Poll
Question: Is the earth a globe/sphere?
Of course! - 31 (62%)
No, we've been lied to. - 17 (34%)
I just don't know for sure... - 2 (4%)
Total Voters: 50

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is there such an insurgence of flat-earthers in 2015?  (Read 29767 times)
Okurkabinladin

Activity: 574
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 10:30:41 AM
Last edit: July 25, 2015, 10:41:12 AM by Okurkabinladin

I think some people have way to much spare time on their hands for their own good.

Its funny, when you think how deluded these people are.

So how does the internet work, huh? Since the Earth is flat, the satellite network cannot exist, there is no signal broadcast and no internet!

The internet is carried over fiber optic cables not bounced off the ionosphere with microwaves (satellite).

Where does internet in your mobile phone fit in? Or navigation in your automobile?

Denying Earths roundness isnt just sign of "creative thinking" but virtual denial of everything we have learned on the field of physics in the past two centuries, putting you on the same footing as those Saudi immams, who said on record, that ovulation is responsible for earthquakes or that (flat?) Earth is being orbited by (round) Sun.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 11:24:21 AM

I think some people have way to much spare time on their hands for their own good.

So how does the internet work, huh? Since the Earth is flat, the satellite network cannot exist, there is no signal broadcast and no internet!

The internet is carried over fiber optic cables not bounced off the ionosphere with microwaves (satellite).

Where does internet in your mobile phone fit in? Or navigation in your automobile?

Internet data on mobile phones is relayed via cellular transceivers on towers all over the place.

The "GPS" used in automobile navigation is relayed via microwaves bounced off the ionosphere.

Denying Earths roundness isnt just sign of "creative thinking" but virtual denial of everything we have learned on the field of physics in the past two centuries, putting you on the same footing as those Saudi immams, who said on record, that ovulation is responsible for earthquakes or that (flat?) Earth is being orbited by (round) Sun.

It's the globe Earth theory that's the result of "creative thinking" in the biggest mass mind-control conspiracy of all time. The creative thinkers who concocted this knew the Earth was flat when they dreamt it up 500 years ago.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 11:42:53 AM
Last edit: July 25, 2015, 02:40:21 PM by Buffer Overflow

The ONLY debate here is; are the flat people just trolling or genuinely delusional?

notbatman
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 12:07:58 PM

Notice how the only thing the round-earthers can do is throw shit and attack anybody who disagrees with them.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 02:53:07 PM

Notice how the only thing the round-earthers can do is throw shit and attack anybody who disagrees with them.

Come on, the flat earth joke was funny at first but it's wearing thin now, time to stop.

notbatman
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 03:10:21 PM

Come on, the flat earth joke was funny at first but it's wearing thin now, time to stop.

MakingMoneyHoney (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 03:49:38 PM

Try to step back and think what if? (without believing it)

What if it is true? Think of how much had to have been lied about? If it is true, the sun is orbiting the Earth.

This is a map of the flat Earth by temperature. Guess where the sun's path would be, if this was the case? Doesn't it all just seem more symmetrical? The radius would get larger or smaller depending on what season it was.

Yes, I saw that too. They say they don't have time to waste discounting it because they have faith in what science has taught them.

I added a poll to the topic.
Okurkabinladin

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 03:51:36 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2015, 04:02:12 PM by Okurkabinladin

Are you even aware, that Europeans of middle ages already knew, that Earth was round? That it was concieved by ancient Greeks two and half millenia ago?

Ever heard of PYTHAGORAS? Yeah, that guy.

Two hundred years later Eratosthenes actually calculated Earths diameter correctly.

So you can aswell throw out all your images and computers out of the window, since you are dismissing absolute basics of human understanding of both physics and mathematics.

Reminds me of Saudi imam, who was absolutely sure (he is on Youtube), that Earth isnt rotating at all, since that would mean (in his little brain), that he would never get anywhere by an airplane "against the stream". He also had problems with understanding implications of what he said.

Okurkabinladin

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 04:08:35 PM

Now, thinking about it, this is entertaining, I might "throw shit" at you guys more slowly, so you can catch it too.

What shape are other planets of the Solar system and why? Or is the Solar system hoax too?
MakingMoneyHoney (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 04:13:23 PM

Two hundred years later Eratosthenes actually calculated Earths diameter correctly.

So you can aswell throw out all your images and computers out of the window, since you are dismissing absolute basics of human understanding of both physics and mathematics.

Reminds me of Saudi imam, who was absolutely sure (he is on Youtube), that Earth isnt rotating at all, since that would mean (in his little brain), that he would never get anywhere by an airplane "against the stream". He also had problems with understanding implications of what he said.

That picture shows something that a video just talked about. Over distance the building or ships, etc should be tipped. NYC/Philadelphia skylines visible from 60 miles away because Earth is FLAT

Now, thinking about it, this is entertaining, I might "throw shit" at you guys more slowly, so you can catch it too.

What shape are other planets of the Solar system and why? Or is the Solar system hoax too?

The solar system, as you know it, would have to be a hoax. Did you watch the video of the man who painted a planet for NASA? Or check out the story about the book, Pluto’s Face Predicted in 1979? "Space Artist Don Dixon predicted what Pluto looked like back in 1979 … and he nailed it."

God created stars and the sun and the moon for time keepers (Genesis), not for destinations.
Okurkabinladin

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 04:24:33 PM

I find it hilarious, that you think you should be able the observe "roundness" of Earth with bare eyes, since its diameter is in excess of 42 000 kilometres, human being is not able to observe even half percent of that with perfect sight, standing on mountain top.

You use (often illustrative) images, that you cannot comprehend to prove your point and instead of making your own calculations, that would somehow prove your "Sun orbits flat Earth" theory, you source a Youtube video  Grin

On the other hand, I noticed, that you quoted Bible, when asked for the "rest" of Space. My assumption about your relation to those muslim clerics was correct then.
MakingMoneyHoney (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 04:56:45 PM

I find it hilarious, that you think you should be able the observe "roundness" of Earth with bare eyes, since its diameter is in excess of 42 000 kilometres, human being is not able to observe even half percent of that with perfect sight, standing on mountain top.

You use (often illustrative) images, that you cannot comprehend to prove your point and instead of making your own calculations, that would somehow prove your "Sun orbits flat Earth" theory, you source a Youtube video  Grin

On the other hand, I noticed, that you quoted Bible, when asked for the "rest" of Space. My assumption about your relation to those muslim clerics was correct then.

Occam's Razor: The principle states that among competing hypotheses that predict equally well, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.

People have believed the Earth was flat for longer than they have believed the Earth was a sphere. Even the UN, and for some reason the National Weather Service use a flat Earth map. When you walk outside, it looks flat, it acts flat. I understand that supposedly as you go farther away you should be slanting down the side of the Earth. However you're claiming you can't see that (though there are a lot of videos with telescopes that claim to go for miles and miles and miles and still seem perfectly horizontal) The way the sun and moon and temperatures rotate around the world seem symmetrical in a flat Earth model.

Now to believe NASA and the leaders of the countries, and the UN (who has a flat Earth map as their logo and have the Antarctic protected so an average go can't go by himself) as to what else exists in the universe, seems to be taking a lot of assumptions, that most people don't test out.

I would think Occam's Razor should leave you to believe the one with the less assumptions. What you see is what you get? What you see is flat. I find it hilarious that the page for Occam's Razor has it saying the Earth being in the center of the universe is wrong because of Occam's Razor. Yes I know that goes against my point, but I find that so funny. I just like to have an open mind and consider both sides of things. Hopefully someone's having fun too, with an open mind, reading this.

I'm not going to place faith in scientists. They don't even claim it's a religion, and yet people hold them up as an idol. I put my faith in the bible.

Christianity isn't muslim. This page describes verses from the bible that state the earth is flat, and says Allah predicts the Earth was egg-shaped.

"Conclusion: The Bible not only failed to claim that the Earth was egg-shaped, but it also claimed in numerous verses as shown above that the Earth is flat, has Edges, has Four Corners, has Pillars, and has Foundations.  As I said above, no unbiased person would deny the obvious and embarrassing quotes above.  Only the desperate biased Jews and Christians would."

You act like believing in the bible is atrocious, and idiotic. But it's certainly predicted things in the past, and things for the future that are coming true currently. So many things about the world that are unexplained by science, make perfect sense to me with my belief in the bible. I'm constantly running into articles, weird things, and saying, "ohhhh.... that's why." I've been through the asking if God was real thing already. The answer I found was "yes". So I won't find it to be an insult, lol.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 04:58:07 PM

This would be true if the earth had no atmosphere. In reality due to atmospheric refraction, more of the ship would be visable to the observer in the lighthouse. How much light would be refracted would depend on air temperature, pressure and humidity.

So you see, light refraction allows us to see further round the earth than the maths says we can, NOT because the earth is flat.

MakingMoneyHoney (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 05:05:21 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2015, 06:38:44 PM by MakingMoneyHoney

{img}

This would be true if the earth had no atmosphere. In reality due to atmospheric refraction, more of the ship would be visable to the observer in the lighthouse. How much light would be refracted would depend on air temperature, pressure and humidity.

So you see, light refraction allows us to see further round the earth than the maths says we can, NOT because the earth is flat.

That's so funny. Yeah I've heard of it before. Just goes along with all the assumptions people believe thanks to scientists. To believe in the sphere Earth you really have to believe a lot of assumptions based on scientists' studies.

And this is a "mirage" (Edit: this was sarcasm that was missed apparently)

Mirage of Chicago skyline seen from Michigan shoreline

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 05:32:35 PM

{img}

That's so funny. Yeah I've heard of it before. Just goes along with all the assumptions people believe thanks to scientists. To believe in the sphere Earth you really have to believe a lot of assumptions based on scientists' studies.

And this is a "mirage"

Yes, correct this is a type of mirage. Because light waves are bent around the earth due refraction.
If the Earth was flat, light rays that bend down would soon hit the ground and only nearby objects would be affected making these types of mirages impossible.

I see you are finally coming round to understanding the Earth is round.  Smiley

MakingMoneyHoney (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 06:26:28 PM

{img}

And this is a "mirage"

Yes, correct this is a type of mirage. Because light waves are bent around the earth due refraction.
If the Earth was flat, light rays that bend down would soon hit the ground and only nearby objects would be affected making these types of mirages impossible.

Not so much. The most reasonable explanation looking at the Chicago skyline from the Michigan Shoreline would be to believe you're actually seeing Chicago because the Earth is flat. Remember Occam's Razor? "among competing hypotheses that predict equally well, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected."

A person who believes in the flat Earth and sees a city skyline from 60 miles away, doesn't have to explain anything.

A person who believes in the globe Earth and sees a city skyline from 60 miles away, they have to explain....

"The clear skies, and cool weather ( aided even more by the cool lake water) creates an inversion. A layer of air near the surface that's cooler than air higher in the atmosphere. This creates a bending or ducting effect where the light ( image) instead of going in a normal straight line into space, curves back towards the surface of the earth.

This same phenomena can also be seen on the radar in the form of "ground clutter" the inversion is taking the radar beam (light) and bending back towards the surface of the earth, creating a "ring" effect. "

notbatman
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 06:36:16 PM

{img}

And this is a "mirage"

Nice to see you've cut down on the flying crap and insults.  Grin

However, this is what a mirage looks like:

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 06:42:56 PM

{img}

And this is a "mirage"

Not so much. The most reasonable explanation looking at the Chicago skyline from the Michigan Shoreline would be to believe you're actually seeing Chicago because the Earth is flat. Remember Occam's Razor? "among competing hypotheses that predict equally well, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected."

A person who believes in the flat Earth and sees a city skyline from 60 miles away, doesn't have to explain anything.

A person who believes in the globe Earth and sees a city skyline from 60 miles away, they have to explain....

The flat Earh person has to explain MUCH more than the global Earth person because they are assuming every scientific experiment that has every taken place and been proved is wrong, because of the domino effect.

You see that's the very problem flat people have, and why their position is impossible to stand by.
They cannot explain flat earth without sweeping other scientfic proofs out the window, which in turn sweeps other scientfic proofs out the window, which in turn sweeps ............................., in the end they are questioning how we think atoms work. Hundreds of thousands of experiments over thousands of years rejected and thrown in the bin. Good luck with that.

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 06:46:06 PM

Nice to see you've cut down on the flying crap and insults.  Grin

However, this is what a mirage looks like:

Yes that's a mirage, but there are different types of mirages such as inferior mirages and superior mirages.
Please educate yourself on the subject before posting again. Thanks.  Cheesy

MakingMoneyHoney (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 07:01:57 PM

The flat Earh person has to explain MUCH more than the global Earth person because they are assuming every scientific experiment that has every taken place and been proved is wrong, because of the domino effect.

You see that's the very problem flat people have, and why their position is impossible to stand by.
They cannot explain flat earth without sweeping other scientfic proofs out the window, which in turn sweeps other scientfic proofs out the window, which in turn sweeps .............................

I get what you're saying. Yes, there does have to be a conspiracy a foot if you believe in the flat Earth model.

in the end they are questioning how we think atoms work. Hundreds of thousands of experiments over thousands of years rejected and thrown in the bin. Good luck with that.

Ah... but scientists don't know how things like atoms work, do you?

"The big bang should have created equal amounts of matter and antimatter in the early universe. But today, everything we see from the smallest life forms on Earth to the largest stellar objects is made almost entirely of matter. Comparatively, there is not much antimatter to be found. Something must have happened to tip the balance. One of the greatest challenges in physics is to figure out what happened to the antimatter, or why we see an asymmetry between matter and antimatter."

The matter-antimatter asymmetry problem - From CERN the people who brought you the pentaquark.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: