Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:20:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL Requests Input  (Read 34793 times)
Uuno

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 09:05:42 AM

I don't "work for" competition. I developed an opensource bitstream, with some incentive from Enterpoint (but mostly funded through a community bounty). I'm also open to porting that bitstream to other boards. It's fully open-source.

I did say in my post I'm currently "aligned" with their competition though. But I can be professional and impartial. It's hardly a conflict of interest. More open manufacturers in the ASIC space is good for bitcoin. Period. I may not trust BFL very much right now, but that's because some of their practices earlier on have been questionable to be honest (in my opinion of course). But this is an opportunity for them to set the record straight, and I am willing to help (if they are honest about being open). But as I said, I won't "hide" information.

Whoever ends up going, (if anyone) I would highly suggest someone already sceptical of BFL though. Proving yourself to an existing supporter means nothing. Proving yourself to a sceptic carries a LOT more weight.

In addition I would  reccomend whoever ends up going open up to the community for a list of "proof" they would like to see. such as
- Questions to get answers to
- Specific technical details
- Things to photograph
and so on. The list can then be compiled, and reviewed by BFL. If they don't feel comfortable disclosing some of the points on the list, they can offer explanations why up front. That way the trip has defined expectations up front. If someone goes, with a list of things to find out, then gets stifled by an NDA of some kind or whatever, or can't find the answers to half of the questions the community wants, it's worth nothing to BFL, and it's a waste of the traveller's time. (and a waste of time for the community).

Good answer. I stand corrected Smiley (I also hope you get Bitcoind Syndicate recover from that disaster, good luck!)

Send all your money here: 1CRTegc4fdeJYwTPGYTuGq3nFBbgvHc23c
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4536
Merit: 1847

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 11:11:08 AM

I vote for Gmaxwell.
I don't think Luke-Jr's lap dog would be appropriate ...
Anyone who would be "his" Lap-Dog would be easily compromised ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
OneMINER

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 12:53:48 PM

Can you imagine how annoying reeses and Inaba would be if they were in the same room? Let's try to stay on topic.
Also this doesn't really seem like the place for character assassination. Vote people up instead of trying to tear them down.

I don't think clearances should be considered as a qualification for this trip. As ||bit pointed out, #1 that's kinda stupid, #2 how in the hell can you verify it besides waving a piece of paper around? I don't think anybody wants to call whatever organization takes care of clearances.

Vote for OneMiner because I'm less annoying and loud.  Tongue
Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 01:14:39 PM

I don't think clearances should be considered as a qualification for this trip.

The clearances aren't justification for him going. It's part of the reason for why he doesn't want to go. If he does, then he would need to self-report his association with Sonny due to Sonny's criminal background. This is what you are supposed to do because if you don't and they find out, they will pull your clearance, although I don't feel this reporting would make a difference. I do wonder if he has reported his association with Trendon, but pirate hasn't been prosecuted yet.

It doesn't matter anyway, reece doesn't need an excuse to not go, he could say that airplane seats are too damn small and that should be good enough.

robocoin

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 01:22:48 PM

Can you imagine how annoying reeses and Inaba would be if they were in the same room? Let's try to stay on topic.
Also this doesn't really seem like the place for character assassination. Vote people up instead of trying to tear them down.

I don't think clearances should be considered as a qualification for this trip. As ||bit pointed out, #1 that's kinda stupid, #2 how in the hell can you verify it besides waving a piece of paper around? I don't think anybody wants to call whatever organization takes care of clearances.

Vote for OneMiner because I'm less annoying and loud.  Tongue

This thread only makes sense if you have this two on ignore.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 01:25:14 PM

I vote for Gmaxwell.

Roll Eyes
Coinoisseur

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 01:41:39 PM

What's the office address for BFL in KC?
Their Contact Us page says they just have a PO box, but then it also links to an address.

This is why I'm asking for the working office address straight from BFL Josh. Is this (25E East 12th Street) the working office address for Butterfly Labs, Inc.? If not what is the correct address?

BFL Josh/Inaba can you take a minute out of your argument with Reeses and provide an answer for this? I mean you are offering to fly people in to inspect BFL operations so it shouldn't be a big deal to state officially what the operating office address is (not a PO Box).

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

JL421

Activity: 812
Merit: 510

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 01:53:01 PM

I'll take a 1,200 mile round trip road trip one weekend (Provided someone pays standard mileage) and record everything that they will let me take pictures/video of.

I would like to mention that I am a completely neutral party in this, and have the ability to grasp technical info. I will sign an NDA about processes used if required.

Really I just want someone to produce a product.

enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:02:13 PM

At the risk of the trolls following me back here again, I cast my vote for gmaxwell and JoelKatz.

*runs away*
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:12:33 PM

I vote for Gmaxwell.

Cancel that, I vote gmaxwell for both spots so kano doesn't get one.  Cheesy

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
davidspitzer

Activity: 630

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:48:49 PM

I guess a courteous offer for a free trip, disclosure and reporting back on the BFL operational facilities was not sufficient to prevent the same people, from presenting the same negative arguments over again.  It reminds me of this joke:

=======================

A family had twin boys whose only resemblance to each other was their looks. If one felt it was too hot, the other thought it was too cold. If one said the TV was too loud, the other claimed the volume needed to be turned up. Opposite in every way, one was an eternal optimist, the other a doom and gloom pessimist.

Just to see what would happen, on the twins' birthday their father loaded the pessimist's room with every imaginable toy and game. The optimist's room he loaded with horse manure.

That night the father passed by the pessimist's room and found him sitting amid his new gifts crying bitterly.

"Why are you crying?" the father asked.

"Because my friends will be jealous, I'll have to read all these instructions before I can do anything with this stuff, I'll constantly need batteries, and my toys will eventually get broken." answered the pessimist twin.

Passing the optimist twin's room, the father found him dancing for joy in the pile of manure. "What are you so happy about?" he asked.

To which his optimist twin replied, "There's got to be a pony in here somewhere!"

===============
Look for the Pony....
Perhaps we could give optimism a try, give BFL the opportunity to prove itself and last but not least put a hold on the repetitive negative threads which are tedious and no longer add any value.

I do not know anyone well enough, in particular to nominate, but I Applaud BFL for this move and look forward to hearing the lucky travelers account.

This post is also a social experiment to see if the person(s) who I refrained from naming can resist posting another random tirade in response. Anyone want to lay odds?

Keep up the great effort BFL

Thanks

David
robocoin

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:54:19 PM

At the risk of the trolls following me back here again, I cast my vote for gmaxwell and JoelKatz.

*runs away*

I still vote for you;) You'll anyway write a post about this:)
Coinoisseur

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 04:11:48 PM

@Davidspitzer, I don't think it's at all pessimistic to request their address of operations. My request has so far gone unanswered instead we have posts like yours engaging the trollish side of thread discussions. I mean they are offering to fly people in to alleviate concerns yet no address has been given officially for where their assembly takes place. It's great to say "I've been there I've seen them at work. Here are pictures." But where is here?

Feeding the trolls? "This post is also a social experiment to see if the person(s) who I refrained from naming can resist posting another random tirade in response. Anyone want to lay odds?"

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

wknight
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin calls me an Orphan

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 04:16:34 PM

I retract my name. There would be to much drama involved and I would like to stay away from it.

Mining Both Bitcoin and Litecoin.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4536
Merit: 1847

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 04:17:58 PM

Actually - since my name was mentioned - but I am certainly not going
I might as well put up 2 names:

sunbreak and ChipGeek

They both seem to know quite a bit, they seem to be 2 different areas of expertise and so far I don't think anyone has anything bad to say about either of them Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 04:37:02 PM

*runs away*

I still vote for you;) You'll anyway write a post about this:)

Oh I'd write the hell out of it, to be sure. I'm simply saying that while I have a fair background in EE there is almost certainly someone with a better EE background who could coax much more information from a PCB than myself. While I'd love a tour of BFL I think the community might be better served if I had followup interviews with the folks who do go. It will end up on the blog either way, rest assured.
davidspitzer

Activity: 630

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 04:38:59 PM

@Davidspitzer, I don't think it's at all pessimistic to request their address of operations. My request has so far gone unanswered instead we have posts like yours engaging the trollish side of thread discussions. I mean they are offering to fly people in to alleviate concerns yet no address has been given officially for where their assembly takes place. It's great to say "I've been there I've seen them at work. Here are pictures." But where is here?

Feeding the trolls? "This post is also a social experiment to see if the person(s) who I refrained from naming can resist posting another random tirade in response. Anyone want to lay odds?"

Your inability to resist replying (a deliciously ironic one, Ill give you), is unfortunate.  My original point, is BFL is attempting to answer your questions by inviting members of the community, (on their dime) onsite in order that they can report back. Asking the same tired questions over and over again will not speed their answering. (are we there yet, are we there yet...) BFL seems to be attempting to answer peoples questions, if only there is some patience, allowing them to do so. Given the sheer volume of inquiries it will take some time to appease everyone's inquiries.

This is the only reply on this matter I will give. I am sure others will feel compelled to retort and attack but they will have to do so in a vacuum and I implore others to do the same. I do not intend to debate with anyone or "feed the trolls". I must confess I really enjoyed being called a troll, in response to a plea for civility. I understand that social dynamics are, at best, a twisted version of the real world. That does not mean you have to sink to that level and engage in behavior and discourse that, regardless of your assertions to the contrary, you would never do in a face to face communication.

Your questions have been asked. Please give BFL the common courtesy of working through the answers for you. Plus it makes it extremely hard to filter out the incessant noise so that one can actually hear the real information.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 04:52:56 PM

I'm tempted to fly out there myself on my own dollar, partially to do my own research before I make the purchase, and partially just to satisfy my curio city about what a BTC hardware business looks like (plus I wouldn't mind meeting some of the people). However, since I have already "defended" BFL from some of the more unsubstantiated accusations out there, I doubt anything I report back will be of any value.
I'm sure any one of the BTC developers will work though. Unless you want to remain secretive regarding visuals, I'm sure a live video stream of your facilities will work as well, and will be way cheaper than airfare.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 05:03:10 PM

We are discussing the possibility of an open house type event internally in addition to an "official" person verifying things as well.  No, I don't have a date on when that might be as of yet.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Coinoisseur

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 05:18:07 PM

Can you at least give us an address?

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to: