Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 07:49:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dash, most viewed thread .. least talked about thread, why ?  (Read 2170 times)
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 01:21:30 AM

Here's a good analysis of money without any pretentious jargon or logical fallacies:

Yeah, I've read that one and I imagine you think a "viewkey" is analogous to taking a gemstone out of your pocket and showing that it's real or some similar concept. Interesting story but wrong conclusion.

(CLUE: Monero is the pocket, not the gemstone).
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2015, 04:59:18 AM

Here's a good analysis of money without any pretentious jargon or logical fallacies:

Yeah, I've read that one and I imagine you think a "viewkey" is analogous to taking a gemstone out of your pocket and showing that it's real or some similar concept. Interesting story, but I can't see how people can trust math even though they do it with taxes online, video games, the engineering of dams and buildings, to drive cars, to fly planes, to fly to Mars.... I just don't get why anyone would trust it even though it is open source and I can go validate the code right now, so I'm going to take the next couple months and validate the dash blockchain by hand, that's if no hacker or mobster interrupts me with demands for my balance--why does cash have to be so much harder online  Huh

(CLUE: you haven't got one).

FTFY

valentino008

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 09:56:19 AM

https://dashtalk.org/threads/dash-strategy-update.5636/
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2015, 12:46:12 PM

open wallets expose everyone's balance to thieves, hackers, the mafia, and a whole host of other dangerous characters besides the obligatory mention of LEA.

Not to mention business competitors. I'm a fan of transparency at gut level, but I see the other side of the question. If you were running a business, would you be comfortable with your competitors being able to trace what you bought and when? Plus, who you paid and when?

If you're running (say) a convenience store, you might not mind at all: the value-added of a convenience store is convenience. (I might well pay double for a Coke & chips if it means I don't have to spend the added time in a big-box and travel the added distance.)  But if you're running a dollar store, where the competitive advantage is buying your supplies cheap, you might mind.

If you're running a start-up - or preparing to - you might mind an awful lot. If you're the head of a company lab whose value-added is patenting, you will mind an awful lot.

So there's a glaringly definite use case for stealth addresses, particularly if open ledgers mean a push towards ultra-transparency in the business world. That's why I'm keeping an eye on the Cryptonote world for any sign that Assets or colored coins are going to be added. 

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 12:59:14 PM

open wallets expose everyone's balance to thieves, hackers, the mafia, and a whole host of other dangerous characters besides the obligatory mention of LEA.

Not to mention business competitors. I'm a fan of transparency at gut level, but I see the other side of the question. If you were running a business, would you be comfortable with your competitors being able to trace what you bought and when? Plus, who you paid and when?

If you're running (say) a convenience store, you might not mind at all: the value-added of a convenience store is convenience. (I might well pay double for a Coke & chips if it means I don't have to spend the added time in a big-box and travel the added distance.)  But if you're running a dollar store, where the competitive advantage is buying your supplies cheap, you might mind.

If you're running a start-up - or preparing to - you might mind an awful lot. If you're the head of a company lab whose value-added is patenting, you will mind an awful lot.

So there's a glaringly definite use case for stealth addresses, particularly if open ledgers mean a push towards ultra-transparency in the business world. That's why I'm keeping an eye on the Cryptonote world for any sign that Assets or colored coins are going to be added. 

See https://getmonero.org/design-goals/, under research goals. It's far away though, but will be there in the future Smiley

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2015, 02:30:26 PM

... That's why I'm keeping an eye on the Cryptonote world for any sign that Assets or colored coins are going to be added. 

See https://getmonero.org/design-goals/, under research goals. It's far away though, but will be there in the future Smiley

Thanks! I'll wait for the news.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: