Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:32:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First Look at BFL's ASIC Hardware  (Read 16050 times)
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 01:07:11 PM

Is this Dragonball Z?  Huh
I think so, but instead of waiting really long to fight and have arguments and grunts beforehand, we wait really long for either side to show reasonable evidence and we argue and grunt beforehand.

hi
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 01:51:07 PM

Now look at that.

For those who don't follow the SA thread on the Bitcoin Drama: Look closely at this rendering. There are some chips sticking over the board and also some chips are overlapping. (on the right for those who can't see it)
Also I noticed that the mounting holes in the middle are too close to the traces from the pins of the middle chips.

Mark my words. This is a scam.

Marked.
The fallout from this will be epic.  Cheesy
abeaulieu

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:03:10 PM

Why doesn't this board have pads for decoupling capacitors for the ICs? Usually they are placed on the bottom of each chip!

Here's a raspberry pi bottom.
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/06/19/Raspberry_Pi_35332544_04_1.jpg

You're really hung up on these decoupling capacitors, aren't you. lol

Looking at their layout, it looks like they're doing the right thing by secluding the power domains of the ASICs from other dirty power. And they're probably using the inter-layer capacitance to their advantage against noise (probably at least a 6-layer board?). The larger IC-looking devices around the outside of the ASICs look to be capacitors (according to their silkscreen designators).

They have a few caps in the middle of the ASIC array and a few in between them. I would be rather surprised if they placed decoupling caps underneath the ASICs as you mentioned. It looks like they're trying to sink a lot of heat through the bottom, note the large vias on the bottom underneath each ASIC. My guess is they will make those vias un-tented and place a heat sink(s) on the bottom to extract that heat.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:51:38 PM

Now look at that.

For those who don't follow the SA thread on the Bitcoin Drama: Look closely at this rendering. There are some chips sticking over the board and also some chips are overlapping. (on the right for those who can't see it)
Also I noticed that the mounting holes in the middle are too close to the traces from the pins of the middle chips.

Mark my words. This is a scam.

Marked.
The fallout from this will be epic.  Cheesy

Again, that doesn't necessarily mean anything that the 3D render doesn't look correct. They often don't, depending on the package you use and how much time was put into the component models. Take a look at some of those ceramic caps like the one before U4 and U8, they're unrealistically high. That doesn't mean the actual component will be that high. There's issues with the 3D render, but not enough that I'd call it a fake. Maybe you could convince them to release the gerber of the top copper layer. It wouldn't be enough for a competitor to get any real information from, but it would give those of us who are curious a little more information.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 03:35:49 PM

I mistyped the overlapping chips on the layout is actually on the left, also some on the bottom.

Anyway, right of course this isn't proof of fraudulent activity. A simple explanation could be that it was just a quick job without particular attention to detail. I'm not one of these people who are convinced of a scam, although given the recent background check and the whole confidence game taking place I consider it a strong possibility.

It is simply that given the track record of bitcoin there is a certain feeling to legitimate enterprises here. Something about openness and community involvement which simply aren't present with BFL. Look at the X6500 or ZTEX as an example, then look at Mybitcoin and Bruce Wagner.
It's a certain feeling of professionalism which comes with legitimacy. Again this is not generally true but only a strong indicator.
Make up your own mind.  Smiley
Photon939

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:44:22 PM

I mistyped the overlapping chips on the layout is actually on the left, also some on the bottom.

Anyway, right of course this isn't proof of fraudulent activity. A simple explanation could be that it was just a quick job without particular attention to detail. I'm not one of these people who are convinced of a scam, although given the recent background check and the whole confidence game taking place I consider it a strong possibility.

It is simply that given the track record of bitcoin there is a certain feeling to legitimate enterprises here. Something about openness and community involvement which simply aren't present with BFL. Look at the X6500 or ZTEX as an example, then look at Mybitcoin and Bruce Wagner.
It's a certain feeling of professionalism which comes with legitimacy. Again this is not generally true but only a strong indicator.

But...but...that requires rational thought   Sad

Smiley

Yeah I pointed out earlier that often when using stock PCB rendering models they often do not do a very good job of conveying what the actual boards would look like. I do not see any glaring faults in the design.
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:51:01 PM

Now if look you closely at this post, just can see it's pretty obvious that the poster has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Of course this isn't proof of total ignorance. A simple explanation is that it was a quick trolling without particular attention to detail. I'm not one of these people who are convinced of blanket trolling, although given the recent trolling posts and the whole trolling game taking place I consider it a strong possibility.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 03:58:39 PM

... and the whole confidence game taking place I consider it a strong possibility.
Hate to quote myself but...
I love how you weren't able to make fun of this part.  Roll Eyes
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 11:07:23 PM

Now if look you closely at this post, just can see it's pretty obvious that the poster has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Of course this isn't proof of total ignorance. A simple explanation is that it was a quick trolling without particular attention to detail. I'm not one of these people who are convinced of blanket trolling, although given the recent trolling posts and the whole trolling game taking place I consider it a strong possibility.

I actually enjoy a bit of electric mucus...but that right there is funny as fuck

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: