Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 07:07:04 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Already delays in BFL shipment plans?  (Read 49500 times)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 02:51:34 AM
Last edit: November 01, 2012, 01:52:37 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Isn't the jalepeno supposed to be hot to the touch? Hence the "coffee warmer" part.

It will never be able to warm a cup of coffee, unless you like your coffee room temperature.

It wasn't meant to warm a cup of coffee, but to keep it warm, but you are correct in your assessment.

But let's now examine this from another angle. Why go through all the trouble of building a unit that exerts as little heat as possible, yet market it as an item to place a 180o cup of coffee on, thus heating it up.

A coffee warmer is basically designed to keep a hot cup of coffee warm as long as possible, and not a heating device to warm/heat coffee starting at room temperature.

Therefore, from a marketing standpoint, I would have named it PepinoFrío.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 05:01:10 AM

Isn't the jalepeno supposed to be hot to the touch? Hence the "coffee warmer" part.

It will never be able to warm a cup of coffee, unless you like your coffee room temperature.

It wasn't meant to warm a cup of coffee, but to keep it warm, but you are correct in your assessment.

But let's now examine this from another angle. Why go through all the trouble of building a unit that exerts as little heat as possible, yet market it as an item to place a 180o cup of coffee on, thus heating it up.

A coffee warmer is basically designed to keep a hot cup of coffee warm as long as possible, and not a heating device to warm/heat coffee starting at room temperature.

Therefore, from a marketing standpoint, I would have name it PepinoFrío.

I guarantee 4.5W of power can heat up a cup of coffee. Hell, you could even get water to boil!  All that's needed is a little add-on gadget: a perfectly insulating tent. It's a box made of styrofoam, with IR-reflective coating on the inside. It's got inductively coupled connection for electrical power, and a wireless data passthrough. Open the box. Place your Jalapeno inside and hook it up. Place the cup on top. Close the lid and seal the box. Establish the connection and start mining.  After a week or so you will have mined 0.07 bitcoins, boiled a cup of water, and fried a jalapeno. Quite an accomplishment.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
scrybe

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 05:04:46 AM

I guarantee 4.5W of power can heat up a cup of coffee. Hell, you could even get water to boil!  All that's needed is a little add-on gadget: a perfectly insulating tent. It's a box made of styrofoam, with IR-reflective coating on the inside. It's got inductively coupled connection for electrical power, and a wireless data passthrough. Open the box. Place your Jalapeno inside and hook it up. Place the cup on top. Close the lid and seal the box. Establish the connection and start mining.  After a week or so you will have mined 0.07 bitcoins, boiled a cup of water, and fried a jalapeno. Quite an accomplishment.

That is instead of the Black Body heatsink, right?

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
SysRun

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 09:36:54 AM

fried jalapenos, now there's a treat we can all enjoy!

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 01:03:11 PM

I guarantee 4.5W of power can heat up a cup of coffee. Hell, you could even get water to boil!  All that's needed is a little add-on gadget: a perfectly insulating tent. It's a box made of styrofoam, with IR-reflective coating on the inside. It's got inductively coupled connection for electrical power, and a wireless data passthrough. Open the box. Place your Jalapeno inside and hook it up. Place the cup on top. Close the lid and seal the box. Establish the connection and start mining.  After a week or so you will have mined 0.07 bitcoins, boiled a cup of water, and fried a jalapeno. Quite an accomplishment.

It's not 4.5W of thermal energy. It's 4.5W of electrical energy. So it largely depends on the efficiency of the components they are using.

You lose power in 3 main places of these designs: AC to DC conversion (line voltage to input, so this doesn't apply to the jalapeno), the power supply section (converting from input voltage to the supply voltages), and the high frequency computation (in this case the ASIC chips).

That being said, only a fraction of that power will pop out as heat.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 01:13:42 PM

It's not 4.5W of thermal energy. It's 4.5W of electrical energy. So it largely depends on the efficiency of the components they are using.

You lose power in 3 main places of these designs: AC to DC conversion (line voltage to input, so this doesn't apply to the jalapeno), the power supply section (converting from input voltage to the supply voltages), and the high frequency computation (in this case the ASIC chips).

So what happens to the rest? I don't believe that hashes can be considered as "work" under the First Law of Thermodynamics.
Shermo

Activity: 272

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 01:15:26 PM

It will all be heat, unless it produces light or sound?  Huh
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 01:58:40 PM

It will all be heat, unless it produces light or sound?  Huh

But if you get it to vibrate, a whole new client base will pre-order the device, albeit LadyBytes, et al., will prefer to have it renamed Pepino.
Fjordbit

Activity: 588

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 02:38:03 PM

But if you get it to vibrate, a whole new client base will pre-order the device, albeit LadyBytes, et al., will prefer to have it renamed Pepino.

That kind of fits. There's already a popular device of that nature called the butterfly.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 02:56:51 PM

That kind of fits. There's already a popular device of that nature called the butterfly.
There must be a way to hash mechanically... A steampunk miner/vibrator. It's OrgASMIC! (Application-Specific Mining Integrated Circuit)

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 03:00:12 PM

So what happens to the rest? I don't believe that hashes can be considered as "work" under the First Law of Thermodynamics.

Exactly.

Short of electromagnetic losses and losses due to induction which are marginal under the circumstances of a IC all of the energy consumed by a chip will end as heat one way or the other.
abeaulieu

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 03:55:13 PM

Exactly.

Short of electromagnetic losses and losses due to induction which are marginal under the circumstances of a IC all of the energy consumed by a chip will end as heat one way or the other.

True, electromagnetic energy loss is quite small compared to thermal energy lost. Light, even just a blinking LED, is actually more substantial. I guess what I meant to say is the heat you're generating will not be concentrated in a fashion that easily lends way to heating a cup of coffee, but I could be wrong.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 05:20:17 PM

Exactly.

True, electromagnetic energy loss is quite small compared to thermal energy lost. Light, even just a blinking LED, is actually more substantial. I guess what I meant to say is the heat you're generating will not be concentrated in a fashion that easily lends way to heating a cup of coffee, but I could be wrong.

Most small display LEDs are going to be run at a few milliwatts, and even then the actual output of light will be lower. Only a fraction of the power will end up as heat, but it will be a very, very large fraction.
Merrick

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 04:59:05 AM

There must be a way to hash mechanically... A steampunk miner/vibrator. It's OrgASMIC! (Application-Specific Mining Integrated Circuit)

I'd buy one...
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 07:34:47 PM

So... Is everyone content that you will not see your bfl hardware until 2013?
abeaulieu

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 07:43:27 PM

fcmatt is certainly not bitter because he didn't place an order.
Badonkadonk

Activity: 560

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 07:43:45 PM

i fell asleep on the couch earlyer and dremt my pre orders had just arrived.... man it SUCKS too wake up sometimes lol

Jack1Rip1BurnIt

Activity: 350

Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 07:47:20 PM

Pretty much. Celebrate if we get them sonner but dont count on it so you wont be dissapointed when iit doesn't happen.

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
SLok

Activity: 568

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 07:55:29 PM

Haven't heard anyone of importance stating that, sofar.

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2012, 07:58:07 PM

I'll certainly be around to say: I told you that too.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: