responding instead of just pulling BS out of nowhere, because p2pool piqued my interest.

There is a key difference between SatoshiDice, which is an application of bitcoin that pays transaction fees, and p2pool, which is a miner that is paid transaction fees and generates coins.  Now granted I did not know about SatoshiDice when posting the above statement, but this is the rationale behind my statement when looking at it purely from a miner perspective:

With p2pool, each block found has an extra set of addresses to distribute the block to the peers.  With a centralized pool or solo miner, there is only one address to reward the block reward and fees to.  So if mining was only done with p2pool and no centralized pools or solo miners, then every block found would have that extra set of addresses, and the blockchain would be much larger.

Granted right now, it could be 50-100 addresses every 4-20 hours (I didn't look into the numbers, but that is what you said).  But my thought process is if p2pool finds every block, difficulty of main-net is 1 block every 10 minutes, difficulty of p2pool-net is 1 block every 10 seconds.  That means average work for a block is 60, and so each main-net block has up to 180 unique addresses to pay to.  That is 3600 bytes just in the addresses compared to 20 bytes, with 1400 more bytes to represent the actual bitcoin amount to send to each versus 8 bytes.  That is over half a megabyte extra every day regardless of any transactions done.

Finally, note I said If you don't care about the payouts and are just mining for fun, then why load the network with more transactions? in my original post.  I like the idea of p2pool much better than centralized pools because it is better for network security.  So I think that half a megabyte every day is worth it for network security considering the size of the rest of the transactions.  But if you don't care about more regular payouts, then solo mining is still better for the network (both in terms of security and blockchain size)
as for now it arent alot of transactions and i think it will stay that way since ppls dont really want to set it up nor understand backgrounds etc. the problem with the huge blockchain already exists and therefore i hope we find a good solution soon.
im sry if i insulted u in any way Wink

If you don't care about the payouts and are just mining for fun, then why load the network with more transactions?
well if you mine for fun then you want to see some BTC coming in dont you? so why not picking the pool with the most payout Smiley

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
bitvientiane

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 11:23:37 AM

A 10kW electric furnace produces the same amount of heat equivalent to 10 kW of GPUs. 

This is not really true, as some of the energy get's converted into noise. For all intents and purposes this is correct though Wink.
sgravina

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 02:31:00 PM

A 10kW electric furnace produces the same amount of heat equivalent to 10 kW of GPUs. 

This is not really true, as some of the energy get's converted into noise. For all intents and purposes this is correct though Wink.

The noise get converted to heat too.  Not much heat but still heat.  It's all heat in the end.
Odi

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 09:05:31 PM

well if you mine for fun then you want to see some BTC coming in dont you? so why not picking the pool with the most payout Smiley

If my ASIC pre-order never ships and others ship, I may point my GPUs to p2pool.  But if it arrives, then I will probably take out my GPUs and put the nVidia one back in.

I don't think I would point my ASIC at p2pool since I haven't really studied the effects of increasing your own difficulty for the benefit of the smaller guys in the pool.

Bitcoin is like a variation of Schrödinger's Cat. Everything about it is both scam and fully legit at the same time until you open the box. - ElectricMucus
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 03:01:34 AM

With p2pool, each block found has an extra set of addresses to distribute the block to the peers.  With a centralized pool or solo miner, there is only one address to reward the block reward and fees to.

You do realize that p2pool isn't the only pool to distribute blocks directly to miners?

if p2pool finds every block

A virtual impossibility.

Buy & Hold
scrybe

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 03:31:57 AM

The noise get converted to heat too.  Not much heat but still heat.  It's all heat in the end.

But isn't it the transformer outside (on a pole, in a box, or underground) that is likely to heat up most from noise?  Undecided

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 02:20:59 PM

Im most likeley going to end up "out of the mining game" because I dont have acces to competitive electricity-rates. But I started a small bitcoin buisness and will see if I can grow: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=120686.0

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 02:42:38 PM

Im most likeley going to end up "out of the mining game" because I dont have acces to competitive electricity-rates. But I started a small bitcoin buisness and will see if I can grow: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=120686.0
looks good, best of luck with the venture Smiley
we need more things to do with our coins Cheesy

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Odi

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 05:45:29 PM

You do realize that p2pool isn't the only pool to distribute blocks directly to miners?

No I didn't realize.  But I've only mined in 2 pools ever, and I haven't studied how each pool works

A virtual impossibility.

I realize that, but even if it is a block every hour or every other block, the overhead is still there.  And you yourself brought up that other pools do direct payment, so if you combine all pools that do this, and combined they find every other block, my thought process is still valid.

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 05:50:37 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84569.msg1299719#msg1299719  Grin Grin Grin

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
K1773R
Legendary

/dev/null

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 06:12:57 PM

No I didn't realize.  But I've only mined in 2 pools ever, and I haven't studied how each pool works

A virtual impossibility.

I realize that, but even if it is a block every hour or every other block, the overhead is still there.  And you yourself brought up that other pools do direct payment, so if you combine all pools that do this, and combined they find every other block, my thought process is still valid.
again, look at how many transactions are with satoshidice, compared to p2pool, p2pool is like 0.1% or even less...

[GPG Public Key]
Odi

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 11:06:31 PM

again, look at how many transactions are with satoshidice, compared to p2pool, p2pool is like 0.1% or even less...

There is a key difference between SatoshiDice, which is an application of bitcoin that pays transaction fees, and p2pool, which is a miner that is paid transaction fees and generates coins.

When bitcoin hits mainstream, the block reward will be small and mining profit comes from transaction fees. Transaction fees are partially based on size already, and in the future I believe that it will increasingly depend on size.

if you don't care about more regular payouts, then solo mining is still better for the network (both in terms of security and blockchain size)

Meatball

Activity: 378

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 07:30:28 AM

When bitcoin hits mainstream, the block reward will be small and mining profit comes from transaction fees. Transaction fees are partially based on size already, and in the future I believe that it will increasingly depend on size.

I would love to know the percentage of people involved in BTC that are not:

A) Miners
B) Speculators

What do we think the percentage of people using BTC are actually 'using' BTC.
hjr29

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 08:16:22 AM

A) Miners
B) Speculators

That's something that I'd be interested to know too. Right now, it looks like a lot of interest in Bitcoin is there purely for mining and speculation.
Liquid

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 10:33:12 AM

keep on mining PPcoin  Cheesy

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
Odi

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 07:30:00 PM

A) Miners
B) Speculators

Since bitcoin is still in its infancy, I would say almost everyone.  What bitcoin needs today to start on the path to becoming mainstream are merchants who will accept bitcoin.  Without merchants, it will never become mainstream.

But the biggest problem for that is bitcoin to fiat exchange rate.  It fluctuates so much that businesses would have to change their prices too often for their liking, so the merchants that accept it now are probably also speculators banking on the fact that the bitcoins they make today are going to be worth a lot more next year.  That is why you see service-oriented merchants accepting bitcoins more than product-oriented merchants.  Their fiat costs are low, and so they are essentially working for free hoping that in a few years, they would be making 10x what they could have charged in fiat today (speculation merchants).

bels (OP)

Activity: 109

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 09:13:17 PM

Since bitcoin is still in its infancy, I would say almost everyone.  What bitcoin needs today to start on the path to becoming mainstream are merchants who will accept bitcoin.  Without merchants, it will never become mainstream.

This is harder than it sounds.  As a business trying to deal in bitcoin I have found it very difficult.  The reasons I have found it difficult is people for some reason think that I should be practically giving away the hardware I sell when I do it in bitcoin, who knows why that is but most times people want to offer my 2/3rds what I would sell something in USD for.  Also, because there is a big problem with trust transactions have been taking me longer to close.

I'm going to keep trying for now to sell things in bitcoin but I don't know for how much longer because it has started being a bit of a pain in the neck.

Selling computer hardware for BTC.  PM me and let me know what you are looking for.
Satisfied customers: Paraipan,Jack1Rip1BurnIt,psy,mb300sd,TheMan,BTCHero,SAC
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: