Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:59:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Monero Marketing: Is It Time?  (Voting closed: August 18, 2015, 09:17:53 PM)
Yes, the world is ready for fungible e-cash! - 12 (17.9%)
No, the 6GB/RAM database is a deal-killer. - 18 (26.9%)
No, we need an Official GUI. - 27 (40.3%)
No, we need multi-sig support. - 1 (1.5%)
Sort of, let's evaluate efforts case-by-case. - 9 (13.4%)
Total Voters: 67

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero Marketing: Is It Time?  (Read 3204 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Gillette

Activity: 744
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:05:18 AM

Before marketing, I think XMR must have at least one direct fiat/XMR exchange.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
newb4now

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:48:45 AM

Well unfortunately there is not one. Monero has two!
Gillette

Activity: 744

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 10:37:19 AM

Which ones?
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2015, 10:52:42 AM

Which ones?

rumor has it there's actually 3:

and to clarify, I guess altquick is not an "exchange", its merely a place to buy Monero directly with fiat.

https://www.altquick.co/buy-2.php?coin=XMR

and apparently xstock.io, as indicated here: http://moneroinvestment.com/?page_id=19 , but it looks like XMR is not live yet

and there's a 3rd someone mentioned...

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2015, 11:01:53 AM

you have been marketing for 1 year now with your relentless hateful spam

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 03:21:31 PM

It is not marketing what we are doing here.
Monero will attract crypto virgins with piles of fiat money.
Bitcoiners who are smart enough have joined in already, more or less. It is time to look for people who are not even aware of crypto and introduce Monero to them as the best coin ever made.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2015, 03:56:49 PM

I think some issues need fixed first...

1) GUI wallet
2) Exchange support - having everything on 1 exchange is a real turn off for me. It looks kinda bad that even Crapsy does not have it listed. If it could be listed on BTC-e that would be amazing, but wouldn't hold my breath.

The database issue needs fixed, but GUI being the big one.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 05:24:35 PM

I think some issues need fixed first...

1) GUI wallet
2) Exchange support - having everything on 1 exchange is a real turn off for me. It looks kinda bad that even Crapsy does not have it listed. If it could be listed on BTC-e that would be amazing, but wouldn't hold my breath.

The database issue needs fixed, but GUI being the big one.

Regarding 1: I responded to another guy regarding this, will quote myself from another forum:

In addition: https://forum.getmonero.org/1/news-announcements-and-editorials/190/editorial-why-is-the-official-gui-wallet-not-released-yet

This is from smooth (core team member):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=753252.msg11888169#msg11888169

There are various pieces that are needed as prerequisites for the GUI including improving the core APIs. That work has been steadily progressing (mostly by oranjuice), but doesn't have a high degree of visibility. It is the kind of nuts-and-bolts work that is absolutely necessary to turn the half-finished prototype we started with into a maintainable project that can thrive for many years.

Getting the DB into a release-ready state has also been considered an effective prerequisite for a useful GUI as well since very few people would ever use a GUI with multi gigabyte RAM requirements.

My expectation is that once the DB is released there will start to be much more visible progress on the GUI.

In addition, some other things (like libraryzing, see -> https://getmonero.org/design-goals/) need to be done before a proper working GUI could be released. It wouldn't make sense to release it in bits, because it wouldn't properly function then.

Furthermore, the design is already finished and is easily wired up when the preceeding fundamentals are completed.

So in conclusion, we have to be patient for a little longer Wink

Regarding 2: I concur with you, however in the upcoming months 3 fiat <-> XMR will come online (one of them is very close to release). Furthermore, Cryptsy said they would add XMR with their revamp, which has an ETA of 1 September. Ofcourse most of this is currently speculation, but it gives some hope that in the foreseeable future the share of Poloniex (volumewise) will dilute.

Regarding bolded part (DB): A new tagged version, which will include the database, is close to release. NoodleDoodle did a lot of work in order to optimize the performance of the DB, see this commit for example -> https://github.com/NoodleDoodleNoodleDoodleNoodleDoodleNoo/bitmonero/commit/4de799e1a84f1b88b95b580a6abfa95dfeec547a

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
iCEBREAKER (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2015, 07:16:23 PM
Last edit: July 16, 2015, 07:50:20 PM by iCEBREAKER

Bitcoiners who are smart enough have joined in already, more or less. It is time to look for people who are not even aware of crypto and introduce Monero to them as the best coin ever made.

Partially disagree.

Yes, the smart (olde-tyme Bitcoiner) money is to a large extent already properly (cautiously) diversified into XMR.

But it's not yet time to approach crypto-virgins (IE dumb money).

One, because we need more tutorials, tutors, ambassadors, fiat portals, GUIs, etc. to lower the barriers to entry and learning curve.

Two, because we shouldn't skip the middle step between smart money and dumb money, which is hot money.  The hot money in Bitcoin (and Litecoin) isn't remotely aware XMR exists.  And we don't have the vehicles like GBTC/BTC-E/BTC38 needed to absorb it.

Three, dumb money follows hot money.  Once we get hot money aboard, they will do the dumb money marketing for us (so they can take their profits thanks to ostensibly greater fools).

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
newb4now

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 07:37:55 PM

Partially disagree.

Yes, the smart (olde-tyme Bitcoiner) money is already to a large extent already properly (cautiously) diversified into XMR.

But it's not yet time to approach crypto-virgins (IE dumb money).

One, because we need more tutorials, tutors, ambassadors, fiat portals, GUIs, etc. to lower the barriers to entry and learning curve.

Two, because we shouldn't skip the middle step between smart money and dumb money, which is hot money.  The hot money in Bitcoin (and Litecoin) isn't remotely aware XMR exists.  And we don't have the vehicles like GBTC/BTC-E/BTC38 needed to absorb it.

Three, the dumb money follows the hot money.  Once we get the hot money aboard, they will do the dumb money marketing for us (so they can take their profits thanks to ostensibly greater fools).

Keep contacting the exchanges you just quoted. For the less tech savvy exchanges like Cryptsy we should have an XMR dev help them get set up
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 09:17:25 PM

I agree with the general idea behind icebreakers post. Monero isn't ready for a widespread marketing push yet.

However, I have no problem with making it easily accessible to those with technical know-how and an interest in learning, but merely lack English as their primary language. To that end, let's keep up with the translations in addition to the core dev work that is already underway.

newb4now

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 09:38:13 PM

I have no problem with making it easily accessible to those with technical know-how and an interest in learning, but merely lack English as their primary language. To that end, let's keep up with the translations in addition to the core dev work that is already underway.

So far I think every single community member can agree on this. Crowdfunding campaigns to pay for translations into multiple languages seems to be helping
iCEBREAKER (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2015, 11:12:17 PM

We can launch a wallet branded "Monero Official GUI". That would do the trick.

Give it that title, but keep it as a CLI Cheesy

And transactions must be constructed using Edlin.   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 03:29:02 AM

I agree with the general idea behind icebreakers post. Monero isn't ready for a widespread marketing push yet.

However, I have no problem with making it easily accessible to those with technical know-how and an interest in learning, but merely lack English as their primary language. To that end, let's keep up with the translations in addition to the core dev work that is already underway.

there are windows users who might have the technical know-how in general.... but compiling yourself is another story... lacking english is not the problem... just give everythign its time and dont over hesitate
HCLivess
Legendary

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2015, 10:02:30 AM

I am getting an increasing feeling that there is only one person with tor involved in XMR, which would make it the biggest scam in the history of mankind

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 12:13:24 PM

I am getting an increasing feeling that there is only one person with tor involved in XMR, which would make it the biggest scam in the history of mankind

I am getting an increasing feeling that there is only one troll bashing Monero with many alter egos, which would make the Monero trolling the biggest scam in the history of mankind.
hodlmybtc

Activity: 700

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2015, 12:27:18 PM

Give me what you are smoking buddy Roll Eyes
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 12:42:54 PM

Funny. I get this feeling that people make vague unsubstantiated claims without any evidence whatsoever. Like, maybe Bryan Williams is behind XMR and is just wearing a mask when he poses as the various Monero developers. Dude...do you filter anything or is just stream of consciousness from brain to keyboard?

HCLivess
Legendary

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2015, 01:17:47 PM

If you talk about FUD on a monero thread, you are highly delusional

HCLivess
Legendary

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2015, 01:18:50 PM

Give me what you are smoking buddy Roll Eyes

Go to monerotalk.org please

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: