Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:20:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL Requests Input  (Read 34788 times)
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3521

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 11:50:48 PM

p_shep
death and taxes

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dlasher

Activity: 467
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 12:02:08 AM

Yes, we're all in Australia, in various different cities.

Give Con's weight and involvement in the community, I think it would be well worth the price of the ticket and hotel to have him fly over to inspect/review/etc the product. Consider it BFL.

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 12:56:24 AM

p_shep
Actually, that's not a bad recommendation.

Give Con's weight and involvement in the community, I think it would be well worth the price of the ticket and hotel to have him fly over to inspect/review/etc the product. Consider it BFL.
He's already said it's not worth it. It's a really long flight to have to do twice in such a short amount of time, just so BFL can prove themselves. Now if they decided to give him a free SC Single...

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 12:58:17 AM

If selected for the visit, I will gladly bring the following:

-Kill-A-Watt meter
-HD video camera
-Rebel T2i DSLR
-Laptop for independent testing of ASIC veracity

Hey I have all that stuff too!!! Tongue

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 01:04:24 AM

Send Kano Smiley
Definitely wont be me Smiley

Besides being broke (I doubt I'd be able to afford a plane ticket Aus <-> USA any time in the ... distant ... future),
my posts about BFL have been too negative to be considered appropriate for the job Smiley

The plane flight isn't all that bad - I've done it 3 times there and back.
That's what Kindle e-inks are for!
(quiet, with wifi off no interference, runs forever without charging, small enough, makes you look intelligent Cheesy ... wish I had one back then)

Meanwhile - people on this side of the planet just need an SC Single to arrive by courier to resolve the question about 'if' they exist and meet specs ... getting them to work in cgminer shouldn't take long ... as long as whoever designed the bitstream didn't do anything silly ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 01:07:23 AM

I'm probably not the best choice for actually reviewing hardware but I want to go just to get a picture with Sonny and Josh to prove to the crazies that I'm not a sockpuppet Grin
psilan

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 01:20:06 AM

I'm probably not the best choice for actually reviewing hardware but I want to go just to get a picture with Sonny and Josh to prove to the crazies that I'm not a sockpuppet Grin

But how would this prove anything to the "crazies"?

I don't care either way, I just think you wrote a terrible interview (used term loosely! Tongue) - then deleted the comments because they were scathing of you and not BFL.
Reddit was along the same lines of comments, not anti BFL at all. More telling you that you wrote an opinion piece.

Reference: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/10cnnj/an_interview_with_butterfly_labs_exec_sonny/
"Spill over from fighting" Huh It's just criticism of your writing.

But then again, maybe you would be the best person;
Quote from: enmaku
I've seen enough schematics and details that I could probably build my own ASIC line from their specs if I had the VC

dip
abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 01:30:43 AM

Ok.. how about this...

Bitcoin meetup at BFL's place.  Anyone that wants to attend?

Oh.. and I believe Sonny is Greek?.. maybe him and I can shoot some shit in Greek...  I'll bring the ouzo.  Tsipouro or Raki is also available if anyone prefers.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 02:33:08 AM

Having held a TSSCI security clearance myself, I'm gonna have to call bullshit on your story, thanks for trying though.

Having held a TSSCI clearance, you should understand then the impact that, say, a credit score, financial inquiries, etc. have on your eligibility to maintain that clearance.  The point of the clearance is to assess the risk of compromise of privileged information.  If you have money problems, drug problems, or criminal associates, you are not going to maintain that clearance except under, oh yeah, SCI terms.

Otherwise, this is another of your attempts at misdirection.

You're right, I understand it very well, that's why I am calling your story bullshit.  Either you don't hold a clearance or you have no understanding as to how that clearance works.  In either case, your reasoning is bullshit... but that's neither here nor there for the purposes of this discussion, since the end result is the same.

You didn't hold a clearance of any import.  I'm guessing if you did, it was secret at best.  Stop exaggerating.

Hey Reese... why don't you go on and read line 37 to the crowd here.  Tell us all what it says, go on.

How's that fake security clearance of yours coming along?  Did they come to take you away because of pirate?  Meh... like I said, either you're lying about your clearance or you have absolutely no clue what so ever how a security clearance works.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 02:33:20 AM

But how would this prove anything to the "crazies"?

I don't care either way, I just think you wrote a terrible interview (used term loosely! Tongue) - then deleted the comments because they were scathing of you and not BFL.
Reddit was along the same lines of comments, not anti BFL at all. More telling you that you wrote an opinion piece.

Reference: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/10cnnj/an_interview_with_butterfly_labs_exec_sonny/
"Spill over from fighting" Huh It's just criticism of your writing.

But then again, maybe you would be the best person;
Quote from: enmaku
I've seen enough schematics and details that I could probably build my own ASIC line from their specs if I had the VC

I've said it a dozen times in as many places but I'll go ahead and reiterate it now: The word "interview" was poorly chosen - I did in fact interview Sonny but so much of it was off the record that it became impossible to write the article like an actual interview. If I could re-write the piece with a different title I would but it's already out there. There's no undo on the internet. I've also directly addressed the "I could build my own ASIC line" quote as being hyperbole that any reasonable person should grasp the meaning of. I'm so tired of fighting over this article...

OP, I'm sorry for bringing this here and I hope that everyone has the respect to take the "let's flame Dave" movement back to the other threads and let this one be productive. I'm apparently not allowed to make a joke in public until there are ASICs physically in peoples hands  Undecided
psilan

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 02:55:08 AM

How's that fake security clearance of yours coming along?  Did they come to take you away because of pirate?  Meh... like I said, either you're lying about your clearance or you have absolutely no clue what so ever how a security clearance works.

Do you think you would pass one now with your bitcoin association? They aren't exactly fans (publicly anyway).

dip
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 03:05:00 AM

Yes, I have no doubt I could.

Queue Reeses' response "Oh well, it doesn't matter anyway because _______"

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Coinoisseur

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:13:44 AM

What's the office address for BFL in KC?

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

ChipGeek

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:19:30 AM

I'd like to add my name to the list.  I'm fairly new to the bitcoin community but I'm an EE and I work in an ASIC design company (CPU design - not bitcoin mining).  BFL_Josh can verify my real life identity and the company I work for from my order on 8/8/12 of a Bitforce Single (arrived 9/24/12) and an SC Single upgrade.  I am familiar with the entire process of designing full custom chips from initial design to full production.  I am also familiar with board design and manufacturing.  I really want to see with my own eyes the state of the SC designs and the level of professionalism of their manufacturing facilities.  Hell - I'll even pay my own travel expenses. 

Summary:
- EE doing custom chip and board design and manufacture for 20+ years
- Own 1 Single (for 1 day) & have 1 SC Single upgrade on order
- I am willing to pay part/all of my travel expenses.

PS - I like the idea of an "open house" day at BFL.  1 or 2 sponsored people (travel expenses paid by BFL) plus anyone else that will pay their own way.

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
Minor

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:22:13 AM

First choice DeathAndTaxes and gmaxwell

I don't really know Glasswalker, but his self sales pitch above was fairly convincing.
Plus he's Canadian and they're mostly harmless.

Joel Katz is also a good potential choice.

As for Casascius, I still haven't made up my mind as to whether or not he is running the longest long con ever.
I'm only half joking here, as I have not seen any proof that he hasn't kept a copy of the private keys for all the 29K+ physical bitcoins that he has sold so far, not to mention the gold bars.
(That's over $300,000 today and rising...)

In any case we need an EE going.
Someone able to tell the difference between an FPGA, a structured ASIC and an ASIC. (Any Altera employee out there?)
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:22:26 AM

What's the office address for BFL in KC?
Their Contact Us page says they just have a PO box, but then it also links to an address.

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:31:23 AM

I'd vote for Reeses if he's interested in going. He might be an abrasive asshole, but he's the only one I've seen on the forums not related to BFL or a competitor talk about actually using chip design packages.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.  You leave room for doubt?  Besides, everyone knows that Cadence products crash and are held together with so much hacked up special-case code and prayer.  It's not exactly a secret...is it?  Wink

I can't go for a couple reasons.  The only necessary one is that my wife has an insane security clearance, meaning that I have to be cleared as well.  Given what is documented about Sonny, I cannot risk her job because of a forum.  Not because she makes a lot, but because she really likes litigating and would divorce me in a hot second if I engaged in illicit activity.  Undecided  

I'm not confident enough in BFL to keep me out of the shit.

Consider this the BFL equivalent of the Pirate dinner, except with airfare, hotel, and a "tour" of assembly facilities.  I think it's a sufficiently rigged demo and Sonny is going back to his scammer bag of tricks to calm down the restless horde.

Sorry, Josh.  I call it as I see it.  Nice distraction, though.  That's why it's such an effective technique.  Have one or two "hot" girls who laugh at their jokes guide through the visit, offer them free t-shirts and mugs, and they'll be yours for life.

To use a trite forum cliché, this is right out of the playbook.

EDIT: Plus, I'm not carrying a logic analyzer on the plane.  Can you imagine getting that through security, even at SFO?

You are something else Reeses Roll Eyes

If your so worried about "clearances" & "moral standards",why are you dabbleing in a cryptocurrency that lends itself,for now,mostly to money luandering & drug sales on silk road??

Does your wife know about this "darkside" of bitcoin?? Or have you kept that a "secret"??

This is why most of us find you to be a dick.................

I'm a recovering alky & drug addict,16 years clean & sober.I know folks can change,I did.But,I have no criminal record except for drunk & disorderly & the like.

So I'm guessing you wouldn't think I'm an upstanding citizen due to my past either,whatever...............

BTW,I'm all for yochdog being selected too Smiley

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:34:53 AM

why are you dabbleing in a cryptocurrency that lends itself,for now,mostly to money luandering & drug sales on silk road??
I think this was true in the beginning, but surely not anymore? How active is silk road?

bitarrow

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:36:47 AM

Will the 2 participants be subjected to blindfolds and secured in the back of a van on the ride from the airport?  Grin
Sounds exciting
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:41:13 AM

why are you dabbleing in a cryptocurrency that lends itself,for now,mostly to money luandering & drug sales on silk road??
I think this was true in the beginning, but surely not anymore? How active is silk road?

I don't know,just using that tidbit for fuel  Grin

Not sure how to find the info either  Embarrassed

He tries to be "holier than thou" & that attitude does not go over well with me.

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to: