Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:56:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 177 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why have Bitcoin instead of cash?  (Read 246094 times)
BTCfan97 (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 06:10:49 AM

I recently paid for some local tacos using Bitcoin. My friend who was unfamilar with Bitcoin thought it was strange, like I technically didn't pay for them or something. We got into discussing Bitcoin and one of the questions he asked me was:
"Why would you want Bitcoins instead of cash?". For a second I didn't know what to say; then I thought about it and here is what I came up with. Feel free to contribute to this.

1) More security (especially if you are careful).

2) Bitcoins are a potential investment, cash is not. Paper currency only really goes down in value, Bitcoins have a lot of potential to be worth more as time goes on.

3) Fast, worldwide transactions at your fingertips.

4) Similar to #3, but it's a universal currency. It's legal in most countries of the world and you don't need any kind of currency conversion to send money to people in a different country than your own.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 06:28:36 AM

Very good points. I'd like to add:

5) Banks can't steal it from you. You may think they can't steal cash either; that's not true. With central banks printing money by the hundreds of billions, and commercial banks creating money as debt like there's no tomorrow, they're effectively lowering the relative worth of your money in their advantage. Remember: stealing 5% off your deposit, or increasing the total money supply by 5% by creating it out of thin air, has essentially the same effect.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
BIT-Sharon

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 06:33:37 AM

Besides, Bitcoin is an invisible gold and do not be restricted by the customs.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 06:47:21 AM

Besides, Bitcoin is an invisible gold and do not be restricted by the customs.

Very good point! This basically allows you to bring more than 10k in "cash" around the glob in your pocket without customs having a chance to find out.. Can potentially be problematic though, helping illegal transactions.
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2015, 07:05:26 AM

The way I see it, Bitcoin gives us the true freedom of currency. We are not dependent upon any system to use our money. So it basically is and always will be BTCFREEDOMBTC

Stn

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 07:18:20 AM

I recently paid for some local tacos using Bitcoin. My friend who was unfamilar with Bitcoin thought it was strange, like I technically didn't pay for them or something.
The friend is strange. If you would pay with credit card he also will be surprised? With the card transaction technically you also don't leave anything tangible in the shop. No principal difference.
Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 07:25:10 AM

I recently paid for some local tacos using Bitcoin. My friend who was unfamilar with Bitcoin thought it was strange, like I technically didn't pay for them or something.
The friend is strange. If you would pay with credit card he also will be surprised? With the card transaction technically you also don't leave anything tangible in the shop. No principal difference.
True. How does this friend get his monthly salary? I bet he does his job, yet his boss does not give him a bag with money at the end of the month. So then isn't he technically working for free?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
NyeFe

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 07:25:13 AM

6) Bitcoin can be in virtual and physical state simultaneously without the need for conversion I.e. online wallets and, for example, PaperSafe

MicroDApp.com—Smart Contract developers. Lets build a decentralized future!
pooya87
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 10410

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 07:27:22 AM

I recently paid for some local tacos using Bitcoin. My friend who was unfamilar with Bitcoin thought it was strange, like I technically didn't pay for them or something. We got into discussing Bitcoin and one of the questions he asked me was:
"Why would you want Bitcoins instead of cash?". For a second I didn't know what to say; then I thought about it and here is what I came up with. Feel free to contribute to this.

1) More security (especially if you are careful).

2) Bitcoins are a potential investment, cash is not. Paper currency only really goes down in value, Bitcoins have a lot of potential to be worth more as time goes on.

3) Fast, worldwide transactions at your fingertips.

4) Similar to #3, but it's a universal currency. It's legal in most countries of the world and you don't need any kind of currency conversion to send money to people in a different country than your own.

i totally agree with # 1, 3 and 4. especially 3 and 4. it is the best way to transfer money between countries , and in long distances. especially since it is so much faster than any other way and also you should pay the lowest fees in order to do it.

but if you are looking for reasons on "why choose bitcoin over cash" number 2 is not a very good argument.
because while bitcoin has potential of going up in value (as we can see right now in the market), it is also very volatile which means it can go down the same way it went up. and this IMO makes it not a suitable substitute for cash.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2015, 07:29:02 AM

-snip-
Don't mind your friend. The majority  of humans are ignorant sheeps that have no mind of their own. They can not think outside of the set up rules, and it will be very hard for them to realize how good Bitcoin is and all its potential. I've encountered this on several ocassions and it pretty much happens with technology as well.

You should get yourself very well informed about the situation in Greece and the one in Cyprus last year. Then you could explain to him how the government would have not be able to steal the peoples money if they had been using Bitcoin before it happened.        

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 07:43:08 AM

cash are not that easy to use in different countries, you need to exchange them everytime, a pain in the ass, bitcoin is a global currency, and very easy too move also

and cannot be faked like cash so easily, add on top of this, the less fees required...
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2015, 08:34:34 AM

Another thing you can add is, you can keep 1-100000 worth of Bitcoins in your home safe from theft, you can't do the same with cash.

The way I see it, Bitcoin gives us the true freedom of currency. We are not dependent upon any system to use our money. So it basically is and always will be BTCFREEDOMBTC

Well we are dependent on Mining farms and let's hope there are no more stress tests as they really disrupt things.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
BTCPOOLMINING

Activity: 242

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 08:40:27 AM

if you are traveling to somewhere you can easily take thousands or millions of usd worth bitcoin with you easily without any problem but you can't take that much cash with you, also they don't check your phones of pendrive for digital currencies, so you are safe from amy kind of risk of moving money aboard.

Hopalong

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 09:58:23 AM

cash are not that easy to use in different countries, you need to exchange them everytime, a pain in the ass, bitcoin is a global currency, and very easy too move also

and cannot be faked like cash so easily, add on top of this, the less fees required...

I can use my mastercard in a lot of contries without even knowing what currency they have.
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 10:13:22 AM

I think that cash isn't a safe thing, as their values drop by time (inflation). However with bitcoin there is no such problem (there is a limit on total amount of BTC, which is 21m) and their value could stand.
BTW bitcoin have a larger security over cash, because when some thief steal some cash, no one can prove the cash is yours. However with bitcoin's signed message, we can proof that the address (and hence the coins) belongs to the message-signer.

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 10:22:48 AM

I can use my mastercard in a lot of contries without even knowing what currency they have.
and mastercard thanks you for that.
I guess, besides not knowing the currency, you also don't know the fees you are paying.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 10:25:37 AM

7) Bitcoins can be backed up. When you lose a wallet with cash, it's gone. When you lose a wallet with bitcoins, you still have a backup.

8) Bitcoins can be password protected. When someone steals your wallet with cash, it's gone. When someone steals your wallet with bitcoins, they can see how much is in there, but they can't spend a dime.

Two very unique advantages of Bitcoin over cash, imho. Helps a lot in avoiding losses.

Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 10:27:23 AM

And without knowing what ridiculous fees and conversion rates they will charge you. But rest assured, they will be ridiculous.

The whole credit card system is hopelessly old fashioned, and you're paying for that. Whether you know it or not.

ammy009

Activity: 303

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2015, 10:36:53 AM

I think bitcoin is more secure than cash, but, people must have the basic knowledge about computer, internet, virus, trojans & malwares. If people shall be trained about the security of bitcoin wallet, then, it's more hard to steal their coins .........

So, some websites must be developed to train people online for teaching them about basics of bitcoin, wallet security, offline transaction, cold storage, paper wallet, hardware wallets, multi-sig wallet etc.

If anybody knows this kind of websites then please, list here in your reply ...... Grin

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 10:51:44 AM
Last edit: July 11, 2015, 04:16:47 PM by Amph

we are talking about cash not electronic money, also your other issue is the withdrawal limit on basically any atm, you know that with your master card you cannot withdrawn more than a certain amount, with bitcoin there are no restriction of any sort

yes you can use your mastercard but they will charge you a great fee for conversion, with bitcoin you don't need to convert in the local currency because bitcoin works globally
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 177 »
  Print  

Jump to: